Sep

Game 159: Mo’s Final (Home) Game

(Maddie Meyer/Getty)

(Maddie Meyer/Getty)

This is the final home game of Mariano Rivera‘s career. I can’t believe it. I don’t want to believe it. The Yankees have already been eliminated from the postseason and Rivera’s farewell tour is pretty much the only reason worth tuning in. Joe Girardi has already confirmed Mariano will pitch tonight regardless of score, and you can be sure the ovation and “Mar-ee-a-no!” chants will be long and loud. It’s going to be amazing. I can’t want but I never want it to come. Here’s the lineup that will face right-hander Alex Cobb:

1. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  2. 3B Eduardo Nunez
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. DH Alfonso Soriano
  5. CF Curtis Granderson
  6. 1B Lyle Overbay
  7. LF Zoilo Almonte
  8. SS Brendan Ryan
  9. C J.R. Murphy

And on the mound is righty Ivan Nova, making his final start of the season. He’s been one of the few positives this year regardless of what happens tonight.

The weather is fine in New York, so they won’t have any trouble getting the game in. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Rotation Update: Andy Pettitte‘s last start has been pushed back a day, so he will start Saturday instead of Friday. The Yankees currently have both Friday’s and Sunday’s starters listed as TBA. Friday’s start was supposed to go to the Phil Hughes/David Huff tandem before they had to spot for CC Sabathia and Sunday’s start was supposed to go to Hiroki Kuroda. Guess they’re shutting him down. Brett Marshall and Adam Warren are the obvious replacement options, though I suppose they could go with a bullpen game on Sunday. We’ll see. Not exactly a big concern.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Lukaszek says:

Come on Yanks, win one for Mariano. Just one Mo’ time

2. Kenny says:

Win it for Mo.

3. forensic says:

Andy Pettitte‘s last start has been pushed back a day, so he will start Friday instead of Saturday

Wouldn’t being pushed back a day mean he’s starting on Saturday instead of Friday, not the other way around?

4. Kenny says:

Was thinking about going today, but glad my final opportunity to see Mo live was on Sunday.

5. vicki says:

there goes the no/no.

6. Patrick says:

Pretty lame effort by Cano on Zobrist’s soft single up the middle….

7. WhittakerWalt says:

Cool, Ichiro’s leading off!

*GUNSHOT*

8. JGYank says:

And Cano grounds into a dp in a 3-1 count. Why do guys swing on 3-1? You are one pitch away from a guaranteed base. I’m not saying don’t swing at all but guys swing way to often when they are ahead in the count IMO.

9. vicki says:

dammit, i want my own hot young rookie.

10. Joe Girardi talking about “respecting the pennant race” is a bunch of bullshit. If he really respected it, the 2011 Rays might not have made the playoffs. If he respected it, Mariano Rivera would’ve pitched the 9th inning of a 7-6 game, with rest coming prior to their series with the Tigers two days later.

Don’t BS us, Joe.

11. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

proposed lineup next year every single day
    1. cano (everything except pitcher and catcher)
    2. Mesa (everything except pitcher)
    3. Nova (pitch every inning of every game)
    BENCH
    1.Jesus Montero
    2. Jesus
    COACHING STAFF
    Manager: Chad Curtis
    Hitting, pitching, bullpen, and bench coaches: Shane Spencer, Darrell Rasner, Mike Harkey (he can stay), and your choice each day of David Justice, Curtis Pride, Jeremy Giambi, Enrique Wilson, and Eric Almonte

12. Tom says:

So 1 ball out of the infield so far?

Cobb’s a good pitcher but yeesh…

13. CashmanNinja says:

With the way they’re hitting (or..um..not hitting) I say just throw Mo out in CF now and let him get a few innings. It’s not like we’ll change anything for Tampa Bay. We’re not going to hit anyway and at least this will be something fans will remember. This team has absolutely ZERO punch.

14. Psycho Trish says:

This team is fucking gutless.

15. Pinkie Pie says:

Thanks for putting the game out of reach, Betances, you bum.

16. CashmanNinja says:

Betances is young. I’d rather he make mistakes now instead of doing it next year. He’s getting his feet wet. I’m saving my blame for the dudes making tons of money and doing jack shit. I wish Mo would just come in already to play CF and then pitch.

17. Kronk says:

Bob Shepard’s voice doing the Mariano intro….love it.

18. Darren says:

This feels like dying.

19. CashmanNinja says:

Even though this game has absolutely sucked … at least we get to see Mo.

20. Darren says:

35 comments in the 8th inning. Yeesh.

21. Wheels says:

Rally for Mo.

22. Pinkie Pie says:

1st and 3rd, no outs. Just this once Yankees, surprise me in a positive way.

23. Bo Knows says:

I think Well’s son is already a better hitter than his old man

24. mustang says:

“Andy Pettitte‘s last start has been pushed back a day, so he will start Saturday instead of Friday.”

THANK YOU JOE!!!!!!!!

Fly to Houston this weekend and I have tickets for Saturday’s game I was afraid was going to get Warren or Marshall. Thanks to Joe I’m getting Andy’s LAST FUCK GAME! YESSSS BABY!!!

I been a slave to the wife since I’m gone for 3 days so I’m late but I see by the score that I haven’t missed much.

Please no recaps.

• Darren says:

I’m happy for you my man! Hope you get a perfecto from Andy!

• mustang says:

THANKS!
        but that would be probably too much to ask.

I was hoping to watch them clinch, but I guess this is the next best thing. It’s special for me I watch these guys grow up and retire can’t begin to thank them for all they have given me as a fan. I waited 15 years! For this dynasty and they paid back in FULL.

25. Tom says:

Predictable strikeout is predictable.

I still think they should cut Wells in the offseason regardless of the luxury tax cost being $0.

26. WhittakerWalt says:

Is there room in that volcano for Vernon Wells?

27. SDB says:

ANDY!!!!!!!!!

28. Pinkie Pie says:

It’s been an honor and a privilege watching you play all these years, Mariano. God bless you.

29. Bo Knows says:

I’m about to cry

30. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Thanks for everything Mo.

31. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

That was beautiful.

32. JGYank says:

Wow… What an ending here. Was he crying? And pettitte and Jeter out to the mound. Incredible…

33. Darren says:

Jeter and Pettitte coming to get Mo….That was amazing. What a terrible beauty this game and life can be.

34. Leg-End says:

I have something in my eye.

35. hogsmog says:

Why’d he come in in the 8th, you think?

36. Tyrone Sharpton says:

This is probably the saddest moment I’ve had as a fan. I don’t even think Jeter’s retirement will be as depressing; there’s something different about Mo.

37. Tom says:

That was pretty damn awesome.

38. Adam says:

This sounds ridiculous, I know, but this almost made not making the playoffs worthwhile this year.

39. Vern Sneaker says:

Fantastic. Everybody watching here crying. That was special.

• 461deep says:

Great night and performance for Mo. Rest of team played terribly the whole series with no zest or energy at all. Hitters pretty much caved for 3 days.

40. LarryM Fl says:

Will there be a storybook ending?

41. Darren says:

Sorry, what is Kay talking about with Mo having the lowest ERA of all time?

42. LarryM Fl says:

305 million dollar man can’t hit a 5 run HR.

43. WhittakerWalt says:

Great moment for Mo. At least the fans at our last home game have something to remember. The game certainly stunk out loud.

44. forensic says:

So, Girardi says he’ll manage this one normally because it still counts for the Rays.

Taking Mo out in the middle of an inning when he’s pitching well is normal?

Two players going to mound to take out a pitcher is normal?

Delaying the game for 5-10 minutes for a pitching change is normal?

Yet again, don’t believe whatever Girardi says.

• To be fair, Daley hasn’t been terrible.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Were you really bothered by it?

• forensic says:

This stuff doesn’t really do much for me. It’s sad and all, and it sucks that he’s done, but play/manage the game the right and normal way through it.

And if you’re going to do it, at least don’t lie through your teeth about it beforehand.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Girardi is rarely honest. But then, most managers lie all the time.
          Anyway, the game was OVER. There were two outs. We were down by 4. That’s as over as it gets.

• Mikhel says:

September 18th, 1993:

Yankees were still in the race for the AL East, 3 games below Toronto and 12 games still to play after that day.

Game was 3-1 in favour of the Boston Red Sox who were 8 games below 1st place, bottom of the 9th inning, 2 outs…

HBP to Mike Gallego.

Mike Stanley was called to pinch hit, he popped up to 3rd baseman Mike Greenwell who caught it for out 27… BUT… a fan ran a bit before the pitch was delivered and it time was called, the pitch, the pop-up, the out didn’t count. Stanley singled.

Wade Boggs hit an infield single to second base. A run scored, 3-2.

Dion James was walked, now the bases were loaded for the Captain.

Donnie baseball, The Captain batting… Greg Harris, the pitcher, delivered a fastball for strike one, the people were nervous, we knew Toronto had already won 5-1 vs the Twins behind Dave Stewart, the Yanks needed this win… BALL ONE!!! If Donnie could hit it out of the park, if only he could do it again as when he did it back in 1986 for six times… like when he had his streak of consecutive games with a homerun, tied a major league record back then and later tied by Griffey Jr…

Donnie connected the next pitch, a hard pulled line drive that snuck between first and second base, a run scored, the game was tied, they sent the runner, OH MY GOD BOGGS IS SLOW!!… WAIT!! The yanks took Boggs out of the game and brought in Andy Stankiewicz!! He had a chance, could he do it?… YES!! the yankees won, the yankees won!!

Mind you… we went crazy at home, yelling like there was no tomorrow, the Yanks were dead and came back, and they came back to show us they had pride, they had courage and they were on the brink of doing what we had dreamt for so many years during the 1980s… and boy they did it in 1994 when the strike took our season away, it was ours, we could taste it… then 1995 broke our hearts and we waved goodbye to Donnie Baseball and welcomed new faces in Andy, Mo and Jeter…

And then… and then… the magic began, a story that I whished would never end, but it did and with it, Mariano said goodbye and with tears in our eyes, our hearts were broken, not because he is gone but because we might never see a yankee dominate as much as Mariano did for so many years.

And I can only say: Thank you Mariano, gracias por todos los momentos felices que pasamos viéndote lanzar, sufriendo cuando tus lanzamientos no mordían el plato y fallabas en tu labor monticular, pero sobre todo gracias, por ser quien eres. Gracias Mariano.

• Darren says:

He didn’t say he would manage normally, he said he would show respect for the playoff races. It’s hard to argue that removing Mo with one left in the 9th, with a feeble hitting Yankees team down 4-0, was showing disrespect. Again, playing a pitcher totally out of position is just a bit different ans should be reserved for the denoument of the weekend, if at all.

• CashmanNinja says:

There were 2 outs and it was his last game. We were down by 4, have no offense, and Girardi was conceding the game. When a historic player pitches his last inning he can take all the time he wants.

• Forensic is a fair bit obsessive/compulsive. He’s not irritated about this, he’s just kinda like me when it comes to hearing one thing, and then seeing the exact other thing done.

Don’t feed the line of “respecting the pennant race” when you (Girardi, that is) have failed to do so in prior occasions before and aren’t really doing so here.

As far as anyone cared, this was undoubtedly the right decision. Joe just didn’t need to make some silly comment about it beforehand.

• Tom says:

Once it go to 4-0 it was over. Bringing Mo in early is not impacting the outcome of the game negatively (if anything it is improving the chances), pulling him 1 out early is impacting things a bit but down 4-0 with 2 out that is a minuscule impact.

The real impact was Betances being the first reliever in a 2-0 game in the 8th – I have no issue with the move, but Girardi shouldn’t be giving lip service to playing things normally pre-game.

45. Darren says:

I just realized we got fucking swept. Fuck.

• HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Psh, I didn’t even consider that until I saw this post. I’m beyond caring about that, haha. Just trying to wrap my head around that last inning.