Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Penultimate

Missin' you Curtis. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Missin’ you Curtis. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees only have two more officially Grapefruit League games left to play, and they’ll play both in the next 24 hours. Tonight they get the Orioles on the road in Sarasota, with David Phelps closing the book on a solid spring: ten runs, seven walks, and 18 strikeouts in 22.2 innings. He stunk the last two times out, so a good effort tonight to finish March on a high note would be cool. Here’s the starting nine that will back him up…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Eduardo Nunez
  3. 1B Lyle Overbay
  4. RF Brennan Boesch
  5. LF Ben Francisco
  6. 2B Jayson Nix
  7. DH Thomas Neal
  8. 3B Ronnie Mustelier
  9. C Bobby Wilson

And on the mound is Phelps, Phil Hughes‘ temporary rotation replacement. No word on the second stringers, but rumor has it Mason Williams is in the house. Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET and can be seen on MLB Network and MLB.tv (no local blackouts). The game will not air on YES. Enjoy.

1. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

So Francisco Rondon is being made a starter now?
    Interesting.
    Per Josh Norris, AA rotation to start the year is: Rondon, Turley, Tracy, Cotham, and Nuding.

2. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Phelpsy.

3. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Where’s Musty?

4. Vern Sneaker says:

Just turned on game. Mustelier injured? What happened?

5. M1kew says:

Musty did not start. He was held out of the game with a sore knee.

6. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Ouch. That had to hurt.

7. Yanks99 says:

Can someone help me out. I have time Warner and don’t get MLB network. Everyone I know gets it, am I supposed to get it with basic cable or am I supposed to get some other package?

8. Vern Sneaker says:

I get it with Time Warner and I guess it depends on what u mean by “basic.” I’m not sure what they call what I have. Why not call them (good luck getting through).

• Yanks99 says:

I’ve tried, they always claim I need a better package, although my friends say they pay the same thing as me.

9. Steve Balboni says:

Sorry I use MLB.TV since I don’t live in Yankee territory anymore!

10. Professor Longnose says:

How well do you think the Yankees have to play without Granderson and Teixeira to be in decent shape when they come back?

• Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

I’d say .500 ball, and I expect them to do that.

• Professor Longnose says:

That’s reasonable. And the division is pretty tough, making it unlikely any one team will jump out to a huge lead.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s a tough balance.

We’ve seen recent Yankee teams fall as much as nine games under .500 in May before coming back. The question is whether this team, in various degrees of help, would have that sort of comeback in them.

They can afford to tread water, but they can’t dig too deep a hole.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Yeah, .500 ball seems about right. Basically, we need to hope that April is our pitchers’ “hot” month. Then hopefully when they cool down a bit we’ll get some of our sluggers back.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (Formerly RRR) says:

Also, I think this may end up being a year like 2000, with no team being particularly great and around 88 or 89 wins being enough to win the division.

11. Rigoleto says:

How to get Grandy Tex and Jeter back on the field:

12. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Rough inning, but nice comeback.

13. Cuso says:

Mason! Nice hit, little man

14. Bob Buttons says:

Didn’t expect to see Mason to get an AB, so that was a treat.

15. Pasta says:

Nix
    Francisco
    Boesh
    Rivera
    As my opening day 25

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I’d expect at least one more reliever. I also don’t see them carrying both Boesch and Francisco (and I think it’s possibe neither makes the cut).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t see them carrying both Rivera and Overbay either.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Possibly not, but I don’t see them starting Overbay vs. lefties. I suppose they could play Nix at 3B and Youk at first.
          I would hope Rivera isn’t going to end up as the everyday 1B.
          It’s a shame Musty is banged up. A 3B/OF who can hit would give them some nice flexibility (if they actually think he can play 3B or OF).

• Pasta says:

Rivera has had a great spring and can play of too.
          Overbay is a real 1st baseman who can make the tough catches
          Francisco went deep again tonight and ofers speed on bases
          Boesh is a cashman pet
          Nuno longman and second lefty in pen
          How many relievers do we need?