Jan

Olney: Balfour flunked O’s physical because of wrist and knee, not shoulder

Via Buster Olney: Grant Balfour failed his pre-signing physical with the Orioles last month due to concerns about his wrist and knee. I assume it’s the knee he had surgically repaired (torn meniscus) last February. It was initially reported that the deal fell through because something scary popped up in his shoulder, which is obviously a big deal for a pitcher.

The Yankees were said to have renewed interest in Balfour shortly after things fell apart with the Orioles. It has now been 24 days since that deal fell through and, aside from some rumors within the first two or three days, things around Balfour have been very quiet. Very few reports of interested teams, stuff like that. The medicals just might be pretty bad. I’d love to see the Yankees swoop in and get him cheap, but if the guy isn’t healthy, then the guy isn’t healthy and you have to look elsewhere.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Anthony says:

Didn’t two doctors give him a clean bill of health? Surely they would’ve caught the same thing the Orioles physicians did, no?

2. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Cashman……hasn’t failed yet?

Who am I bullshitting…

3. TWTR says:

His agent could be waiting until some team gets desperate for bullpen help in ST?

4. Chip Rodriguez says:

I like Balfour, but the guy is a flyball pitcher. Even with a great defensive outfield, I’m a bit wary.

5. The Great Gonzo says:

I’m still wary. He’s as big a question mark as any other FA reliever out there, and an expensive one at that.

IN fairness, I still have Hawkins/Farnsworth/Feliciano/Marte flashbacks.

• TheEvilUmpire says:

How can u have a Feliciano flashback? Dude pitched in like 1 st game!

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Balfour is actually probably not going to be expensive, given the health issues that have come to light. There’s been so little activity to sign him, I bet a team willing to take the risk could get him a 1 year, $2M deal.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d give him some silly 1/6 thing with a vesting option, or something like that. Sure.

I’m starting to think that believing that a potentially mummified Grant Balfour is some sort of savior is a form of PTSD stemming from the lack of Mariano in the bullpen and just wanting a name you know out there.