Apr

Two thumbs up for YES Network’s new camera angle

When the new Yankee Stadium opened in 2009, one thing that really disappointed me was the traditional offset camera angle. A number of clubs had started using a directly behind the pitcher camera angle that, in addition to make balls and strikes easier to see, really brought a pitcher’s stuff to life. We got to see fastballs moving in ways we had never before seen on television, breaking balls were breaking both side-to-side and up-and-down, changeups fading away from hitters of the opposite hand … it’s great. The directly behind the pitcher angle gets two thumbs way up from me.

The YES Network used a traditional offset angle over the last few years — check out the gallery above and you’ll see the angle changing slightly from 2009-2012 — but this year they have it pretty close to centered behind the pitcher with the rubber and home plate nearly in line. It’s not a perfect behind the plate view like the Braves, Red Sox, Twins, or Cardinals have, but it’s far better than the traditional offset look. It allows us to see Mariano Rivera‘s cutter hook around the plate for a backdoor strike three better than ever before, for example.

So, while not much has gone right for the Yankees early this season, at least we’ve got a cool new center field camera that makes the strike zone and a pitch’s movement easier to see than ever before. I don’t think YES can raise the camera any higher to get a true in-line look — I guess they would have to put the camera on top of the concession stand in center field? — so this is probably the best we’ll get. It’s much better than the offset look in my opinion and I’m glad we got it, even if it came later rather than sooner.

Categories : Musings

1. Jay says:

At least they improved in one area this season

2. Bavarian Yankee says:

I hate the new angle. Like I said in another thread some days ago it’s difficult and sometimes impossible to see the catcher’s signals. I thought the previous angles were perfect so I don’t even know why they changed it. Too bad this isn’t the Yankees’ biggest problem right now.

3. Greg says:

Hate the new angle! Many pitchers motions even block the plate from your view. Please go back to the offset view!

4. Dominik says:

I am not a fan of the new angle either, but at least it isn’t as horrendous as the Dead Center angle that ESPN tried out a few years ago. Nearly got vertigo from watching baseball.

5. blow up the freaking mohegan sun bar.

6. The Real Me (Formerly Cris Pengiucci) says:

I like the new angle, unlike others here. I agree, it allows us to see movement on pitches that we couldn’t see before and also provides a better view of the strike zone. With the previous camera angle, some pitches that were called balls appeared to be strikes. Definitely appreciate this change.

7. Nick says:

Love the new angle. I would always enjoy watching other broadcasts on MLB.tv with the straightaway angle, glad the yankees improved this.

Quick thing – the Twins camera placement is terrible. It feels like you’re 20 feet further from the plate with any other camera angle. It doesn’t show up so much in a static picture, but it’s a pretty jarring change when you see it on video.

8. dalelama says:

I heard the music on the Titantic as it was sinking was excellent also.

9. Name says:

Maybe one day we’ll get a pitch zone too?

10. Bartolo's Colon says:

I noticed that the camera guys moved closer to the middle when i went for a beer above the mohegan sun bar. it sort of sucks now watching from there because the cameramen are in the way

11. hey now says:

‘Two thumbs up’

A Roger Ebert hat tip?

12. McLovin says:

I like the new angle.

13. Real Life says:

Nice. Now we get to see the Yanks suck @ss from directly behind the pitcher instead of watching the Yanks suck @ss from slightly to the right and behind the pitcher.

14. Yankee in CT says:

For sure. Roger brought elegance and common sense to film criticism.

15. Arnie says:

I like the Mets new low camera behind home plate. That’s all I like about the Mets.

16. Matthew says: