Jul

Steve Delabar beats out David Robertson for final All-Star spot

Blue Jays right-hander Steve Delabar beat out David Robertson in the AL All-Star Final Vote, the league announced. It would have been cool to see Robertson become a two-time All-Star, but I’m totally cool with him getting four days of rest next week given that he’s on pace for a career-high workload. Robinson Cano and Mariano Rivera are the Yankees only two All-Stars this season.

Categories : All Star Game, Asides

1. trr says:

Not an All Star fan, would rather see no Yankees there, and yes I’m as serious as a heart attack

2. Ethan says:

Here’s a really cool map by mlb.com about how the country voted in the final vote:

• Pat D says:

Quite interesting. Glad that my county went 61% for DRob.

• HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Awesome. But do the southern states hate the yankees so much that they had to vote for Delabar?

• Ethan says:

Delabar is having a really good year to be fair.

• HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

I will be 100% honest and say I hadn’t even heard of him/recall him pitching against us. Brett Cecil I knew was having a good year, though.

• forensic says:

I’d also like to say that my county went for Robertson too.

It’s interesting looking at his numbers in NY though. The closer to NYC you get he gets plenty, but up north and west he starts to lose votes to Delabar since it’s closer to Canada. I don’t know what the final totals were, but I wonder if that cost him.

Either way though, it’s nice that he gets a few days off leading into what may be a rough series in Fenway right after the break.

• RetroRob says:

I have not been able to find total votes anywhere. How close was D-Rob, or any of the other candidates? I don’t understand why they don’t show these numbers. Just saying who won is blah. That map was interesting, but beyond percentages by county, I can’t find overall percentages, or total votes. Am I missing it?

3. Pat D says:

The Yankees are obviously not the best team this year, but the fact that Toronto has 4 All-Stars and the Yankees have 2 is a bit ridiculous. Especially when the Twins, Royals, White Sox (technically) and Mariners also have 2.

Then again, the A’s only have 1, so…

4. Pseudoyanks says:

Meh.
    (But don’t blame me, I voted DRob.)

5. Get Phelps Up says:

So that’s where TomH has been all week…

Also I see 2 starters scheduled to pitch on Sunday so hopefully Hirok can sneak his way on.