Apr

Update: Nunez day-to-day with bruised biceps after hit-by-pitch

3:24pm: Nunez is day-to-day with a bruised right biceps, the Yankees announced. X-rays were negative. Considering how much pain he was in, that’s not bad at all. Exhale.

2:25pm: Eduardo Nunez left this afternoon’s game after being hit by a pitch in what looked like the right arm/chest. It hit him right by the armpit, it seemed. Nunez was in a lot of pain and had to be helped off the field. Stay tuned for any updates.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. sangreal says:

didn’t look like he could move his arm. I wonder if he dislocated his shoulder or something

• Ethan says:

That’s what I was thinking too. Seems most likely given the location, him holding his arm, and the amount of pain he was in.

• And in merrie olde England says:

Poor little fella looked like he was in tears :( I’d guess ribs, looked a little low for collarbone and would certainly knock the wind right out of you. There’s nothing “good” to hit in that area thought. Dooooomed!

2. Luis Castillo (Not the one who dropped the ball) says:

I’m sorry Eddard, it sucks.

3. Anthony says:

Boy oh boy.

4. Steven S says:

Looks like April 6 shall begin the long era of Gil Valezquez as the starting SS.

5. flamingo says:

It’s like we’re cursed. I’m sick of these injuries.

6. fabricio says:

im praying its just a really bad bruise right now we need him until jeter is ready whenever that may be

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

I cannot imagine a worse 8/9 in a lineup than Stewart and Gil Velazquez. Let us pray.

• Mister D says:

Stewart and Stewart?

• DInnings says:

What’s the point of imagining that?

Let’s say Nunez and Jeter were out for the year and Velasquez or Nix had to be the shortstop or both had to share the position for the entire year assuming Cashman didn’t want trade for an everyday shorstop or a viable one wasn’t available and worth giving up anyone for.

Who do you think the Toronto Blue Jays would have at shorstop if Jose Reyes and his stand-in were out for the year? Most likely someone as bad as or worse than Velasquez and certainly far worse than Reyes (or Jeter for that matter.)

Toronto is LUCKY they haven’t lost Johnson, Buerhle, Reyes, Cabrera, Encarnacion, and whoever their insurance shorstop is to injury, Bautista to that or free-agency (players in the same positions as the aforementioned injured Yankees.) We could say that about any competitive team in MLB for that matter.

8. trr says:

Velazquez????

Let’s Nix that idea!

(I’m sorry)

9. Jim B. Johnson says:

Quick, who can we sign out of retirement to play SS? I think Ozzie’s available.

10. Eddard says:

Hey guys, I’m going to start a collection to send a get well soon basket to Nuney. I’d fly to Detroit myself and deliver it if I didn’t have to work. Anyone who wants to contribute let me know.

11. mick taylor says:

2 yanks have been hit in this game. cabrera needs to be drilled.

12. Bill Bruford says:

Bring on the 3rd string!

13. Joe says:

I hope rather than calling up Valazquez they go with a guy that might have some offensive potential that is a true SS, unlike Nix. Perhaps they could go bold and give either Addison Maruszak or Jose Pirela a chance. Too bad Jason Donald just cleared waivers yesterday.

14. mannycruz says:

What is are depth at SS in the minors?
    Who has the highes upside at SS in our system?
    Who is the AAA ss?

15. John C says:

A NUKE FROM YOUK!! Yanks lead 3-2!

16. V says:

These HBP injuries are ridiculous.

17. jsbrendog says:

je. sus.

dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed

18. Matty Ice says:

Does this mean those Escobar talks heat up?

19. i like bacon says:

dear boone, you are a worhtless piece of shit.

20. Pseudoyanks says:

This is insane.

21. Rigoleto says:

Open tryouts…I’m going to Modell’s to buy an infielder’s glove.

22. jim p says:

Nunez with a bruise, no broken bones, says Sterling on the radio. Hope that’s true.

23. Cuso says:

Sorry, but I saw that hit the biceps on the 8 replays and my initial reaction was “Get up, bitch! Rub some dirt on it.”

I’m sure it stung, but be a friggin’ man, huh?

24. GT Yankee says:

Dear Brian, Randy & Hal (whichever of you are responsible),

I understand not holding on to David Aardsma if you have guys who can pitch multiple innings that don’t suck! What’s worse, Cody Eppley, perhaps the strongest example of this, hasn’t even entered today’s pathetic game.

Seriously Hal, can’t you hire some Cardinals or Rays guys?

Disgruntled Fan #1

25. DInnings says:

Let’s have fun:

SS Jose Reyes, 3B Juan Encarnacion, LF Melky Cabrera, and #2 starter Josh Johnson all get injured in a game Johnson is starting, and #3 starter Buerhle’s finger (or Morrow’s if you prefer) is bit by a puppy he got as a present like David Cone’s was.

WHERE ARE THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS? WHO’S HITTING FOR THEM?

Like I said, they’re lucky, like the Yanks have been lucky for most of the Torre on era save 2008 and maybe this year if they could withstand the injuries.

You all do know that if the 2013 Yankees don’t make the postseason it’s because of the injuries, the psychological toll they would’ve taken on the team, and the stand-ins made up for only a percentage of the lost production, right? Add to that every AL East team is good but not great save the Red Sox and it’s not impossible to see the Yanks finish 83-79 but only 4 games out of first place since the division winner will most likely finish with 87 wins. I’d look back and say a full-strength 2013 Yankees team would’ve EASILY won the division by 8 to 13 games, like I thought and still think the 2008 Yankees would’ve won the division had Wang, Matsui, and Posada had full, typical seasons.

• GT Yankee says:

Okay, I’ve subbed out all of the Blue Jay players with injured Yankees. I pretended that Jeter, A-Rod, Tex, Grandy, HIROK and even Nuney weren’t hurt. What I envisioned was the Yankees scoring perhaps 2 more runs, even 3 if you like and still losing 8-6.

I only commented on relief pitching. Injuries you cannot do anything about, but I feel as though the team has not made prudent decisions with the remaining pieces they have. If you ultimately aren’t into Aardsma, why sign him and wait till he comes all the way back from TJ surgery to release him? Especially when those you are holding onto are waiver wire fodder? At least he offered some upside and had a good ST too.