Jun

Tuesday Night Open Thread

The Yankees are out in Seattle to play the Mariners later tonight, so use this as your open thread until the regular game thread comes along in a few hours. The Mets are playing, plus MLB Network will air a game as well. Who you see depends on where you live. Game Three of the NBA Finals will also be on. Talk about those games or anything else right here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Yanksinfirst says:

Mike, technical question. Is there a way to make the threads refresh automatically? It becomes tedious to continuously refresh the page

2. Fernando says:

Refsnyder promoted to AAA

• Matt says:

He singled in his first at bat

• Yankee$ says:

Grabbed a knock on his first AB.

• I'm One says:

We must all be baseball player development geniuses. We’ve been saying they should do this for weeks. The Yanks should hire us all (I’ll sign for $250k, thank you) :-)

• The Other Matt says:

I thought coming into this season that if Refsnyder performed well at AA, and possibly with a promotion to AAA in the second half of the season, that he could play his way into the 2B job next spring, or at least sometime next season. But with him now being promoted to Scranton already, if he continues to swing the bat well and progress defensively at 2B, he may very well see time this season in the majors before season’s end, a la John Ryan Muphy last season (then known as JR). Brian Roberts is what he is at this point in his career – and I’m not knocking him for that – and there is no guarantee that he’ll be able to stay healthy for the duration of 162 game season. It has been somewhat of a surprise that he has been able to stay healthy to this point. But if Refsnyder continues his hot streak in AAA then Roberts health might not really matter, he may very well force the organization’s hand to promote him. At the least, I think now we could realistically see Refsnyder come September call-ups, although he is yet to be on the 40-man roster.

• Yankee$ says:

September callup would be awesome. I’ll take that. Let him come to Spring Training with a chance to make the team. That would be great!

3. kenthadley says:

Can anyone explain optional waivers? A note today said that Cahill was on optional waivers, indicating that nobody could claim him. It doesn’t make sense to me. I would think putting anyone on waivers would expose them to being claimed by other teams.

4. mustang says:

FIPster Doofus says:
    June 10, 2014 at 4:54 pm
    He’s a menace. We need to start having some serious Jeter control discussions in this country. Otherwise it’s just gonna keep getting worse.

TOTALLY AGREE!

Jeter and his greed reminds me of another american icon gone bad.

WE NEED TO DEAL WITH JETER IN THE SAME WAY!

5. fred robbins says:

There is no one in the organization with the balls to say or do anything about Jeter. They have their tongues collectively up his hiney.

It’s pretty remarkable, that even outside of Jeter showing his true colors, that Girardi will not make any other changes either while Cash continues to sign ageing old stars who he hopes and prays will hit a little. This is no way to run an organization and Girardi’s continued mantra after losses are just sickening and a disgrace.
    It is really not possible to think any team at the major league level could go 1-17 with RISP in one game. It’s truly inconceivable as someone said in The Princess Pride– perfect movie for our Princess at ss.
    I doubt anyone has any high expectations anymore for this season or even the next few– and to say that about the Yankees is pretty sad for a team that claims to have a goal each year of being in the World Series.

6. Pinedamaybegreata(formerlyMonterowasdinero) says:

The Yankee brand and Jeter brand go a long way for the majority of casual baseball fans. Only the Rabbers know the seriousness of our precipitous decline. Well the leadership does too but….

The non-Yankee fandom ain’t shedding any tears….

7. Yanksinfirst says:

A couple weeks ago I was discussing the idea of trading for Ross Detwiler. He could be a legitimate replacement for NuNO. He hast 4th starter stuff but got pushed back to the bullpen because he is on the Nationals, and well, their rotation is awesome. He’s under team control next year and could suffice until Nova returns. Can’t take that much to get him. Would need to be stretched out but seems awesome to me.

• forensic says:

No way I want Detwiler.

• Yanksinfirst says:

Why not? He had excellent numbers less than two years ago and his numbers this year may not be great but he is still solid. Honestly what would it take to get him. Regardless he has to be better than NuNO. Seriously though, what would it take to get him? What, a package around Bryan Mitchel oughta do it, no?

8. Jack says:

Refsnyder in the lineup for SWB tonite

9. mustang says:

With Jetergate Scandal now completely out of control the firing of Cashman and Girardi should just be the start. MLB should follow the NBA’s Sterling example and force the Steinbrenners to sell the team.
    Regardless of the fact that Yankees lost 3 starting pitchers, are horrible defensively and have 3 to 4 other key players that have done jack shit offensively the Steinbrenners must sell because of Jetergate.

10. Preston says:

This is the first time in a while that there has been a legitimately interesting starting pitcher going at all levels for the Yankees. Greene, Mitchell, Sulbaran and Clarkin. The Yankees definitely needed the infusion of pitching they got in this draft.

• RetroRob says:

It will be great when Hensley is finally pitching. He’s getting close.

• Preston says:

It’s hard to get too excited about a 20 yo going to SI. I’ll wait to get excited until after he has been healthy and effective enough to earn a spot in a full season rotation.

11. RetroRob says:

I suggested several years back that Refsnyder should be promoted. I was attacked as a troll, an Eddard, and worst of all, a burrito killer.

I have been vindicated.

Just had to get that out of the way.

• mustang says:

Its bad when you get attacked by the Troll Master himself.

• forensic says:

Several years back?

• RetroRob says:

I was trying to be a bit extreme so it was obvious I wasn’t serious. Yet, there are people who will actually believe they’re vindicated because they wanted Refsnyder promoted weeks back, ignoring everything else that has to happen with it.

• ALZ says:

Yea. You look around the league, and even the really top prospects, most of them are getting a minimum of 200 PA at every level.

• Yankee$ says:

Who cares about vindication. I just want the kid to rake in AAA.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Commenter #1: “THEY NEED TO PROMOTE REFNSYDER!!!!”

Commenter #2: “I’m sure it’s their intention.”

Commenter #1: “WHY DON’T YOU WANT THEM TO PROMOTE REFSNYDER AS MUCH AS I DO?!?!”

12. forensic says:

Juan Nicasio allowed 7 runs in the top of the 1st inning to the Braves. Determined to show he’s just as good, Mike Minor has loaded the based with no outs in the bottom of the 1st.

Just another pitcher’s duel in Colorado…

13. scooter says:

I know there’s a bit difference in averages and overall productivity but who would have predicted this at the beginning of the year. You think Robbie is missing the YS left field porch?

Robinson Cano – 257 AB’s / 2 HR’s
    Brian Roberst – 203 AB’s / 2 HR’s

14. scooter says:

I know Robbie is still having a great season, hitting .330/.381/.421 but the slugging percentage is well below his career average.

15. Farewell Mo says:

RIP Bob Welch. What a shame to die at 57.

I remember the 2 ABs vs my all time favorite player, Reggie Jackson in the 78 WS like it was yesterday. Probably 2 of the more memorable in WS history.

16. Yanksinfirst says:

Well, Refsnyder has 2 hits today already…

17. scooter says: