Jun

Yankees unlikely to have interest in Manny Ramirez

No surprise here, but the Yankees are unlikely to have interest in Manny Ramirez according to multiple reports. “I wouldn’t say,” said Brian Cashman in a generic response to Anthony Reiber when asked if they would look into signing him. “I don’t think it’s in my best interests to say who I may or may not have interest in.”

Ramirez, 41, recently opted out of his contract with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan in hopes of returning to the big leagues. He hit .352/.422/.555 with eight homers and more walks (23) than strikeouts (21) in 49 games and 206 plate appearances for the Rhinos, who play in a league that is roughly equivalent to High-A ball. I’m pretty sure no team will give Manny — who has served his most recent PED suspension and could join a team right away — a shot given all his baggage, especially the Yankees considering their emphasis on makeup and character.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Bavarian Yankee says:

it would be fun if a team like the Marlins or Astros signs him. They have nothing to lose anyway.

2. Dicka24 says:

Just saw that Eric Thames got designated by the Mariners. Any chance the Yankees would be interested in him? Former Yanks draft pick and still only 25. I’ve always liked his potential.

Also, Ramon Hernandez was released by the Dodgers. I have to think he’d be an upgrade over Romine.

• Travis L. says:

I suppose they could claim Thames and put Youk on the 60-day DL. I’m sure someone will snatch up Thames before he gets to the Yankees though. As for Hernandez, I’d say he is an upgrade to Romine, at least until Frankie comes back. I just don’t see them making that move.

3. I'm One says:

Why am I disappointed by this?

4. Travis L. says:

With Well’s current hot streak (he is 1 for 1 in his last game), Manny can be Manny while sitting at home watching Sportscenter talk about Manny being Manny.

5. Eddard says:

The owners should blackball him from baseball like they did Bonds. He’s a locker room cancer. He quit on Boston, he quit on his Taiwan team, what makes you think he wouldn’t quit on us?

6. jack says:

Headline is misleading. Cash says he wouldn’t say whether Yankees are interested or not. He did NOT say that Yanks are not interested.

7. ExitCashman says:

Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco are available, too. We could have a 3-ring circus.
    Just say NO.

8. jimmy james says:

A part of me wants it to happen, because hey…anybody is better than Wells at this point. But then logic rears its ugly head and tells me, “NO!” I’ll pass on Manny this time around…

9. Brooklyn Nets says:

Greatest right handed hitter in most of your generations and you want to pass because of “Manny being Manny?”

Take a shot and see if he can be even 75% of Manny Ramirez. That would still be the second best hitter on our team.

• D$1184 says:

The distraction is now 41 years old and aside from those 5 games in 2011 after which, he “retired” to avoid being suspended for 50 games for using performance enhancers which termed out to be a FEMALE FERTILITY DRUG, he hasn’t played in the big leagues since 2010. He was a double negative defensively in the outfield about 10 years ago so we can guess what he would be now. Might as well sign one of those old timers we saw today. O’Neill or Bernie would have more left in the tank than Manny. Plus, even if he could hit a little, where the hell are they going to put Jeter, A-Rod, Hafner and Manny when the first two get healthy again? You can only have one DH in a line-up, not 4.

10. Mikhel says:

Meanwhile yesterday, cuban superstar (king of the homerun in Cuba) Alfredo Despaigne had a double and a panoramic homerun in Campeche, México, but both were not official because the game was suspended by rain before the 5th inning.

Photo courtesy of Gary Espadas in La Peña Beisbolera in Facebook:

11. Proko says:

High-A ball? Axisa you might just have to fly to the far east to see are they only a high-A level. Gotta check where your rumors from meat.