Mar

Open Thread: 3/20 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees beat the Red Sox this afternoon thanks to a four-run second inning that featured one double (Ben Francisco), one walk (Brett Gardner), two sacrifice flies (Jayson Nix and Eduardo Nunez), and a whole bunch of singles (Juan Rivera, Chris Stewart, Thomas Neal, and Melky Mesa). Vidal Nuno threw five shutout innings, allowing just two hits and one walk against one strikeout. David Robertson and Mark Montgomery each allowed a hit and struck a batter out in their scoreless innings while Joba Chamberlain tossed a perfect frame. It was his second consecutive day on the mound. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• During the YES broadcast of this afternoon’s game, CC Sabathia said he threw 92 pitches in a minor league game. It was his second-to-last outing before Opening Day, and he and his surgically repaired elbow came through the day just fine. Sabathia allowed one run with eight strikeouts in six innings. [Bryan Hoch]
  • Clay Rapada is going to try to throw a flat-ground bullpen session — regular pitching mechanics, but not on an actual mound — later this week as he comes back from shoulder bursitis. He still hasn’t been cleared to do anything more than play catch, however. [Chad Jennings]
  • Josh Spence left this afternoon’s game after getting hit in the barehand by a comeback ground ball. It wasn’t hard hit and it deflected off his glove first, but I guess the Yankees didn’t want to take any chances. For what it’s worth, YES showed Spence in the dugout laughing with teammates afterwards, so I guess it wasn’t anything serious. No official update, however.
  • Ronnie Mustelier was scratched from today’s game because he’s still banged up after running into the railing the other day. Forgotten right-hander David Herndon is throwing bullpens and could pitch in a game in late-April. He’s coming off Tommy John surgery and figures to be in the bullpen mix once healthy. [Chad Jennings]
  • Both Montgomery and Matt Tracy were sent to minor league camp following today’s game, the team announced. The Yankees are down to 46 players in big league camp, but my unofficial count.
  • There was a scout from the Yomiuri Giants in camp today. Japanese clubs usually monitor the final weeks of camp and try to poach guys on the roster bubble, which I guess could mean someone like Jim Miller or Thomas Neal. Who knows. [Josh Norris]
  • The Twins will be in Tampa for a night game tomorrow. David Phelps will start and you’ll be able to watch that one on YES.

Here is your open thread for the evening. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, so talk about either of those games or anything else here. Go nuts.

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I wonder if anyone at all has kept tabs on Brian Gordon since we sold him to Korea. One of the strangest afterthoughts in recent Yankee history.

2. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Just noticed in the latest edition of Baseball America Jim Callis got a question about which Top 100 players have the potential to move up the rankings when 2014 rankings come out. He gave a few players and one was Tyler Austin. “Don’t be surprised if Austin starts earning acclaim as one of the best pure hitters in the minors by the end of the season.” He writes. Don’t know if this was mentioned yet, I’ve been on the road a lot recently.

3. Dalek Jeter says:

So, I’m super late on this boat, but I’ll be damned if Parks and Rec isn’t one of the funniest shows on TV.

4. trr says:

after following them in the WBC, I need a break

5. vin says:

Regarding Rapada, does pitching off a mound put that much more stress on the arm than off flat ground? Or is it more of an issue of guys getting amped up to be on the mound because that’s what they’ve been trained to do? Or is it easier to throw at, say, 75% effort off flat ground because of balance?

6. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Mason Williams get in the game ???

7. MannyGeee says:

Who do you think the Yomuri Giants scout was reeeeeally there to see?

“Hey Ronnier, you like Tampa? Well Tokyo is gonna blow your DICK OFF!!!”
    – Hal Steinbrenner, with a check for 20M Yen in his pocket

8. Bob Buttons says:

My two cents on recent news (since I’m a bit bored and rather opinionated about them)

1) The guy who got shot entering the wrong house. Some of you may recall I’m a pro gun ban guy, but in this case the homeowner did nothing wrong, it’s just a series of unfortunate events. Drunk guy I’ve never met somehow got into my house at 2AM? Hell yeah I’m shooting. Annoys me that there are idiots out there who think the homeowner did something horribly wrong. Wrong, maybe, but not that wrong.

2) British tourist in the Indian hotel. If she can afford to travel to India I doubt she’s desperate enough to jump off her balcony to scam a guy. I also highly doubt that a woman travelling alone wants to be woken up at 4AM in India, amidst all the violent incidents towards women in recent days. However I find it strange nobody responded after ” She had shouted for help for more than an hour …” Either way, I know where I’m NEVER visiting in my lifetime.

• jjyank says:

I’ve been a bit disconnected from the news recently, but if India is that bad, my list of places to visit might need rethinking. Read: they’re all probably worse than India.

• Bob Buttons says:

That ain’t even the tip of the iceberg. A bunch of people raped a Swiss tourist while tying her husband up only weeks after the bus incident. In some places it’s a literal shithole. When your country is full of people, sanitary problems are bound to happen.

• Now Batting says:

BREAKING NEWS: India is a lousy country to visit

• Bob Buttons says:

Frankly I never had much hope for it but I’d never imagine it to be that crappy.

• Now Batting says:

I had a friend in undergrad who loved India. Learned Hindi and Urdu and studied the culture. He went to live there for 6 months. In the first week he had a bottle cracked over his head and was robbed at knife point. Been disenchanted ever since.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You get your news from interesting places, Bob.

• Bob Buttons says:

I try reading the news from several sites if it’s interesting enough because some sites update the news report. Just so happens British sites show up a lot more often on google.

• Barry says:

I had a drunk dude, probably early twenties walk into my house and go to sleep on my couch. I woke him up with a knife to his throat. He won’t make that mistake again.

• forensic says:

That kind of stuff happens all the time (well, the first one, maybe not the second one but who knows with the recent news from there).

You have a link or something for whatever brought this current story into the news?

• Bob buttons says:

That would be the 1st link. Second link is already in the original thing.

I’m just talking about it because I just saw those last night and they freak the hell out of me. (Well, second, not the first. The first is shocking in terms of sad but not surprising.)

• forensic says:

Eh, it might sound a little cold, but I have a hard time calling that sad really. The kid’s a dumbass and brought it on himself doing numerous things that put him in that position. The neighbor had to protect himself and his family in that situation.

• Bob Buttons says:

I don’t find your opinion cold and I do agree that the death is only blamed upon the young guy. However it sounds like he’s a good guy who did some dumb things that a lot of teenagers do (granted teenagers aren’t the smartest bunch). Ignoring his grounding and underage drinking is inexcusable but I can’t help but feel sorry for the kid (I’ve done a crap load of dumb things. Granted, never illegal.) and I can’t help but feel sorry for the homeowner either. Somewhere some ignorant boobs who didn’t read the whole thing are seeing the homeowner as the bad guy, and even the articles sound like they are looking down on the poor homeowner.

9. OldYanksFan says:

We have heard of 6 or 7, but according to USA Today:
    “There are at least 90 players whose names appear in the Biogenesis Clinic records.”

It’s gonna get very ugly.

• MannyGeee says:

Impossible, there are only 40 men on the Yankees roster. They must have listed each name twice and then wrote the starting lineup in a third time.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The numbers will decrease once they count “Alex Rodruguez,” “Alex Rgz,” and “Alex Pingapequena” as the same person.

• Bob Buttons says:

Rumor: Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Joe Girardi, Ron Guidry et al. named in Biogenesis Clinic records.

• dkidd says:

what about babe ruth? that guy had a completely different physique by the end of his career!

• Bob Buttons says:

MLB issued a statement saying “our technology does not allow us to do PED testing for dead bones. Therefore sticking to the ‘innocent until proven guilty’ routine, we will allow Mr. Ruth’s records to stand until sufficient technical advancement.”

• Jim Is Bored says:

I don’t know if people are just intentionally ignoring the fact that the clinic wasn’t only doing sketchy things. Being in their records is not even remotely proof that PED’s were involved.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Looked at the author. Laughed. Moved on.

• Barry says:

At this point I could care less about all of this lead-up. I’ll believe it all if/when it all goes down. I don’t doubt MLB is investigating, they have to. We’ll know more when either they announce suspensions or the feds get involved.

10. Michael says:

Join RAB Conference South League™, one of the last (if not the last) remaining RAB fantasy baseball leagues still being renewed annually since its inception in 2010. It’s a 20 team league, standard settings, no waivers. Draft is this Sunday at 6:00 PM. Active managers preferred!

Leaague ID: 137339
    Password: rabsouthleague

11. Dalek Jeter says:

So I just heard about MLBn’s new show, MLB Now, it seems like it’s basically clubhouse confidential, only with Howard Reynolds there as the No Donkey for the “Old School” (or ppl who refuse to admit new stats are better than new ones.)

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

I find myself missing my former city a bit tonight, as 24 in a row just doesn’t have the same power to it when you’re 1,200 miles away.

Go Heat. Let’s get to 33.

• Pat D says:

Now I understand why people don’t like you. You root for such unlikeable teams. I mean, it’s bad enough you root for the Yankees, but to also root for the Yankees of basketball? Tsk tsk.

Next you’ll tell me you root for the Cowboys or Patriots, Notre Dame or Alabama football and Duke basketball.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh gosh no.

Remember, Pat…..whenever site regulars express negativity towards one another, somewhere out there, a troll gets an erection.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I root for the Yankees, Notre Dame, and Duke (although the last two I only follow peripherally, especially Duke. I did get into ND this year when it became clear that it was going to be a fun season-which it was, title game aside. Duke I basically only follow through March Madness).

Basketball nobody, football Giants. Giants are odd in that they win a lot and have four SBs, not a small number, but somehow they always end up coming off as a likeable time with an “underdog” quality to them.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

Let’s go Heat. Shoot your load in the regular season because you know there’s gonna be some sort of slump at the end of this streak. Hopefully it hits just as the playoffs start.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Wait, people care about the NBA?

• Pat D says:

You’re confusing the NBA with the NHL.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Ha, don’t tell that to most of the people I’m friends with on Facebook. Arguments have broken out many times over Devils or Rangers. Also, I think Axisa is a NHL fan. I find it more enjoyable than the NBA though.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I also know no NBA fans but a decent amount of NHL fans, me included, and the Devils pissed me the fuck off. I’m hoping that since we’re still tied and we’re finally getting Brodeur back that’ll give us the edge.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Isn’t Brodeur like 1000? I mean seriously, how is he still good? Is he a Time Lord or something?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

He’s the Mo of hockey. An old player at a specialized position that remains freakishly good despite their age.

Not quite as remarkable as Mo (last year aside he’s been generally more injury prone and he’s no longer THE top goalie in the league, just ONE OF the top goalies in the league), but there’s definitely a close correlation there.

• Dalek Jeter says:

In a moment of honesty I’d say Mo’s no longer the top closer in the league, just one of the top. I mean, there’s a reason Kimbrel was gone in round like 6 of my fantasy draft and I was able to get Mo in round 10 (aka, the same round as Mouse Tacos and Rickie Weeks)

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Yeah, because he was injured last year. Closers are all so close each year that “one of the top” and “the top” is pretty much a crapshoot. The point is that Mo has seen no drop in production. At all. Brodeur has. His worst year was in 2007, and it was followed by possibly the greatest year by a relief pitcher of all time in 08′ (an ERA+ of OVER THREE HUNDRED). 09′, 10′, and 11′ were all typical Mo.

That he’s not THE top closer just means that one closer happens to be having a great year that particular year, but they all fall. Papelbon. K-Rod. Soria. They all had their moment in the sun, and some of them are still good. But none of them are among the best-and yet, still, Mo is.

• Dalek Jeter says:

IMO Longevity is the reason Mo is the best ever, but just because he’s the best of all time doesn’t mean he’s the best now. One could make the argument that Derek Jeter is the best SS of all time, but it’s clear that today that Tulo and Reyes at least are both better than him.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The difference is, Mo hasn’t gotten any worse. That other relievers have recently had some better years is pretty coincidental.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Also, you could make the argument for Jeet, but for what it’s worth my money is still on Wagner.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Absolutely, Wagner is still and probably will always be number 1. Unless Tulo can some how find a way to stay healthy for like 13-16 years.

• Mike Axisa says:

Don’t disgrace Mo like that. Nik Lidstrom is the Mo of hockey. Brodeur is the A-Rod if anything given his off-the-ice nonsense.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

A-Rod? Brodeur manages to keep a great relationship with the media and avoids scandals. His personal life outside of hockey couldn’t matter less to me.

Brodeur is in his 40s and still really, really good, and he plays at a specialized position. There’s no exact Mo parallel because Mo isn’t just really good. He’s great. Brodeur is as close as you’ll find though-I’ll give you Lidstrom too.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

…The difference being, Lidstrom doesn’t play a really specialized position like goalie.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

The difference being the NBA is unwatchable and the NHL exciting, just run by one of the worst commissioners in any sport ever?

(Okay, yeah, I escalated this into a pissing contest. Sue me.)

13. mike myers says:

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Major League Baseball “is honing in on Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun as two main targets” in their probe of the Biogenesis clinic.
    Passan writes that, “in addition to being the two biggest names in the Biogenesis logbooks, Rodriguez and Braun have in the past provided MLB with information about alleged PED use the league believes to be false.” One source involved told Yahoo! Sports that “there’s no question in my mind they want those two guys.” This certainly doesn’t sound good for two of baseball’s biggest stars. MLB has already suspended Cesar Carrillo 100 games due to “unsatisfactory” cooperation in related to the Biogenesis probe, and it sure sounds like more suspensions could be coming.

14. Dalek Jeter says:

My opening day line up:
    CF Gardner L
    3B Youkilis R
    2B Cano L
    DH Hafner R
    1B Rivera R
    LF Fransisco R
    RF Ichiro L
    C Cervelli R
    SS Nunez R

*cries*

• forensic says:

As one of the main power threats in the lineup, I can’t bat Youkilis 2nd. Have to keep him around 4th and put Ichiro at the top of the order (though I’m not sure Girardi would keep 3 lefties in a row at the top of the order). Given some of the options though, he may just have to bite the bullet.

• mt says:

Hafner is a lefthander and probably wouldn’t go against Lester. Think Francisco/Mesa would be in LF and the other one would DH (assuming Jeter is on DL on April 1)

15. Bo Knows says:

anyone see this?

I’m conflicted about this, on one hand I’m extremely jealous of Harper, on the other I feel extremely happy that I do not possess such a card because I am certain, I would be 900lbs due to eating chipotle constantly just from the fact I wouldn’t need to pay for it.

16. i like bacon says:

so jeter has a inflamed ankle and took a cortisone shot and everyone on here is blah blah. beleive me thats not good. his previous cortisone shots led to him breaking his leg. i am no doctor but he wont play more than 100 games this year.