The winning streak is up to four. The Yankees beat the Nationals 4-2 on Monday afternoon thanks to an extended second inning rally against lefty Ross Detwiler. Kelly Johnson (double) and Corban Joseph (single) sandwiched run-scoring hits around a two-run error by shortstop Zach Walters. Johnson, Brett Gardner, Francisco Cervelli, and Zoilo Almonte all had doubles and all except Cervelli’s were to the opposite field. Zoilo and Cervelli had two hits apiece.
Here is the box score for this afternoon’s game. Ivan Nova looked very, very sharp in his three innings of work, striking out four and allowing only one base-runner (CoJo error). David Robertson hit a batter in an otherwise perfect inning in his spring debut and Shawn Kelley surrendered a solo homer in his inning. Danny Burawa looked good despite allowing a run because ground balls kept finding holes (or being bobbled for errors). Here’s the rest from Tampa.
- Mark Teixeira faced live pitching in batting practice for the first time, though he only took three swings from each side of the plate. Teixeira said the plan is the take more live batting practice the next two days before playing in Thursday’s game. [Bryan Hoch]
- CC Sabathia and Masahiro Tanaka both threw their regular between-starts bullpen sessions. Jose Campos and Manny Banuelos, who will hopefully get in a game soon because I want to see them pitch, threw live batting practice to Teixeira and others. [Chad Jennings]
- Alfonso Soriano (flu from hell) is feeling better and was able to get all his work in today. He is tentatively scheduled to play in Thursday’s game, Joe Girardi announced after the win. [Sweeny Murti]
- Derek Jeter will DH in tomorrow night’s game against the Orioles, the first time he’ll play back-to-back games this spring. Playing back-to-back games at short will be the real test. [Hoch]
- And finally, Andy Pettitte arrived in camp as a guest instructor and threw batting practice this morning. “There’s nothing in the works, I promise y’all,” he joked. [Dan Barbarisi]
This is your open thread for the evening. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, plus MLB Network will re-air a Spring Training game later tonight. This afternoon’s win over the Nats is not being replayed anywhere. Use this thread to talk about whatever you like. Have at it.