Feb

FOX announces 2014 broadcast schedule, reduced blackout restrictions

FOX released their 2014 broadcast schedule on Thursday and the Yankees will be featured at least eleven times this season, thrice on FOX and eight times on the new FOX Sports 1 channel. Some late September dates are still TBA.¬†Maury Brown has the full schedule, if you’re curious.

More important that the broadcast schedule are the new blackout rules. MLB Extra Innings and MLB.tv subscribers will now be able to watch most out-of-market Saturday FOX games, though there are still a few restrictions based on local broadcasting rights. In the past you were stuck with whatever game was showing on television, so this is a very welcome change. Very good news for you out of town fans.

Categories : Asides

1. Brian says:

Great news, about time.

2. Frank says:

THANK GOD. Living in TN sucks. Seriously. No one gives a shit about the Braves except Duronio.

3. jjyank says:

I usually didn’t get too screwed with the blackouts. I live in DC, so not that far from NYC. It was usually a reasonable bet that the FOX game would be the Yankee game. But occasionally it wasn’t, so this is welcome news for myself and even more so for the folks that have (had? hopefully) it worse than I do.

4. Austinmac says:

That is good news. I live over 150 miles from two teams so I get blocked out frequently. Really stupid.

5. Hawkeye says:

Great news. MLB, in their wisdom, blacks out games from 6 teams where I live. With Fox blackouts I could have had as many as 8 games blacked out on a Saturday afternoon. Usually Fox did not show the Yankee games where I live, but they were blacked out anyway.

6. Eddardo Nuney says:

It’s about time they come to their senses about the blackout rules. If I’m in the midwest I get stuck with the Cubs or Cardinals every FOX game. I won’t watch those games anyway so might as well let me watch the Yanks on mlb.tv. It’s just common sense to provide more content to the fans.

7. forensic says:

Good news on the weakened restrictions. Some of the games against the West teams are often aired out here anyway, and now maybe I’ll finally get to see some of the games against East teams since they won’t be blacked out.

8. JAG says:

Living in CO fortunately means I’m not blacked out too often…except on the national broadcasts, so this is all good news. Now, if only they would let me listen to the radio broadcast over the TV announcers so I wouldn’t have to hear Tim McCarver…

9. mt says:

From reading the articles I still am not clear on exactly what will be blacked out or not. Suffice it to say hopefully I will get to see the national Saturday Yankee games when those games are not being aired over TV.

10. jim p says:

I assume Fox Sports 1 is on cable. So people who don’t get cable see even less with this arrangement, no?

11. yankeepowerhouse2014 says:

Great news from tennessee.

12. Richie Allen says:

And now for some really big news:

Carl Pavano announced his retirement today.

Retroactive to 2005,

13. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

So this is interesting, most of the Fox games have been shifted to Fox Cable.

Is it because of decline in ratings?

I wonder how MLB feels about losing a broadcast national game of the week.

On the positive side, no more McCarver

14. JPyankfan says:

I USED TO SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV UP UNTIL 3 YEARS AGO. I AM A YANKEE FAN AND I GOT TO WATCH MOST OF THEIR GAMES EXCEPT ON WEEKENDS AND THEY ALSO BLACKED OUT YANKEES GAMES WITH THE HOUSTON ASTROS AND TEXAS RANGERS BECAUSE THOSE ARE CONSIDERED THE “AREA TEAMS” WHERE I LIVE. ARLINGTON, TEXAS (WHERE THE RANGERS PLAY) IS OVER 300 MILES FROM WHERE I LIVE, AND I GUESS DIRECTV FIGURED BY BLACKING THOSE GAMES OUT, THAT WOULD MAKE DRIVER OVER TO SEE THEM. DIRECTV DID ME WRONG BY ANYBODY’S STANDARDS AND I WILL DISCOURAGE ANYBODY I CAN FROM PURCHASING THEIR SERVICE.

• RHYankeeFan says:

Um, I lived in San Antonio from 2007-2012, and while the FOX Saturday games were usually Rangers games – if they were on FOX – and blacked out the Yankees games that was an MLB rule, not DirecTV’s.

I only missed maybe 5 games a year at the very most. Sometimes it would happen on ESPN Sunday Night baseball as well…but again, that’s a MLB issue, not the channel itself.

Hopefully, this goes a long way towards fixing that.

15. tony says:

huh? I don’t know what you guys are talking about……