Sep

Sabathia done for season with Grade II left hamstring strain

See you in Tampa, CC. (Presswire)

See you in Tampa, CC. (Presswire)

CC Sabathia suffered a Grade II strain of his left hamstring in his last start and is done for the season, the Yankees announced. The recovery time is eight weeks and he is expected to be ready for Spring Training. Brian Cashman confirmed to Dan Martin that Sabathia suffered the injury in the second inning of Friday’s start against the Giants but “pitched through it.”

Sabathia, 33, must have hid the injury if it happened in the second inning. I doubt Joe Girardi & Co. would keep sending him out there if they knew he was hurt. CC has been terrible overall this year, pitching to a 4.78 ERA (4.10 FIP) in 211 innings across 32 starts, his seventh straight season of 200+ innings. The Yankees didn’t need to come up with some kind of injury excuse if they wanted to shut Sabathia down — even if they did, they wouldn’t come up with something as severe as a Grade II hamstring strain — so this is legit. You know, for all you conspiracy theorists out there.

The Yankees had already rearranged their rotation for the upcoming Rays series and Sabathia was scheduled to start Wednesday night. That start figures to go to the Phil Hughes/David Huff tandem instead. The team does need to come up with a starter for Saturday’s game now, so they could either split up the Hughes/Huff tandem or give the ball to someone like Brett Marshall or Adam Warren. I doubt David Phelps is an option at this point. He had not thrown more than two innings in a simulated game before being activated off the DL last week.

Because of expanded rosters, Sabathia will not technically be placed on the DL. Obviously a Grade II strain would be a DL-worthy injury had it come earlier in the season. Sabathia was on the DL twice last season (groin strain, elbow inflammation) and had offseason surgery both last year (bone spur in elbow) and the year before (meniscus tear in right knee). Outside of oblique strains in 2005 and 2006, he was almost perfectly healthy for the first ten years of his career. Sucks he’s breaking down now.

Categories : Injuries

1. Andrew says:

And yet Phil Hughes stayed healthy for this entire season. Damn shame.

• Mike B. says:

Ain’t THAT the truth!

• Algernon Blackwood says:

Haven’t they performed more or less the same this year?

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Didn’t Hughes start the season on the DL?

• Darren says:

Laugh all you want, but the SEASON IS NOW IN PHIL HUGHES’ hands! Time for redemption, time to step up. He gets the ball on Wednesday and it could be a huge game! PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS!!!

Still hanging on man, still hanging on.

it’sa still possible, we’ve never had that miracle comback season like other teams have had, we’re due for it!

2. itsallhowuseeit says:

wtf!!!!!!! This is the most out of shape unconditioned team ever

3. lightSABR says:

Do you know what’s really sad about this? That there’s nothing sad about this at all.

-Sabathia has sucked badly enough this season that losing him isn’t that big a deal.

-Even if he hadn’t sucked, we don’t really have a prayer of making the playoffs.

-Even if we did have a prayer of making the playoffs, we’ve got so many question marks on our roster that losing Sabathia hardly dents our already abysmal chances of playoff success.

So, CC, enjoy your early vacation. If an extra week of rest can help get your arm ready for next year, I’m glad you’re getting it.

• BigDavey88 says:

I’m thinking if CC didn’t suck this year we would most likely own one of the wildcard spots.

But overall, yeah, everything sucks.

4. captaincrunch says:

and they are just discovering this now? was there any talk of this after his last start? Plans for an MRI?

• Winter says:

I’m guessing they did all that and only told the public when they were sure.

• captaincrunch says:

I guess my point is, usually they are very vocal about possible injuries and scheduled MRI’s. A pulled hammy doesnt just happen when your sitting down and there wasnt anything in the game that pointed to the possibility of it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree. I also think it’s the end of the season, the team clearly knows that October play is an extreme longshot, and this just means he’s missing a start and has all the time in the world to rehab later. I wouldn’t read much into it.

5. Dr says:

Too bad this didn’t happen 8 weeks ago :0

6. Winter says:

But he pitched well last start! Maybe the key for Sabathia is just to always pitch with a hamstring strain.

7. I'm One says:

Rest and get well CC. Your services will be needed next year. Please get back to 2011 form. (Even 2012 form would be acceptable.)

• Frank says:

I wouldn’t count on that happening. I’m betting he continues to spiral downward or at best, pitches like this season.

• I'm One says:

While he may never get back to his peak performance, he is regarded as an intelligent pitcher. I’m betting he re-learns how to pitch ala Mike Mussina. I’m hoping he’ll get back to somewhere between his peak years and this year, leaning more towards his peak years. Seems he had a few games this seasoon where he was starting to figure it out, but couldn’t quite carry it through the whole game.

8. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

6 more games and this nightmare of a season is over forever.

9. stuart a says:

went to Fridays and saturdays games against the Giants. Took the red eye from Los Angeles Thursday night. took 2 of my children, they have neer been to the new park. sat in section 117 on saturday night and sunday sat in I think section 205 between home and first in the 2nd deck. spent$1100 for 8 tickets to the 2 games. Took my dad ho lives in NY also.

Kids really enjoyed the stadium. saw 2 victories and my daughter got a fould ball during giant BP on friday night. It looks like the next 2 + years may be very difficult.

the core 4 will never happen again. interested to see how the jeter situation plays out next year, definitely will be his last year. he needs to be realistic about himself and the team….

• I'm One says:

Great timing! Hope you and your family enjoyed the experience. My daughter was at Sunday’s game. While these things can get expensive, sometimes you’ve just got to realize there will never be another opportunity like this in your lifetime and bite the bullet.

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

I love dad reports–that’s fantastic. Glad you guys had a great time.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Sounds like a fantastic time. Good on you for spending the extra money to have some great seats.

It’s possible the next two years may be relatively difficult, but no one ever said the New York Yankees were immune to adversity. People just act like they’re above it. They’re not and, as Mike’s NEXT post shows, building a post-Core-Four identity was going to be difficult no matter what.

10. Leg-End says:

The medical department needs a shakeup.

11. Matt DiBari says:

All this really goes I’d kill my hope that I’d never have to see Phil Hughes again

12. mt says:

What did REM say

“EVERYBODY HURTS”.

This team cannot keep anyone on the field. Hopefully 2014 will be a below average year for injuries because 2013 has been ridiculous.

One moment yesterday came home to me about injuries when I saw Jayson Nix in the dugout during the Mo celebration and it hit me that he actually played for 2013 Yankees – oh yes, someone who also got hurt -the back-up (Nix) to the back-up (whether it be SS Nunez or 3B Youkilis, who by the way also got hurt) to the starter (whether it be Jeter or Arod, who of course were hurt this year.)

13. Dr. Gregory Stevenson DDS says:

This right here is the icing on the cake for what has been a ridiculous season full of injuries. Even if by some Miracle they win out the season and get some help along the way and eek into the playoffs, Kiroda and Pettitte and Nova aren’t going to win us a world series alone. If by some EVEN BIGGER MIRACLE they would win it all, I’d be flabbergasted.

14. Sean says:

The way things have went with the injuries, it makes me wonder if the Yankees will make any changes to their medical staff, because the last two seasons, the Yankees have been plagued by injuries.

• Mike B. says:

Right, Sean.

• mitch says:

Some of the injuries were just bad luck and some were expected based on age and injury history, but I agree some blame needs to go to the staff. When you factor in all the minor league guys who have had arm issues and all the rehab setbacks, you really do start to question if they’re doing something wrong.

15. Mike B. says:

I’ve always wondered if CC would break down sooner than later. It might be too long ago to make a difference, but when he was pitching in Milwaukee, didn’t the Brewers let him go 9 innings many times? I guess they figured they could not re-sign him, so they might as well get what use they could out of his arm. Again, perhaps that was too long ago to contribute to the current reality, but I have to wonder if time has finally caught up with CC.

• mitch says:

Maybe i’m being too much of an optimist, but for now i’m just going to chalk this up to a rough transition season for a guy figuring out how to pitch without his best stuff.

I think the ace days are over, but i bet he bounces back and becomes a solid #2 for a couple more years. It certainly wouldn’t be unprecedented.

• Mike HC says:

The problem is that it also isn’t unprecedented for him to never be close to the same again. I’m certainly not betting on CC bouncing back to a number two (3.5 era?) next year. My expectations are more of an era of like 3.75-4.00. I definitely hope he does figure it out though.

• Captain says:

that was in 2008. so 5 full seasons ago, 4 that were above average.

16. Dan says:

what do you guys think of this roster for next season:

Catcher – *Brian Mcann 15,000,000 (through free agency)
    First base – Mark texiara 23,125,000
    Second Base – *Omar infante 5,500,000 (through free agency)
    Shortstop – Derek Jeter, 8,000,000
    Third base – Mark Reynolds 5,000,000 (resign)
    CF – Brett Gardner 3,500,000 (estimated)
    LF – Alfonso Soriano 5,000,000
    RF – *Shin shoo choo 15,000,000 (through free agency)
    UTL – Brendan Ryan 3,000,000 (estimated)
    UTL – Eduardo Nunez – 600,000 (estimated)
    UTL -Vernon wells 2,400,000
    UTL – Ichiro 6,500,000
    UTL – Auston romine 600,000 (estimated)
    13 Position Players = 93,225,000

SP – CC sabathia 23,000,00
    SP – *masahiro tanaka 9,000,000 (through free agency)
    SP – Michael pineda 600,000 (estimated)
    SP – Ivan Nova 600,000 (estimated)
    SP – Adam Warren 500,000 (estimated)

Closer – David Robertson 3,700,000 (estimated)
    Set up – *Jesse Crain 6,000,000 (through free agency)
    LHP – *Scott Downs 5,000,000 (through free agency)
    RHP – Preston Claiborne 500,000 (estimated)
    RHP – Shawn Kelly 1,200,000 (estimated)
    RHP – Brett Marshall 500,000 (estimated)
    Long relief – David phelps 500,000 (estimated)

12 pitchers = 51,100,000
    total payroll = 144,325,000 without Arods salary
    Total payroll = 172,325,000 with Arods salary

1)Yankees draft pick
    2) Robinso Cano draft pick
    3) Curtis Granderson draft pick
    4) Hiroki Kuroda draft pick

17. Algernon Blackwood says:

You can tell it’s been a tough year when your ace goes down adn you are a better team for it.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

This.

Sadly, he’s been done for far longer than this. This season….utter disaster. If he doesn’t rebound to at least 2012 form this is a bigger problem than ARod.

18. Mister D says:

Someone is going to be hit in the face with a comebacker before our season ends. Book it.

19. hogsmog says:

Hopefully this makes him get fat again over the offseason. That will solve all his problems, right?

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

That is my completely unscientific belief. I think he should go back to eating two boxes of cap’n crunch every morning for second breakfast, get back to 310-320, and see what happens. I’d rather have two more very good seasons of a giant fat guy who blows out his knees and back than 4 (5?) more years like this.

20. Mister D says:

If CC weighed 185 pounds he would be the best pitcher ever and Greg Maddux would be like “this guy is so much better than me” and he’d look really good and every time he doesn’t do good its because he’s fat and fat players can never succeed in baseball Willie Stargell would have made the double Hall of Fame if he were skinny like other skinny players who were also good …

• Mister D says:

Its just so GD lazy to blame weight. This guy is in like the 95th percentile of pitching durability but every time something goes wrong, its because he’s fat. And maybe weight does contribute to a strain somewhere along the line, but maybe he throws 86 if he drops 50 lbs or he blows out his shoulder because he doesn’t have as much behind it. Tiring.

21. Robinson Tilapia says:

Making the playoffs is the most uphilliest of battles, CC or no CC, right now. I can’t be too concerned here. Rest up, big man, and get ready for the 2014 Comeback Player of the Year award.

22. Mike B. says:

McCann behind the plate might help.

23. Laz says:

So…
    Eight weeks, that is what,,,,, June 2014?