May

Yankees take series opener from Mariners with come from behind win

A few years ago, the Yankees were pretty much the only team that figured out how to beat Pedro Martinez: you couldn’t. You just had to wait him out and take care of business against the bullpen. That’s exactly how the Yankees beat Felix Hernandez and the Mariners on Tuesday, keeping the game close and going to work late for a 4-3 win.

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

Shut Down By Felix
It wasn’t a question of whether Felix Hernandez would shut the Yankees down, just how embarrassing it would be. The right-hander came into this start with a 3.08 ERA (~3.92 FIP) in 14 career starts against the Bombers, including a 1.13 ERA (~2.46 FIP) in five starts at the new Yankee Stadium. He stayed true to that form and limited New York to just one run in six innings, striking out eight. Felix left the game due to some kind of injury — the trainer came out to visit him during his final inning and he was shown flexing his left leg. He threw 97 pitches and surely had enough left in the tank for another frame.

The Yankees did have some opportunities against Hernandez, however. They had runners at first and second with one out in the first, a runner at third with one out in the third, and runners at first and second in the fourth. Those opportunities resulted in zero runs. It wasn’t until Lyle Overbay doubled into the right field corner with two outs in the sixth that they scored their first run, and they got lucky the ball didn’t hop over the fence for a ground rule double. It hit off the very top of the wall and stayed in the field of play, allowing the runner to score from first. Felix wasn’t super duper sharp, but the Yankees really couldn’t touch him.

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

Three-Reliever, Two-Strike Rally
As soon as Hernandez was out of the game, the Bombers went to work. Chris Nelson opened the seventh inning with a solo single to center, then advanced to second on Yoervis Medina’s wild pitch. Brett Gardner put runners on first and second with a walk, then Robinson Cano knotted the game at three with a two-run double off the right-center field wall. I thought it was gone off the bat. Following a pair of walks to load the bases, Overbay gave the Yankees the lead with a sacrifice fly to center.

The go-ahead rally stood out for two reasons … well, really one big combined reason: the quality of the at-bats. Nelson, Gardner, and Cano all reached base in two-strike counts, and seven of the eight hitters saw at least four pitches in their at-bats. Five saw at least five pitches. The Yankees really worked the three relievers Seattle manager Eric Wedge used in an attempt to stifle the rally, those classic grind it out at-bats that have defined the team’s offense for the last 18 years or so. It’s not the first time they’ve put together a come from behind rally like this this year.

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

(AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek)

Leftovers
CC Sabathia wasn’t particularly sharp but he wasn’t bad. Just okay. The ten strikeouts were matched by the ten hits allowed, including a run-scoring double by Michael Saunders and a two-run homer by former Yankee Raul Ibanez. Those hits accounted for the three Mariners runs and were also the first two extra-base hits Sabathia allowed to left-handed hitters this year. Three runs (two earned) in 6.1 innings is fine for most pitchers, but CC ain’t most pitchers.

David Robertson and Austin Romine combined to create a mess in the eighth, as the former walked the leadoff man on four pitchers before the latter got cute and tried to cut down the lead runner on a sacrifice bunt. Everyone was safe. Robertson pulled off a Houdini act and escaped the jam with a strikeout and a line drive double play, which really should be created to the coaching staff and Jayson Nix for his perfect positioning. Mariano Rivera tossed a flawless ninth for his 16th save in 16 chances. He got a gift strike three call to end the game.

(Elsa/Getty)

(Elsa/Getty)

Curtis Granderson‘s first game of the season was mostly uneventful. He grounded into a double play, grounded back to the pitcher, struck out, and walked to load the bases in the seventh. He looked fine in left field as well, though he didn’t have any real tough plays. Ibanez hit a solid line drive out his way, but nothing that required a dazzling play. First day back went well enough.

Weird game for Overbay, who made two defensive miscues and ran into a defensive obstruction. The first bad defensive play was a simple ground ball to first that he flipped to Sabathia instead of taking himself, allowing Ibanez to beat out the infield single. The second was another simple ground ball that he just muffed, leading to the unearned run. Overbay was then ruled safe at first in the fourth inning when Hernandez stood in the baseline on a play at first. He was originally called out before the umpires conferenced and (correctly) awarded him first base. Standing in the baseline is a no-no. Weird day for Lyle.

The Yankees have not hit a homer in three games now, their first three-game homerless streak since July 2011. They already have four homerless wins in 2013 after having only seven last year.

I don’t remember what inning it was, but that scripted Zoo York/Chad Ortiz (?) bit by the YES booth was just brutal. Where’s the remote, I’m going to put on the Mets for the next few minutes bad. Let us never speak of that again.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings
MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the up to the minute standings. Both the Red Sox and Orioles blew leads and lost on Tuesday, so the Yankees now lead the division by a full two games. They also have the most wins (25) in baseball.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next
Same two teams on Wednesday night, when Phil Hughes squares off against Hisashi Iwakuma. Check out RAB Tickets if you want to catch the game live. Oh, and apparently the Arrested Development Banana Stand will be at the Stadium from 3:30-8pm ET on Wednesday, so there’s another reason to buy a ticket and go.

Categories : Game Stories

1. forensic says:

He said he tweaked his back on a throw in that inning, but that it wasn’t a big deal.

2. forensic says:

What the hell? They just finished the postgame show without showing any of Girardi’s interview. I think that’s the first time they’ve ever done that.

They showed more of Felix’s interview and Wedge’s interview than Girardi…

• vicki says:

i noticed. is there a chance joe didn’t do a post-game?

• forensic says:

Nah, he’s gotta do one every game with all the media following the team. They also apparently tweeted some of it out. No idea what happened.

And despite all that, they still stretched the postgame out to almost a full hour with Nancy freakin’ Newman. That was painful.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

Another great win. It’s way too early in the season to say things like this, but there’s something about this team’s ability to pull wins out of game that don’t seem winnable.

Curtis will need a few games to get it all back, but I’m certainly glad to have him back.

Kelley and Claiborne are going to make some bullpen decisions mighty difficult.

• Kevin says:

Unlike last year,we’re actually working the count and realize that you don’t have to be the hero with a two or three run homer.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

They’re working the count unlike last year, and yet they’re seeing fewer pitches this year?
        How does that work?

• vicki says:

sigh. curtis granderson and nick swisher were top ten in the league for ppa last year; teix top 20. brett gardner is the only 2013 yankee in the top 50.

• forensic says:

Yup, and those guys were replaced by very free swingers in Wells and, to a slightly lesser extent, Overbay.

• mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Maybe it’s me but what seen of Wells and looking at his current numbers he doesn’t seem “very free swinger”

• vicki says:

except that he is and pretty much always has been. number 13 swing% in the league this season, and he has a lower ppa than josh hamilton or jesus montero.

but i know. you’re just a caveman; our world frightens and confuses you.

• mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Oh your world doesn’t “world frightens and confuses” me.
                How can it when always based on “always has been”.

Hey do you still like the “Oriole type run” from a team that’s “just not that good”

JUST KEEP WINNING!!!!

• mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“number 13 swing% in the league this season, and he has a lower ppa than josh hamilton or jesus montero.”

I really don’t give shit. All I know is that Wells carry a big load in their 6-2 road trip. He has done more for the Yankees then Montero or Hamilton has done for their teams even with their higher PPA.

Shhhhh but the PPA doesn’t mean shit if your team is losing and your part of the reason.

• vicki says:

guy, what the hell are you talking about? okay, you didn’t get the old snl reference; it was a joke. that’s just how you sound to me when you boast about not knowing, understanding, nor caring about the more elegant statistics. fine.

but you’re the one who said wells doesn’t seem like a free-swinger when in fact he’s the definition of one.

you’re not a bigger homer than i, by the way. i love the yankees with a child’s devotion. please don’t think your anti-intellectualism makes you a better fan.

• mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Never said it makes me a better fan and numbers have their place but when they drive people to the point that they disbelieve everything that is going on field then that’s too far IMO.

• forensic says:

I probably shouldn’t join in this, but, saying he’s a free swinger in no way is taking away from his results or what he’s contributing to the team, or somehow disbelieving (is that like misremembering? ;-)) what’s happening on the field. Nobody said anything about that.

The fact of the matter is, he is a free swinger. He’s seen the fewest pitches per plate appearance of anyone on the team with more than 50 AB’s this season. Also the fewest of any active player on the roster other than Austin Romine.

People say Cano is a free swinger all the time. Does that mean they don’t want to believe in any of his contributions?

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

Free swinger does not equal poor player. Vlad was the freest of swingers but at his best, he was also one of the best hitters in the league. Cano is still mostly a free swinger and he’s the best hitter on our team.

forensic just pointed out we replaced guys who saw a ton of PPA with a couple guys that definitely don’t see a ton of PPA, that’s it. You chose to read into it with a further subtext.

• sjferrari says:

It makes me sad when people don’t get awesome Phil Hartman SNL references.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Wow! This spiraled out control.

Deathstroke Heathcott thank you for clearing up Foresnic’s point I got it.

Vicki sorry that I went into attack mode I will watch more SNL maybe that will help. Didn’t at all mean to question your Yankees devotion.

Sjferrari sorry I made you sad.

Robinson Tilapia and Kevin I blame you both for all this I hope you can live with yourselves.

Everyone have great and beautiful day.

• jsbrendog says:

usually I’d say this is all arod’s fault. But i just hate that fat redneck joba, so.

This is all Jobber’s fault.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, I was asleep. Don’t blame me. Blame DBJ. Or Culver. Or both.

From what I see here, it looks like a perfectly solid point potentially applied to the wrong example. It happens. I hope we all came out stronger friends because of it. I know I just want to give vicki one big smooch right now.

• Rick says:

You missed your golden opportunity to joke about the big load that Wells carries. I mean I almost lost it reading that sentence. Come on Vicki, you normally crush that!

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s amazing what one crucial sac fly will do for our collective psyche.

• mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“but there’s something about this team’s ability to pull wins out of game that don’t seem winnable.”

I want see your statistical broke down to support this? Give me the Fangraph link damn it.

BTW I agree 100%

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

You can call it whatever you want, chemistry, stepping up, hungry veterans, whatever, I’m so digging this 2013 edition of the NY Yankees. For the time being & imo forseeable future, things are sweet in Yankeeland! Along w/so many contributions from so many places, I just have to single out the two former Toronto Blue Jays Vernon Wells & Lyle Overbay who have just really been flat out outstanding, & as far as Overbay, I’d love him to be the starting 1b for the rest of the season regardless of when or if Texeira gets healthy. The only problem I see this club having is what to do if and when Arod & Texeira get healthy enough to come back. If it were up to me, I’d stick w/the group that’s been playing so well. Would be nice to get Youkilis & the Captain back, though. Now, if only we can have a flat out huge, talented draft in a couple of weeks.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

“You can call it whatever you want, chemistry, stepping up, hungry veterans, whatever, I’m so digging this 2013 edition of the NY Yankees.”

THIS.

I swear I have watch more games and been here talking about them then I did all of last year. Not sure if too many people think that the latter is a good thing.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We sit there and wonder why teams like the Giants win with a lineup that’s bigger than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps sometimes it’s not about what Jayson Nix and Chris Stewart do in islation. Perhaps it’s what they do, just enough times, to benefit who bats before and after them. Maybe that’s how you win with a handful of fucking part-time role players.

Thank Mo for Robbie Cano.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

THIS!!!!

THIS!!!

THIS!!!

Tilapia I’m copy this and pasting it around a bit. This has been my war cry all year. Not only can it done it has been done I read a excellent article on how Brian R. Sabean built his team around pitching, his ballpark, a few key big bats and lots on inexpensive role players.
            As Yankees fan its my favorite way to built a team NO, but with the state of free agency and all the new restrictions MLB has put on spending it might be the only way to go. I really can’t complain about the results so far. I just don’t understand why so many are trying to disparage it.

• Laz says:

If Teix is healthy they need to stick with him. Overbay is doing a decent job now, but be rational, .254/.291/.484 line of his isn’t going to keep teix out of the lineup.

• lightSABR says:

This. Overbay’s wRC+ right now is 105. Teix hasn’t hit that poorly since 2003. Even last year, which was pretty awful by his standards, his wRC+ of 116.

Plus, there’s reason to expect Overbay not to keep this up all year. His line drive percentage is down from last year, and his fly ball and infield fly ball rates are up. That’s probably contributed to his unexpected power output (.230 ISO), but it may also mean that his BABIP should have fallen more than it has. And his rate of home runs per fly ball is up at 14.3%, which is higher than any year he’s played except 2005. Part of that, I’m sure, is being a lefty playing in Yankee Stadium. But I’m guessing that even with the short porch, it’s unsustainable.

4. Cuso says:

I missed the zoo York thing. What was it?

• forensic says:

The worst skit in the history of TV.

• Cuso says:

You’re killing me! Everyone is saying that this God-awful thing happened but noone will tell me what it was!

I know it falls under the 15 seconds of my life that I’ll never get back……but not knowing is killing me!

• forensic says:

Heh, sorry. Already deleted the game from the DVR so I can’t transcribe it for you. It’ll probably end up online at some point.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I think it was in the 3rd inning.

The Zoo York sign above the visitors bullpen? Now comes initialized with Chaz Ortiz’s “tag” (signature, which is a connection Coney apparently couldn’t make).

I could easily access this thing on the MLB.tv archive. Do I want to? I’d rather stick a rusty nail in my neck.

5. Eddard says:

I still think this reminds me a lot of that 09 club. That lineup was better top to bottom but the pitching on this team is a notch above. They hang around, wear down the starter and then pull out the comeback. And now we have Andy and Hughes lined up to win yet another series.

• Bob Buttons says:

“A notch above” is putting it lightly. I’ll take 2012 CC/2012 Andy/Kuroda/Hughes/Phelps/Nova over 09 CC/09 Andy/Burnett/Joba/Mitre/09 CMW/Gaudin

• vicki says:

how did mitre not make it on anybody’s all-time most despised yanks list?

• Bob Buttons says:

Maybe there are guys in the mid 2000s and in the rough periods for other people.
          Personally I hated Pavano, Vazquez, Loaiza, Weaver and Neagle more, and that’s just from the 2000s.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Because we forgot he existed.

• Pat D says:

I didn’t pick him for mine because I witnessed him pitch a pretty fantastic game against the White Sox in ’09. In fact, this is still the only time I’ve been to the new stadium.

• Bob Buttons says:

Still never been to the new stadium (or the old) yet because just by my luck the couple of times I’ve been to NYC was during away games so there was not much incentive to go. (Since I figure the average tour guide wouldn’t tell me what I don’t know already.)

• Dalek Jeter says:

The Old Stadium was loud, cramped, and uncomfortable. As a kid I sort of felt I was going to be kidnapped while waiting on line for the bathroom. The atmosphere though, freaking electric!! The only ballparks that ever got louder had roofs. The new stadium is comfortable and just all around pretty cool. Not a bad seat in the house really, not nearly as claustrophobic, even in the cheap seats. Problem is the larger…just about everything, eats the sound and definitely affects the atmosphere. Facilities are obviously better at the new park across the board…but I’d be lying if it doesn’t feel like something is missing.

• Bob Buttons says:

Somebody forgot to tell the ghosts in the OF to move next door?

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

The new place just doesn’t have the juice the old place had. I really miss that old barn! They could have renovated it, done one project a year over say a period of 10 off-seasons & the entire place would have been brought into the 21st century, & I’d bet they could have gotten MLB to approve a new ballpark revenue sharing deduction as if it was a new park. Selig & the owners would have gone along w/it. The new park just doesn’t feel like Yankee Stadium to me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You can never cover the walls with the grime of history again, and I agree there’s an excitement vacuum that exists everywhere except for a few sections of the new park, but I will trade ALL OF THAT for NOT having a separate entrance to the bleachers with no access to the stadium, WIDE CONCOURSES, and bathrooms that don’t look like the bathrooms at a holdout-from-the-1970′s LES bar.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Agreed. Having been to countless games at the old, and several games at the new, I would vote that they’d chosen to build the field and interior (seating areas back to the concourses) exactly as they existed in the old, but from the line between seats and concourse out, exactly as they built for the new. Best of both worlds.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Jayson Nix helped the Yankees win that day. 2 Errors, including the 4th biggest play of the game.

• Pat D says:

Except that play didn’t end up meaning anything.

His second error, where Contreras also made an error on the same play, was much costlier. It was a lot more entertaining, too. A true comedy of errors type play.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I never disliked him. I think he wore out his welcome by being on the roster for too long, but I understood that Joe saw something in him, pre-surgery, in Miami, and believed in him.

Esteban Loaiza, on the other hand, looked like someone dressed as a Yankee for Halloween. It didn’t help that I was at the height of my Contreras man-love at the time either. I fucking hate Esteban Loaiza. There’s him, Glass Carl, and then there’s everyone else.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

I look at this team and I see 1996:
      Boggs : Youk
      Tino : Tex
      Rivera : DRob
      Wetteland : Rivera
      Pettite : Pettite
      Cecil : Pronk
      Girardi : Stewie
      Straw : Wells

“we play today, we win today… das it!”

6. trr says:

So far, I’m really enjoying this season. This team shows grit and heart. I’m feeling….good!

7. Cuso says:

This team reminds me of Dustin Pedroia.

8. dkidd says:

great win

random observation: eric wedge looks rough for 45

his complexion reminds me of members of my family, which makes me think he enjoys the occasional cocktail

• SeventhAce says:

I’d be surprised if he indulges only in an “occasional” cocktail and not full on hardcore alcoholism considering he is the manager for the friggin’ Mariners.

• Bob Buttons says:

If you manage a team going nowhere like Seattle for a couple of years you’d look that in a hurry.

• Pat D says:

And remember he managed the Indians for years before that.

• Bob Buttons says:

For his sake I hope his next gig is not with the Pirates or Cubs.

• Pat D says:

Most guys don’t get a third turn with such little track record of success.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Well in fairness, it’s not like he’s had much to work with.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Few managers could do less with more. I’m not a sabermetric zealot but Wedge drives knowledgeable fans crazy with his seat-of-the-pants style based on stale cliches and bromides.

This is a guy who literally kept Chone Figgins in his lineup as long as he could on the basis of “grit” and “veteran presents” until the GM put him out of everyone’s misery. Batting a guy with a .262 OBP in the leadoff spot “to light a fire under him.”

Same deal with Miguel Olivo–he let a little bit of power blind him to the rest of the flaws of a 0.5 WAR catcher who’s led his league in passed balls 4 of the last 7 seasons. “Veteran presents” and this instead of playing Jaso or Montero?

In short, stop defending him. :-) He’s an idiot. Whatever insights he had he left in Cleveland.

• Bob Buttons says:

Tis the life of a manager in pretty much every sport. Your rep live and die on how well your team does.

Sucks for them (I mean so in the nicest way) if they are stuck on a couple of shit teams.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Guys like Wedge just keep getting recycled, keep getting new gigs, while other guys are left to twist in the wind. A lot of those guys who get passed over all the time are of the African-American persuasion. It’s one of those things that irritates me.

I’ll climb off now.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Pick up your card too =P

I kid obviously, you’re right…it’s still one of the most unfortunate things about our society, because part of me truly believes it’s not consciously done.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I highly doubt that it is consciously done. I’m sure it used to be that way, but I doubt it is now. Still bums me out. I mean, when does Willie Randolph get another shot?

• jsbrendog says:

he helmed the worst collapse….i doubt anyone would give him another shot. If the stros hired a guy who doesn’t even know the rules I doubt willie gets another shot.

• WhittakerWalt says:

It’s hardly Willie’s fault that Glavine gave up 7 runs in the first inning of that game.

• Bob Buttons says:

I’m not saying that you don’t have a point there, but Dusty “arm-destroyer” Baker has a job despite basically ruining two great arms in Chicago, and certain people are largely overrated (Cito Gaston).

I mean, Wedge DID have that season where he “won” the ALDS in 07 with the over-achieving Cleveland team. Fucken midges.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Obviously it’s a very complicated issue. Dusty Baker being a totally horrible manager doesn’t help. It’s just… with all the players of color on actual teams it’s starting to look weird when old white retread coaches like Ned Yost keep getting a shot.

• vicki says:

i found him kind of sexy when he was in cleveland but he’s just haggard now. ps. face muffs are stupid; grey face muffs are criminal.

9. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

It’s as if the Baseball gods are apologizing for the Orioles 2012 season.

10. Manny's BanWagon says:

Good to see that Granderson didn’t spontaneously combust playing LF.

11. WhittakerWalt says:

I have to say I thought it was kinda neat that Sterling did the “Raul, so cool” thing when Ibanez hit the homer. It reminds me that even though Ma and Pa are terrible announcers they’re still not as bad as Harrelson. He’d have just sulked and whined if the opposing player homered.

12. Dalek Jeter says:

It’s time for my most hated Yankee list, cause I haven’t done one and I’m bored:

C-Pudge Rodriguez

RP-Felix Heredia
    RP-Jon Lieber

• Dalek Jeter says:

Oh, DH Jose Conseco

• Pat D says:

Jon Lieber?

Also, are you drunk or tired? So many misspellings. Tsk, tsk.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Tired and Lazy. And a lot of my list is/was determined by broadcaster’s and manager’s irrational love for a player, causing an animosity towards them. Cory Wade, Scott Proctor, and Farnsworth were all just miss candidates for my bullpen.

• lightSABR says:

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Scott Proctor just because of the craziest day in baseball history – Sept. 29, 2011. When the Yankees needed to lose to the Rays to finish the Red Sox’ epic collapse, Scott Proctor was the man for the job.

• Bob Buttons says:

If not for Chacon’s willingness to pitch out of BP we wouldn’t have gotten Abreu. But if you want to make an argument that if not for him Lidle is probably still alive, go ahead.
      Also, I have to say, Lieber DID net us CJ Henry, whom we flipped for Abreu. But again, I won’t argue that if you say Abreu was on some “most hated” lists.

Other than those I can’t rationally disagree with your choices.

• forensic says:

What could Dioner Navarro have done in his 5 games and 7 PA’s to earn your hate? And why Lieber? He was ok for his season in NY.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Terrence Long.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Betemit and Karstens brought a smile to my face there. Definitely made the last cut for me.

I did like Phillips and Cairo, though. Totally understand why they’re not your kind of players. The epitomy of “professional baseball player.”

Lieber does confuse me a bit. I thought he did well for us.

I will, say, though, that it looks like your list was proofread by nycsportzfan.

• JRod says:

Karim Garcia was our equivalent of an NHL goon. When an opposing team’s groundskeeper needed an ass-kicking, he was always there. It’s a role that goes unfilled on MLB rosters for long stretches. Nobody likes them, but they are what they are. Sometimes you need to let the berserker out of the cage.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Sheff was a beast. Also a compete asshole and selfish prick. But man there were a few years there where it felt like he and ARod would combine for like a 5 – 9, 2HR, 2 2B, BB, 6 RBI night every freaking night.*

* I’m not sure that line ever happened.

13. your mom says:

Jerry Lane’s strike call was hilariously enjoyable. No where near the plate.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Seriously. Does Romine get any credit for screening the ump? Or was it just “Come on–you’re the Mariners against Mariano Rivera, two outs, nobody on. Who are you kidding?”

• LarryM FL says:

When I watched the replay of the last pitch, what a horrible call from a Mariners prospective. I enjoy it, game over.

14. Dave Miller says:

Yanks would be nowhere without Cano, but it drives me crazy when he doesn’t hustle. Can’t really complain – he’s that good. But he should have had a triple, not a double. With 1 out, that matters.

15. mustang(The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Mike Axisa says:
    May 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    It’ll have legs(Joba& MO thing) until the Yankees get dominated on Felix tonight and everyone blame Granderson’s return for ruining chemistry.

Well even Granderson couldn’t ruin the chemistry of this bunch. Another fluky 1 run win don’t you love how those still count in the win column.
    Don’t you worry Grandy a couple days around these guys and you will fall right in line with the chemistry.

• jjyank says:

What does that even mean? Grandy, by all accounts, is a wonderful clubhouse presence. I think you’re overstating chemistry and the clubhouse atmosphere established in the time Grandy was gone. I’m sure he fit in seamlessly the millisecond he returned yesterday.

• Kramerica Industries says:

It seems like Mike, being his usual snarky self, is getting lost in that comment.

• Mike Axisa says:

Was a joke. Lots of people have been saying the Yankees don’t need their injured players and they’ll only ruin the team’s chemistry.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I was joking on Mike above because I know how much he under values chemistry. I value it more but not to this “Yankees don’t need their injured players and they’ll only ruin the team’s chemistry.” point.
        That’s just ridiculous.

16. WhittakerWalt says:

FWIW I think a team of Cone and Leiter would be the best broadcasting duo in baseball history. I wish someone would give them a real job. They are that good.

• 14E says:

A lot of people bash on Leiter but I think he does a good job. Though, the best YES booth to me is Singleton doing play-by-play, Cone analysizing, and one of O’Neill/Pinella for a little humor and storytelling.

• forensic says:

Leiter is easily my favorite analyst. He’s a great mix of everything.

Cone still hasn’t grown on me. I guess I’m just not quite as easy as some people here who think because he says FIP on a broadcast that he’s suddenly amazing. And his penchant for saying the same thing 4 times in a row, maybe slightly changing it once, bugs me a ton.

I know it’s unpopular here, but I’m still a fan of Kay.

• LarryM FL says:

I like Kay. He is professional. Singleton is a good pinch hitter for fillin. But Leiter gives the best analysis of the players and insight. Cone is next but he has a bad habit of repeating his points trying to stretch his point out, otherwise he knows the game well and is very valid in the booth.

• jsbrendog says:

pinella is terrible. barely above flaherty. i miss jim kaat :-(

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Pinella gets an “obivously drunk elderly uncle” pass from me. At least he tells good stories.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Kaat is also very good. He’s pretty old, though, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to work that much.

• Eddard says:

Doesn’t Leiter also do games for MLB? If I were FOX, ESPN or TBS I’d scoop those two up in an instant. Cone might not want to do national, though. They’re infinitely better than Smoltz, Kruk or McCarver.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The networks might not agree, though. Lowbrow sells to a very different demographic. It’s not just baseball nerds watching.

17. JLC 776 says:

Had to watch it via gamecast, but that ‘felt’ like a really good win!

18. PFOJ says:

The applause for Raul’s first at bat wasn’t nearly enough. Might be asking for too much in the new stadium, but I was hoping for a much more noticeable ovation.

19. Gene Parmesan says:

“It’s one banana, Michael. What could it cost, ten dollars?”
    -Hal Steinbrenner