Meanwhile, the rest of the Yankees lost 3-2 to the Tigers on the road. Bryan Mitchell was charged with all three runs in five innings. He struck out six. Kyle Davies followed him with three perfect innings. No, really. The Yankees only had five hits as a team, including two each by Slade Heathcott and John Ryan Murphy. Eddy Rodriguez had the other hit. Not much else to see in this one. Here’s the box score and video highlights for that game, and here’s the rest from Spring Training:
- In case you missed it earlier, the Yankees announced another round of roster cuts that all but confirm Chasen Shreve, Chris Martin, and Gregorio Petit will be on the Opening Day roster. The team hasn’t made anything official though. There are still 32 players in big league camp.
- Ivan Nova (Tommy John surgery) will throw a 45-pitch bullpen session tomorrow and could begin facing hitters next week. He’ll remain in Tampa to rehab after the team leaves for the regular season. Carlos Beltran was scratched from today’s home game with flu-like symptoms and won’t play tomorrow. Brendan Ryan (calf) will go to New York with the team and return to Tampa when he’s ready to resume working out. [Bryan Hoch, Marly Rivera, Brendan Kuty]
- Joe Girardi said the staff will discuss the closer situation tomorrow. They might not pick a backup catcher until Saturday. “It’s a decision we probably won’t make until Saturday night,” he said. I take that as they need more time to work out a trade for Romine. [Dan Barbarisi, Rivera]
- Apparently the Yankees have hired a second bullpen coach. I thought it was a second bullpen catcher at first, but no, it’s a second bullpen coach. Anyway, the new coach is Kyle Arnsberg, son of ex-Yankee Brad Arnsberg. Kyle is only 24! [George King]
- Petit has reported to the team following last night’s trade and it turns out his dad is a big Yankees fan. This must be a cool experience for them. Slade Heathcott will start the season with Triple-A Scranton following his strong spring. [Chad Jennings]
- And finally, the Yankees announced Joe Torre will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the season opener Monday afternoon. Neat.
Here is your open thread for the evening. This afternoon’s home game against the Pirates will be replayed on YES at 7pm ET, and MLB Network will show both Red Sox-Twins and Athletics-Giants live tonight. The (hockey) Rangers and Islanders are both playing as well. Talk about those games or anything else right here.