Aug

Thursday Night Open Thread

The best thing about off-days is they give me a chance to get some other stuff done. Believe it or not, RAB can feel like a 9-to-5 job at times. Earlier today I was cleaning out some bookmarks and stumbled across that video of ESPN’s E:60 feature on Mariano Rivera‘s from May. Apparently I never bothered to post it. So, yeah, here it is. They look at Rivera’s upbringing and all sorts of other stuff. Check it out.

Once you’re done with that, use this as your open thread for the night. MLB Network is showing the Orioles at the Red Sox (Tillman vs. Lester), a game that will impact the Yankees’ already small postseason chances. There’s also a full slate of NFL preseason games. You folks know how these things work by now, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pseudoyanks says:

At least it’s not a minimum wage job too.

2. Kramerica Industries says:

(the Yankees taking care of business implied here)

gotta root for the A’s to sweep the Rays this weekend, no? Gotta root for a sweep either way, might as well be the team where head-to-heads still remain, I would guess.

• nsalem says:

Correct. We can control our fate against Tampa. 20 of 23 of Oakland’s final games are against teams who’s WP are of today below .455

• trr says:

Yeah…I’m a little down after the road trip I was actually thinking we has a chance, ok, a small chance, to get back into this thing. Now I don’t think we’re gonna make it. I’m thinking 85 – 87 wins, and that just won’t be enough

3. OldYanksFan says:

I just saw this and had to post it because frankly, it’s kinda stunning.

“According to two historical play-by-play-based systems, Baseball Prospectus’s Fielding Runs Above Average and Baseball-Reference’s Total Zone, Jeter has cost his team more in the field than any other player in history, with both methods assessing the damage at 230 to 260 runs.”

As they mention, Jeter is an all-time leader in games played at SS, but still….. Holy Shit!

• nsalem says:

The Pitchers with the most career losses (Young) most career blown saves (Gossge) most walks (Ryan) are all in the HOF. The 5 pitchers who have given up the most walks (Ryan, Carlton, Feller, Wynn and Niekro) are all in the HOF. Player who has K’d the most (Reggie Jackson) also in the Hall of Fame.

• Laz says:

Takes a certain kind of greatness to get the most all time of something. Most losses is Cy Young isn’t it? I’m not saying he is great defensively, but SS has many more chances to cost his team.

• forensic says:

pastastatuesquejeter

• Captain Turbo says:

I don’t know, I’ve never thought Jeter was that bad on defense. Defensive metrics seem to be at best an inexact science.

4. OldYanksFan says:

Because of both health and decline issues, the Yanks have picked a new 1Bman and 3 SS prospects.

5. Tim B says:

Why was Dan Johnson released? Couldn’t he be a good September call up even though he would need a 40 man roster spot? He was hitting real well. He would be good as a DH or 1Bman.

6. b-rar says:

To me, the best thing about off-days is not having to watch Chris Stewart catch in the Major Leagues.

7. Tom says:

I many ways the Yankees control their playoffs hopes because they play Tampa and Baltimore 6 more times each.

I would love to see Tampa Get Swept because we play Tampa head to head. The only pesk is Cleveland but Detroit will take care of them this weekend. If the Yankees can get ahead of the O’s and Tribe by next week then they have a shot

• nsalem says:

Not to mention 7 games against the Red Sox. We must really kick ass in our 12 games vs Jays/WhiteSox/Astros/Giants.

• ropeadope says:

Seven against the Orioles and three versus the Rays. Nevertheless, your point stands. If the Yankees take care of business*, they have a solid shot.

* A little help from the A’s, Angels, and Mariners on the Rays ten game west coast swing wouldn’t hurt.