Jun

O’Brien hits first High-A homer in rain-shortened win

Some more roster shuffling at the upper minors, which is becoming difficult to track. Injuries, doubleheaders, and big league needs are throwing a big wrench into things. All courtesy of Josh Norris and Donnie Collins:

• Triple-A Scranton: Both RHP Zach Nuding and LHP Fred Lewis have been sent down for Double-A Trenton. They were up to help cover for RHP Ivan Nova yesterday. He was scratched from his scheduled start so he could start for the MLB team tomorrow. IF Dan Fiorito was sent back to High-A Tampa and C R.J. Baker was placed on the phantom DL to accommodate the recently acquired RHP Chris Bootcheck and UTIL Brent Lillibridge.
  • Double-A Trenton: UTIL Casey Stevenson has been bumped up to Triple-A Scranton. RHP Jose Ramirez, who was sent down yesterday, will be moved back up to Triple-A Scranton to start on Tuesday. The demotion was just a paper move to free up a roster spot. RHP Scottie Allen was sent back down following his spot start.
  • High-A Tampa: 2B Angelo Gumbs has been demoted to Low-A Charleston, according to Norris. He’s hit .248/.299/.344 since coming off the DL (finger) a month ago. OF Eduardo Sosa was released, reports Nicholas Flammia.
  • Low-A Charleston: IF Fu-Lin Kuo was been promoted to High-A Tampa to replace Gumbs. The Yankees have signed OF Aaron Gates out of an independent league and assigned him to the River Dogs, reports Norris. OF Taylor Dugas has been placed on the DL for an unknown reason.

Triple-A Scranton Game One (6-4 win over Norfolk in 11 innings, walk-off style) this was a regularly scheduled doubleheader from what I can tell, not a makeup date for anything

• CF Corey Patterson: 2-6, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 SB
  • C J.R. Murphy: 2-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 1 K — 10-for-31 (.323) with five walks and five strikeouts in nine games since the promotion
  • RF Fernando Martinez: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
  • LF Cody Grice: 2-5, 1 R, 1 K — 13-for-45 (.289) with two homers and two steals in 13 games since being an emergency call-up
  • 3B-2B Casey Stevenson: 3-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 E (fielding) — he has three homers this year, and this is second time he’s hit a walk-off homer in the first game at the new level … he did it when he joined High-A Tampa last month
  • RHP Caleb Cotham: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 4/7 GB/FB – 58 of 81 pitches were strikes (72%)
  • LHP Francisco Rondon: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 5/1 GB/FB — 32 of 48 pitches were strikes (67%)
  • RHP Yoshinori Tateyama: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 19 of 28 pitches were strikes (68%)

Triple-A Scranton Game Two (5-2 loss to Norfolk)

• 2B Brent Lillibridge: 1-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 K
  • RF Fernando Martinez: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 K
  • DH Dan Johnson: 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB — 52 walks and 50 strikeouts in 70 games
  • RHP Graham Stoneburner: 5 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 4/4 GB/FB – 58 of 84 pitches were strikes (69%)
  • RHP Dellin Betances: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/0 GB/FB — 21 of 35 pitches were strikes (60%) … 27/9 K/BB in 24 innings as a reliever

Double-A Trenton (8-3 win over Portland)

• LF Ramon Flores: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
  • CF Slade Heathcott: 0-5, 1 R, 2 K
  • RF Tyler Austin: 2-5, 1 R, 1 K – threw a runner out at second
  • RHP Mikey O’Brien: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 5/5 GB/FB — 56 of 87 pitches were strikes (64%)
  • RHP Danny Burawa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GB/FB — 14 of 23 pitches were strikes (61%)
  • LHP Cesar Cabral: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K — 20 of 37 pitches were strikes (54%)

High-A Tampa (4-1 win over Brevard County in five innings) completed early due to rain

• CF Mason Williams: 1-3, R
  • 2B Rob Refsnyder: 0-2, 1 BB
  • LF Ben Gamel: 0-2, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
  • C Gary Sanchez: 1-1, 1 R, 1 BB — on pace for 43 walks after drawing 32 last year
  • DH Peter O’Brien: 1-2, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 K — grand slam for his first homer at this level … if they do intend to play him as rumored, it might be a few days until he debuts there just so he can do some prep work, etc.
  • RHP Bryan Mitchell: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GB/FB — 24/6 K/BB in his last 28 innings

Low-A Charleston (7-3 loss to Rome)

• CF Jake Cave: 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 3 K — 14 hits in his last 36 at-bats (.389)
  • SS Cito Culver: 0-5, 4 K — four hits in his last 29 at-bats (.138)
  • 1B Greg Bird: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
  • 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K
  • 2B Angelo Gumbs: 1-4, 2 K
  • RHP Luis Niebla: 3 IP, 13 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 Balk, 5/0 GB/FB

Short Season Staten Island (4-2 loss to Hudson Valley)

• SS John Murphy: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI — first pro homer for this year’s sixth rounder
  • DH Michael O’Neill: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K — has a hit in all five games so far
  • CF Brandon Thomas: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
  • RHP Gio Gallegos: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 3/8 GB/FB – only the third time he’s allowed a run in 13 career games
  • RHP Andy Beresford: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GB/FB
  • RHP Stefan Lopez: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GB/FB
  • LHP Tyler Webb: 1 IP, zeroes, 3 K

Rookie GCL Yanks1 (3-2 loss to GCL Pirates)

• 2B Gosuke Katoh: 1-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 K, 1 HBP – second homer in as many pro games, and this one was an opposite field shot out to left for the left-handed batter
  • RF Austin Aune & CF Jordan Barnes: both 0-4, 3 K
  • 3B Chris Tamarez: 0-3, 2 K — signed for $650k back in 2010, though that was back when everyone thought he could stick at shortstop
  • RHP Brady Lail: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HB, 3/5 GB/FB — one of the better sleepers in the system, a three-pitch guy with a very good curveball and an upper-80s fastball that will hopefully add a few ticks as he fills out his 6-foot-2, 175 lb. frame

Rookie GCL Yanks2 (5-2 loss to GCL Tigers)

• CF Adonis Garcia: 1-2 — played five innings in the field as he rehabs from a broken wrist
  • CF Kendall Coleman: 0-2, 1 K
  • C Luis Torrens: 0-3, 1 K – played seven innings in the field, probably by design … he was born in 1996 (!!!) and just turned 17 last month
  • LF Nathan Mikolas: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
  • 1B Dalton Smith: 1-3, 1 R, 1 2B
  • RHP David Herndon: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GB/FB — former Phillies reliever has a 3.85 ERA (4.27 FIP) in 117 career big league innings and is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery … the Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Blue Jays, outrighted off the 40-man roster, then re-signed him to a new minor league contract this winter thinking he could be a middle relief option in the second half and maybe even in 2014 and beyond
  • RHP Angel Rincon: 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 4/1 GB/FB — 22/6 K/BB in 22.2 innings at this level last year
Categories : Down on the Farm

1. dkidd says:

already hypothesizing about sterling’s call for katoh

it’s a tricky one: kato kaelin? the cato institute? does anything rhyme with gosuke?

this is what i do with my saturday nights. stupid toddler…

2. Pat D says:

Tough break for Gumbs. Hopefully he can right the ship.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d forgotten about the Herndon signing.

Unbelievable that Torrens was born in ’96. Cobain had been dead for a couple of years already. I don’t trust him.

Hope Gumbs is able to overcome this hurdle and never looks back.

• Pat D says:

I was born two months after Lennon was killed. Do you trust me?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

1980? I was six. It was also the first time I’d ever heard of John Lennon. I knew something big had happened, but it’d be a while before I realized how big.

Nixon was still president when I was born. Don’t trust me.

• IRememberCelerinoSanchez says:

LBJ was president when I was born. So … yeah.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I was born when…Bill Clinton was president.

• Pat D says:

Get off my lawn, you damned young’n!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Bill Clinton was the first president I ever voted for.

• Pat D says:

(sheepishly)

Al Gore. By absentee. Who knows if they even counted it? Had to put the ballot inside one envelope, then put that envelope inside another envelope which was not bigger. It ended up being a little bent at the top, so they might have suspected it was tampered and disqualified it.

Gore still carried PA that night.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

And, then, they put Pat D in a bigger envelope and sent him to Palm Beach County.

Definitely didn’t count, sorry to say. Did you receive your “thank you” from Pat Buchanan?

’92 was my first election. Very proud of it.

• Pat D says:

Like I said, Gore carried PA, my state, so Pat Buchanan had nothing to do with it.

I’d be proud if ’92 was my first election, too. Alas, mine is 2000.

All I know is that I’ve gotten my record back up to .500, hoping to get over the hump in 2016.

4. Different Josh says:

Holy crap is that quite a line for Niebla.

5. Curtis says:

Luis Niebla: 3 IP, 13 H

What da whaaaa? Isn’t this guy a prospect?

• Different Josh says:

I find it amazingly impressive that he managed to only give up 4 runs with that line. The no walks isn’t bad. I’m actually curious if it was the bullpen who gave up the runs, or if they stranded the runners.

6. Doug says:

That wasn’t Caleb Frare pitching today. He is out for the year after Tommy John last November.

7. trr says:

I may become a Cave-man again

8. Ramiro says:

how is it possible to give up 13 hits in 3 innings while only giving up 5 runs?

• Different Josh says:

4 earned!

• OhioYanks says:

There were 8 non-scoring baserunners across what was really 4 innings (pitched in 4th, but recorded no outs). That’s only an average of 2 per inning, which can easily be stranded.
      In this case he also got two double plays and the reliever stranded 3 inherited runners. Unearned run was on a passed ball rather than E, which also means one less base-runner.

Recap is on MiLB.com

9. Danny says:

Frare didn’t pitch, he’s out with TJ this year, box score was updated late in the afternoon.

10. felixpanther says:

I think Frare is on TJS rehab….

11. pat says:

Only a solo HR for Katoh. Clearly just a stat padder.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Peter O’Brien is a fucking beast! Thank god he got promoted, because he deserved it! The kid has a serious bat!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

And let’s hope he actually has a position on the field to play by the time he gets to the majors.

• OhioYanks says:

Four year college guy who played his senior year at a major program. He certainly has good offensive potential, but at the same time I’m waiting to see what he does at a higher level. Even at High A, where we don’t have a sample nearly large enough to say anything about yet, nice to see a HR and 2-6 but he also has a 50% K-rate.

13. Omerta says:

Austin threw a runner out at first after catching a line drive to right.Not second.

14. Cuso says:

I just realized something. Murphy is actually going to be on the ’14 team isn’t he? Time flies….

15. Wayne says:

Whatever happen to timothy flight and hayden sharpe were they traded?

16. Wayne says:

I don’t get the promotion of José Ramírez to aaa he is not ready for it! They are slowing down his developement this way. Wait till mid august to transfer him to aaa at least.

17. Wayne says:

I hope peter is not another arod with the drug situation Coming from Miami. That is why i hope we don’t sign Robinson Cano in the offseason. He started hit ring homeruns and got bigger out of nowhere. Cano and Bautista from Toronto i suspect are both cheaters. I love robinsons glove but he is not worth the investment not at his age. He does not even sell tickets from what they are saying.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

WAYNE’S WORLD! WAYNE’S WORLD! PARTY TIME! EXCELLENT!

• TJ says:

O’Brien is not a part of the Miami drug thing he is the cleanest kid ever. It’s a real shame that its even brought up! Peter doesn’t even drink, he works his butt of and kills baseballs! He’ll be fine at 3rd too, he grew up in the infield and played 3rd in high school before catching his senior year! Just be happy for the kid and don’t start stupid rumors.

18. Pseudoyanks says:

Wow! Katoh BatOh!

19. Wayne says:

I sincerely apologize from bringing it up. I let arods situation affect my judgement with out knowing the guy. I am so sorry. I hope he has a great career whether he does it with the yankees or not. You can’t knowing a guy who works hard and is clean. god bless peter o’ brien in good times and bad times. I hope he gets everything he wants and needs out of his life. Again i am deeply regretful! I will not bring it up again!

20. Wayne says:

I sincerely hope Peter O’brien has a beautiful life!!!!