Feb

Open Thread: 2/17 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Pitchers and catchers reported to Tampa for Spring Training today, but physicals were the only item on the agenda. The first full squad workout is scheduled for tomorrow. Here are Sunday’s updates…

• As (almost) always, Chad Jennings has the day’s bullpen and batting practice assignments. More than a dozen pitchers faced hitters in live batting practice, but Ivan Nova and Joba Chamberlain were the only projected big leaguers. Slade Heathcott and Tyler Austin were among those to stand in the box.
  • Since Derek Jeter is going to be limited early in camp, the Yankees plan to use Eduardo Nunez there quite a bit. Joe Girardi doesn’t expect to use him anywhere else at the moment. Brian Cashman did say Nunez would be a utility man if he makes the team. [Jennings]
  • Travis Hafner won’t participate in fielding drills during camp, which is something he started doing with the Indians in an effort to stay healthy. He joked that he just gives away the gloves they send him ever winter. [Jennings & Bryan Hoch]
  • Phil Hughes confirmed that he won’t be throwing his cutter — which he stopped using in May if last season, really — anymore. “It died a loud death,” he quipped. [Jack Curry]

Here is your open thread for this windy and chilly evening. The Rangers are playing, plus the NBA is holding their All-Star Game. Talk about either game or anything else here. Have at it.

1. jjyank says:

Hah, love that line from Hughes.

2. raul the ibonez says:

Ha sound like Phlippil Hughes g=is trying to improv #rti

3. Did anyone else see LoHud tweet that Ichiro arrived to camp in a ‘glitter yankee hat’? I gotta see a picture of that.

4. Zack D says:

Aceves acting like a clown on first day of spring training. Stupid cashman right?

5. Pat D says:

Tim Tebow needs to grow some intelligence.

• Herby says:

He probably figures his football career is over, and the religious nut jobs will pay a lot of cash to have a NFL player speak for them. I doubt a team would touch him after that though.

• Eat'em Up says:

You’re such a damn loud mouth fool. I don’t think Tebow needs advice from some washed up punk who’s greatest accomplishment is helping people with a smartphone. Go play with your WWF action figures and leave the real world issues to the adults.

• vicki says:

i mostly think it’s best not to acknowledge an hysterical tantrum, but must tonight fold to your troll-tastic-ness.

adults don’t address each other like this.

also, tebow sucks. in every way. and his hair looks like somebody came on a porcupine.

• Pat D says:

You mad, bro?

Stop changing your handle name. And since you seem to remember every single detail about everything I’ve ever said about myself on this site, I think you need to get over this obsession you seem to have with me.

6. Mickey Scheister says:

Will Darrel be back? Will Rick stop being crazy? Who will kill the Governor?!? Stay tuned, the Waking Dead.

• jjyank says:

Holy fuck. I totally forgot about the Walking Dead, thank you good sir for reminding me to tune in.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Honestly, Cutty popping up in the last couple of episodes is the only reason I’m still watching the show.

• Now Batting says:

I was ready to give up on it after the mid-season finale of Season 2 (check the fucking barn!), but for me it’s been on the upswing ever since.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I actually stopped for a while then when my friend told me that Shane finally opened the barn, but I agree that it’s been worlds better since.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

I only started watching this past season because my roommate loves it, so I don’t have the frame of reference for how bad it can be.

Of course, the other shows I’ve binged on at the same time are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Freaks and Geeks, a rewatch of FNL, the first season of Treme and I’ve just started Sons of Anarchy.

The Walking Dead is a bit of a letdown compared to all of those.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Well The Wire is one of the best shows in the history of television, and Breaking Bad is considered an all time great as well. Freaks and Geeks IMO is also a GREAT show. However I think TWD is better than Treme and Sons of Anarchy. Also I have no idea what FNL is.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Also, how can you just jump into a show on it’s 3rd season and form an opinion? Season 1 was very good, and the second half of season 2 was as well…plus there was character development you clearly missed.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

I think the fact that I’m not already invested in the show makes it easier for me to see how questionable the acting and writing can be.

• Now Batting says:

I don’t think the writing is on the same level as The Wire or Breaking Bad but nothing is. I love the zombie premise and while it may not be the best it’s certainly the most entertaining.

• trr says:

Gotta admit, I’m hooked on that show…great episode tonight

• Dalek Jeter says:

Not for a few weeks, not any time soon or ever, my guess is Andrea, but not till the season finale.

• Dude! says:

I’m thinking both Daryl and Merle are going to be back at some point.

• Now Batting says:

Daryl and Merle will get some screen time being bad asses this week but little plot advancement, Rick gets his shit together just enough, and he kills the Governor but Andrea plays a big role in facilitating it.

• Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

I think daryl kills his brother, this episode to be exact.

• Now Batting says:

I read somewhere or other that a theory going around is Merle is acting as a spy for the Governor. I don’t buy it but it’s plausible. There’s so many ways the writers can go with it. I think the way they created actual interest in the character conflicts this season is what’s made the show so much better.

• Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Would not surprise me at all honestly, I think he is just there because he realizes the governer was going to kill him and he needs someone, he can’t survive alone

7. Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Everytime I hear Phill hughes and cutter in the same sentence I hear a loud cracking of a bat, and it is not a yankee bat. In other news, I can’t decide between the All-Star game and the walking dead.

• Dalek Jeter says:

The Walking Dead is a potential 5 tool prospect who is still a slightly above average player, event the most competitive real basketball game is a below average player.

• Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Well it is too late for that now, I took cito culver over mike olt( or tajuan walker, whichever you prefer)some time soon I am turning him into a pitcher though.

8. Havok9120 says:

The Rays signed Jack Cust.

Cashman failed.

9. Dalek Jeter says:

I just put on the NBA All-Star game two minutes ago so I can fast forward through the commercials of TWD…I’ve already seen 4 different travels.

10. Dalek Jeter says:

our invasion was a successful one.

11. Dalek Jeter says:

The zombie show now has ghosts. hells yeah.

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

I like how the Heat upgraded their bench during the break. Oh, wait…

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

Holy God, Alicia Keys.

I know her schtick is to modulate her voice so that it often sounds like she’s off-key before she winds up back in-key, but it’s not working tonight.

• Pat D says:

I can remember when people just…ya know…sang.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, c’mon. There were plenty of classic R&B and jazz divas who did the same thing. She didn’t make this up.

• Pat D says:

Not saying she did. I’m just saying that I pretty much can’t stand the way most people “sing” these days. I usually point my finger of blame at things like Christina Aguilera and American Idol.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Idol rewards that type of melisma for sure, but that’s been around forever. Hell, Aretha probably invented it, and don’t go telling me you’ve got a problem with her. :)

In other news, Jack Swagger? That won’t end well.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Swagger won the Elimination Chamber?

• Pat D says:

The only problem I have with Aretha is the whale that ate her and took over her body. Burn! (Yea, that was unnecessarily mean)

Swagger? I kinda saw that coming with the introduction of “Zeb Coulter,” a.k.a. Dutch Mantel. That type of rhetoric he spewed makes a Swagger/Del Rio match pretty logical. That being said, I honestly can’t believe they’re going to do that at WrestleMania. Since we know we’re getting Cena/Rock and Trips/Lesnar, and it’s looking more likely that there’ll be no Undertaker, where does that start to leave Punk, Kane, Bryan, Jericho, Orton, Sheamus, The Shield, Big Show, etc., etc….

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Political-type characters never end well.

Clearly this is headed towards Swagger the Tea Partier versus Del Rio the successful minority type, and you’d think it’d be good for Del Rio to be the face……until they hold Raw in an arena where Swagger gets cheered or something. Who knows.

If they would make him something other than a hobo’s Kurt Angle, maybe I’d care about Swagger.

BOOM. The Shield beat the Superfriends.

• Dalek Jeter says:

See, I was starting to like Swagger before he went off the racist thing.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Political commentary doesn’t work in pro wrestling simply because “pro wrestling” and “subtlety” don’t work together. Muhammad Hassan, Billy and Chuck, evil Sgt. Slaughter…..all just awful and every single one of them let to actual legitimate trouble for McMahon. This won’t end well, either. Wait until Swagger gets cheered in Oklahoma somewhere.

• Pat D says:

If Swagger does get cheered somewhere for this shit, I’ll be extremely disappointed. The worst thing about this type of character is that it really has such a short shelf-life. I mean, the evil Sgt. Slaughter wore out pretty fast, yet they let that drag all the way to SummerSlam that year despite the war ending before WrestleMania. And I don’t care what some think, I really believe the tea-party movement is already beginning to die, so it’s going to have a tough time of lasting.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Sgt. Slaughter was getting legitimate death threats. Also, though, he was never supposed to be the Iraqi sympathizer. He was supposed to come back as the Sarge, but thinking America had gone soft. Muhammad Hassan was supposed to be an Arab American rallying against discrimination. Don’t ask me what the fuck Billy and Chuck were supposed to be.

There was just way too much nuance to those characters, and they didn’t get a reaction until it was turned up to 11. Of course, then, complaints and protests occurred. The poor dude who played the Hassan character never wrestled again after that.

Expect Ricardo Rodriguez to be fake deported by March and the whole Swagger character dead by May….or not.

• Pat D says:

The Hassan character, I thought, was pretty good. The reason that the guy who played him never wrestled again is because he didn’t have the desire for it. They felt they couldn’t repackage him, either. That character would have lasted if they hadn’t been dumb enough to air the segments with him the day of the London bombings.

That was also the problem with that character. While he had legit grievances, he was too much a typical heel doing un-American things, like spitting on the ground when he came out, doing all the perceived Muslim or Arabic prayer-stuff that ultimately just made him a modern day Iron Sheik instead of a truly nuanced character.

It makes me wonder what Antonio Cesaro’s long-term future can be. His character is that he loves America, but hates Americans. Yet this past week when he was on commentary he said he carries the American flag because he has “conquered” America. Whoops, there goes the nuance and makes him just another typical anti-American heel.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

As long as he’s hitting that beautiful uppercut off the ropes and picking up 400 lbs. with ease into his finisher, Cesaro’s going to be a player. Love that dude.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think Punk either gets put into the Rock-Cena match or gets a final blow-off with Ryback, but I honestly think the latter is increasingly less likely. The luster is wearing off of Ryback fast. I won’t be surprised if he’s a heel by Summerslam. I stopped caring once they tweaked his finisher from a Muscle Buster to the glorified Fallaway Slam he’s got now.

• Pat D says:

I can’t see them turning Ryback heel anytime soon. Too many kids like him. Trust me, when I was at a bar watching Royal Rumble, this 10 year old kid sitting at the next table was cheering for him louder than anyone.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Yeah, “No One” seems like a long, long time ago.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

Also, in very loosely-related Yankee news, Mindy McCready committed suicide.

15. forensic says:

Since I know you’re all wondering, yes I am here in the middle of the night. :-)

I generally follow 3 college basketball teams and I’m catching up on the 2 TV games from today. So far, one escaped while continuing to play terribly and the second is in a dogfight in the 2nd half.