Apr

Gumbs & Sanchez lead Tampa to win

Baseball America published lists of the ten youngest players in each league on Friday, with both Ramon Flores (fifth youngest) and Tyler Austin (tenth) making the Double-A Eastern League list. C Gary Sanchez (fourth) and 2B Angelo Gumbs (sixth) both make the High-A Florida State League list as well. On to the new shorter yet still informative updates…

Triple-A Scranton (9-4 loss to Pawtucket)

• 3B David Adams: 0-4, 1 BB, 3 K
  • 2B Corban Joseph: 1-5
  • LF Zoilo Almonte: 1-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K — threw a runner out at the plate
  • CF Melky Mesa: 1-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 CS — better than last night’s strikeout fest
  • C Austin Romine: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K
  • RHP Dellin Betances: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 6/1 GB/FB — 44 of 72 pitches were strikes (61%) … not great, but solid

Double-A Trenton (7-4 loss to Portland) they struck out 17 times as a team

• CF Slade Heathcott & LF Ramon Flores: both 1-4, 3 K
  • RF Tyler Austin: 0-4, 2 K
  • C J.R. Murphy: 0-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 2 E (both pickoff throws)
  • DH Neil Medchill: 1-3,  R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K — second homer in as many days
  • RHP Zach Nuding: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 5/5 GB/FB — 51 of 84 pitches were strikes (60.7%) … can’t say I ever remember seeing one pitcher charged with seven unearned runs before
  • LHP Jeremy Bleich: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GB/FB – 27 of 52 pitches were strikes (52%)

High-A Tampa (9-2 win over Lakeland)

• CF Mason Williams: 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 SB — more of these, please
  • 2B Angelo Gumbs: 2-5, 1 R, 1 3B, 3 RBI — my pick for the breakout prospect of the year
  • CF Ben Gamel: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 1 SB
  • C Gary Sanchez: 3-5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K
  • 3B Zach Wilson: 3-5, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 E (throwing)
  • RHP Corey Black: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HB, 6/4 GB/FB — solid season debut … still think he winds up in the bullpen long-term, but he’ll get every chance to stick as a starter

Low-A Charleston (4-2 loss to Greenville) first game of the year for these guys after yesterday’s rain out, so here’s the full lineup

• SS Cito Culver: 2-5, 1 2B, 1 E (fielding) — rumor has it he stopped switch hitting and is only batting right-handed now, but I haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere
  • 2B Rob Refsnyder: 0-4, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB
  • 1B Greg Bird: 0-2, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 E (pickoff) — nice full season debut
  • 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 0-5, 3 K — oh Dante
  • RF Yeicok Calderon: 0-3, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 SB
  • C Peter O’Brien: 1-4, 2 K, 1 PB, 1 E (throwing)
  • DH Saxon Butler: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
  • LF Kelvin DeLeon: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 3 K
  • CF Claudio Custodio: 0-4, 2 K — center field huh? guess that shortstop stuff didn’t last
  • RHP Cesar Vargas: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 9/0 GB/FB — 40 of 61 pitches were strikes (66%) … three-pitch guy with command, he’s a nice little sleeper
  • RHP Brett Gerritse: 1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB – 13 of 22 pitches were strikes (59%)
  • RHP Ben Paullus: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GB/FB — 21 of 42 pitches were strikes
Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I will not overanalyze every Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott nightly line.

I will not overanalyze every Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott nightly line.

I will not overanalyze every Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott nightly line.

I will not overanalyze every Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott nightly line.

I will not overanalyze every Tyler Austin and Slade Heathcott nightly line.

• Rebecca says:

It’s ok, I used to do the same with Montero and Sanchez…

• vicki says:

nor i. but i still think it was pussy of everybody to vote floor over ceiling for the prospect watch.

• forensic says:

I voted for Austin, but it had nothing to do with floor vs. ceiling.

It’s about who’s closest to the majors for me. The guys in A-ball just don’t do it for me. Way too far away still.

• Bo Knows says:

Look at it this way it’s early and a ton of top prospects haven’t done squat yet

2. Mike Eder says:

Don’t think the rumor about Culver dropping the switch hitting is true. He’s listed by gameday as standing left-handed against today’s right-handed pitchers.

• JU says:

Hmmm, thats interesting about Gameday, because Culver confirmed it weeks ago, and Mark Newman confirmed it this week in a pinstripesplus.com interview. Apparently it was Culvers idea, but the Yankees were in support of it.

• Barry says:

Teixeira should do it from time to time against weaker righties.. screw it.

• Samuel says:

Culver seriously hurt his right ankle many years ago, and it has hampered his ability to hit from the left side. Culver would always roll over his right ankle on his swing and get off balance.

That is the one primary reason he is nothing more than a “slap hitter” from the left side.

His move to being a right handed only hitter is accurate.

• Greg says:

I’m sure gameday is just guessing, so to speak, because he’s still officially a switch hitter

• Greg Corcoran says:

I bet gameday just assumed because he is a “switch hitter” I feel like that was definitely an error somewhere. He also batted right handed against right handed pitching all spring training so it wouldn’t make any sense.

• pat says:

PPlus did an interviews with Cito and Mark Newman. Both confirmed he’ll be RHB only.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I watched the game on milb.com, and Cito was definitely hitting right-handed

3. forensic says:

10 errors across the lower three teams. Well done…

4. Larch says:

Where is Taylor Dugas?

5. Manny's BanWagon says:

Nice to see Bleich pitch. Hope he can stay healthy and make it as a reliever.

• Bob Buttons says:

I still remember how he was our one silver lining in the 2008 draft, a long long time ago.

Thank goodness for Adams, Joseph, Phelps and Turley II

6. Angelo says:

Hopefully Romine can stay healthy and hit a little.

7. Rebecca says:

I’ve been following Flores for a while…well, really, it started in the GCL when I was checking Sanchez’s stats as compared to the rest of the league and he was always there at the top. Could be worth keeping an eye on.

• Laz says:

He has been solid so far, and is younger than most of the competition. The only reason he doesn’t get respect is he doesn’t have great speed or power.

8. Barry says:

Really hope Betances redeems himself. 6/1 gb/fb is a good thing not to be overlooked.

9. Heisenberg says:

Mark Newman spoke about Culver hitting only RH in a recent interview. The rumors are true.

10. Angel says:

Any news on Jose Campos?

11. LeftyLarry says:

Culver has indeed given up Switch hitting, said so in an interview on Scout.
    Teams officials agreed he should only bat righty and he is more consistant that way.

12. Yeicok Exicardo Kramer says:

I thought Ben Gamel was breakout prospect of the year?

• Greg Corcoran says:

Yea, Gumbs isn’t the most gutsy pick. He already showed what he can do last year.

Personally I’m picking Gamel. He bulked up bigtime this offseason and I think his power output will increase significantly. He is in pitcher friendly Tampa though so the homeruns might not really start pouring in until he gets to Trenton.

13. Bob Buttons says:

Huh. Could have swear Gamel was a 1B. Or am I thinking of Mat?

14. Bo Knows says:

Betances was actually better than the line, I said in the Open thread that the zone was kind of tight (for both sides) and he wasn’t given many borderline strikes (This I said before was probably due to his reputation, which we all know is very deserved)

Also battled hard, got into a bases loaded situation struck out two straight batters before a soft liner blooped for those two runs in the first.

15. Angelo says:

Geez, I’ve been following that guy since he was drafted in 2006. Started coming to RAB in 2008.

16. Deathstroke Heathcott says:

17. KCSwiss says:

Mike, I would be willing to do full DOTF’s this summer for you if it would save you time while also giving the full lineups.

18. Wayne says:

Why is hayden sharp still on gulf coast team?

• pat says:

Because he had all of 23 innings there last year. Probably gonna get some IP there in the beginning of the year and jump to Staten Island when the short season starts.

19. trr says:

glad to read these type of articles, esp. given the big teams current struggles. please continue

20. Hoss says:

New name for DOTF?

Dante’s Inferno

Cito’s Culvert

Bleich’s Blues

Although with the way the regular season is going, Romine’s Bromide or The Gumbs that Numbs may be most appropriate.

• CS Yankee says:

Nice!

I thought the odd-numbered year would mean that Dante would mash…seems like the kid couldn’t hit his butt swinging a snow shovel these days.

• Rick says:

In fairness, snow shovels aren’t very aerodynamic and it can be very difficult to control the swing.

• CS Yankee says:

Too funny, I understand that logic…

.OK, who would pay to see if Dbich could hit hit butt swinging a spade shaped shovel? It could be an added perk for their home games.

I hope he returns to raking in 2013.

• And in merrie olde England says:

Carl is that you? How’s the spleen?

21. TopChuckie says:

I think you should give us an update on whether or not Romine and Heathcott got injured in every game recap. Sort of an anti-jinx, watched pot never boils sort of thing.

• CS Yankee says:

Don’t look at them as being injured all the time, but rather think of them as being exceptional at lingering issues regarding health.

22. Joe says:

For those that remember the 2008 minor league draft, LHP Blake Monar is available to pick up. As a Yankees fan who was upset when they couldn’t close the deal back then, lets get him now!

• pat says:

Hahaha I was too!! I even befriended him on facebook because I was so excited about him signing.

• Joe says:

That’s awesome. I never went that far, but I did take in one of his starts last year. Left handed starter with great off speed and 88-91mph fastball. I know the minor league system could use another guy of that caliber, and I hope we can get him to Tampa or charleston soon. Make it happen yanks.