Jul

Audio: A-Rod’s doctor says there is no quad injury

Ready for some drama? Dr. Michael Gross, head of sports medicine at Hackensack and the doctor behind A-Rod‘s second opinion, just said during an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN that Rodriguez is not injured. Gross said that A-Rod has no pain and also noted that A-Rod thinks he could play tonight if the Yanks so choose. Gross examined an MRI earlier and had authority from Rodriguez to discuss the results on the air. “To be perfectly honest, I don’t see any injury there,” Gross said while acknowledging that a slight Grade 1 strain may not appear on an MRI.

The Yanks haven’t said anything yet, but they can’t be pleased. The team cut A-Rod’s rehab short this weekend when a quad injury occurred, but many reports, based on anonymous sources, described A-Rod’s unhappiness with the decision. Now, with Gross’ public comments, A-Rod is forcing the issue. If he could play right now and the team is holding him back over the looming Biogenesis suspension, I think he’s completely in the right for allowing his doctor to speak publicly on the FAN. I’m sure we’ll hear more over the next few hours. (Additional reporting by Benjamin Kabak)

Update (4:20pm): According to Chad Jennings, A-Rod never informed the team he was getting a second opinion. The CBA gives players the right to get a “second evaluation” from a doctor of their choice, but they have to notify the team in writing first. Brett Gardner used the rule to get a second opinion on his elbow last season. It’s unclear if the team can hand down any discipline in this case, but various reports indicate it wouldn’t be anything significant. Alex may simply have to pay for his own doctor’s visit.

Update (4:40 p.m.): Ken Davidoff spoker further with Gross, and the doctor clarified his views. He did not examine A-Rod, but rather, he saw the MRI results and spoke with Rodriguez. He also stressed to The Post that he has not approved A-Rod for game action.

“I can’t clear him to play,” Gross said. “I’ve never examined him. He knows I can’t clear him to play. I wouldn’t even call it a second opinion. The Yankees have nothing to do with me. The only thing he said to me was he feels he’s ready to play.”

The Yankees haven’t released a statement yet, but Gross seems like he does not want to be the center of attention here. “I have no agenda in this,” he said. “I think that’s probably why they asked me, because I’m not a big name, a famous guy. I’m not Alex’s doctor. I’m not the Yankees’ doctor. In my opinion, I didn’t see much going on. I’m happy to say that, because it’s factual. All I’m saying is, this is what I saw or didn’t see. What they do with it, what they make of it, have fun.”

Categories : Injuries

1. Cy Pettitte says:

It’s really starting to look like the Yankees are preventing him from coming back, I don’t think ARod leaks this through the doctor unless the Yankees are working against him.

• Kvothe says:

Wasn’t A-Rod the one who reported the quad problem in the first place?

• Cy Pettitte says:

maybe ARod felt something that day that was more minor and they took it as an opportunity to keep him on the DL? I really have no idea but it seems odd that we never heard about him getting a 2nd opinion and then the results get leaked like this. If the Yankees wanted this out there couldn’t they just have a quick press conference?

• jsbrendog says:

we did hear about it. it cqme out that he wanted to get one and the yankees said no but a “source” said arod was going to get one anyway. and so he did

• BeanTooth says:

The second opinion came just this morning. I don’t know if the Yankees had even heard about it.

• Duh Injuries says:

It’s really starting to look like A-Rod’s doctor is saying A-Rod is not injured so A-Rod could collect as much 2013 pay as possible before he is suspended for 100 or more games for continuing to be a steroids cheat. Once MLB suspends A-Rod, he will appeal the suspension and his 2013 pay will be untouched.

Fuck A-Rod’s doctor. Operative word A-ROD’s doctor. You think A-Rod’s doctor is gonna agree with the Yanks? A-Rod bought that “second opinion” and even he admitted to feeling pain. BTW how come A-Rod himself hasn’t publicly said he’s not injured when news broke that he was this past weekend?

Why would the Yanks blatantly lie and say A-Rod isn’t injured? If he can play, they’d play him as I doubt they want Brent Lillibridge to be their everyday 3B (last night’s game-winning RBI notwithstanding) or Hafner to be their everyday DH the rest of this season being within striking distance of the second wildcard.

A-Rod is a pathetic excuse of a player and a human being and if I were the Yanks I’d put him on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to July 17 so he’s eligible to come off the disabled list August 1 then put him on the 60-day disabled list on August 1 thus shut him down for the season, this way when he’s suspended for 100 or more games all those games will be in 2014 not 2013 and 2014, or most of 2013 if A-Rod was suspended say next week and his punishment was say 75 games (midway between 50 and 100, 10 more than Braun, neither too little nor too much) which would be a disaster for the Yanks cuz he’d miss only most of April 2014 since the Yanks have 62 games left to play including tonight’s game. If A-Rod is suspended for say 75 games after game 108 (a little over a week from now), he’d miss the final 54 games (third of the season) and only the first 21 games of 2014, so the Yanks would barely save any money for 2014.

• LK says:

You do realize that steroid suspensions can be served while on the DL, yes?

• Duh Injuries says:

I know that, but I want him suspended later than sooner because the later the more 2014 games he’s out thus the more money the Yanks save for 2014. I don’t want him suspended this year, I want him shut down August 1 so his suspension begins in 2014 not whenever this season.

I want him shut down for the season August 1 then suspended for all of 2014 or at least the first 108 (two-thirds) of 2014, this way he spends most of August playing in AAA, is called up in September, and benched (not even with the team.)

• LK says:

Yeah, I get it. What I’m telling is that whether or not he’s shut down August 1 or any other date has no bearing on when his suspension begins.

• Alex says:

Judging by how team is acting to would have to be a fool to think that they would put money saved from A-rods suspension towards the payroll.

• BeanTooth says:

Or could be that the Yanks don’t trust ARod to be truthful. Athletes lie about their health all the time. Look at Jeter. Could be that the team sees a 38-year old coming back from major surgery who tweaks his quad and decides it’s best to slow things down. Strikes me as completely plausible.

2. Kvothe says:

Well, this is going to make for an interesting next couple of days.

3. Karl Krawfid says:

Yankees are trying to get him out of there.

MLB won’t care.

• RobA says:

MLBPA certainly will.

PED’s is one thing. THey wouldn’t fight too hard for ARod on it. But MLBPA will absolutely NOT allow a team to keep out a healthy player who wants to play for their own gains.

• Duh Injuries says:

How is the MLBPA gonna force the Yanks to play A-Rod?

All the team has to do is say A-Rod is unfit to play through their doctors, that’s it.

Neither A-Rod’s doctor nor the MLBPA decides when A-Rod returns, the team doctors do.

If I were A-Rod I would shut the fuck up as his doctor is obviously his mouthpiece and just remain on the disabled list because he is only making MLB and the Yanks angrier with this “I can play” nonsense. He really is a distraction now and needs to go away.

4. PinstripesNY says:

This is going to get ugly, really fast.

5. King George says:

(In the voice of the NFL Blitz video game commentator)…AND WE ARE…UNDERWAY!

6. Jag says:

Grab the popcorn!

7. Rbi baseball says:

I can tell you for sure he didn’t violate HIPPA. There are some pretty grave consequences for that. The research lab that I work in is part of a hospital, and during orientation they made a huge deal about HIPPA. Breaking HIPPA is a no-no, it could cost a person their job.

• RobA says:

HIPPA = Hippocratic oath?

• Kvothe says:

It’s a health privacy law.

• RobA says:

ahh..

So what they’re saying is that if he didn’t violate HIPPA (unlikely) then AROd gave him permission to speak out.

Which makes perfect sense. If ARod feels the Yanks are railroading him here and not allowing him to play when he feels healthy, and considering the uproar last time he opened his mouth, that he allow his doctor to speak.

ANd it seems pretty organized. I mean, why else would ARods doctor even be on a radio show?

• Lee D says:

hipaa*

8. LK says:

Oh shit.

9. JLC 776 says:

SHUT THE FUCK UP, AROD’S DOC!!!

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

We need a centaur specialist to view the x-rays.

11. Slu says:

How long until Cashman tells Alex to STFU again? Maybe Curt Shilling is right (and it pains me to write that) and Alex will never play for the Yankees again.

12. Jeety says:

Mike,

Can’t the Yankees just DFA Arod… if someone claims him… good riddance… if not, then you let him Kei Igawa at Scranton.

Or can they negotiate a buy out?

How about an outright release… although that would suck moneywise.

• DERP says:

Since Alex has more than five years of service time, they can’t send him to the minors without his consent. Buyout and outright release are available, but unlikely.

• Havok9120 says:

He can’t be sent down against his will.

DFA/getting claimed would still leave them on the hook for his contract minus the prorated league minimum.

Buyout again requires ARod’s consent and is unlikely for that reason. The only leverage the Yanks would have in talks for a buyout would be ARod’s fear of a lifetime ban since there is absolutely nothing the Yankees can do to avoid paying him every last cent of that contract.

13. JLC 776 says:

This whole thing is becoming dumber than a football bat.

14. Andrew says:

If the Yankees hate A-Rod enough to not let him play for however long possible before he either a) gets slammed with a suspension or b) breaks down with an actual injury, when their team is in desperate need of offense…yet they want to buy at the deadline? And want to still talk “championship” while also simultaneously trying to cut spending on the actual team? I hope the Steinbrenner boys sell.

• Slu says:

I don’t think it is that complicated. I think they have had enough of Alex’s lying and drama and are looking everywhere they can to try to get out of this in the cheapest possible way. I have a feeling if Alex forces their hand they may just release him. Which I think would be basically be involuntary retirement for Alex. Nobody will sign him for any amount of money with the circus that is going to follow him.

• LK says:

Well, if they released him he’d be available for the pro-rated minimum, and he put up a 114 wRC+ last year, which would be 2nd on the current team. I think someone would take the chance, though it’s not a given.

• Slu says:

Maybe. I was thinking of Bonds as well, but production aside, even at league minimum, would you sign up for that circus? I don’t think I would, but I am biased, obviously. And frankly, before all this I considered myself an Alex fan.

• Andrew says:

I disagree on involuntary retirement. If he wants to play and is a FA because the Yankees choose to swallow his contract, a team will definitely sign him, regardless of the sideshow. He was an above-average third baseman last year before the injuries. Whether it’s as a DH or a part-time 3B, a team would take a shot on him if he were up for it. Only issue would be any suspension time he’d have to serve.

• The Lime says:

Though I had the initial same reaction, Bonds’ forced retirement made me reconsider my beliefs. Though I assume someone would pay him, it’s certainly not a slam dunk.

• Darren says:

I think there was lot more offensive firepower generally available back then comapred to now. Or maybe the Yankees’ lack of any offense is coloring my view.

• LK says:

It’s also possible Bonds wasn’t willing to pay for the minimum, which is what a (hypothetical released) A-Rod would be available for.

• i like bacon says:

you are so right, there putting money before winning.thats just sad.. miss you george

15. Dan says:

The Yankees need to negotiate a buy-out. There is no chance this relationship is ever going to heal. It’s going to be really expensive, but they should just make him go away for 60%+ of what’s remaining on his contract.

• RobA says:

I doubt he takes that. No reason too.

First of all, say what you will, ARod loves playing baseball. He’s not ready to retire yet, and with a buyout even of 60%, theres no way someone else will pay him the other 40% and make him whole. Nobody is paying ARod $40+ million.

He wouldn’t accept it.

• Slu says:

Exactly. The only realistic way this ends without Alex playing for the Yankees is an outright release.

• Dan says:

But he can look at the time value of money, he really wouldn’t be leaving that much on the table, it would be $40 million, 4 years from now–it’s not worth as much as it would be today. Even if 60% is too low, they could get it done at 70% or 75%, there’s a number where it would work.

• RobA says:

Yes, $1 today is better then $1 in 5 years. But there is a point when that isn’t relevent, if the two numbers become too far apart.

In Arods case, he’s owe about $96 million left from now. I don’t think $38 million now is better then $14 million (rest of this year), $25 million in 2014, $21 million in 2015, and $20 million for each of 2016 and 2017.

Would $70 million now be better then $96 million over the next 4 years? Probably. Would $38 million be worth more then $96 million? Of course not.

So a buyout is an option. I think you’re looking at more like 80% or more though.

If his contract was stretched out for like, 10 years, sure a lower percentage would make sense. But why would he take 40%($38 million) when he’d make that much within a year and a half anyways?

• ropeadope says:

At today’s interest rates the time value of money isn’t what it once was. If you turn the clock back 30+ years and can get an 18% yield on a 4 year CD (which I did in 1981), then it’s a whole different story. Money doubled in 4 years (rule of 72). Of course on 40 – 60 million, rates don’t need to be much above zero to have an impact.

• Vincent Vega says:

There’s absolutely reason to do it. Depending on how the MLB investigation pans out, he could very well lose a decent chunk of his contract close to or more if MLB goes all in.

• OldYanksFan says:

Sorry… but wrong. Between future injuries (and there may well be future injuries, maybe a career ending one) and the upcoming suspension, the Yankees stand to get back a decent portion of ARod’s upcoming salary. Unless ARod would go away for 1/2 price, if I’m the Yankees, I stay put.

Futhermore, let’s say ARod can physically play for 2014-2017. He is owed $86m over that time. Let’s say he is BELOW average… or 1 WAR each year. That makes him worth about $5m/yr. You don’t think Miami, or some other attendance starved team would love 4 years of ARod for say… $20m?

And frankly, last year he was worth 2.6 WAR, with part of that year playing on a bad hip. My guess is he will post more than 4 WAR over his last 4 years.

So he still has some real value, provided he can still play.

The Yanks will sit tight for a while, and see how this plays out.

• Bubba says:

I agree with pretty much everything you said but isn’t A-Rod hurtling toward the addition by subtraction zone? I’m not an A-Rod hater but the unnecessary drama is getting to be a bit much. Look at the amount of virtual ink being spilled on a player that hasn’t played a game this season.

On a side note, wouldn’t it be a fetlock injury?

16. mt says:

Still haven’t figured out how it benefits Arod if he “forces” Yanks to activate him to play for say, 5-10 days, before suspension hits.

What a mess – if Arod got second opinion that truly differed from Yanks did he even try to go back to Yanks first and pressure them to activate him – how does Arod gain from public nature of this when in a couple of days we will learn he is a complete and utter liar (Remember he – or his publicists – said he did not really ever get treatment form Bosch).

Of course, he does achieve one goal: embarassing the Yanks who hate him and he hates them.

• RobA says:

Word is he’s not accepting a deal like Braun, so it will be a whole before suspension is announced, then he can play while appealing, which could take months.

• Dalek Jeter says:

He’s going to appeal the suspension, so there’s a good chance it’s at least a month before he gets suspended.

• King George says:

Because he can feasibly appeal the suspension, which won’t be settled until the offseason. A-Rod wants to play. A suspension doesn’t go into effect immediately.

17. RobA says:

Not to mention, theres a decent chance he could win his appeal, IMO.

We’re in uncharted waters with regards to non-testing suspensions. And MLB has a lot of dirty laundry themselves in this sleazy affair with regards to how they went about getting their info.

There are stories of shady characters following employees and breaing into vehicles while people are in stores and stuff.

This isn’t a slam dunk for MLB.

• King George says:

There’s actually no chance he wins his appeal. It was described that Braun’s evidence used against him was a “Lego” compared to a “skyscraper” on A-Rod. It is a slam dunk for MLB. Only thing that isn’t a slam dunk is the amount of games he’s going down for.

• RobA says:

Not really. Just like how Braun got off on a technicality, I could see something similar.

MLB still needs to follow some sort of due process, and considering some of the sleazy tactics they’ve used, and some of the sleazy people they’ve used, I can absolutely envision an arbiter deciding they muddied the waters too much and nobody has credibility.

• JGNYC says:

MLB fired the arbitrator who ruled against them in the Braun case, so of course there’s that working against Arod in a future case. You know, go against MLB in your decision and lose your job as an arbitrator…

• LK says:

Yeah, MLB would represent a minute fraction of any arbitrator’s business, so compromising their integrity to get a few more cases from MLB would basically be career suicide – not to mention the fact that the MLBPA has to agree to the arbitrator also.

• OldYanksFan says:

I don’t think so.
          Braun’s initial suspension was based solely on a failed PEDs test. He got out because they were able to show the test results were ‘botched’. That was the technicality.

ARod is not going down because of a failed test. His suspension will be based on a different part of the CBA agreement, which specifically gives Selig latitude in doling out a punishment.

My guess is:
          1) They have absolute prove he purchased PEDs from Biogenesis.
          2) They may have proof he tried to impede the investigation.
          3) There has been talk that he may have invested in Biogenesis.
          4) God knows how else ARod fucked up.

He’s not getting out of this.
          Furthermore, if in trying to win his appeal, not cooperating the way Braun did (and many others will), lying further, and just dragging Baseball more in the mud, I don’t think he’s helping himself.

I like ARod. I’m very disappointed in him.
          If he was smart, he would cooperate (ala Braun), and maybe if he made a really good public apology, he could get less than 150 games, and have 3 1/2 years left to catch Willie, and maybe the Babe.

ARod is a moron. He will only make things worse on himself.

• Andrew says:

I dispute the idea that MLB-leaked information about their own side of a legal case is 100% accurate. Braun may have had myriad reasons for taking a deal that don’t apply to A-Rod. ‘Slam dunk’ is a stretch.

18. JW says:

I guess what I don’t understand is what kind of incentive the NYY would actually have to hold him back (even in the face of any looming Biogenesis suspension).

In any case, (1) this isn’t going to hold him back too long, and (2) all the leaks seem to indicate that A-Rod is more likely to fight this to the hilt than to do a Braun-like plea deal, so any suspension isn’t going to happen until next season.

• King George says:

They don’t like him and feel he’s a distraction. That’s the easy answer, although I vehemently disagree with that when their team desperately needs his offense. Cutting off their nose to spite their face, really.

• Havok9120 says:

Which is hard to believe, frankly. While I’m sure the idea that “the front office is just being a bunch of morons” will be pretty popular, I’m not sure it’s actually a reasonable guess as to what’s going on. There’d need to be a lot of people being determined to be really stupid for absolutely no possible gain.

That doesn’t sound right for a very competent businessman and a highly skilled baseball executive. Not to mention all of the people who would have to have held their tongues to keep it from leaking.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Every game/date the beginning of the suspension is pushed back is another game he’ll be suspended for in 2014 (assuming he is in line for >65 games which I assume he is). That could dramatically help the Yanks get under $189mm and still field an effective roster.

19. Dalek Jeter says:

They should call in a centaur specialist to view the MRI.

20. Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

Soooo…A-Rod believes that the Yankees are committing fraud and that their team doctor is violating his obligations for professional conduct. I can believe that, or…OR…that A-Rod is a lying pile of steaming dung, an admitted liar, who has nothing to lose because he’s backed into a corner.

Hmmmm…who should I believe…

• LK says:

Whatever you think of A-Rod, it’s the doctor saying he’s not hurt.

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

Well, it’s A-Rod allowing the doctor to disclose personal health information that he’s not seeing something that may or may not show up on an MRI or whatever. This doesn’t happen unless A-Rod initiates it.

• RobA says:

No, this is crazy.

Sure ARod is allowing the doc to release info. But the Doc isn’t going to lie. If he’s saying there’s no injury, it’s because in his opinion, there is no injury.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

I didn’t say the doctor is lying. I can’t listen to the video because I’m at work, but from what I read the doctor is saying he doesn’t see anything. Not seeing anything doesn’t mean he isn’t hurt, as Mike said. It just may not show up.

So, you have a doctor on a sports show talking about a player’s injury where you have inconclusive results. I sincerely doubt that doctor volunteered to go on that show. I think what is more likely is that someone in A-Rod’s camp reached out to the doctor and asked him to speak to his findings. It seems to me that the only reason that happens is because A-Rod disputes the Yankees injury claim for whatever reason.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

No. Grade 1 strains are diagnosed empirically…asking questions like “How do you feel?” and doing a physical examination to observe reactions, etc. They are NOT typically solely diagnosed via MRI. They’re microscopic tears that can heal completely in literally a couple of days.

The doctor specifically said he DID ask A-Rod how he felt, and the reply was 100%. The doctor also specifically said he did NOT perform a direct examination. The doctor cannot prove a negative (i.e. a-rod does not have a grade 1 strain). However, he CAN state his opinion that between the clean MRI and the Q&A that his opinion is that there is nothing preventing him from playing. He could be more thorough with a direct examination. But if you listen to the audio, there’s not much equivocation.

• Gonzo says:

Wait until the Scooby and the gang pulls off the doctor’s mask to reveal… YURI SUCART!!!

• LK says:

I’m not saying A-Rod’s not involved. You painted this as A-Rod’s integrity vs. the Yankees’ doctors’ integrity, and it’s not that simple. This doctor’s integrity is involved here as well.

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

To talk about it in your terms, the doctor doesn’t have to be dishonest for A-Rod to question the Yankees integrity.

I am pointing out that the cause of a public refutation (is that a word?) of the Yankees claim is A-Rod, not the doctor. Seems to me this doesn’t happen if A-Rod doesn’t make it happen.

• LK says:

Yes, I understand your point. I just don’t think it really carries any weight.

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

I’m not sure that you do, you brought up the doctor’s integrity. The doctor’s integrity has nothing to do with it. He said he didn’t see anything on the MRI, and admitted that he didn’t personally evaluate A-Rod. He asked A-Rod if he was in pain, A-Rod said ‘no’. The doctor, based on that information, said that he didn’t believe that A-Rod was injured.

So, again, you have to believe either:

1) Yankee Team Doctors/the organization
                2) This doctor who is objectively reporting his findings which include the word of an admitted liar. Oh, and by the way, objectively reporting information that he wouldn’t be permitted to report publicly if he wasn’t given consent.

I’m not sure how that ‘doesn’t carry weight’

No, I do.

• Dr. TJ Eckelberg says:

Ok, just confirming you were just believing whatever you wanted.

• LK says:

We’re all believing whatever we want, because we don’t actually know. We have 3 facts (since you accept A-Rod’s doctor isn’t lying):

-A-Rod’s MRI is clean.
                      -A-Rod told this doctor he isn’t feeling pain at this point.
                      -The Yankees placed A-Rod on the DL.

There are essentially 2 possibilities.

A. A-Rod told the Yankees he was feeling pain, and they placed him on the DL despite the clean MRI. Then he told this doctor he wasn’t feeling pain and told the doctor to go on the radio to report it.

B. The Yankees exagerrated what was a minor bout of tightness into a DL stint. A-Rod got pissed off and tried to subvert the team by having his doctor go on the radio.

You seem to think A is far more likely than B because of what amounts to an ad hominem attack on A-Rod. I don’t find that to be especially compelling.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

No doctor has enough incentive to lie about something like this. His career would be over.

21. Dalek Jeter says:

Man, if he’s healthy enough, let him play!!! At least until he gets suspended…I mean it’s not like the media shitstorm is going to be any less if he’s hurt. the media is still going to come out in FULL FORCE whether Alex is physically there or not. And at this point possible production out of 3B/DH (which may lead to a handful of wins)>>>>fan blow back of him playing.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Agreed. Maybe I don’t understand the entire ramifications for the team, but as I see it, he’s on the roster, and he’s an upgrade if healthy. This can’t really be just to save face for the NYY?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How does this save face, though? The more the FO doesn’t look like it’s taking the higher road, the worse it looks for them.

I’d rather look stupid than untrustworthy in a situation like this.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

True. I was referring to saving face as a public relationship move: suspending a bum on the DL who used drugs and can’t get healthy vs. the active 3B on a team of money spending, win at any cost, pennant buying cheaters. A gross exaggeration of the media response, but I think you smell me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah. Take the high road. Every guy, corrupt or not, who could ever sign a deal with your team is watching. Treat all your employees equally, whether its on the way up or on the way down.

I hear what you’re saying, though.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Or worse, cheap. That said, I do think that the Yanks pushing as much of the suspension into 2014 as possible is a sound strategy as it relates to $189mm.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think folks (which is different than when Bill O’Reilly refers to “folks”) will try to call the Yankees’ bluff in salary for years to come.

• Evan3457 says:

What if the Yankees, for whatever reason, choose to believe their own doctors, as opposed to this second opinion?

What if they’re afraid he’ll reinjure this minor strain and be out for the rest of the year, whereas if he rests for a week, he might be healthy enough to play for the whole year?

Oh, and Francessa’s a dope for not realizing this.

22. EndlessJose says:

What curse word will Cashman use? Derek Jeter looked healthy and got injured his first day. The Yankees are probably playing safe. When did the doctor see the results as he said a Grad 1 is microscopic and can change easily and be missed.

23. Former ACE MannyGeee says:

This is getting too goddam nuts.

I saw an article earlier this week that sounded alot like “we’re all sick of hearing about a-rod, we just want him to go away…” and I was get upset and make an argument against it. But in retrospect, I think I am kinda sick of A Rod. I either want him to go away or come back NOW and hit alot of baseballs out of parks.

24. Andrew Brotherton says:

I doubt the appeal process will take months, apparently they have a ton of evidence against him that most likely will get leaked beforehand to make Arod even more uncomfortable. Also in regards to his injury or non-injury if he isn’t running well, not swinging the bat well in the minors and then comes to the team and says he feels some pain why wouldn’t they shut him down?

• King George says:

It will take months

• Betty Lizard says:

If you don’t think the appeals process will take months, you’ve probably never done high-stakes arbitration.

• Havok9120 says:

It can take months just to get all sides to agree to a date to being the hearings. Especially when one side has an interest in delaying the start.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

I think the public airing of the info is definitely part of the back channel negotiations for a plea deal. Notice how quiet MLB is in the Braun situation. They’ve essentially shared nothing by way of evidence. They even patted him on the back (!) for taking the suspension. Braun’s apology was a non-specific quasi-apology non-admission admission. If all the dirty laundry was aired, that possibility very much goes away.

It may seem like splitting hairs (especially since Braun’s reputation was destroyed regardless) but for these prima donna megalomaniacs I think stuff like that matters. I mean hell ARod has had like 6 PR firms over the last two years. He cares what people think, even at the margin. Add in the stories that he surrounds himself with yes-men in his own bubble and I could see a desire to keep the evidence “sealed” as strong motivation for ARod.

25. Just get him off the 60DL and into the lineup.

It’s at least worth it for baseball.

26. Lonnie says:

With the way this season is going, this is way more fun than the on the field stuff.

27. Scott says:

If A-Rod says he’s healthy and the Yankees want to minimize his time on the team, here’s what they should do: put A-Rod at 3B immediately, and run him out there every single day — not on the 1-3x/wk plan Jeter will be on. How long before A-Rod actually breaks down again, if forced to play 3B every day?

• Mike says:

Play him everyday, leave him out there until he refuses to play and then release him for cause and thus get out of the contract.

• RobA says:

lol you think that coud happen?

That if a player just says he can’t play and have his contract ripped up?

All he’d have to say if it even came to that was he needed a day off becaause he was sore or hurt. No manager is going to force him to go out there after hearing that.

Use your head.

28. Robinson Tilapia says:

Not that I believe any of this, but I’ll play along:

You entered into the agreement to play the man. If this is true, stop dicking around and put him on the field.

It’s not the 189 or whether you think they should have gone after TEH PUIG or whether the implanted Grape Nuts in Manny Banuelos’s elbow. It’d be shit like this that would make the new ownership come off as swarmy and dirty as ol’ Papa Bear was when he hired Howie Spira to get him dirt on Dave Winfield. This would be 100% Grade-A bullshit.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Yup.

• jsbrendog says:

i was thinking about this the other day….

isn’t what MLB did exactly the same, or at least crazily similar, to what the boss did to winfield? and he got banned and suspended but because bud is in charge he gets to suspend others for the dirt he some scummily obtained?!

• Havok9120 says:

The argument would be that such tactics are reserved for the League office and no one else.

Which….yeah.

• BFDeal says:

George must be spinning in his grave because his sons haven’t hired someone to get dirt on Arod!!

29. CountryClub says:

The Yankees put Jeter on the DL with the same injury. That hurts Arod’s case regarding the team trying to keep him off the field.

I’m sure he’ll be in the lineup in the next couple of days. They can always say that once he complained about the tight quad, they wanted to make sure it was 100% before they threw him out there. Didn’t want him to join the list of players that came back a few days early just to go back on the DL.

30. dkidd says:

ladies and gentleman, the bronx is burning

31. MB923 says:

I dislike the guy as much as anybody, but if this team wants to start winning games, put A-Rod in the frekin lineup. If he’s healthy to play, let him play.

If they don’t play A-Rod while he’s healthy, then they really don’t care about winning. They are stuck paying him until he gets suspended which may not even happen until next year for all we know.

Yankees look foolish in this if what the doctor said is indeed true.

32. Al says:

What will the Yankee Puppet Kay have to say ! Bet he’s by the fax Waiting For word from Brian Cashman on what he should say about this

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think Radio Kay can say whatever the hell he wants to say.

• jsbrendog says:

yeah radio kay really puts the yankee puppet kay thing into a shallow grave. yeah he is a homer on yes cause well fucking duh. but he does seem to be able to voice his real opinions, toned down or not, who knows, on the show.

33. Jeter's Giftbaskets says:

Anyone else think he’s trying to wrestle one more week of games before he gets suspended for a long time (maybe lifetime)? And that the team just wants him gone? There’s so much going on behind the scenes right now…

34. A.D. says:

AROD previously had a quote citing that he hurt his quad:

“I didn’t think it was that bad. They all know. We called them right before the game and told them we would be DH-ing today and they said, ‘Do whatever you need to do, as long as you get up here,’” said A-Rod to Dan Martin

So maybe the team is being overly cautious or not now to have him rest it, but it’s not like the team made up the injury

35. Bronx Cheer says:

Something I am surprised nobody has brought up. Is it possible the brass doesn’t want this A-rod thing raining on the Mo farewell tour parade? We’ve had plenty of “distractions” in the clubhouse before under the current front office, but never one of this size with a generational player playing out his career.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t see it distracting from anything. Mo is Mo. Alex is Alex.

• Bronx Cheer says:

I agree with you, but for whatever reason the front office is treating this situation way different than past ones. I am grasping for a semi-plausible reason why beyond Cash has a hate-on for A-rod.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Why do you need semi-plausible reasons when there are completely plausible reasons? Think back to the opt out. When Alex went around Cash – over his head more specifically – it made Cash look like a bitch. Obviously ownership can do what they want – and they certainly did when they gave ARod this preposterously stupid contract. But doing it in the face of the GM having said explicitly that if ARod opted out he was gone…you don’t find that plenty of motivation for Cash to hate ARod?

• Erica says:

Mo and A-Rod have nothing to do with each other, except for the fact that their paychecks are signed by the same person.

36. KD says:

Who can believe these money grubbing Steinspawn? A-Rod did not force them to offer that contract. Now they are trying to get out from under it dishonesty. Good Grief! We need help at 3rd. Bring A-Rod back already and give him/us a chance. what the Fuck is wrong with this organization? They treat all of us like shit!!

37. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I really am starting to hate Hal and Hank. They seriously are assholes. Cutting payroll, making no moves to improve the team, and now keeping one of their best players out of the lineup because they’re embarrassed or something?

Fuck off, guys.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Why are you taking all these things at face value?

• LK says:

I think it’s pretty clear there’s at least something going on here. A-Rod (apparently) says he’s healthy enough to play. You can say the team’s being cautious, but they sure as shit didn’t do that with Jeter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Here’s my take on all of this:

I believe he’s up to his chin in Biogenesis at this point. Pretty sure of that. The rest of it? I don’t believe anything other than he’s trying to rehab to get back. Now, that doesn’t mean that I don’t think there’s all sorts of behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on. I just don’t believe them as presented to us.

• LK says:

I don’t think you have to believe all the facts as presented to us to conclude that the team isn’t completely blameless in all this.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

To be honest with you, this is pretty much the straw that broke the camel’s back. Whatever is happening behind the scenes, I really doubt it makes them look good.

38. Erica says:

What?

I just listened to this doc on ESPN and he said he’s never met A-Rod – he only spoke to him on the phone and looked at his MRI this morning.

39. Preston says:

If this is true, then my view of the Yankees FO has changed. Faking a medical condition to keep an upgrade off the field is pretty bad.

• MB923 says:

Not sure if Bad is the word I’d use to call it. More like Stupid. Put the best product on the field (as much as we all hate him), he’d help out this team for as long as he plays, whether it’s 1 game, 2 games, or the rest of the season.

They’re still paying him until he gets suspended.

40. yeayo says:

Just get him playing again. We have been putting up garbage at 3b for most of the season. If the Yankees are serious about making the playoffs, having Arod on the field gives them the best chance.

41. OldYanksFan says:

I think Jeter needs to step in here.
    He should tell ARod that if he shuts the Fuck up,
    he can have a few sleepovers at Jeter’s house.

42. Commenter from the Future says:

All right guys, here’s the deal. A-Rod’s going to be suspended forrrrr…Noooooo…Wormhoooole…!

43. Gonzo says:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a classic misdirection. Somewhere a European super-villain is robbing NYC, and probably the Steinbrenners, blind!

44. Brian Cashman (by way of Cool Lester Smooth) says:

You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, we will. Michael should just shut the fuck up. That’s it. I’m going to call Michael now.

45. The DonSlaught says:

Geez, who would have thought of this?

46. Preston says:

I’m sick of these stories. I don’t care. I just want to watch and enjoy baseball. All this Machiavellian maneuvering whether by A-Rod or the Yanks FO or MLB is just tiresome.

47. Matt B says:

Whole lot of assumptions to preface my main point:

1. ARod is relatively close to the point where he’s ready to play at the major league level (in which case I don’t even think it’s an assumption to say he’s a significant upgrade, that’s trending fact).

2. If MLB plans to suspend him immediately upon activation – and frankly I’m not sure that makes any sense, MLB doesn’t need to wait, they can announce their findings whenever they damn well please, I think folks are reading a bit too much theater into this – he’ll appeal and the appeals process won’t be resolved until the offseason. Also note, Braun cut a deal beforehand – if you believe the reporting, ARod has no plans of doing so, So if indeed a suspension is imminent, and ARod won’t play ball, you might well be looking at 100 games or even 162.

3, He ultimately loses the appeal over the offseason.

4. Yanks still plan on staying under 189.

I’m an ARod fan – and the club will need to find someone to play 3B next year. I blame ownership and austerity for the current mess this club finds itself in moving forward much more than I blame ARod and I won’t relish him being given a lengthy suspension. That said, though, to me, here’s a truly optimal outcome:

-Arod rejoins the club this year and plays through the season, adding whatever he can to a club that’s likely not postseason bound but isn’t non-competitive.

-The full brunt of the suspension applies to 2014, allowing all the financial savings to take place in the 2014 season. The Yanks have about two thirds of a roster to fill – to have that 27.5 million available (other money coming off: Mo, sadly, Pettitte, Jeter’s slashed salar, possibly Kuroda though I believe they need him back if they’ll come; obviously some of that is offset by what it’ll take to resign Robbie (and they will), some arb bonuses, etc. – but done right and creatively, you’d suddenly be looking at a club with plenty of cash to play with even under austerity – enough to bring in some real impact players (the merits of which are for another topic, but the McCanns, Beltrans, Garzas of the world could be on the table) – could result in a situation where the club is able to bring in a critical mass of pieces to have an actual transitional year, continuing to develop some of the positional player talent that may finally be in the system, bringing them up as needed or ready.

Plus if you love Arod and think he’s got anything left,in this scenario, you’ve still got three more years to look forward to.

Might all be pie-in-the-sky, I have no idea what the Yankees’ motivation is right now, but to the extent they’re angling, and assuming a suspension, it’s all about the suspension coming in ’14.

48. Justice says:

Will Carroll ?@injuryexpert 3m

Hearing an MLB team has filed formal complaint re: ARod’s DL stint. Want 3d party exam, discipline for Yanks, doctor if not to standard.

49. LarryM Fl says:

The way I see it. Its in Arod’s best interest to get on the field. So he can play then get injured or be declared unable to compete at this level because of his prior injuries. If he is declared unfit to play baseball because of an injury. He gets the remainder of his contract paid to him. Th Yankees would be free of about 80% of the total which is paid by insurance. I beleiev this situation would have too occur before he is suspended so not to loss pay for 150 games .

The Yankees on the other hand would take the scenario mentioned above but can not risk this to be Arod’s plan. Also the Yankees would love this to play out where Arod does not come back and is suspended for 150 games. This is a long time frame for a 38 year old guy to come back. When he comes back after the suspension. Arod may not be physically able to play and his contract would be covered by insurance for the most part.

This situation is horrible for the team. It screws with future plans.

50. jdp says:

I don’t like Rodriguez the person, but as a player he’ll be better than what we’ve got right now. Make him the DH. [Keep Littlebridge at third!]
    Yes, he’s a cheater, but he’s our cheater. Other teams are playing their cheaters until they get suspended. We should, too.

51. Captain_Turbo says:

There’s no way the Yankees can force out A-Rod and he isn’t going to quit, so we just have to live with him for the next few years.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

If your point is to try and taint those memories, you can go fuck yourself with a rusty rake.

Nothing will ruin 09 for me. I don’t care if ARod was on steroid horse mounty balloon spaceship pills.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

And not just you, but anyone.

And if your intent was not to do so, then I apologize.

• Brian S. says:

I’ve always been a huge A-Rod fan and I want those moments to be the way he is remembered. I know everyone is upset with him now but I didn’t want people to forget how he almost single-handedly got us to the World Series in 2009.

• Steve says:

Weren’t you one of the assholes who was furious that mike wasn’t enforcing the commenting guidelines?

For the most part, everyone reading and commenting on RAB is a Yankee fan. Those who are not Yankee fans choose to enter the fray anyway. When arguing and opining about the Yankees, remember that we are all fans of the same team. To that end, personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. Any comments that we deem libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing or threatening will not be tolerated, and we may ban repeat offenders from contributing to the site. The same is true for fans of other teams who are here to insult Yankee fans. Constructive conversation, however, will not be stifled.

Fuck yourself with a rusty rake. Hmm

• Dalek Jeter says:

Thanks Brian, that just made my day :)

• Erica says:

This just breaks my heart, man.

52. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Another thing: Whenever somebody says “I miss George” people will always jump in to talk about hoe people don’t remember what it was really like or are thinking of him with rose-colored glasses.

I’m not. I never was. I know EXACTLY what George’s faults were. I know about his spats with the teams. I know about what he did to Winfield to get suspended. I remember the meddling and the shit he gave Martin and Reggie, and I remember all the big-name free agents he ended up signing. I don’t have rose-colored glasses. I know who the man was.

And I miss George.

53. Tino!_24 says:

The Boss would love this headline grabbing stuff so much. The yanks are struggling but they still make the back page and the front page of the rags… Next thing we will hear is arod was punched by a marshmallow salesman in an elevator. I say if the hammy injury don’t fit you must acquit. But anyway, I think the doc is totally legit and would not want to ruin his reputation by lying in any way (remember hes not an athlete or politician) so I think he was put up to it by both arod and maybe even by the fan but he is telling the truth. Oh the Bronx zoo is back long live the Bronx zoo!

54. Rob says:

This doctor is an idiot. He says an athlete who says he can play should be given benefit of the doubt.

Also he said to Francesa “you play sports…”. Shows what a louse he is.

55. WhittakerWalt says:

I’VE SAID IT BEFORE, DAWG,
    THIS.
    IS.
    A.
    YOOOOGE STORY.

56. Sigmund says:

This is just flat out bizarre behavior by Arod. If I recall, Alex was complaining of pain on Saturday and asked to be moved to DH!

From the standpoint of team chemistry and employee/employer relationship, I honestly don’t see how this relationship can continue. It’s just not working out, and given Alex’s continuous insubordination and tendency to cause drama, the Yankees should absolutely cut ties and move on. He’s just a toxic time bomb that you never know when might explode…

57. Gonzo says:

Somewhere two brothers who happen to be uber-rich, financiers are settling a $1 bet.

58. ARod's Quad says:

Um, hey guys, how’s it going?

I’m ready for your questions.

59. Mike Oxlong says:

I think the Yankees are doing their best to avoid paying him any of the home run bonuses he would receive. If they delay him long enough to allow the league to suspend him they may be able to avoid ponying up any of those bonuses before they release him for good. Nobody will want him after all of this so they will be off the hook completely.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Sister his days of power are looooong gone. He’d be lucky to get to 714 even on the field for the duration of the contract.

60. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

You know, this really is a total throwback to the Bronx Zoo era.

Looking at it from that perspective kind of makes me love it in a perverse, twisted way.

61. Cy Pettitte says:

@AndrewMarchand: Yanks looking into if A-Rod violated the CBA by seeking a second opinion without consulting them

this is just gonna keep getting uglier

• Gonzo says:

People always ask what George would do…

• steves says:

If I am understanding this correctly the Yankee doctors did the original MRI and then physically sent them to Dr. Gross. For purposes of “consulting with the Yanks for a second opinion” the acts of the Yankee doctors are the acts of the Yankees. Yanks are not going to win this one.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

At the end of the day it’s irrelevant because the “punishment” for such a heinous crime would be that ARod would have to pay any costs associated with said second opinion. That’s it.

62. EndlessJose says:

A-Rod is gonna ruin his reputation more than ever before.He got greedy ad if he would have not taken anything after 2009 he would be hitting right now.

Just like Clemens he got greedy and he deserves a lifetime ban at this point.

63. I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

This isn’t the MRI you’re looking for…

64. Anthony says:

If arod violated the CBA by getting the MRI, what are the reprucussions?

• Preston says:

The teams pay for all medical expenses of players, because he didn’t get permission he’ll have to pay, maybe a small fine, it’s not anyting major.

65. FRANK says:

I bet that Hank isn’t invited to Thanksgiving dinner this year.

66. Adam says:

This is all seriously unreal and difficult to wrap my head around. Plain and simple, it just reflects how out of touch Alex is and how horrible he is at his own PR.

67. Crime Dog says:

Just let him play this weekend. What’s the worst thing that could happen?

68. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Now its just stupid.

69. Frank says:

What a clusterfuck.

70. I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Check this out:

“Granderson said A-Rod was “like a little kid at recess when we asked him if he wanted to come hit with us, but [Yankees officials] stopped him and said he had to do some other things.”"

Like………hit the showers? Fill out some forms?

71. RetroRob says:

I suspect by the time all the dust settles a decade from now, and all the lawsuits are finished, A-Rod will be the owner of the NY Yankees, or perhaps all of MLB…

72. emac2 says:

They need to just suspend him for the rest of the year for continued disruption and misc violations of team policy and the CBA.

Or maybe just for making him the opposite of a draw/star.

Would you keep Lance Armstrong on a cycling team just because you owed him money?

73. emac2 says:

Or maybe just for making himself the opposite of a draw/star.

74. Jack P says:

Hahah Mike once again going to bat for the Yankees when the times get tough, you’re a sellout Mike. Mike Francesca has more spine than you right now.

75. Manny's BanWagon says:

The Yankees should send Arod for a 3rd opinion, this time with Dr Kevorkian.

76. Darren says:

Here’s what I don’t get. If Alex is healthy and the Yankees are keeping him down, why didn’t he say he’s ready to play tonight? Why say Friday?

I mean, if he is legit ready to go and the Yankees are playing games with him, then fuck them. But if he’s sorta almost ready, then turning this into a 9 ring circus is just asinine. I mean, he was almost positioned to be the savior, or at least, a savior in comparison to Nix.

How much would you pay to know the truth abut everything? I would kick in $500.

77. Manny's BanWagon says:

It’s Aroid you’re talking about. His MO has always been to turn everything into a circus.

• Alex says:

A-rod has never been accused of being a genius but its the Yankees that turned this situation into a circus. Its been half a day and not a single statement from the team, if they were in the right Cashman would be telling A-rod to shut the F*ck up. But he has been quiet all day.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

It’s obvious the Yankees are hoping for a lifetime ban or at least a lengthy suspension for Arod and would rather not have him take the field for a few games until that comes down.

Frankly, I can’t blame them.

• Tom K says:

How do you know the Yankees aren’t discussing a rebuttal? You do realize that many people came down hard on Cashman for making such a quick, knee-jerk statement after A-Rod’s tweet went out. Now that they are playing it more cautiously, they are going to get criticized about that?

And it is also possible that MLB has contacted the Yankees (or they are in discussion) and the Yankees were told to be quiet for now.

Or it could be that the Yankees decided to let A-Rod just hang himself with his own rope. He does a pretty good job of that.

78. Al says:

The Yankees are the ones for a false report that the doctor was looking at a fake MRI. The Yankees are the ones reporting in regards to not being allowed to get a second opinion or not being notified of a second opinion. A-Rod a week and a half ago stated in the press that he was looking at getting a second opinion. This is Plane and simple that the New York Yankees are trying to commit insurance fraud

79. Al says:

On MLB network stated that by Friday A-Rod can demand To be activated onto the 25 man roster do the fact that he has been Deemed healthy by doctors Also it is clear that Jon Heyman is getting his information from management of New York Yankee that the Yankees can’t find the Doctor and that the MRI is a fake

80. Tom says:

So MLBNetwork is now reporting that the doctor is being investigated by MLB in connection to PED distirbution at a wellness clinic.

You just can’t make this stuff up!