Feb

Pineda will begin to stretch out bullpen sessions, throw changeups

Via Chad Jennings: Right-hander Michael Pineda threw 25 pitches — all fastballs — as part of his latest bullpen session this morning. His surgically repaired right shoulder is doing well, so much so that he will stretch out to 30 pitches and begin to incorporate changeups next time out. Right now he’s only thrown changeups off flat ground, and I assume breaking balls are still a long ways off. It’s not much, but every small step forward is a big positive for Pineda given the severity of his injury.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Havok9120 says:

Pineda’s rehab is starting to remind me of this:

2. KeithK says:

I get why breaking balls are a much bigger deal than fastballs in terms of injury rehab. Breaking pitches put torque on the arm, which is more stressful. But it seems to me that throwing changeups should be pretty benign compared to fastballs. After the idea is to throw a change with the same arm motion as a fastball and simply change the grip. I throw accidental changeups all the time when I get a poor grip on the ball (as a position player).

I guess I’m saying that mixing in a few changeups doesn’t seem like that big of a step. I’ll be a lot more excited when i hear he’s throwing sliders.

• Now Batting says:

As far as recovery goes you’re right. The injury aside, the conjecture was he needed to learn a third pitch (change up) to become an ace. So in that regard I’m happy he’s working on it. Been hearing the same about Hughes for half a decade too though.

3. MANNYGEEE says:

I…I…. I guess we should ask about V-LO?

4. free speech says:

I hope I AM WRONG BUT I THINKING BUST.

5. qwerty says:

I wrote Pineda off way before most and it’s staying that way.

6. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really recognise what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my website =). We could have a link alternate arrangement between us