That had a chance to be the best win of the season, but instead it was just another frustrating loss in a year full of them. The Yankees battled back from a four-run deficit (miracle!) and watched their bullpen hang tight for more than five innings, but that still wasn’t enough. Mike Napoli’s walk-off blast sends the Yankees out of town on the heels of an 8-7, 11th inning loss. Some quick notes:
- At least Mariano Rivera will be nice and fresh for Monday. Adam Warren has been awesome as the long man, but he had no business facing Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, and Napoli in extra innings. White flag.
- The Red Sox hit three homers, the same number the Yankees have hit in their last nine games. All three were bombs too. They each traveled farther than any two of New York’s hits out together. Maybe even three hits put together. The
BombersSinglers had 13 hits but none for extra-bases.
- At -.580 WPA, Lyle Overbay had the worst game by a position player this season. That’s all of baseball, not just the Yankees. Eight outs in six at-bats will do that. Neil Walker now has the second worst game (-0.555 back in April).
- CC Sabathia has to be better. Whenever he stunk in the past, he usually kept the Yankees in the game. That’s part of why he was so great; even his bad starts were still pretty good. These days he’s just non-competitive. It’s a miracle he got a no decision.
- Brett Gardner became the first Yankees center fielder to reach base five times in Fenway Park since Mickey Mantle. Robinson Cano and Eduardo Nunez had three hits apiece as well. The Yankees drew seven walks as a team. Twenty-one base-runners and seven runs in 11 innings still wasn’t enough.
- The Yankees are now 35-2 when scoring five runs or more in 2013. Hooray?
MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees are six back of the Red Sox in the AL East and three back of the Orioles for the second wildcard spot, both in the loss column. Management seems very content to let this team fade completely out of the race before getting help. Yu Darvish and Ivan Nova (fun!) will be your pitching matchup in Texas on Monday night.