Jul

Severino continues to impress as GCL teams square off

OF Tyler Austin has been placed on the Double-A Trenton DL with a right wrist injury. He has had some wrist issues in the past, though I’m not sure if it’s the same one. Josh Norris says Austin is wearing a brace and x-rays show no structural damage. He’ll have an MRI soon.

Double-A Trenton (6-3 loss to Reading)

Rookie GCL Yanks1 (5-2 loss to GCL Yanks2) going to combine the two together into one update because it really doesn’t matter who played for which side

• 2B Bryan Cuevas: 3-5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 CS, 1 E (fielding)
  • SS Thairo Estrada: 1-5, 1 R, 3 K
  • C Luis Torrens: 1-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 PB — eight walks and six strikeouts in his last seven games
  • LF Nathan Mikolas: 0-4, 2 K
  • SS Abi Avelino: 0-4, 1 BB — only four strikeouts in 41 plate appearances (9.8%)
  • 2B Gosuke Katoh: 0-2, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K — eleven walks and ten strikeouts in 16 games
  • LF Ronnie Mustelier: 3-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 E (fielding) — played the entire game in the field as he rehabs from two groin strains … must be fielding good if he stole a base
  • RF Austin Aune: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K– 6-for-37 (.162) with one walk and 21 strikeouts … gadzooks
  • DH Tyler Wade: 0-4, 2 K
  • RHP Joey Maher: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 6/0 GB/FB
  • RHP Dayton Dawe: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GB/FB
  • SwP Pat Venditte: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GB/FB
  • RHP Luis Severino: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 9/1 GB/FB — 27/6 K/BB and 27/10 K/BB in 21.1 innings

Triple-A Scranton, High-A Tampa, Low-A Charleston, and Short Season Staten Island all had scheduled off-days. They do this every year on the day of the MLB All-Star Game.

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. forensic says:

Rookie GCL Yanks1 (5-2 loss to GCL Yanks1) going to combine the two together into one update because it really doesn’t matter who played for which side

It especially doesn’t matter since GCL Yanks1 lost to GCL Yanks1. ;-)

Really sucks what happened to Mustelier this year with the injuries. Seems like he would’ve had a shot to really play if not them for. Have to think he would’ve been better than NixNelsonAdamsCruzGonzalezNeal.

Nunez also missed a similar opportunity.

Quite a season.

2. Tom says:

Keith Law is such an idiot.. he was talking about bat speed and Austin’s swing being a mess and wondering if he was injured not all that long ago. Clearly he was overreacting and making snap judgments on a handful of AB’s, and perhaps (ridiculously) using BP as well to judge the swing.

What a dumbass, people just dismiss everything he says; especially if it is something perceived as negative about a Yankees prospect.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

So is this our Keith Law nagging Tyler Austin injury?

• LK says:

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Keith Law knows more about these prospects than all of us who check the box scores 3 times a week.

This is one of those cases where an injury might be good news as it explains a mediocre performance.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hey now. I check the box score at least four times a week.

• Mac says:

I don’t think anyone actually said any differently. If you go back and actually read those comments, I believe you will find they were telling a cliff jumper that Law’s prognoses based on one game was not a definitive declaration on those players’ futures. Not that Austin wasn’t injured.

I know subtlety is lost on a lot of people, but when you mock people because you don’t understand what they are saying it only reflects poorly on yourself.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Obviously not. Keith Law is just a hack who doesn’t know anything about anybody, since he only watches 4 at bats.

You “regulars” and your false sense of superiority! It makes me sick!1!oneUno!!

• Mac says:

Knocking down strawmen is fun when you are too weak to actually confront real men.

No one was arguing what you say they were. You overreacted to what you thought they were saying. Not what anyone actually said.

4. pat says:

IIRC Ty Austin broke his wrist on a HBP in one of the first games of his career.

5. Austin Tyler Austin says:

With Austin getting hurt today, Austin continuing to suck, Austin getting limited at bats and Tyler getting 2 K’s, it really was not a good day.

6. CONservative governMENt says:

Bleich might join Betances as a salvaged bullpen guy.

Hughes for Joc Pederson – do you make the trade?

• The Lime says:

Yes. LAD seems like a logical trade partner, but I’m not sure if Hughes would be enough to get it done. Hughes seems like he’d be a great fit for them (and their stadium), they could absorb the $$$, but Pederson’s prospect status has gone up quite a bit…which might bring up the question, who else in the LAD organization should the team target?

• Dicka24 says:

I’ve been talking up this exact same deal with people. I think the framework could certainly work. Hughes helps them, helps himself in that NL park, and the Yankees get a bonafied prospect in return. Maybe other players have to be involved, but I think it could work.

7. Shittyshittybangbang says:

Gotta believe one of our multiple milb catching prospects will be an above average m. l.’er. For no reason, but gut tells me torrens. Maybe his new-ness. But com’on, one of these guys has to “catch-on” nicely. Who do you guys think will be the best of the lot ?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Your gut tells you that the 17 year-old in Rookie ball is going to be better than the guy hitting well in AAA and the consensus Top 50 prospect in High-A. OK.

I still go with Sanchez, but I certainly couldn’t blame anyone who picked Murphy at this point.

• Shittyshittybangbang says:

Ah tilapia, mr. contrarian and intelligencia. I prefaced my comment by stating the abundance of good milb catching prospects, and furthermore explaining possibly why torrens prospect sheen could be a factor, as well as saying that there really wasn’t anything concrete for my feeling. Unscientific. But yes, your point/s are certainly valid. Murphy is obviously the closest to m.l. Do you see murphy’s defense improved ? Is murphy offensively more advanced than romine ?

8. Chris says:

Does anyone else think the Yankees should take more chances on their lower level prospects? Having them “mature and not ruin their development” has not been overly successful in recent years. Looking at the current roster, Gardner, Cano and…….
    I would like to see them take more chances on guys like Almonte and the likes. I love reading “Player X has come down to earth since first coming up”. Looking at the production from Catcher, SS, 3rd and outfield and think, it can’t be that much worse to get a look at a few more guys while our “Superstars” are hurt.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s still a balance. You’re not going to throw a guy out there who’s obviously still learning how to hit a AA curveball just because.

It’s taken a while for the franchise to catch up on position player prospects. It was slim pickings as recently as a few years ago. I wouldn’t describe it as that now. Let’s let these guys do what they need to do.

• Mac says:

I’m not really following. Lets talk specifics: who do you want them to play that they aren’t?

They’ve been playing the only MLB ready prospects that they have at all the positions you mentioned. Romine at C, Nunez at SS (not really a prospect any more, I know, but a young player and there’s not really anyone behind him), Adams at 3B, and Almonte at LF. They also brought up Corban Joseph briefly before he got hurt. (Mustelier and Garcia have been hurt and are just getting back now, if they’re MLB ready prospects.) They’ve also used various Ps in different roles.

Who else do you want them to play right now and for the last several years?

• Chri says:

It was more of a question of moving forward. If they are truly looking at getting under their self-imposed cap, they have to take some chances. You are correct they have toyed around with a few different guys and had some success. I just look at the money we have locked up on our position players and there is not going to be a huge free agent coming to save us if they are going to to stay at 189ish.

• Mac says:

I don’t know that they actually will get under 189 (have stated the whole time that it’s contingent upon contending). I think that it made some sense while their vets were still productive and their young guys had the possibility of being fairly serious contributors by 2014. That’s not really looking like the case right now, though it could change by the end of the season.

My question, though, is who do you want to get a chance moving forward? And how do you think that differs from what they have been doing this season (and previously)?

There are a few bullets left who might be able to contribute in MLB (Fernando Martinez, Mustelier, Garcia, Lillibridge… though only two of them really have a claim to being prospects and they’ve been hurt), but largely they’ve been marching anyone with a shot at hitting MLB Ps out there. I can’t think of many guys under 29 who have been healthy and productive in AAA who haven’t been called on. Even Thomas Neal got a brief cameo.
          The other guys I can think of are largely top prospects who don’t really fit your description, and haven’t really shown anything that would make anyone believe they are MLB ready (with the possible exception of Murphy).

In previous seasons they haven’t had as much of a need at the MLB level, but I can’t think of any truly deserving position players who were just not given a shot. The guys who people complained about have largely been unsuccessful elsewhere (Laird, Miranda, JoVa, Dickerson). Maxwell hit well last season, but has been awful this season. I think it’s fair to conclude the Yankees looked at these guys as AAAA players and were largely correct in their assessment.

While I can sort of see an argument that a young guy at least has more upside than a journeyman, if the young guy isn’t expected to outplay the journeyman in the near future I don’t really see calling him up.

• Chris says:

Mac, you are hitting on my points as well as calling me to the mat! You hit it correctly on the ones they should give a shot to. The rest are prospects that are in A and AA. Now we are hearing Murphy is being offered in trade talks. I am just tired of seeing Yankee hitting prospects being called up at 24, 25 years old.

• Shittyshittybangbang says:

Isn’t Gardner our last milb position m.l. regular ? Been a minute. Maybe murphy over romine in second half ?

• Mac says:

In fairness they have, since Gardner, brought AJax and Montero to the cusp of MLB before moving them as fairly valuable trade pieces.

9. nycsportzfan says:

Slade has found a nice groove.

10. CONservative governMENt says:

Prospects should move up as soon as their ready. But not sooner.

• CS Yankee says:

Prospects should hurry every chance they get.

• Chris says:

I agree, I also live in the Bay Area where the A’s and to some extent the Giants have major success with getting guys ready far sooner than the Yankees. Now, the A’s also have more to work with by trading a star for 4-5 players, but Beane has been excellent doing this for some time. I would just like to see the Yankees develop their players quicker.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Beane also took a lot of college guys. So if your point is that Peter O’Brien should have started the year in Tampa (and, presumably, be in Trenton by now) maybe – and it may be true of Jagiello and Judge next year. But it is not a given that guys like Mason Williams or Tyler Austin would have moved through the A’s system faster than they have through the Yankees system.

• Mac says:

I think that’s a little dubious. As pointed out above, you’re referring to a lot of NCAA guys. And also some top picks. Or a guy like Yoenis who is a veteran.

I’m not sure the As actually bring guys up that quickly. In fact, I don’t think they have a single position player who matches that description. Choice is 23, a top pick, and has moved deliberately level to level. Chris Carter was a fairly well regarded prospect in AAA for 3 years. Taylor is in his 5th year in AAA. Donaldson had a deliberate march through the system and came up relatively late. Norris mostly moved level to level. Grant Green moved level to level year to year.

Fast movers for the Giants were mostly college guys (Posey who was also a really high pick, Belt, Crawford). Sandoval skipped AAA, but that was years ago. Around the same time the Yankees were pretty aggressive with guys like Melky and Cervelli.

Whether it’s justified or not, a lot of the criticism of the Yankees player development is actually centered around bringing up Ps too quickly. Guys like Hughes, Joba, IPK, Jose Ramirez, Melancon, Robertson, Montgomery. In terms of position players, they have a bunch of the youngest players at their levels most years. They’ve been pretty aggressive promoting top prospects. You just can’t force someone into an MLB role who is no where near ready/adequate.

• Chris says:

Excellent points Mac. I too believe you can’t “rush” players to the show just for the sake of getting them there. It is just frustrating that we don’t really have one top tier position prospect due up in the next two years. We have a few maybes, but no one is really knocking the cover off of the ball that I see. That goes back to my original suggestion of taking a chance once in a while to see if you can find something. Are MLB players really that fragile that they can’t take being sent down a time or two?

11. dick m says:

They haven’t exqctly played romine. He gets like 5 ABs a week.

12. Bryan says:

If they could trade Hughes and a decent prospect like Flores for Joc I would do it in a heartbeat.

Not going to happen though.