Oct

Saturday Night Open Thread

Happy Saturday everyone, here is your open thread for the evening. The Rays and Red Sox are playing Game Two of their ALDS right now on TBS (David Price vs. John Lackey) while the Tigers and Athletics will play their Game Two at 9pm ET on the same channel (Justin Verlander vs. Sonny Gray). The Islanders are playing and I’m sure there’s some college football on somewhere. Feel free to talk about those games or anything else right here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Anne Daniel says:

Some home run from Ortiz just now. I’ve been thinking about the Sox and Tampa Bay, 2008, these days….and the last game at the old Stadium right before the ALDS started. Hope you all like this, and thanks for taking a look: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....33092.html

• vicki says:

aw, i hadn’t thought about freddy sez in too long.

great memories, nicely conveyed. yours is unmistakably the voice of a Baseball Fan.

and pity the sad sack who felt like he needed to piss in your comments section. i say frequently to old-timers who proudly (defensively?) declare their having abandoned team and game, after the strike or in the face of steroids, blah blah: yeah, it’s all about money and everybody cheats. but once the first pitch is thrown i’m ten years old again.

• ropeadope says:

I hadn’t clicked the link until I saw Vicki’s endorsement – glad I finally did so. Wonderful article, heartfelt, and beautifully written. I’m now checking your archive of (varied) works.

• Betty Lizard says:

Thank you, Anne. Your article is terrific.

• Darren says:

Wow.

That is some great writing (and very nice, personal photos). I hope it gets reposted again when there are more visitors than there are tonight.

I forgot about Damon’s homerun that last night. My brother and I felt like it slightly made up for the grand slam he hit in Game 7 (the horror, the horror). Slightly.

You made me miss the ticket kiosks and the janky foul poles. (I sat next to the left field one when Raul Mondesi ht hit a ball that just barely flicked off the pole, but it was called foul. So, Mr. Mondesi, you can add one more dinger to your total).

I miss the site of the sky when you walked from the concourse up into the lights, either sun or artificial. It was like being born.

I miss banging on Freddy’s pan.

I miss The Stadium.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this here. You get a standing ovation here.

Like Darren said, those are the words of a true Yankee fan.

2. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Fenway is a joke.

3. Pat D says:

OK, it’s settled. The worst beard on this team of horrible beards definitely belongs to Mr. Awesome O’Clock.

4. vicki says:

all-around gutlessness on the part of the rays so far. easier to give my full attention to sooners and cocks, i guess.

5. KEN says:

Can’t the cubs be charged with tampering with Joe?

• Pat D says:

Why? What did they do?

• Darren says:

There’s been a bunch of stories that the Cubs are preparing to offer Girardi a deal that would make him one of the two best managers in baseball.

Not sure it could ever be proven that they were the source of the leak, and I don’t know if there are tampering rules against managers the way there are with players.

• Pat D says:

I don’t think that being prepared to offer him a deal can be considered tampering. They’d have to actually do it while he’s still under contract.

• KEN says:

Sources close to the Cubs and others close to Girardi told the Sun-Times in the last week that the sides have expressed mutual interest through back channels in recent weeks.

6. Tom says:

Man the TBS TV production in the playoffs has been crap – they’ve missed a bunch of plays (sometimes just showing random off field or dugout shots, sometimes just trying to milk commercial time). The camera work has also been horrendous.

• vicki says:

if you think that’s bad i can’t recommend the single camera or vertigo-inducing multi-angle options on mlb.tv.

7. mustang says:

This is just going to be a cakewalk for the Sox. I guess someday there could be a WC team that is clearly better then the division winners but this is NOT that year in the American league.

8. This game has just been nuts.

9. Wheels says:

Everything going the Red Sox’s way.

10. Hall and Nokes says:

The AL playoffs feel like a formality. Better hope Donnie doesn’t run LA into a utility pole.

11. Darren says:

Who the hell is Al Alburquerque?? Do they mean Alberto Jose Alburquerque? Because I know who that guy is.

12. Ethan says:

I don’t know who I want to win the series between Detroit and Oakland. I want the team most likely to beat boston to win, whoever that is.