Nathan Eovaldi made it really easy to see why everyone loves his arm. Throws hard, broke off some nasty sliders and at least one nasty splitter (GIF). He allowed a run on two hits in two innings and Erik Boland spoke to a scout who had Eovaldi up to 98 mph. Andrew Miller struck out two in an inning in his spring debut while Danny Burawa, Wilking Rodriguez, and Tyler Webb all struck out one in their perfect innings of work. Here’s the box score, here’s the rest of the video highlights, and here’s everything else that happened in Tampa today:
- Masahiro Tanaka threw a bullpen session and had no problems. He will reportedly make his Grapefruit League debut next Thursday — “Whenever they want me to go, I will be ready to go,” he said — but Joe Girardi declined to confirm any plans. Tanaka will throw a simulated game sometime between now and his first start. [Marly Rivera, Chad Jennings]
- In addition to Tanaka, Chris Capuano and Domingo German threw bullpen sessions. Jose DePaula threw a simulated game. Vicente Campos threw a 25-pitch all fastball bullpen yesterday as he works his way back from Tommy John surgery. [Jennings]
- Carlos Beltran will make his Spring Training debut in Friday’s game and will play right field. Brendan Ryan took the day off after feeling some soreness following yesterday’s workout. He’s on his way back from a mid-back sprain. [Dan Barbarisi, Jennings]
- Scott Baker will start Saturday’s game. As a reminder, Esmil Rogers is starting tomorrow and then Bryan Mitchell and Capuano will start Friday’s split squad games. [Jennings]
- In addition to Rogers, Chase Whitley, Chasen Shreve, Jacob Lindgren, John Ryan Murphy, Austin Romine, Greg Bird, Garrett Jones, Rob Refsnyder, Jacoby Ellsbury, Aaron Judge, and Brett Gardner will make the trip to Bradenton to play the Pirates tomorrow. The game won’t be broadcast anywhere. [Jennings]
Here is your open thread for the evening. This afternoon’s game will not be rebroadcast anywhere but MLB Network is replaying the White Sox and Dodgers later tonight, if you’re really desperate for baseball. The Rangers, Knicks, and Nets are also playing, and there’s some college basketball on as well. Have at it.