Aug

Yankees walk-off with win after Mo blows second straight save

Source: FanGraphs

It took four months, but What’s Wrong With Mo? Week™ has finally arrived. He usually has one in April and another in August, but the April WWWMW never arrived this year. Anyway, the Yankees picked up Mariano Rivera with a tenth inning walk-off win against the Tigers on Friday night, snapping Detroit’s 12-game winning streak. Let’s recap the 4-3 victory:

• Ivan The Not Terrible: For the first time since Mike Mussina in 2003, a Yankees right-hander has thrown at least seven innings in six straight starts. Ivan Nova‘s seven one-run frames against the Tigers were hard-fought — only one 1-2-3 inning, men in scoring position in four of seven innings — but he struck out seven and didn’t allow the run until there was one out in the seventh. PitchFX says Nova threw just one changeup out of 97 pitches, otherwise it was all fastballs and curveballs. That’s been the recipe during this stretch, fastballs and curves. It’s working, obviously. Nova’s a definite bright spot at the moment.
  • Blown: Like I said, WWWMW. Giving up a game-tying two-run homer to Miguel Cabrera is a little more understandable than Adam Dunn slapping the single through the left side, but they both tied the game in the end. Cabrera was limping around pretty badly after fouling two balls off his legs yet he still muscled the mistake pitch out. It was pretty damn impressive. All-time great vs. all-time great, and that time the Yankees all-time great lost. It happens. Mo will get back on track in no time, don’t worry. He always does. Still sucks he blew back-to-back saves like that.
  • Backup Catchers Stick Together: Brett Gardner, who won the game with a walk-off ground ball single through the left side, really bailed out Joe Girardi for sticking with Chris Stewart in a bases loaded situation not once, but twice. He grounded into a double play in the eighth before striking out looking in the tenth. There’s no reason for him to bat in either spot ever. Thankfully, Gardner came through with the bases loaded in the tenth, tying a bow on a great night (3-for-5 with a walk). Two walks, a single, and a wild pitch set the winning rally up. Al Alburquerque did everything to help the Yankees outside of pitch underhand.
  • Leftovers: Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in his return to Yankee Stadium, and was predictably booed (mostly) … the Yankees scored their first run on an Alfonso Soriano ground out, their second and third on a Robinson Cano double … Ichiro Suzuki had three hits and Lyle Overbay had two … the Yankees drew eight walks as a team (third most of the year) including five in the final two innings … David Robertson threw a perfect frame, but Boone Logan was pretty shaky and had to be bailed out by Shawn Kelley … the Yankees wore their white-billed batting practice hats during the game to help fight cancer.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. If you’re still holding out hope they can sneak into the postseason: the Yankees remain seven games back of the second wildcard spot in the loss column with four teams ahead of them. Cool Standings says they have a 2.6% chance of making the playoffs, up from 1.8% following Wednesday’s loss. Progress! Phil Hughes and Anibal Sanchez is your pitching matchup for Saturday afternoon. Check out RAB Tickets if you want to boo A-Rod in person.

Categories : Game Stories

1. forensic says:

The Yankees right-handed hitters (the starters) went 0-17 with 9 K’s. Porcello and company really destroyed them.

This is just the third time (as a reliever) that Mo allowed three XBH’s in one outing. The other two were September of 2000 and August of 2007. So, I guess every six or seven years we can expect one of these. I can deal with that.

2. Kramerica Industries says:

Surely, adding .8% of a chance of reaching the playoffs every game the rest of the way will give them a decent chance.

3. Kramerica Industries says:

Stupid Giants.

• forensic says:

I didn’t even realize Johnson blew the save, just assumed the O’s would win there. Guess that might add something for the people who may want someone else closing instead of him at this point.

Looking at the play-by-play of the 10th inning though, they really intentionally walked Adam Jones to get to Chris Davis? I understand they obviously wanted the lefty-lefty matchup, but seriously, have they seen Davis this season???

• Kramerica Industries says:

They kept Javier Lopez in to face the meat of the Orioles lineup. It was a doomed proposition from the start.

• SDB says:

Yup, I had a hard time believing that as well. So fucking stupid.

Of course the Giants should have won in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on 3rd and 1 out – and instead Johnson found people to swing at pitches well below the knees.

4. Wheels says:

Man, if Gardner didn’t come through and they went on to lose, it would have been unbelievably grim around here.

5. Mouse says:

The Yankees just this week alone helped stop Chisox 10 game losing streak and Tigers 12 game winning streak.

6. villapalomares says:

I was certain Joe would pinch hit for Stewart the second time in the 10th. Still can’t believe it. I would have sent Romine up just to have him experience a pressure situation.

• trr says:

Still don’t get that …wonder what he said to reporters after the game

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either, then I saw the alternatives and realized it was about making the least bad decision there. At least stewie had the decency to strike out and get Brett to the plate.

7. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

alls well that ends well

8. Kramerica Industries says:

Stewart’s WPA somehow was only -.233.

Hmm. Thought it had a chance to be near Overbay’s mark against Boston.

9. Kramerica Industries says:

Major tease alert at Dodger Stadium right now.

• forensic says:

Wow, they tied it. Think Joe Maddon is looking for a time machine to go back and not take out Price after only 99 pitches?

• Kramerica Industries says:

And then Rodney induces a DP ball back to him, and makes an unbelievably horrid throw to cost the Rays the game entirely.

Wow. That was unreal to watch. LA is scintillating right now.

• forensic says:

Double Wow, what a throw by Rodney.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

• SDB says:

Better than a tease.

I’ll still be laughing tomorrow morning about that fucking throw from Rodney.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Yeah, shoot your arrow now, asshole.

That was glorious. I had all but written off this game; glad I stayed up.

• SDB says:

Vin Scully saying deadpan “there’ll be no imaginary arrow going up into the sky, not now” made it even better.

Fuck Rodney.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Wow, Vin with some dry humor like that? Amazing! There really isn’t anything that man can’t do.

I personally had enough fun listening to the increasingly-despondent Dewayne Staats and Brian Anderson.

• Kramerica Industries says:

They face Greinke and Kershaw in the next two games.

Scary to think that the game that was literally begging to be had, a Price/Capuano game where the Rays led 6-0, is one they lost. They are now in prime sweeping position. Yikes.

10. sangreal says:

I usually stress over WWWMW but this year the Yankees aren’t going anywhere and he answered the question before the season even started. He said he is retiring because he is out of gas and it shows every now and then

11. vicki says:

remember the franchise player drafts from a couple years ago? NONE of espn’s thirty “resident baseball experts” selected miggy.

whole lotsa laughers on the list; some in hindsight, some obvious at the time.

good on niv shah, grabbing him ninth in the fangraphs draft. (even better on mike for snagging andrew mccutchen at 15. nobody at espn wanted cutch either.)

• forensic says:

I can’t believe that fangraphs guy who picked Crawford 7th. At least his jinx on the Red Sox did work, for a little while.

• Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo says:

The comments after the fangraphs player draft is the most interesting.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Andrew McCutchen is my favorite non-Yankee player.

• nycsportzfan says:

Hes my fave outside of yanks as well. Hes so graceful, and has the ability to hit and hit for power. I love guys who can just hit the tar outta the ball, ala gary sheffield, paul o’neill, and andrew mccuthen.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Sheffield’s a funny case for me. I used to love watching him play. The bat waggle, the lightning quick swing, the MVP-caliber season every year.
          Then he came to play for us, and I saw why all those other teams were happy to see him go.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Hahaha, Jon Lester.

• Pat D says:

Yea, but they’ve made that an annual thing now, and I’m pretty sure he was selected both times since that one.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Right after sweeping yanks, whitesox lose both ends of a double header against the Twins..lol

13. Mary Jean Scudieri says:

You have to play Nix! Nunez can’t cut it!

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s how it’s done. One teammate falters, another picks him up. Team sport. Great walk-off by Gardner.

But I thought it was going to be a maaaaaaaasacre against the Tigers?!?! When are these fuckers going to learn, other than “never,” that you still have to play the games in order to win or lose them?

We win again today. Operation SHOCK THE WORLD.

We’ll say nothing of Chris Stewart. He couldn’t be more useless if he was Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

I also, for one, am extremely grateful as well that we never got the early spring edition of WWWMW. You always know its coming at some point.

WWWDRW really isn’t going to have same ring to it.

16. bob says:

As for a footnote to the Alex Leftovers, how about giving Sterling the boot?:
    Sterling: well, they boo Yankees away. they even boo Jeter. QED
    (Susan, well, not Jeter for the same thing. Sterling: I’ve been here a long time and Yankees are always booed on the road.)
    Sterling: booing? well, they line up for Alex’s autographs (home and away)
    Sterling: AND no one knows what he did. No one.
    (Susan: silence)
    HE is the same one who is a non-stop commercial for any and every paymaster. any.

• forensic says:

Sorry bob, but you have me speechless, for several reasons…

• bob says:

forensic,
        Speechless? The Silence doesn’t flatter you. (Speaking of speechless, what to make of your “…”?)

Guess I need to explain more specifically – than in his own mealy mouthed words – that Sterling is both deluded and a cover-up enabler? That’s why he’s the voice of NYY, no?
        (or are we playing dumb?)

• forensic says:

Sorry, maybe it’s just me, but the formatting and stuff screwed me up a bit and I couldn’t tell exactly what was going on. And I agree Sterling is terrible, which is partly why I didn’t know if this was really what he said or just parody.

• bob says:

forensic,
            Thanks and Sorry about the formatting. It’s actually what Sterling said, and even kept his “yankee companera” from contradicting. The rarest of occasions when they don’t agree, and he pulls out the hammer-daddy voice and lays down the party line. What a fraud and non-stop pitchman. (As for parody, he’s a self-parody. Voice for hire that pretends to be humble at times when he ever so softly puts himself down while engaging in a monologue. forensic, don’t get us started on him….” What a reason for a makeover. He should be put out to pasture at Indian Point.

17. forensic says:

Apropos of nothing, but I’m watching the latest Yankees Classic (Nova’s CG against the O’s) and they were talking about Machado turning 21 after this game.

Just thought I should put up his numbers since turning 21: .234/.267/.378.

That must’ve been some bar crawl to drop off that much for over a month.

18. nycsportzfan says:

Hughes vs Sanchez today. That just sounds bad.

possible batting order?

1). Brett Gardner CF
    2). Ichiro RF
    3). Robbie 2B
    4). Granderson DH
    5). Alex 3B
    6). Overbay 1B
    7). Soriano LF
    8). Nunez SS
    9). Romine C

I think that would be a decent lineup to put out there.

19. bob says:

Lest we forget, how many times were there Yankees ISP and no one can deliver (all covered over by the winning hit): I’m talking multiple strike outs, etc. etc. Yes, oh well, they’re pressing. Well, so be it. But last time I looked they pull down Beaucoup Bucks to be there in that position. Well, everyone’s human. Yes, but some teams seem to be able to find more people who don’t wilt as much when it actually counts. The Yankeeeeees Wiiiiiiiiiiin. JESH.

20. Classless (shocker!) move by ARoid not talking to the media. Instead he left that burden for Girardi and his teammates.

• forensic says:

I understand a couple things that may have led to it, but yeah, he’s gotta be at his locker after the game.

• bob says:

Matt::Sec110,
      I don’t like him, but given the non-stop hammering that the angelic, pure as snow media continue to give him (and make their rent money from the bash cow), I can see why he wouldn’t show up. On another level, if he doesn’t show up as a pattern, then the sharks will have to eventually go somewhere else to find their blood in the water to feed off. This, in turn, will make it easier on his team and teammates. I think it’s a win/win if A-Roid stops talking period. Do it on the field and take the booing for that failure, or just shut up. There’s too much else to really worry about, inside and outside of baseball, imo.

• The New York media give up on a player? Come on now, you know this town better than that.

I’m not saying he has to address the PED/suspension thing, but be a man, show up at your locker and answer questions about the game.

21. Robinson Tilapia says:

If you can’t possess some measure of happiness as to your supposed favorite team winning, perhaps some reconsidering of why you’re even here is in order.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Reply to “bob” above.

• forensic says:

Well, maybe it’s more fitting then, but I still have my questions (sorry bob). And yeah, my comment was pretty poorly put together too, I think.

I blame Anheuser-Busch…

• bob says:

Robinson Tilapia,
        I do take a measure of happiness from the win. It’s just that it’s papering over a free fall that is very serious. The happiness is that Nova looks like he’s a second wonderful starter. The sadness and alarm is that Kuroda, our actual ACE and one of MLB’s best pitchers is on a year to year contract. If you were going on 39 with a last chance to win big and find some run support, would you sign for another year with this team? That’s what pains me, as a lifelong Yankee fan.

• forensic says:

Who here has denied any joy or bitched about the outcome of the game and especially how they got there, or what have you (so far)?

22. Manny's BanWagnon says:

Nova pitching so well is such a great development. With only he and CC likely returning for next years rotation, if he can pitch this well moving forward,it will be a huge lift for the team that’s likely gonna depend heavily on run prevention

• bob says:

Manny’s BanWagnon,
      Do you see that Kuroda won’t come back? I do, sadly. Do you think we’ll splash for Lincecum? Who else?

• Manny's BanWagnon says:

I think Cashman’s first order of business should be to beg Kuroda to come back but I don’t think he will. I see him either going back to Japan to finish out his career or going to a team with a better chance to win next year.

I’d stay far away from Lincecum unless it was on a cheap 1 year deal. He’s been mediocre for 2 years in the NL west. I thnk he’d be awful in the AL east with his home park a launching pad

• bob says:

Totally agreed on CASHman begging Kuroda to stay. Even if he lasts just a great 1/2 – 2/3 of a season at this level, I doubt that there’s anything out there to match him. But agreed that he probably won’t sign. Of course we’ve always got the Killer Bees to turn to. Or maybe bring back Ian Kennedy for a big 3 reunion?

23. Bartolo's Colon says:

This was one of the more fun games I have been to at ys in a while. The place was packed and it was a good game. There were a lot of cheers for a-rod too. Boos are louder than clapping, but I really don’t think they were overwhelming. He had a bad game but it is amazing how some people treat him as if he screwed their wife then beat their kids. It is pretty unbelievable to see some of these people carry on.

Mo blown saves always hurt, good to see they got the w anyway.

24. There's the Door says:

I was at the game last night and it was a highly toxic atmosphere. People hate Rodriguez to the point that even if you think he brought it on himself, as I do, you feel sorry for him. He’s completely alone out there getting pilloried, and he’s looking at 4+ years of misery. He doesn’t want to retire b/c he’ll lose the money but he can’t play anymore. He just can’t. This is a terrible, terrible situation for all parties. Especially the fans. It won’t improve until ARod is elsewhere.
    The only time there was any lightness or joy in the park was when Mo came in. We’re getting to the time in the season when some of the fans know this is the last time they’ll ever see him pitch. You could see them getting emotional.
    So you had the despised ARod and the beloved Mariano. A very strange cocktail. The final score was almost an afterthought.

25. mt says:

I agree Kuroda needs to be begged to come back (not the best situation because he is 39 but he is golden because he takes 1 year deals).

But for Kuroda and even Cano the question increasingly becomes why would they want to sign with this team? Basically a bottom 3 offense for most of the year after May 15.

Fans have doubts about a full year of Jeter and Teix (assuming Grandy gone) really turning it around to become a top notch offense in 2014 -do Kuroda and Cano as members of the team think Teix and Jeter coming back in 2014 will make their own team offensively better – or do they have the same doubts Yankee fans do?

Kuroda also has to think about as a pitcher next year with an immobile left side of infield (Jeter plus Arod for any non-suspended games) – that is why top priority we need to get some more athleticism defensively on left side even if offense is not there – hopefully Yanks can add offense at C and OF.

Do Kuroda and Cano want to come back to these Yankees?