Apr

Must-Click Link: Life after being released

The Yankees released right-hander David Aardsma just before the start of the season, but it wasn’t until late last week that he signed a minor league contract with the Marlins. Dan Barbarisi wrote about Aardsma’s life during those two weeks between the release and the new contract, two hectic weeks that were filled with unofficial workouts, canceled plans, and waiting for phone calls. It’s definitely not a side of the game we think about all that much. It’s a great piece and gets RAB’s highest level of recommendation. Check it out.

Categories : Asides

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d love to see what it’s like to be a guy like Dan Otero, the type of player who winds up getting DFA’d by several franchises within a week.

2. vicki says:

where was he going to live in manhattan where the broker’s fee was just a few hundred dollars? my building?

3. AdamC6 says:

Fun read and certainly makes you feel the human side of this game/business. I will now be pulling for David — he suddenly sounded a lot like one of us.

It gives me and my 72 MPH fastball hope. Maybe I can make it with the Marlins too!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t know if I could get the ball to 60 feet, 6 inches without bouncing……several times, but I’m here if Loria wants to take a shot.

• Alkaline says:

Heh. 2 years ago I signed up for the open tryout for an Independent League. Sadly it was rained out. I’ll always have that what if. :D

• Mike Axisa says:

It gives me and my 72 MPH fastball hope.

“That’s not sink, it’s just gravity.”

4. will says:

Sweet caroline, really? GAG……………….

5. thumper says:

Remember the book, “Good Enough to Dream” by Roger Kahn? At least for players like Aardsma and Mark Prior they got to the promised land for a period of time. So many do not.

6. Greg C says:

At least he got over a million bucks before he played a day of pro ball and close to $10 million since. It’s not like he’s one of these marginal pro athletes paying his way to tryouts and hoping to get a minimum check and secure a pension.

7. SDB says:

I wonder how long a similar piece on Russ Canzler would be.

8. To all who commented….David and Andrea are the real deal…..not caught up in being someone better….just the opposite….he’ll do his job and do it well, and without realizing it be an inspiration to they young guys coming up. I don’t have a crush, not his Mother or Wife…..just lucky to a friend. I have said this before, the person he is off and on the field, and the time he gives to young fans… he’s just a great guy who doesn’t even realize it!!!! For fun ck out a You Tube Young Fan in Seattle being told David is going to the Yankees….