Jun

Wednesday Night Open Thread

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

What a splendid Wednesday. We had 80 weather (on the 20-80 scale, of course) here in New York and the Yankees cruised to a relatively stress-free win over the Indians. They only went 4-4 on their eight-game homestand, but at least they ended it with three straight wins. Flying across country to Seattle will surely be a much more pleasant experience now.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets are playing the Nationals (Gee vs. Haren), and ESPN will air the Rangers at the Red Sox (Ogando vs. Lackey). You’ve also got some NHL playoff action later as well. Talk about any of that stuff and more here. Go bananas.

Categories : Open Thread

1. KEN says:

THE DRAFT IS ABOUT 24 HOURS AWAY. WHO DO THE YANKS PICK IF HE IS AVAILABLE?

2. Bob Buttons says:

My random take on recent news:

Sandy Hook school, tear it down and rebuild a new school on the same site: You must be a blockhead to think this is a good idea. Tearing it down and building a new one doesn’t make it a much different place for kids. Just like how you wouldn’t forget it if the alley you first kissed your spouse in is now a record shop.

People got kicked off the plane: It’s a pain in the ass logistically to transfer 109 people onto another plane. Also, it was delayed for 45 minutes. I don’t think the crew would like to waste time either. They are legally adults already and should be perfectly capable of adhering to safety policies and simple instructions. There was even quotes from third party people from the same plane that supports the crew. Most importantly, one of the guardians said something about nobody wants to even move around, never the less do something. Do they not know teenagers? And if any of you are still defending them, they got a different ride. And lastly, do we really have time to make sure everyone who wasn’t listening got off the plane? It’s 101 teenagers, and the flight was already delayed for takeoff. That’d be a waste of time.

84 year old winning the lottery: Good for her. She can enjoy the sunset and even leave some to her kids, if she wishes to. (I didn’t read it.) CNN’s sub-headline: “Gloria Mackenzie, 84, passed up a payout spread over 30 years for a smaller one-time lump sum, pocketing $370.9 million before taxes, a Florida lottery official said.” Really? An 84 year old wouldn’t take a spread over 30 years?

Newest rape victim in India: Geezus if you are a woman or know a woman in India do not let her travel in parties less than 5 people, for her sake. What a hellhole.

Other bad news where people died: Don’t even have the heart to read it. Misfortune happens too much. Hope they are coping with it well, and RIP to the victims.

• trr says:

Bob taking the “random” part seriously

• Bob Buttons says:

On certain days I’m even more random than this.

Really depends on how nutty I am trying to find things to do to keep myself from eating snacks throughout the day. Been putting on some extra lbs lately and it’s starting to show.

3. The Real Greg says:

White Sox are doing us a solid.

0-0 Bottom of the 12th.

4. Jacob the OG says:

1. Anybody know of any good Knick’s blogs?

2. Who is everyone’s prospect crush this year?

• jjyank says:

My prospect crush has been Mason after Montero was traded. Center fielder with the last name Williams? Bernie was my first favorite player ever, so it seemed like a natural fit. Unfortunately, it’s looking like a bad pick this year. I’ll stick with him, though.

• McLovin says:

Postingandtoasting.com is a good Knicks blog. I read it from time to time.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah you can’t go wrong with the SB Nation blogs. I hate the Knicks and everything about them but postingandtoasting is solid.

As for the crush it’s gotta be Sanchez. For a sleeper I’m going with Cotham.

• Bo Knows says:

1. Probably one the SB Nation, Knicks blog

2. De Paula, Austin (healthy group)
      Banuelos, Pineda (I know but at this point he might as well be a prospect)

• GreenArm says:

oh man. knickerblogger. its fantastic.

• Bob Buttons says:

JR Murphy, the semi-forgotten catcher in the shadows of our Big Three catcher (now two), Montero, Sanchez and Romine.

5. forensic says:

That picture is sort of what I imagine Girardi looks like when he makes out some of his lineups.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

“I mean….whaddaya want me to do, grow a catcher plant out there and see what pops up?”

7. Mike N says:

Is the Rangers-Red Socks game blacked out in NY or something? There is some kind of John Elway retrospective on or something on ESPN2.

Never mind, contrary to the listings, it is actually on ESPN. For some reason, the scheduled college softball game isn’t on.

8. Mike N says:

Anybody hear anything specific about what Girardi was emphatically telling Robertson in the dugout last night?

9. Hall and Nokes says:

Man Noesi is getting rocked in the 14th. At this point, so long as Pineda/Campos don’t injure any of their teammates, the Yankees won the trade.

10. Joe says:

Fantasy H2h categories help. Just got offered this trade I give up Travis Wood, Big papi and Yasiel Puig for shelby miller and Starling Marte, what do you guys think?

• trr says:

I wouldn’t , think u should get more

• Jacob the OG says:

Oooh, I would pull the trigger if it were not for Big Papi being included, I say that kills the trade. My reasoning is that eventually Wood will throw up some stinkers and get back to a tad above league average and I do like puig but I don’t think he will be better than Marte for the remainder of the year (I really like marte(. But this is just my rationality

• jjyank says:

Keeper league, or no? I have Shelby Miller on my team, and he’s freaking killing it. Marte is kind of “meh” to me, though.

• SDB says:

Marte has speed, can steal, gets on base a reasonable amount and is being driven into score reasonably often by a pretty good (but not great) offense.

Ortiz is streaky, I think Puig will come back to earth quickly – Shelby Miller though looks phenomenal. I’d say make the trade.

11. Jacob the OG says:

“I think I could probably catch better than Stewie, but wuddya gonna do?”

12. Wheels says:

Someone should come up with a caption for that photo of Girardi.