Jul

Game 107: Dodgers Ace vs. Former Dodgers Ace

(Jon SooHoo/Los Angeles Dodgers)

(Jon SooHoo/Los Angeles Dodgers)

I’m not sure if I’ve been more excited for a game this season. Hiroki Kuroda and Clayton Kershaw are two of my most favorite pitchers to watch these days — both are in my top ten easily, probably top five, maybe even top three — and they’ll square off tonight in the second game of this two-game series. Pitching matchups don’t get a whole lot better.

Kuroda is returning to Los Angeles for the first time since leaving the Dodgers for the Yankees, and that is an intriguing storyline in and of itself. He’s a better pitcher today than he ever was with the Dodgers, which is crazy considering a) he’s older, b) he moved from spacious Dodger Stadium to tiny Yankee Stadium, and c) moved from the NL West to the AL East. The Yankees really need a win tonight and all Kuroda will have to do is out-pitch the best pitcher in the world. Piece of cake. Here’s the lineup that will face Kershaw:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Derek Jeter
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. LF Alfonso Soriano
  5. RF Vernon Wells
  6. 1B Brent Lillibridgehah
  7. 3B Jayson Nix
  8. C Chris Stewart
  9. RHP Hiroki Kuroda

And on the mound is Kuroda, who pitched to a 3.45 ERA and 3.55 FIP during his four years with the Dodgers. In a year and two-thirds with the Yankees, he’s got a 3.01 ERA and 3.72 FIP. Crazy how that works.

More great baseball weather in Southern California … at least I think so. The weather is always great there, no reason to think tonight will be any different. First pitch is scheduled for 10:10pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Injury Update: Alex Rodriguez (hip, quad) will play in a simulated game in Tampa tomorrow. They know where he’ll play in Friday but aren’t saying anything … Curtis Granderson (hand) will indeed join the team on Friday in San Diego as long he feels fine between now and then … Frankie Cervelli (hand, elbow) saw a doctor and still has some soreness. He’s headed to see Dr. Andrews next and probably won’t play again this season.

Categories : Game Stories

1. i Collect Brett Gardner Cards says:

holy crap that lineup.

2. forensic says:

That is some lineup…

3. Pseudoyanks says:

Those chairs look crazy comfortable.

4. i Collect Brett Gardner Cards says:

the bottom five of the order is like automatic outs.
    oy vey.

girardi conceding this one?

5. Jacob the OG says:

There comes a time in every man’s life when his favorite team throws out their only hope against his fantasy teams only hope in a duel of epic proportions. Does he root for his team as he has his whole life even during an almost hopeless season? Or does he run with Kershaw and hope for a Fantasy baseball pennant? DOUBLE K MASSACRE: 10:05 ET IN THEATERS WEDNESDAY JULY 31!

6. Eddard says:

They need to win Hiroki’s starts. He might need to win another 1-0 with this lineup. They can’t even try Nuney at 3rd? He’s a better option than Nix.

7. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Gardner, Jeter, Cano, Soriano.

Could be a worse top 4.

8. Cap'n Obvious says:

It would be helpful if we won this game.

9. dkidd says:

Yanks win 11-9

YCPB

10. fat jeter says:

Yikes. At least the game should be over quickly.

11. forensic says:

Oh good, it’s a CB Bucknor game. Let’s see how he tries to make it all about himself and show he’s bigger than the game.

12. forensic says:

So Mike, is that top three starting pitchers or any pitchers? If it’s any, I assume the third is Mo? If it’s starters, then I have no idea who it’d be.

13. Mouse says:

Here’s hoping we don’t get a perfect game or no hitter thrown against us tonight.

14. Carlos Danger says:

Observation: Jeter came harder outta the box than Cano, that could mean two things. Zing.

15. Cuso says:

I wish I had a time machine to go tell me during Winter Meetings 2012 that on July 31st of the next season our starting 1B would be Brett Lillibridge.

I’m not sure which version of me would slap the other me…..it might be simultaneous.

16. Lukaszek says:

Oh boy, this is gonna be a pitcher’s duel, isn’t it >.<

Too many of those this season, wish we could be treated to a 12-10 or a 15-14 score once in a while

17. forensic says:

Cuso, you see Nick Franklin’s line tonight? Yikes.

18. Kramerica Industries says:

Yankees’ assistant to the traveling secretary is at Dodger Stadium tonight, per Brian Hoch.

19. RetroRob says:

That was a bad play. He recovered from what could have been a disaster.

20. Darren says:

Our lefty bench in the World Series when an opposing lefty pitcher is starting wouldn’t be that bad, with Overbay and Ichiro, assuming Soriano, Gardner and Wells in the outfield.

21. forensic says:

As if the Yankees offense isn’t going to be ugly enough, having to listen to Scully is just going to make this game even worse. I know a lot of people like him, but he’s just like a never-ending metronome that makes everything blend together causing you to lose focus on most of the game.

• SDB says:

Let’s switch. You can listen to Ma and Pa, I’ll take Vin Scully.

• Lukaszek says:

I always thought that Vin Scully was second to Dave Niehaus when it comes to announcing. Dave Niehaus was like Vin Scully, but with a lot more energy

• WhittakerWalt says:

Agree 100%. I know Scully’s a legend, but I’ve never understood why. Other than longevity, there’s really nothing to recommend the way he announces a game.

22. Cuso says:

The Indians are better than us.

Sigh.

23. RetroRob says:

I tell you John, he does something every game to help this team win…

24. SDB says:

Well done Nixy. Does something EVERYDAY to help the team, right?

25. forensic says:

Nix has been so terrible with runners on 3rd and less than two out. Certainly can’t afford to take him out of the lineup though…

• Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

I don’t think he has. He’s 8 for 20 according to what they just said, which is pretty much what you’d expect for a below average hitter given that the league average is 50%.

26. Wheels says:

Could have used a little of that warning track power there, Nix.

27. Mouse says:

Why don’t they ever do squeezes?

28. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Did Kay and Singleton just say that the league average is 70% on getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs? It’s actually 50%, and Nix was 42% before that at bat.

29. SDB says:

Texas walks off AGAIN??

30. Kramerica Industries says:

Jayson Nix is so unbelievably wretched in RISP situations.

I mean, he’s not a good hitter regardless, but he really takes it up a notch in those big spots.

31. Cuso says:

I feel like I’m watching the 1989 Yankees (post-Rickey trade) with all these statistics during these first ABs.

Now all I need are some Sportschannel graphics….wait that was ’88. So, MSG. Or a Congo of 1989 stats and 1988 graphics.

(WPIX is above reproach)

• Cuso says:

I actually remember when Hawk was a Yankees analyst.

• BigBlueAL says:

1989 Yankees was the only really bad team that decade. Everyone harps on how bad the 1980′s was for the Yankees but from 1983-1988 they won 91, 87 97, 90, 89 and 85 games. The 1985 Yankees finished 2nd with 97 wins but won 6 more games than the AL West champs Royals (who also won the WS that year). In 1987 they were in 1st place as late as July 26 and in 1988 they were in 1st as late as August 6.

I defend those teams because those are the teams I watched as a little kid when I still lived in NY lol.

• Cuso says:

I watched those teams too every single night. The Yankees had the most wins in the 80′s of any team.

It doesn’t change the fact that I was talking about individual batting statistics of guys from the 1989 team. But it would probably hold true for earlier years too.

I loved me some Mike Pagliarulo. But every first at-bat (if you remember back then, they only showed the stats on their first AB) you’d see a .217/11/42 line or something like that. That was my point.

• BigBlueAL says:

Oh yeah I got your point, I was just harping on people (not specifically you) bashing the 1980′s teams because lately you read alot of that on this site talking about how the future will be as bad as the 1980′s. If the WC was around back then the Yankees wouldnt have missed the playoffs as much as they did. There were some very good teams in the 1980′s after 1981.

I think it was 1987 when Pags hit over 30 HR’s but hit like .230 lol.

32. Eddard says:

I just can’t believe Nixy and Stewie didn’t come through there. Good thing we didn’t upgrade. 1 run could win this ballgame.

33. Tom says:

And the Angels pen gives it up late for the 3rd walkoff loss in a row to Texas.

Thanks guys!

34. vicki says:

damn, astros.

35. YankeeFan says:

Again if they don’t want to improve the team fine but what’s most frustrating is not improving the team from within. It is continued absurdity with Nix and Stewart.

• Darren says:

Who instead of Nix, Nuney or Adams? I can’t really argue with that, I mean I’d like to give them both a shot over Nix.

And with Stewart, your only option is Romaine. I can’t remember if he playe dthe last few days or not, but he could also easily be dinged up and getting some rest, considering his bad injury history, including revent neck issues.

36. Kramerica Industries says:

Well, you know, fuck you, Angels.

Rangers win on a walk-off home run for the third straight game.

37. Chris says:

What is wrong with the sound on YES? The crowd is drowning everything out.

38. RetroRob says:

Don Mattingly at 50-whatever, out of the game 18 years, bad back and all, is probably still a better hitter than half of the Yankees lineup tonight.

• SDB says:

Before we think of getting him back in, how about we get Girardi to replace Chris Stewart?

• RetroRob says:

I wonder if Stewart ponders how the hell he ever became the starting catcher for the NY Yankees. He’s like the new Jake Gibbs.

39. fat jeter says:

“Alex Rodriguez (hip, quad) will play in a simulated game in Tampa tomorrow. They know where he’ll play in Friday but aren’t saying anything”

Let me guess. I am thinking a on a farm turned baseball field somewhere in Iowa.

40. bobby lucarelli says:

kuroda looks like this korean chick i banged…..kinda gross

41. Kramerica Industries says:

Obviously I could do the research myself, but, seriously, have the Red Sox lost a single home game in extra innings this year? For the life of me, I cannot remember.

42. RetroRob says:

I’m hungry. I’m going to order a pizza. This will not help my diet.

43. Tom says:

Well they at least are making Kershaw work a bit with 51 pitches through 3 innings. Maybe they can contiue to grind the AB’s and get him out after 6 or 7.

Every batter not named Cano and Nix has had at least 4 pitch AB’s (and most have been 5+)

44. mt says:

Not only are our competitors winning but winning with walk-offs which must give so much confidence – Texas, Cleveland, maybe Boston tonight – as we wonder whether we can score a single run in a game – I am not optimistic about this Kershaw game but chickens will really come to roost against the supposedly soft spot of our schedule Padres (playing fairly well recently) and Chi White Sox (have been dreadful) – I can easily see us losing 4 of 6 against those 2.

We need to start winning series now – Cashman today said he preferred to focus on being just 3.5 games behind in wild card as opposed to 8.5 games behind in division – that’s fine but what happens if we are 6-7 games behind in wild card after this road trip (before we can make those waiver claims during August). I hope Grandy has some fire in his bat because we need it badly.

45. forensic says:

After failing to take advantage of that 2nd inning opportunity, would anyone really be surprised if they only got maybe one more hit the rest of the game? Like Mike said last night, it seems like they go through streaks like that all the time.

46. Elton Cod says:

I am surprised nobody has brought this up yet: why didn’t anybody in the front office consider trading Jeter?

I think we have no chance at the World Series, so we should have sold, sold, sold, so we could start rebuilding. If you want to make your farm more fertile you need some manure.

Cano should have gone but Jeter should have gone too. His contract is a drag. Some team like the Dodgers last year could have taken him in the hope that he will still be good for a few more hits. All we would have lost is a bunch of groundouts. In return we would have gotten farm crops which of course we need because Cashman ruined the farm.

Everyone was all excited about Jeter being back because of that home run. But now it’s just like, oh look, I remember, another ground ball in the infield, whoop de doo.

• Elton Cod says:

Also, I’m sure we could have found a contending team that would be only too happy to strengthen its closer spot. Imagine how much we could have gotten for Rivera, who we don’t need because we’re not contending. Move Robertson to the closer spot half a year early, help him get ready to contend in 2015.

• forensic says:

Yeah, because trading Rivera would really go over well with the fan-base (not to mention he would almost certainly refuse any trade).

• forensic says:

Yeah, because trading Jeter would really go over well with the fan-base (not to mention he would almost certainly refuse any trade).

47. Pasta Stumbling Sojo says:

Ha, they’re calling Kuroda refusing to waive his no-trade clause “being loyal to his team.”

• Kramerica Industries says:

I don’t remember – were there any rumours linking Kuroda to the Yankees around the deadline in 2011?

Not to try and bring faux anger into all of this, but Kuroda could’ve pushed the Yankees over the top against the Tigers.

48. Tom says:

Not that batting average is a great stat, but the worst batting average in the Dodgers lineup tonight (excluding Kershaw) would be the 3rd best in the Yankees lineup.

49. forensic says:

Nice job Soriano…

50. Kramerica Industries says:

So great hearing the YES crew destroying Adrian Gonzalez and the scheduling complaints from 2011.

• forensic says:

How did they get onto that as a subject? I totally agree that it was absurd, but it seems like a weird thing to just bring up out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, Scully just finished a two-inning-long story about Mel Allen having a sore throat 50 years ago. Ugh…

• Kramerica Industries says:

Gonzalez was at the plate, I actually wasn’t paying full attention.

But once the momentum started there, I was drawn in to it. Fun to listen to.

• vicki says:

i’ve got the local broadcast but i got a text about vin telling a story that hirok’s mom would throw him out of the house naked when he’d do something wrong.

51. BigBlueAL says:

Cant believe Kuroda is 38 yo.

52. BigBlueAL says:

Amazing how bad Nix is yet as soon as he returned from the DL he is penciled in as the starting 3B.

53. forensic says:

The three batters on my fantasy team in the Mariners-Red Sox game are a combined 1-17 with a walk and seven strikeouts.

Ouch!

54. WhittakerWalt says:

Nixy can’t even get the ball out of the infield.

55. John says:

I really dislike watching Nix bat

56. Kramerica Industries says:

Ho hum.

10 scoreless innings from the Yankees 0ffense.

57. Tom says:

So 51 pitches through the first 3 innings

15 pitches over the last 2.

58. CashmanSuxShit says:

The Yankees might as well be hitting pitchers 5th-9th.

Brian Cashman has managed to assemble a roster SO shitty people were actually anxious for the return of the pathetic Jayson Nix!

59. WhittakerWalt says:

Past a diving Jeter.

60. vicki says:

the ball just dies there.

61. Lrccolt4 says:

Why has it been taboo that maybe after two broken ankles that jeters shift to 3rdyou base. It would get Nunez into lineup at short and the best hitters in there. I haven’t heard this proposed anywhere.

62. Kramerica Industries says:

11 straight scoreless innings.

• forensic says:

I barely even flinch at those kind of streaks since they seem to happen all the time with this offense.

Gotta get up around 15, 18, maybe 20 innings for it to really get my attention.

63. Tom says:

8,7,6…

Kershaw should be down to needing just 3 pitches in the 9th inning at this rate

5 of the last 9 hitters have had ONE PITCH AB’s…

64. CashmanSuxShit says:

These Yankees might as well have pitchers batting 5th-9th.

Cashman has managed to build a roster SO shitty that there were actually some anxious for the return of Jayson Nix, who is a giant pile of dumpster shit!

• WhittakerWalt says:

OMG that’s ridiculous. You make it sound like this is Cashman’s Dream Lineup. He’s making do with what he’s got.

65. Wheels says:

Nice play Captain.

66. vicki says:

pretty spry for an old guy.

67. vicki says:

come on, raul.

68. vicki says:

kershaw’s cg in the bag.

69. Winter says:

Ugh. Leave it to this lineup to make Clayton fucking Kershaw look like a Cy Young candidate. Who even is this guy?

/s (in case it wasn’t obvious)

70. TJF says:

This looks like another hope crushing loss in the making

71. Wheels says:

Good job Vern

72. forensic says:

Nice baserunning, Gonzalez. We appreciate the free out.

73. Jacob the OG says:

Someone should GIF Stewie trying to tag out Hanley there.

74. Nick says:

i saw some phillies fans saying that Amaro was right to not trade Young & Ruiz because Cashman should have offered better prospects. I guess getting nothing was preferable somehow?

75. Tom says:

If Kuroda was truly an ace and wanted to win this game, he would have figured out a way to put up a -1 one of these innings.

76. Kramerica Industries says:

Fucking Red Sox.

77. Harris says:

When Lillibridge is going to get out anyway, can he please not swing at the first pitch…

78. vicki says:

stephen drew.

79. forensic says:

WOOHOO! A ball to the OF. Their first one since the 5th inning.

80. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Might want to swing the bat, Brett.

81. Tom says:

2 hits?

The opposing pitcher throwing more than 10 pitches in an inning?

Might as well continue this madness and score a run!

82. mt says:

Another 7 innings, O run performance for Kuroda without a victory – sigh!

At least Yanks still have a shot at winning.

83. Gardnersbat says:

Please swing me

84. Cy Pettitte says:

Kuroda’s gotta be so sick of this shit

• BK2ATL says:

Yeah, but the same shit happened to him when he played for the Dodgers as well. No run support. Can’t pitch any better than he has tonight.

We gotta bring him back next year though. Hopefully, he’s receptive to it after this debacle of a year so far.

• BrienTaylorsRookieCard says:

I’m so sick of this shit and I haven’t so much as left my chair in hours – I can only imagine how upset he must be after all his effort.

85. BrienTaylorsRookieCard says:

Alright now let’s blow this one for Hirok!

86. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

I’m really just waiting for when, not if, the Dodgers score. And the Yankees won’t.

Ho-hum. I really only barely care at this point.

87. forensic says:

Sigh, really couldn’t expect three straight hits against Kershaw anyway.

88. Kramerica Industries says:

The Red Sox have ten walk-off wins. Indians have nine. Rangers have three in the past three nights.

It’s pretty fucking hard to keep up when there are teams in front that have had so much fortune this season. Ten walk-off wins before August is effing absurd.

• BigBlueAL says:

How many did the 2009 Yankees have before August?? They finished with 18 I believe.

• Gardnersbat says:

Pies for everyone

• Kramerica Industries says:

Quick little guessing (I had this list down pat before, but 2009 was quite some time ago now)

Late April against Anaheim
        Walk-off weekend vs. Minnesota
        4th of July vs. Toronto
        Second series post-ASB vs. Baltimore
        Melky 15 inning against Oakland
        Castillo dropped popup
        ARod walk off against Lidge

That has to be the extent, since two of the walk-offs against Toronto, the Boston walk-off, the Kansas City walk-off, and the Chicago walk-off all came after this point.

89. Gardnersbat says:

With an offense Kuroda is 16 and 1 right now

90. Winter says:

Honestly, I can’t blame Gardner there. Kershaw’s probably the toughest pitcher in the world for a lefty can face

91. Andy says:

I’m at the game. Must avoid heart attack.

92. Wheels says:

Kershaw is done for the night.

93. Mark says:

Where is Robertson?

94. Cy Pettitte says:

good fucking job Boone, now Kershaw is staying in.

95. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Pastadiving Jeter live quote!

Ah, how I missed that.

96. Anonymous says:

Nope

97. BigBlueAL says:

Joba really has fallen down the totem pole. Good thing they didnt trade him since he is such an integral part of the bullpen.

• Winter says:

Yeah, I’m sure there was a great offer sitting on the table and the Yankees just ignored it.

/s

• BigBlueAL says:

There is no great offer for Joba, you take anything you can get for him. I understand keeping Hughes since he is still part of the rotation and the Yankees probably plan on offering him arbitration in the off-season but that isnt happening with Joba so whats the point of holding on to him if right now he is the 5th RHP out of the pen??

• BK2ATL says:

Nobody wants him, not even the Yanks anymore. He’s been so bad he doesn’t even have minimal trade value. If Hughes can’t draw interest, you think Joba will? Move on. Both the Yanks and Joba blew it. Montgomery, Betances, etc, up next.

98. forensic says:

NL baseball, where you leave the pitcher in instead of using a real batter so you can more effectively give away an out.

Hate this league.

99. Charles says:

Why no Robertson? Back to back days after only throwing 9 pitches last night? I have a feeling of a repeat of last night…

100. Tom says:

If I’m counting right that’s 12 starts of 7+innings, 2 runs or less this year for Kuroda. That’s more than half his starts.

He’s given up 2ER in July, one of which was on a wild pitch (33innings)

101. Gardnersbat says:

Way to go Girardi bring in a lefty to get a righty…gives up a hit and now kershaw back in game. Brilliant!

102. Wheels says:

I spoke too soon, they let him bat after all. Still in the game

103. acb says:

if only Giardi didn’t use Robertson for two innings last night otherwise he would be in there pitching right now………

104. Tom says:

So Logan was brought in because the 3rd guy due up hits left handed?

Seems like he could have waited for a lefty to actually bat before bringing in Logan.

105. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Think this is the moment? I’m saying yes.

106. Kramerica Industries says:

Really hate this move.

107. Cy Pettitte says:

this should work out well

108. BigBlueAL says:

With the way Puig swings at everything Kelley would probably K him on 3 sliders in the dirt. Or he would hang one and Puig crushes it lol.

109. Wheels says:

Get this mofo out.

110. Gardnersbat says:

This still feels like bad things are about to happen

111. Anderson Silva says:

better to be lucky than good, right?

112. Jigga says:

They got through the inning, but where was Robertson?
    Yanks had Monday off, he only threw 9 pitches yesterday, and they have tomorrow off. If they lost it because of the 8th, Girardi would have gotten destroyed

• Cy Pettitte says:

he pitched the 27th, 28th and 30th. I don’t think Joe wants to use him 4 out of 5 days

• Jigga says:

Ah I see, thanks. That’s right, he doesn’t like 3 days in a row and doesn’t like 4 out of 5. But there are times you gotta break the rules.

113. Jack P says:

I thought that was gone fo sure

114. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Cool. Girardi is one lucky son of a bitch.

But we can’t blame him at all, because he used LOGIC.

Sincerely,

Greg

115. BK2ATL says:

Logan move scared us all, but worked out in the end…. LOL!!!

So now, is Girardi a genius or freaking lucky?

116. CashmanSuxShit says:

What’s with all the angst over these Girardi decisions.

We all should know by now this dogshit roster of Cashman’s ain’t scoring tonight. It’s just a matter of how long it takes the Dodgers to score 1 run. If it happens in the 9th, they’ll win in the 9th… If it happens in the 15th, they’ll win then.

117. forensic says:

According to Scully, Gonzalez’ 35 AB’s with RISP and 2 outs were more important to consider in that situation than his 132 AB’s vs. lefties (or his nearly 1600 career AB’s vs. lefties).

118. BigBlueAL says:

Regardless if the Yankees score or not the pitcher in the bottom of the 9th better be either DRob or Mo.

• CashmanSuxShit says:

That’s just stupid. Robertson isn’t available an nobody in their right mind pitches Rivera in a tie game, unless ur willing to go two innings with him, which I doubt!

119. Winter says:

Clayton Kershaw could pitch 11 innings tonight. I wish I was kidding.

120. mt says:

Logan retires lefties Crawford and Gonzalez – a miracle.

However, we will probably still see Kershaw unfortunately.

• mt says:

NOT – I don’t understand this – why have kershaw bunt in 8th if you are not letting him stay on – yes, you save hairston as a pinchhitter and Kershaw is a better bunter than hairston (???) but he could easily go another inning.

• BK2ATL says:

He’s a good enough bunter where you don’t have to waste a PH/PR to do the same thing in a tied game. It worked out.

121. Not Kershaw. Ronald Belisario.

122. Winter says:

Why would they take out Kershaw? I feel like we’re catching a break here.

123. Conor in China says:

Just watching GameCast, any reason for Kershaw coming out? Did he get hurt running to first?

• Winter says:

No reason that I could see, the whole thing was weird. If they were planning on taking Kershaw out anyway, why not PH for him? They had a PH in the on deck circle, but pulled him back to have Kershaw bunt. Just strange.

124. Mark says:

Why would Mattingly not let Hairston hit for Kershaw??? Thanks for the out Donnie.

125. Kramerica Industries says:

Holy shit.

Can’t remember the last Yankee walk.

126. mt says:

Belisario is good but I am sure every member of Yankees, even the righty batters, would prefer to see Belisario over a tired, ninth inning Kershaw.

127. Tom says:

Wait, why isn’t Kershaw pitching?

Thanks Donnie.

128. Anderson Silva says:

Cano with yet another terrible AB.

129. BigBlueAL says:

Really is amazing how freaking streaky Cano is. Was on fire before the All-Star break and ripped in Fenway but since then cant buy a freaking hit.

• handtius says:

yeah, those two line drives that were caught were all his fault.

• BigBlueAL says:

Cano has 2 extra base hits since the All-Star break and last hit a HR on July 10th. He is 5 for his last 33. As I said he cant buy a freaking hit right now.

• BigBlueAL says:

BTW Im a HUGE Cano fan. Unlike many here I didnt want him traded and believe it is vital the Yankees re-sign him.

• handtius says:

From what I’ve been seeing, he’s been having a lot of hits stolen. Also, when you hit around 300 every year, you’re not that streaky. you may go into short slumps, but they’re not extended.

I’m a Cano fan too, but am split on keeping vs. trading. Depends on how much I believe they’ll compete going forward after this year.

• BigBlueAL says:

They arent going to be doing much competing next couple of years w/o Cano. Although I guess if they dont re-sign him and Arod is suspended next season they will have a shitload of money to spend even with the 189m plan but again who would you spend it on when Cano would by far be the best available FA??

130. mt says:

See – Cano runs when he needs to :-)

131. handtius says:

cano never busts it down the line! waaah trade him. shut yo mouth.

132. CashmanSuxShit says:

Add breaking up a double play to the endless list of the things Brian Cashman’s Cliff Lee deal-breaker cannot do.

What a pathetic slide by Nunez. It’s as if he was TRYING to avoid Ellis.

133. Cy Pettitte says:

can Ichiro be an IcHERO?

134. BigBlueAL says:

Gonna be up to Overbay.

135. Winter says:

With a lefty in the ‘pen? I’m not so sure about this…

136. Wheels says:

Let’s do it Overbay.

137. Tom says:

So would you rather have Wells or Lilibridge hitting?

as bad as Wells is I think I would prefer him swinging.

138. Winter says:

I’m not sure I understand why Girardi sent Overbay up. He knows Mattingly is gonna go with the lefty, and I’d rather have Lillibridge vs RHP than Overbay vs LHP.

139. Anderson Silva says:

Overbay against a lefty = easy out

140. mt says:

Is this crazy but shouldn’t Overbay have come up first (probably waqlked) and then Ichiro – if Mattingly still put in Rodriguez, not a s bad becasue Ichiro does pretty well against lefties. Now we end up with Overbay against a lefty (the situation we wanted to avoid – that’s why Lillibridge was starting in first place) who struggles.

On other hand, Overbay has had several key RBI late in games – fingers crossed.

• Tom says:

I was thinking that too… but he could have brought in the lefty to face Overbay (and you are left with Ichiro on deck)

The outcome seems like it was going to be Wells vs a right or Overbay against a lefty no matter what.

141. Wheels says:

Loverbay! fuckin A!

142. Winter says:

Girardi should have left Lillibridge up there just so we wouldn’t have to watch this stupid delivery.

143. Kramerica Industries says:

LOVERBAY!!

144. Mark says:

Overbay Delivas!!!

145. Jigga says:

Overbay is clutch!!!!

146. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Overbay proving me wrong.

See, this is why I don’t make hat eating bets unless I’m REALLY sure.

147. SDB says:

LOVERBAY!!!!!!!!!!

148. Cy Pettitte says:

holy shit!!! didn’t expect that at all

149. Anderson Silva says:

MIRACLE!

150. BigBlueAL says:

Overbay!!

151. Gardnersbat says:

No fucking way

152. vicki says:

loverbay.

man’s got a knack.

• Elton Cod says:

He sure does.

What can I say, I like the guy. He’s not an all-star talent but it’s what he does with his talent that matters. He has shown time and time again that he delivers when it matters. He’s like the anti-Cano.

I hope they sign him next year. I like him better than Tex, to be honest. Not as much of a choker. And besides, Tex is due to get injured again in mid-June.

153. dontchaknow says:

ye

154. forensic says:

Atta boy Overbay!

155. Anderson Silva says:

we could really use another run here.. comon nix

156. Tom says:

Girardi is a genius!

(Looks past the whole Donnie being an idiot and taking Kershaw out)

157. Winter says:

Yes. Now is a good time for a “Yankees suck” chant.

158. WhittakerWalt says:

Dodgers fans with the “Yankees suck” chant. When did they turn into such scumbags?

159. Kramerica Industries says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

160. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Well, this was a fun inning.

161. Captain Turbo says:

LOL… nice fielding!

162. forensic says:

LMAO!!!!!

Thank you Puig and Ellis!

163. Cy Pettitte says:

ahahahaha wow

164. Wheels says:

Yes! haha

165. Anderson Silva says:

LOL I’ll take it!

166. Gonzo says:

Fast forward 10 years.

And that’s why you’re named Hiroki son.

167. dontchaknow says:

i lol’d

168. Winter says:

SHADES OF LUIS CASTILLO!

169. Alright who put Luis Castillo at 2nd base?!

170. BigBlueAL says:

Ellis is no Luis Castillo.

171. SDB says:

sprayed my keyboard laughing.

fucking hilarious.

172. Gardnersbat says:

In a year of improbables, the impossible has just happened

173. nsalem says:

castillo par deux

174. BK2ATL says:

I’ll take the runs, but that’s not Puig’s fault. Ellis is backing up to medium RF. Puig was under the ball.

No matter, 3-0 Yanks.

175. NeilT says:

I’m waiting for them to pull up the replays from 2009….

176. fabricio says:

yes!!! thank the lord our ace pitched great and while he wont get the win it looks like we’re gonna take this game

177. Gonzo says:

HIROK can beat anyone!!!

178. forensic says:

Mattingly’s a little cranky now, I guess.

179. Wheels says:

Nix still sucks.

180. Winter says:

Sabathia on deck? Stewart needs to get a hit here.

181. Gonzo says:

Brandon League is the white flag!

182. Damn it Stewart. I just wanted to see CC get his 1st major league pinch hitting at bat?

183. nsalem says:

Hanley facing Mariano for the first time.

184. Kramerica Industries says:

MO

185. Harris says:

Not sure why Vernon started over Ichiro tonight. Ichiro’s splits against lefties are much better than Vernon’s are. Not to mention Vernon hasn’t hit a homer since ‘Nam. Otherwise a very well managed game by Girardi. Too bad CC didn’t get to pinch hit though…

186. forensic says:

Nice swing Hanley.

187. WhittakerWalt says:

“Basically he’s better than he ever was.”

Sterling’s description of Mo. So, really? Mo’s better this year than he was in 2008 when he had a 316 ERA+ and a .665 WHIP?
    Not that I expect Papa Yank to know what any of that means.

• vicki says:

know what’s impressive about this year though? .321 babip (career .264; .218 in 2008). it’s mostly righties with good contact on the sinker. but he’s still GETTING IT DONE.

188. forensic says:

That was pretty easy for Mo…

189. SDB says:

Even by Mo’s standards, he’s looking unhittable right now.

190. Wheels says:

nice win.

191. Gardnersbat says:

Nice win

192. BigBlueAL says:

Dunno what is more remarkable, what Kuroda is doing this season at 38 yo or Mo at 43 yo. Both are amazing.

193. dkidd says:

total domination

194. vicki says:

just tremendous, gents. and with a merciful day-off to savor it.

195. Tom says:

Mo…

‘Nuff said.

196. mt says:

Mike Axisa,

I know earlier in year this was true but wonder if it still is true. Given Yanks’ mediocre record and poor run differential, we actually have a great record for some reason in games started by Cy Young Award winners (know we beat Verlander, Dickey, and Price, I believe, and won games started by Felix and now Kershaw)- do you know what that record now is?

197. Gonzo says:

That was good.

198. jedua says:

acording to @Enrique_Rojas1 there will be a 100 game suspension to A-rod.

Con 100 juegos, MLB mandará mensaje que quiere y evita arbitraje que NO HAY FORMA DE GANAR. A-Rod volvería en junio ´14

With 100 games, MLB will send a message, that it wants to avoid the arbiter. THE IS NO WAY OF WINNING. A-Rod will return in June ’14

i really don’t trust Enrique Rojas in fact i dislike him very much but he is the first one with this information