Jul

Yankees claim Travis Ishikawa off waivers from Orioles

The Yankees have claimed first baseman Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Orioles, the team announced. I assume he’ll join the big league team to give Lyle Overbay a proper backup and Joe Girardi a left-handed bat off the bench. Kevin Youkilis was transferred to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man roster spot. I’m guessing David Adams will go back to Triple-A to clear a 25-man roster spot.

Ishikawa, 29, went 2-for-17 (.118) for Baltimore earlier this year. They called him up after he exercised an opt-out clause in his minor league contract. Ishikawa hit .316/.413/.525 (156 wRC+) in 208 Triple-A plate appearances this year, including a .331/.434/.568 line against righties. He’s a career .260/.324/.399 (93 wRC+) hitter in 857 big league plate appearances, which is broken down into .262/.330/.409 (97 wRC+) against right-handers and .244/.281/.322 (61 wRC+) against lefties. Ishikawa is out of options and can not be sent to the minors without first passing through waivers. Finally, a usable bench bat.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Lefty hitter doesn’t seem to be an ideal backup to Overbay.

• Bronx Bombers23 says:

I was thinking the same thing. Another lefty bat when we really need a right-handed platoon partner for Overbay. He is younger than Overbay, but Overbay has started hitting again.

• trr says:

My thought exactly

2. A.D. says:

Why? Seems like move for the sake of it

3. timhands says:

So long as Michael Young is not out of the picture… To me, that is one potential acquisition I would like to see the most. Makes so much sense and he would fit in well, if you care about such things, and I do.

4. Get Phelps Up says:

You’re really going to have to be a die-hard to get 100% on the 2013 Yankees Sporcle quiz.

I guess a lefty bat off the bench is more valuable than Adams or AG.

5. mt says:

Not ideal – it would be ideal to get have a righty to spell Overbay against lefties – but we have a lot of players that need to be pinchhit for against a tough righty (Cruz, Gonzalez, Stewart, Romine, Wells to some extent) and we just sometimes need to sit Overbay against the exhaustion factor of playing every single day.

6. Pseudoyanks says:

This team is going to need to order about 150 W.S. rings in October.

7. Matt DiBari says:

I feel like “usable” is being kind.

• Bronx Bombers23 says:

This.

Looks like more sloppy seconds that some other team got tired of to me. Our roster is littered with these types.

• OhioYanks says:

The last man on most benches fits that description. Maybe the Yankees like him enough to replace Overbay, but I have to imagine this is a marginal addition at the end of the roster who is probably around a few weeks.

There are also guys who fit that description and work out. Teams aren’t always right, Yankees and other teams.

8. Nick says:

It’s an incremental move for now, it’s a better option than what they currently have and he will probably be here till something better comes along, my guess next with be Eric Hinske coming back because he was just DFA’d (which I would love to see personally btw) and then maybe something will happen at the deadline or during the aug waiver period. Cashman has said all along it’s about not over reacting and making moves that work in the moment which I agree with personally.

9. FLYER7 says:

The 40th player will be a constant rotation of DFA candidates…btw I’d DFA Gonzales instead of sending Adams down…why have 3 shortstops, two who cant hit? Yet this was a team that carried just 3 bench players for awhile

• OhioYanks says:

Which two can’t hit? I count 3. Nix is the best career hitter among them.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I think he’s referring to the 3 currently active SS’s. Nunez, Cruz, and Almonte.
        Nunez is the best career hitter of the 4, though saying he can hit is questionable.

10. Magilla Gorilla says:

Still no move on the 25 man roster. I guess that they don’t do that until before game time tomorrow.

11. yooboo says:

Cashman wants lefty for home run purpose? Hafner and Overbay have worn out already so that may be a reason. Whatever!

12. Jersey Joe says:

I really like this move. He was hitting well in AAA and I would not really care if Overbay was DFA’d. He has really cooled off since May, even if he seems to be hitting well right now. I’ve always liked Travis and it would be great to see him starting and maybe find his swing in YS3.