May

Update: Hafner day-to-day with right shoulder tendinitis

10:42pm: Hafner has tendinitis in the shoulder and is day-to-day. He received a cortisone shot. Joe Girardi said he could return to the lineup as soon as tomorrow, but I’m guessing he’ll get at least one more day to rest. Wouldn’t be the worst idea.

3:59pm: Travis Hafner will miss at least the next few days with a sore right shoulder. He is heading for a precautionary MRI, but given his injury history, every bump and bruise is a red flag. The 35-year-old is hitting .260/.383/.510 (140 wRC+) overall this year despite slumping hard in May (23 wRC+). Hafner had debridement surgery on his right shoulder back in 2008 and missed time with soreness and inflammation in both 2009 and 2010.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. David N says:

Well, we knew it was going to happen eventually. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

2. sangreal says:

Cashman is on WFAN and said Hafner feels fine during games but has cut back on batting practice so hopefully it’s not a big deal

3. Frank says:

I’m convinced Ben Francisco has 9 lives.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is:

1. Why you don’t worry about having five guys for four positions.
    2. Why worrying about the regulars returning and disrupting chemistry is silly.

Hope it’s nothing. I wasn’t a believer in Pronk at first, but I’ve been certainly proven wrong there.

• Laz says:

I was a huge believer in the damage he could do. I was simply concerned with him staying healthy, that is his biggest problem, which is why he probably doesn’t face lhp even if he can, it gives them excuse to build in rest for him.

5. Eddard says:

What a shame. Going back to YS was just what he needed to get out of his funk. I guess this temporarily solves what to do with the 4 outfielders.

6. JoeyA says:

Still lasted about a month longer than Nick johnson would have

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

Memo to Michael Kay, currently screaming on the radio:

Read this post and quit bitching about why Joe is playing Wells instead of Hafner at DH tonight.

Unfuckingbelievable that we know something they don’t, and they’re on the radio.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

I just tweeted Kay to tell him about Hafner. I shit you not. It’d be great to get on the air.

9. trr says:

There’s always a need for depth. Always.

Now about Ben Francisco….No; I can’t, I just can’t….

10. Philthy says:

Had some truly ugly swings recently. Still, my money was against him making it to May unscathed.

11. VCR1111 says:

Granderson is a GREAT guy (by all accounts). Never questioned that. The argument I am trying to make (and I appreciate this blog because most respondents have a respectful conversation) is not that the folks we have on the roster now are better than those coming off the DL. Never did I advocate replacing Tex with Overbay or replacing Granderson with Ichiro. The fact is players like Tex and Granderson are susceptible to prolonged slumps. The key to a winning offense in baseball is not run production but sustained run production. Sustained being the key word.

Example: Let’s assume (for discussion sake) a season is 10 games long.

Player 1 from Team A gets 15 hits in those 10 games. Games 1-5 he gets 2 hits each, game 6-7 held hitless, game 8 3 hits, game 9-10 1 hit. Total 15 hits.

Player 2 from Team B also gets 15 hits in those 10 games. However Games 1-5 he gets 0 hits, game 6-7 monster game, 5 hits each, game 8-9 0 hits, and game 10 another monster 5 hit game.

I see Granderson and Tex more as this Player 2 example. Someone who has the ability to be a dominant player but can go into stretches like we have recently see doom the Yanks in the playoffs where hits are non-existent.

• VCR1111 says:

Sorry! Wrong thread.

• CS Yankee says:

Crystal ball says;
      1) Play players from Team A in games 1-5
      2) Play players from Team B in games 6-7
      3) Play players from Team A in games 8-9
      4) Play players from Team B in game 10

But, how can you have two teams?

12. Pistol Pete says:

Just listened to Kay, Leiter, and Cone fawn on and on about Hafner’s injuries and how unfortunate they have been for him. Not one mention of his obvious PED use that’s broken his body down the same way it’s broken down Arod’s. I hate it when these announcers shill for the Yankees organization and YES network instead of calling a spade a spade. Go back and google a picture of Hafner in the 2004 to 2006 ERA and compare it to todays trimmed down version. No mention of the possibility of PED abuse being the cause of his constant injury woes from any one of these announcers, please.

13. forensic says:

Sit him for a few days and then get him back somewhat healthy and hopefully he’ll start hitting again with it being better.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s a good time to rest him. Grandy needs a few games to get into the swing of things, and you can just DH Wells.

• forensic says:

Yeah. They just played his interview and he said he got an injection in there. Don’t know if it was cortisone or something else, but either way he’ll need to sit for a few games I’m sure.

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

So he’s not dead, as originally thought. Good.