Jan

Thursday Night Open Thread

Seven years ago today, the Yankees traded Randy Johnson back to the Diamondbacks for four players, the most useful of whom proved to be right-hander Luis Vizcaino. I looked for some highlight videos of Johnson during his time in New York, and, long story short, I got stuck in a YouTube wormhole and wound up at the Tino Martinez-Armando Benitez brawl. That was pure chaos. The whole video is worth watching but the best part is at the 6:00 mark. And no, I never did find a decent Randy Johnson highlight video to post.

Here is tonight’s open thread. The Devils and Knicks are both playing, so talk about those games, the Tino-Benitez brawl, the upcoming A-Rod ruling, or anything else. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

That must be what earned Benitez a HOF vote…

2. hogsmog says:

Benitez got a HOF vote this year, so the wormhole actually brought you back around to somewhat relevancy.

3. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I will still never understand what Scott Brosius was doing during that brawl. It appeared as if he was afraid to mix it up.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think he just wanted nothing to do with the admittedly larger Benitez, because right after that he tackles the dude holding him back to the ground.

• Dale Mohorcic says:

Seems like he was trying to stop the fight and that dickwad Benitez wanted to fight him for it. Not sure what happened with Baines right after that.

4. Dalek Jeter says:

Jayson Nix is no longer a Yankee!

• forensic says:

Our (first) long national nightmare is over!

Still waiting on Wells’ release, A-Rod’s completely overturned suspension, Tanaka’s signing…

• Dalek Jeter says:

I may sound spoiled, but I want more than A-Rod and Tanaka. Drew would be nice, and so would one of Ubaldo or Garza to go with Tanaka.

• forensic says:

I want none of them, personally.

• forensic says:

None of them meaning the guys other than A-Rod and Tanaka, in case that wasn’t clear.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I actually wasn’t sure at first thanks for clarifying(seriously, no sarcam, whenever I say thanks online I feel like it sounds sarcastic), even with a healthy A-Rod an infield of A-Rod, Jeter, Johnson/Roberts, and Tex is a recipe for disaster IMO. As for the pitching staff, if CC can be 2007-2012 CC again then yeah, I’m good with just Tanaka. Since that is a huge ‘IF’ in my book, I’d like as much help behind him as possible. Plus thinking past 2014 when Kuroda is almost definitely retiring having CC,Tanaka, Jimminez/Garza, and Nova all already in the rotation would mean that adding a Scherzer or (HOPEFULLY) a Kershaw would give us one of the best rotations in baseball come 2015.

• Chip Rodriguez says:

Yeah, A-Rod and Tanaka alone don’t fix the question marks/holes in the rotation. Even if A-Rod comes back and Tanaka signs, another arm and some starting depth is needed.

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

If the FO gets Tanaka I’m actually okay with going into ST with the rotation as is. I’d rather have Phelps, Pineda, etc. fight it out for the fifth spot than signing someone like Maholm or Johnson.

As for Jiminez, Garza, and Santana I’m not very interested unless their prices come down to 3/45 4/48-52 or so. This is assuming the FO don’t land Tanaka. If they don’t, one of these guys almost becomes a necessity.

I still think some kind of starter is acquired mid-season either way considering the age and/or unpredictability of every starter in the rotation.

5. Dalek Jeter says:

Also, Straw with the fucking HAYMAKER at six minutes, and Benitez absolutley deserved it. For some reason, apart from this video I remember him being a classless tool.

• Rick in Florida says:

That was great, he came flying out of nowhere to deck him. Made me think of the old Dave Chapelle skits… “Gotcha Bitch!”

Ah Straw… Cocaines a hell of a drug.

6. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I can see the ad now.
    “Hirok. Tanak. Ciroc. Enjoy responsibly.”

7. Frank says:

Ah, the good old days when real fans were able to go to games and rock the stadium.

• stuckey says:

Real fairweather fans, you mean.

Watch any highlight of Don Mattingly hitting a homerun at the Stadium.

See the mass swaths of empty seats.

Aren’t “real fans” still expected to show up even when the team isn’t winning 95 games?

• vicki says:

surely he means real fans versus the corporate twits who can pony up the cash to go to the new stadium.

• stuckey says:

I know what he means. I stand by my statement.

Yankees averaged 23,521k in 1995. Year they won the playoffs.

27,789 in 1996, year they won a world series.

From there the attendance went like this through ’08.

31,856
          36,484
          40,662
          37,956
          40,807
          42,736
          42,785
          47,788
          50,499
          51,858
          52,739
          53,069

Point is it become fashionable to go to the Stadium, it became a hot ticket slowly over time as the team racked up winning season after winning season.

Let’s not build mythology over Yankee attendance, like a hardcore lunch-bucket crowd sold out Yankees stadium every year for decades.

Many REAL Yankees were content NOT to go to games for years.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

not just wins, but “stars”

Average attendance in 2003 is 42K and that’s after winning 5 pennants in 7 years. Then it zooms to 47K the next year after they acquire ARod and even though they go through a title drought they quickly rise 53K per game.

ARod really put butts in the seats.

• The spice mines of Kessel says:

Exactly. The 23,000 fans in those Mattingly shots are the real fans, and they still go to games. It’s the other half of the stadium that became filled with bandwagon jumpers and corporate tools.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Why do you assume they are bandwagon jumpers? Perhaps they are just smart fans. I can root for a team and not show up to a single game – as I do many years being a Yankee fan in the middle of Central Illinois which is 4 hours from the nearest AL stadium.

Maybe the stadium was empty because the teams weren’t any good and the smart fans (or bandwagon jumpers as you say) didn’t want to waste their hard earned cash on going to watch a bad product.

Don’t get me wrong – there were a lot of bandwagon fans in the late 90′s – but just because someone doesn’t show up to the stadium everyday doesn’t make them one.

• stuckey says:

I offer no criticism of fans not choosing to attend games.

As I say, I’m just seeing through the sympathetic mythology that’s built over the new Stadium.

There was a corporate crowd there goosing attendance ALL through the late 90′s up to the peak of 2008, ESPECIALLY in the postseason.

Let’s not pretend that doubling of attendance came solely from the “real fan” crowd.

If we’re going to give a pass to the fans who don’t go to games when the team isn’t go good (which I’m fine with), then I’m not going to blame the Yankees for trying to exploit the market when they’ve put a winning product on the field for 20 consecutive years now.

8. qwerty says:

I will always remember Armando Benitez in yankee pinstripes.

9. Jersey Joe says:

It’s a shame that during the 2013 season, with the team doing so poorly, that we couldn’t have a bench-clearing brawl just to bring some excitement to the summer.

• forensic says:

So more people on the team get injured and suspended and we have to watch even more crappy players out there?

• nyyankfan_7 says:

During the summer they were in the thick of the wildcard race – sorry you only enjoy 114 win teams that blow out the division.

10. Dale Mohorcic says:

Yankees had a hell of a pitching staff that year.

11. Pseudoyanks says:

Best thing was the homer in the next at bat.

12. Brew Crew says:

“Darryl Strawberry is on the mound!” Classic Singleton

13. Alkaline says:

Man. I remember watching this at 10 years old. I’m sure we all have our moments to why we’re Yankee fans, but Tino was the reason for me bleeding pinstripes as a child.

I can’t imagine what it’s going to feel like watching these videos in 40 years.

• Bob Buttons says:

Maybe you’ll be watching it from some kind of fancy gadget that’s not even been invented yet in a file format that’s not even thought of yet from a location that’s not even visitable by the general public yet.

14. vicki says:

tino. what a dreamboat.

15. Holy Ghost says:

Benitez had roid-rage

16. Now Batting says:

@ 2:02 is that Strawberry on the bottom of the screen who looks like he clocked Benitez off screen?

17. nsalem says:

Always loved watching Harold Baines hit and hoped he would be a Yankee one day. He hit very well against the Yanks. Had a career OPS of .820 but .860 vs Yankees. There were a couple of years he absolutely destroyed us 1.247 OPB in 1984 and .984 OPB.

• nsalen says:

.984 OBP in 1985

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

Yeah, he had one sweet stroke.

Also, I played high school ball against his son in Maryland and actually got to meet him( Harold Sr. that is). I’m pretty sure the white sox drafted him a few years later. Not sure if he ever played professionally though.

• nsalem says:

What a treat. From watching him over his long career he seemed like a great person who really enjoyed playing the game. He wound up with 2866 career hits despite some serious knee issue that plagued him throughout his career. He was a DH a good part of his career and probably would have had a another 300 or 400 hits if he had remained healthy. Great clutch hitter, his career numbers with RISP and Men On Base exceeded his overall career numbers,

• Wicomico Pinstripes says:

I always felt like he was a pretty clutch player but I decided to look it up.

He had an impressive .839(.379/.460) OPS with RISP compared to an OPS of .813(.347/.466) with no RISP. As you can see, he garnered a lot of respect with 185 IBB and 612 walks overall in just over 3200 PA’s with RISP.

18. hey now says:

Back when the Yankees kicked ass. Those were great times.

19. Fernando says:

Benitez was such a punk. Hated that he later wore Pinstripes. They should have waited for him in the locker when he was acquired to beat the crap out of him.

20. Deep Thoughts says:

Nelly, Wells, Straw, Rock, Graeme Lloyd (!?), even Girardi–what I wouldn’t give to see a little fire like that on this roster. Maybe Carsten Charles passes muster.

That punk Dempster hitting A-Rod still pisses me off. That shit wouldn’t go unanswered.

21. Nathan says:

You know it’s serious when the bullpen comes running out. It’s like the calvary coming in.

Randy Johnson. The whole thing was “meh”. A couple years too late as he wasn’t the dominant ace he was but he was an OK #4, I guess. My only real standout memories of him were the camera pushing incident and him getting KO’d by the Angels in the playoffs.

Benitez, guy was a bum. Seeing him in pinstripes never sat well with me.

• forensic says:

One of my memories of Johnson is him going 5-0 against the Red Sox in 2005.

Unfortunately, I also remember him getting smacked around by them (and most teams) in 2006.

22. Scully says:

What everyone forgets is after the commotion died down, Tim Raines came up and hit another bomb!

Also, Tim Raines is a HOFer.

• Deep Thoughts says:

Agreed.

Also, The Boss’s comments afterward: “[AL president Gene Budig] may say he wants Peter Angelos and I to go three rounds and settle it. I’m ready.” — Yankees owner George Steinbrenner

23. ryan says:

This is when the Yankee teams had heart and each others back. Now they are to worried about the consequence. They nees that fire back and hopefully McCann brings it.

• Nathan says:

Been that way for a while. Especially against the Red Sox. A Yankee gets hit and NOBODY on the RS gets hit. BS man…

24. dkidd says:

how many games before mccann instigates a brawl? i’ll go with 30

25. RetroRob says:

Graeme Lloyd’s finest moment as a Yankee. I’m quite sure he would have kicked Benetiz’s butt, who was on the run at that point.

26. John C says:

Knicks whipped the Heat, and Woodson finally took a stand with JR Smith. Knicks finest hour so far this lousy season

27. LarryM Fl says:

As a fan of the sport of boxing, not one of the them would make the under card of any fight. But it was good to see a TEAM out there defending the guys who they spend 8 months of their life every year crossing the nation playing baseball.

I believe CC got Big poppy in return for Arod. You have to forget the player Martinez or Arod. You ware the same uniform. It is a eye for an eye.

28. Frank M. says:

If you look at Tino’s stats, they started going down after that he gets plunked. He was never the same at the plate after Benitez whacks him in the back.