Apr

Pineda throws one inning in simulated game

Via Bryan Hoch: Michael Pineda threw one inning in a simulated game today, his first since having shoulder surgery last May. “He threw strikes he threw some really good strikes,” said Joe Girardi, who was in attendance. “I was happy with what I saw. I know it’s a long ways away, but for the first time in a simulated game, it was pretty good … His command was much better (than last spring). The ball was coming out of his hand. He wasn’t forcing it today.”

Pineda, 24, threw all three of his pitchers — fastball, slider, changeup — but Chad Jennings says the Yankees don’t even have a radar gun on him yet. That’s not terribly surprising since he’s still in rehab mode and not “getting stretched out for the season” mode. Either way, good news. Every day Pineda is able to do something like this without suffering a setback represents major progress. The simulated game does not start his 30-day rehab window, by the way.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Karl Malone says:

Velocity readings now or I don’t care.

2. Are they taking it so slow because of the importance of getting Pineda fully 110% healthy or is taking this 1 IP at a time slowness typical for this type of injury?

• LK says:

I think labrum tears are severe/rare enough that there isn’t a set template for how to come back. I’d expect the Yanks to be as cautious as humanly possible with Pineda to avoid setbacks; hopefully it works.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think they’re taking it slow. This seems to be a normal course. When did he actually have surgery, last May, or was it June? I wouldn’t expect him to be on the mound for a year after surgery, so that means June.

I also suspect he’ll be quite poor at the start, which is why I’d burn one of his options and send him to the minors once his 30-day rehab is completed. Pineda may turn out to be a solid pitcher yet, but I just don’t see him contributing much in the way of volume let alone quality until 2014.

3. Buhner's barber says:

So what does start his rehab window? His first minor league game?

At the end of the 30 days, would they just leave him in the minor leagues for another week or two or do they have to do something officially to get the extra year of service time.

• Ed says:

Yup, first minor league game starts the rehab window.

At the end of the 30 days, they activate him from the DL and option him to the minors. If he stays down for 20 days, it uses up an option and prevents him from getting a full year of service time. That’s enough to get an extra year of team control.

I’m not sure that they have to use the full 30 days of rehab before they can option him. Back when Hughes was hurt in either 2007 or 2008, they optioned him to AAA after about 2 weeks of rehab.

4. Manny's BanWagon says:

If by the grace of god he could slot in behind CC next year, it would be a huge lift for the Yankeea considering the lack of quality young pitching that can be ready for 2014.

5. Michael says:

One of Cashmans worse moves

6. jobas fat stache says:

Insert fork-flip-done

7. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Word.

8. I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

He only lasted one inning!!!!? WTFCashFail!!!11!!

Am I doing this right?

9. jobanolongerhasafatstache says:

Does anyone know how many years are left on pineda’s current contract? If it’s only another year or 2, will the yanks resign him and if so, for how much/how long do you think? Are we dealing with another feliciano situation?

10. jobanolongerhasafatstache says: