Jun

Topkin: Yankees had extra scouts watch David Price recently

12:16pm: Buster Olney (subs. req’d) says the Rays are prepared to trade Price “right now,” though no deal is imminent. He is very much on the market.

12:00pm: Via Marc Topkin: The Yankees were among several teams to have high level/additional scouts watch David Price’s start last week. The southpaw struck out 12 while allowing two runs in eight innings against the Astros. He has double-digit strikeouts in four straight starts. Tampa has the worst record in all of baseball and figures to sell off some pieces before the trade deadline next month.

Price, 28, has pitched to a 3.81 ERA (3.02 FIP) with an absurd 133/23 K/BB in 16 starts in 115.2 innings this season. He’ll earn $14M this year and remain under team control as an arbitration-eligible player next year. The Yankees need another starter and the fit is obvious, right? Price isn’t just an ace-caliber performer, but he’s also AL East tested and a proven workhorse. Would the Rays trade him within the division? I’m guessing yes if the price is right (pun unintended). Do the Yankees have the pieces to meet that price (pun intended)?

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Mark L. says:

Are we sure they weren’t there to watch Erik Bedard warm up in the bullpen? He seems more Cashman’s speed.

2. Raza says:

What would the Rays want though?

Gary Sanchez – Luis Severino – Rob Refsnyder = Another piece

???

There were reports that the Dodgers are interested as well. If they offer Pederson + Seager + Urias/Lee … We can’t match that.

• Preston says:

Seager is great. But he’s still in A ball and he’s going to have to move to 3b soon. Plus the Dodgers have said they’re unwilling to trade him. He’s definitely better than what we can offer. Lee has lost a lot of his luster at AAA and Severino is outpitching Urias. I just don’t see the Dodgers going all out for Price when they have Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett and Haren locked in.

3. TWTR says:

Can he play 3B too?

• TWTR says:

Just to clarify. If I am trading major prospects, it would be for young, high-end offensive players, not pitching.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

same here. I’m not trading the farm for 1.5 years of somebody, not even Price.

• Mike HC says:

Tough to bemoan long term contracts and also short term commitments at the same time though. This will give us an Ace at a reasonable price until he is 30. And give us the opportunity to flip him too, although the Yanks refuse to ever sell even though the new baseball landscape almost demands they change their ways.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I mean I’d trade for him … if he was that one guy that puts them over the top. Sadly this team doesn’t need that one guy, they need like 5. Add Price to this team and they’re still an average team.

• TWTR says:

Yup, it’s their multiple needs that makes overleveraging for one, particularly given the fragility of pitchers, so misguided.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Exactly. Three infield spots are an absolute wreck, for starters.

• TWTR says:

And what if McCann and Beltran’s stats never regress to their respective mean (I’m not saying that will happen, only that it could). Do they continue to pretend that they will hit at some future date to be determined, or do they eventually seek replacements, some of which could be used in any rumored trade.

• Preston says:

Well I’d hold onto Murphy, because he’s closer to the big league team and Sanchez probably has more trade value. So we’d have a fine back up solution for McCann (although I’m not sure the team is willing to do it considering he’s signed for 5 years). And we have no ready replacement for Beltran, so we can’t trade them away.

• Preston says:

The Yankees are 1.5 games out of first place. Substituting David Price for Nuno is probably a 2-3 win upgrade. Also, I’ll bet on any team that gets to throw Tanaka and Price twice in a seven game series.

• Jack C says:

Really? You think price week only bring 2-3 more wins? I would say the way nuno is pitching, you’re looking at about an extra 6-7 wins and that would win the division.

4. BTG says:

So what are we talking? Sanchez, Judge and Severino? Maybe JR Murphy if they want someone ready? I can’t imageine a package that I wouldn’t agree to.

• JKK says:

Agree. I would also put in Clarkin in the mix. It would take 4-5 top Yanks prospects to get Price as a way to overpay. Severino, Clarkin, Sanchez, Judge and Austin. Your thoughts

• Preston says:

I’d probably say no to including both Sanchez and Murphy, I’d say no to including both Judge and Jagielo, and I’d say no to including both Severino and Clarkin. That way the team can maintain some C depth. Still have one polished college bat moving through the system and one high end pitcher left. But I’d probably bend the either or rule on one of those sets if it was make or break for the deal. I’ve also become attached to Refsnyder over the last two years, for most players I wouldn’t include him. But this is David Price.

• Cheval Anonyme says:

I’m going to say Sanchez, Judge, Severino, O’Brien and a throw-in. Could be SKJRM instead of Sanchez. Or Cervelli instead of the kid catcher and a better 5th player (Mason Williams or Austin, maybe?)

5. Scott says:

We could certainly offer quantity and definitely not quality. I would give them whatever they want, it has been proven that our prospects suck 90-95% of the time. Sanchez, Jagielo, Clarkin, Banuelos? That enough?

• Preston says:

Everybody always wants to offer quantity over quality. But trades like that never happen. Because GMs aren’t stupid. Even the ones that are dumber than the average GM aren’t objectively stupid.

• Scott says:

Yeah, dummy, I say quantity due to lack of quality

• Cheval Anonyme says:

Judge and Severino will probably make the BA top 100 next year, and Sanchez has been on it recently and hasn’t faded in value that much. So I don’t think there is a lack of quality there. Refsnyder will make it too, but the Yankees will not give him up due to lack of ANY other quality middle infielders at a high level.

• Bill says:

I would trade Romine,Campos,and Pinada for Price.
      or you could put a package of Johnson,Almonte, and Romine

6. I'm One says:

Nice to see them doing their due diligence with Price. Don’t know what the Rays will prioritize as far as a return for him goes, so maybe the Yankees have the pieces they want.

Not getting my hopes up, but at least they haven’t thrown in the towel yet. I’d be willing to give up a fair amoutn of young talent for 1.5 years of Price.

7. I am assuming they want close to ready talent along with high end prospects. Do the Yankees even have that?

Murphy, Sanchez, Judge, Servino, Clarkin? Even that probably is not enough.

If you are going to give up the farm for someone, David Price is it.

• ALZ says:

If your going to give the farm up for someone, I want more than 1.5 years of team control. Of someone already making $14MM.

• What does his salary have anything to do with his abilities to pitch? I guess I missed the report stating that the Yankees are now owned by the Wilpons. (God Forbid!)

Who else is out there that is on the same level of pitching ability and don’t you dare say Samarzdja.

Felix – not happening
        Kershaw – HAHAHAAH LOLZ
        Sale – not happening
        Darvish – not happening
        Wainwright – not happening

I did not list Scherzer since 1) its not going to happen and 2) your complaint that you would want someone with more than 1.5 years old control.

So Price is above and beyond the best pitcher available, you are damn right I would give up the farm for that.

• ALZ says:

Because he will be making close to $20MM next year. You trading the farm, and at the same time you have quite a bit less to spend on free agency next winter.

• Preston says:

Why would a team trade a good player with more than 1.5 years of team control? Most teams try to at least appear like they want to compete. They don’t trade young players in their pre-arb years.

• Dave M says:

Did you miss the part about them having the worst record in baseball?

• Preston says:

Even the worst teams in baseball don’t trade cheap young players until expense or pending FA forces them. Jason Castro is still an Astro. Giancarlo Stanton is still a Marlin. The Cubs aren’t shopping Rizzo. They’re shopping expensive rentals.

• Cheval Anonyme says:

I don’t agree your offer isn’t enough. It’s only 1.5 years of Price, and he’s not a flawless player. Sanchez, Judge and Severino is an excellent trio of A prospects, and the Yankees have some intriguing players to round it out.

8. Tony Moschetti says:

“Yankees had extra scouts watch David Price recently”
    Let’s hope these are not the same scouts that recommended McCann, Beltran, Roberts, Kelly Johnson, Travis Hafner, Brent Lillibridge, Chris Nelson, Ben Francisco, Vidal Nuno, and the rest of the hitless wonders we’ve seen wearing Yankee uniforms last year and this year!

You CANNOT spend as much money as Cashman does, and put such a terrible team on the field. Can you Imagine the A’s lineup if Cashman was the one spending the $80 million. He’d only have FOUR players!

9. The Great Gonzo says:

I can not think of one Yankee (majors or minors) not named Tanaka that I would hesitate on giving in a trade for David Price. Not one. Everyone not wearing #19 is available.

10. J-Loco says:

The simple answer is forget about it. We do not have anything close to what it would take to land Price. We should move on and find guys that will be one year fillers like Mike said yesterday. Think Ian Kennedy as a best case scenario.

• Grit for Brains says:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Kennedy > all non-Tanaka Yankee starters, though I do understand the trepidation about bringing back a pitcher who had an undistinguished first stint as a Yankee (i.e., Javy Vazquez).

11. OldYanksFan says:

Might I state the obvious:
    If we clean out the farm of ONE player, we will NEVER get YOUNGER!

I’d love Price…. but we have been down this road before.
    Let’s remember that the Dynasty was build on the backs of FIVE homegrown players. George’s checkbook can supplement like crazy, but we can NOT get back to our winning ways without developing a number of positions on our own!

Also, Cot’s has Price signed through this year only.
    What’s the deal on the 2nd year?

• Ed says:

Price is in his arbitration years now. He can’t be a free agent until after next season.

• Preston says:

If you’re waiting for 5 players like that to roll out of the system anytime soon again you’re foolish. Prospects are an uncertain commodity. When you can get an elite guy like Price, you do it. I’d love to keep Refsnyder and Murphy as both seem ready to be impact MLB players, but I’m not going to hug them hard enough to prevent a David Price trade.

12. waldman's beard says:

oh please oh please oh please oh please

13. Vern Sneaker says:

Whether we have the trade pieces to get him is beyond me, but for sure I’d do the trade if we can. It’s probably the only available trade worth making at the expense of the farm system. The goal is to make the playoffs. Even with such an ordinary team this year, we have a surprising shot at that because of parity around the league. Price might well be the difference maker, and once you’re in the playoffs pitching becomes the key. With Price and Tanaka on the staff we could conceivably go the whole way even though for sure we wouldn’t be the best team on paper going in.

• This.

Price and Tanaka would easily be the best 1-2 in All of baseball. Having them potentially pitch 4 out 7 games in a series is huge. You don’t have to have the best team on paper going into the playoffs, just get to the playoffs and go from there. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. Do people really want the Yankees to be sellers and have the team suck for many years to possibly win a championship with “YOUNG PLAYRZZZZZ” I laugh at each and every one of you people.

• FIPster Doofus says:

“Price might well be the difference maker, and once you’re in the playoffs pitching becomes the key.”

Offense is every bit as key. Even with Tanaka and Price, the Yankees would have a hard time doing much damage if they continue to not score. Their hitting is pathetic.

14. Jake says:

Actually, Price’s numbers are even more insane: He has 13BB, not 23.

15. willie w says:

a comment from sporting news:

At some point, the Phillies will have to retool. There are too many veterans being paid above their production level, and not nearly enough young stars ready to take their place. Most Phillies fans hoped 2014 would be that year, so the rebuilding process could begin.

the yanks keep falling into this trap

signing beltran was a foolish move
    and ells is way over paid

• John says:

I agree 3 yrs for Beltran was silly and 3. Years for Brendan Ryan was absurd and throw in Matt Thornton you are stuck with three players that will never help win a championship. Now, if you trade for Price with the best players in your farm, Price better be willing to sign on long term ,otherwise you are worse off then you are now.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Ryan and Thorton are both 2 year deals, and neither make enough money that cutting them is an issue.

Bitch about Carlos Beltran all you want but he’s coming around quickly and by year end I think everyone will be super happy he was on this team. Let’s worry about the 3rd year of the deal 1.5 years from now.

16. Yankeefan91 says:

Trade the whole farm for all i care we all know what Price can do and he has done it in the AL East.

1.Price
    2.Tanaka
    3.Sabathia
    4.Kuroda
    5.Pineda

IF Healthy This Rotation Is WOW.

• Cheval Anonyme says:

3. Sabathia– can’t cut it anymore. Needs to re-learn to pitch to be even average.
      4. Kuroda– badly faded. A #5 at this point.
      5. Pineda– far from proven. I would be happy with him as a #5 with quite a lot of upside. But see 3 and 4, above.

Agree that rice is great, but a. it’s 1.5 years, and b. the Yankees do not look one player away from a championship contender, this year or next.

In the best case scenario in 2015, where ALL of the uncertainties work out–Pineda, Beltran, ARod at 3rd, Refsnyder, McCann actually hitting , Sabathia as a decent #4– they still need 2 starters, a SS and a RF/slugging dH. And chances are only 3-4 of the 6 play out, so they are gonna need to add six-seven players.

17. Joe Pepitone's hair dryer says:

. IF they start hitting and Pineda comes back at pine tar performance level…in the playoffs this rotation looks very promising: Tanaka …Price…Kuroda…Pineda …. With Betances and Robertson in the bull pen… (Yeah also if Kuroda take his b 12 shots to get him through end of year)

18. JLC 776 says:

Said a million times already, but I sure hope to God that the Yankees are also pursuing options to help their near-league-worst offense.

19. Frank says:

LOL. The chances of Price being traded to Yanks are as likely as Lebron joining the Knicks. Stop dreaming- ain’t happening.

20. Also everyone wants to talk about The 90s dynasty like its such an easy and achievable thing. Do you know why the Yankees were able to get all those homegrown players? They were terrible for many many years. They were not the Yankees they are today, they were not coming off of a historic run of being in World Series 6 out of 8 years and won 4 of them. Its such an impossible standard to live up to. The Yankees are who they are now because of it. You want the team to start being the 2008-2013 Rays? Then go root for the Rays and get the fuck out. Could the Yankees be better at drafting and developing players, of course, but in order to compete and makes the playoffs every single year there is a cost. It not like Reysnyder is Robinson Cano in the minors waiting, he is probably a serviceable 2B but would I hold on to him for Price, fuck no. As a fan of my team, I can appreciate the front office doing whatever it is they can do to make the team a perennial playoff contender. Not being happy because the team isn’t winning the way you want them to win is fucking stupid and shows how spoiled us Yankees fans have really become.

Rant fucking over.

• Kosmo says:

so then NY has Tanaka and Price. No offense, no power, bad INF defense, inflated longterm contracts. You give up the farm for a SP who´s pitched to a 3.81 ERA this season and has been very league average. What´s he got 0.8WAR ? IMO NY needs to look elsewhere.

• You have to believe that Beltran and McCann and to a sense Ellsbury will figure it out eventually, or short of trading for Mike Trout no amount of offensive upgrade will make the team better. The guys they have need to start being better, Period. No team is perfect, but even with all those negatives as you listed the Yankees are still just 2.5 games back of the division. Need to stop acting like this team are sitting in the AL East basement. This team needs an impact starting pitcher more than anything right now.

• Yanks says:

If by 0.8, you mean 2.5, yes… Price is one of the best pitchers in the game, he might have a big contract after he signs, but he’s the kind of guy who is worth it…

21. Leg-End says:

I’d be all in for this one, be nice to hold onto Refsnyder though given he might be ready to help pretty soon.

22. Max says:

It would have to be the farm and that still probably isn’t enough.

Refsnyder, Sanchez, Severino, Judge and Murphy sounds somewhat fair

23. Kosmo says:

I´d be OK with Hammel as an option. As others have mentioned improving the offense would go along way to strengthening the overall makeup of this team. Seth Smith, Alex Rios, Valbuena and a few others come to mind.

24. Dan G says:

The good thing is there are plenty of precedents for a Tampa ace being traded prior to free agency.

Matt Garza + 2 guys: Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee & Brandon Guyer + Chorinos & Fuld

James Shields & Wade Davis: Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery & Patrick Leonard

I just don’t see the Yankees having the pieces to even talk. They certainly don’t have anyone in the upper levels that would compete with the Shields deal and Price will probably fetch even more than that.

• Preston says:

The Myers trade was universally panned, and Shields was under control for two full seasons at a more affordable price. Sanchez, Severino + would be about equal to the Garza trade. Obviously Price will demand more.

25. Robert says:

Id be more excited if the report was that the Tampa Scouts were at our Minor league cities!
    Once again you dont empty the farm unless your getting Cargo or Stanton!

26. Balt Yank says:

I would rather grow the farm and grow the team. I don’t really see a package that would work for the Rays even if we gave them any 5 they wanted. Here’s what the Rays might want: J.R. Murphy, David Phelps, Killer B, one or two more top prospects. Unless Yanks offer something of value, there is no trade here. Killer B is the only prospect of value we have.

27. EndlessJose says:

I like Price and think in the post season Tanaka-Price would be a great force and it gives us two guys and leaves CC as a number 3 guy which he is now.

I rather have Hammel’s and one of those young infielders like Baez who might be expendable as Castro has been great this year.

28. Bo Knows says:

Not going to happen, Rays don’t do trades within the division

• Preston says:

Teams generally don’t do trades within the division (it sometimes happens but usually involves a perrenial last place team, I don’t think the Rays view themselves that way). But I think Friedman realizes that it’s hard to claim max value for Price because he’s so expensive. Especially when one LA team has a rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett and Dan Haren and the other has a farm system universally considered the worst in baseball. You need to bring the Yankees into the fold if only to drive up the price for some of the small market teams that will balk on price. But I doubt they actually pull the trigger on a Yankee deal.

29. Tanaka 2014 Cy Young says:

Andrew Marchand @AndrewMarchand · 4h

Those always asking about Cashman’s status, all indications are Yankees will want him back after his contract expires at end of year.

30. Jessica says:

I’ve called this as a good fit since Nova went down I say if we need to give up Soriano even Ichiro or money it’s worth it we need this pitching!!!!

31. Mike says:

We have a great chance to grab him. Nobody else can offer the collection of prospects we can offer.

• Preston says:

There are plenty of teams that could offer more prospects. What makes us unique is the need for him, the money to afford to pay him, and the prospects necessary to make it happen.

32. Kevin G. says:

We might offer up every single prospect in our farm system and still might not have enough.

33. Andrew J. says:

Would the pot of prospects, whomever they are, be sweetened if the Yanks threw in Betances? Would you give him up?

34. tommy cassella says:

back up the truck. there’s a lot of dead wood on the damn yanks.

35. willie w says:

if price is giving up shy of 4 runs per game
    and the yanks score 2 runs or even 3 runs a game
    how many will price win ?

36. willie w says:

And while Olney noted that Price’s velocity has gotten better, there’s a catch to that. He did go from an average of 92.1 in March/April to 93.6 in May, but he is back down to 93.1 in June. Outside of May, he has indeed been working with career-worst fastball velocity in 2014.

37. Joe says:

I would jump at the chance to get price. If I were the Yankees I would just pick up more international players to cover the traded players.