Archive for Minors
Just as a heads up, tomorrow will be the final DotF of the season since none of the full season affiliates nor Short Season Staten Island made the postseason. The Arizona Fall League begins in early-October.
Triple-A Scranton‘s game was suspended due to rain in the top of the eighth inning. They’ll finish it tomorrow. Here’s the box score if you can’t wait that long.
Double-A Trenton (4-2 loss to Reading)
- RF Jake Cave: 1-4, 1 BB, 1 K
- LF Ben Gamel: 1-5, 2 K — had been in a 4-for-37 (.108) slump
- C Gary Sanchez: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
- DH Greg Bird: 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K
- CF Mason Williams: 3-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB — great game, but a little too late to turn his season around
- RHP Jaron Long: 6.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 10/0 GB/FB — 66 of 100 pitches were strikes … finishes the year with a 2.18 ERA and a 122/22 K/BB in 144.1 innings, third most in the system behind RHP Zach Nuding (153) and LHP Matt Tracy (149) … not bad at all for an undrafted free agent
- LHP James Pazos: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/3 GB/FB — 22 of 35 pitches were strikes (63%) … finishes the year with a 75/25 K/BB in 67 innings
Via Ken Rosenthal: The Yankees are unlikely to call up left-handed reliever and 2014 second round pick Jacob Lindgren in September due to workload and 40-man roster concerns. The team acquired Josh Outman on Thursday to upgrade over Rich Hill and add more lefty depth. Outman joins David Huff as Joe Girardi‘s two southpaw options in the bullpen.
Lindgren, 21, has already thrown 80 innings this year between college and pro ball. He’s reached Double-A and struck out 48 batters in 25 innings since signing, and a scout recently told John DeMarza that Lindgren could get big leaguers out right now. You don’t draft a reliever with your top pick unless you think he can get to the big leagues in a hurry, but Lindgren has already pitched a ton this year and the Yankees are facing a big 40-man crunch after the season. It would be disappointing if he isn’t called up when rosters expand but also understandable. I’d still expect Lindgren to come to big league camp next spring with a chance to win a bullpen job.
Triple-A Scranton (3-2 loss to Lehigh Valley in eleven innings, walk-off style) their season ends Monday and they’ve already been eliminated from postseason contention
- LF Chris Young: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K — if Jacoby Ellsbury‘s ankle injury turns out to anything more than a minor nuisance, Young might play more than originally expected come September
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 1-5, 2 K
- 1B Kyle Roller: 0-4, 1 BB, 3 K
- RF Zoilo Almonte: 1-4, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS
- DH Adonis Garcia: 1-5, 1 R, 2 K — quietest 21-game hitting streak ever thanks to a stint on the disabled list
- 3B Scott Sizemore: 1-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- C Austin Romine: 0-4, 2 K, 1 E (throwing)
- RHP Zach Nuding: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HB, 8/3 GB/FB — 63 of 93 pitches were strikes (68%)
- RHP Bryan Mitchell: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GB/FB, 1 E (throwing) — 23 of 38 pitches were strikes (61%) … finishes the minor league season with 94/45 K/BB in 103 innings … I assume he came out of the bullpen as a prep for that role come September
- RHP Chase Whitley: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GB/FB — 15 of 26 pitches were strikes (58%)
- LHP Taylor Dugas: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GB/FB — seven pitches, six strikes … always rough when a position player takes a loss
OF Jake Cave placed eighth on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet while 2B Gosuke Katoh made the No So Hot section.
Triple-A Scranton (6-5 loss to Lehigh Valley)
- SS Jose Pirela: 0-2, 1 K — left the game in the fourth for an unknown reason
- RF Chris Young: 1-4, 1 K
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 0-4, 1 K
- LF Ramon Flores: 0-2, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 1 E (fielding) — left the game in the eighth, a few innings after getting hit by the pitch
- 3B Scott Sizemore: 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K
- C John Ryan Murphy: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K — second homer in his last six games
- LHP Manny Banuelos: 4 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/4 GB/FB — 48 of 73 pitches were strikes (66%) … finishes the minor league season with a 71/31 K/BB in 76.2 innings
- LHP Tyler Webb: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GB/FB — 14 of 19 pitches were strikes (74%)
- RHP Preston Claiborne: 1 IP, zeroes, 0 K, 2/0 GB/FB — six pitches, three strikes
The Yankees have released both RHP Alfredo Aceves and IF Corban Joseph from Triple-A Scranton, according to Chad Jennings. Aceves was serving a 50-game suspension for a drug of abuse and was released as soon as he was eligible to be activated. Matt Eddy says they also released the just signed RHP Wilking Rodriguez. Maybe he was hiding an injury or something.
Triple-A Scranton (11-3 loss to Buffalo)
- SS Jose Pirela: 2-5, 1 K — 15-for-41 (.366) in his last ten games
- RF Chris Young: 1-4, 1 RBI, 2 K – first game since signing a minor league deal, and it’s no coincidence he’s playing right field
- 2B Rob Refsnyder & CF Zoilo Almonte: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Kyle Roller: 1-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — 9-for-14 (.643) in his last five games
- DH Ramon Flores: 0-3, 1 BB
- C John Ryan Murphy: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K
- RHP Chris Leroux: 2 IP, 9 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 2/2 GB/FB – 46 of 77 pitches were strikes (60%) … egads
- SwP Pat Venditte: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/3 GB/FB — 34 of 49 pitches were strikes (69%)
- RHP Chase Whitley: 1 IP, zeroes, 2/1 GB/FB – eight pitches six strikes
- RHP Preston Claiborne: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 11 of 17 pitches were strikes (65%)
Triple-A Scranton Game One (6-5 loss to Buffalo in seven innings) makeup of the April 25th rainout
- CF Jose Pirela & DH Ramon Flores: both 0-4 — Pirela struck out once, Flores twice
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
- 1B Kyle Roller: 1-3, 1 R
- 3B Scott Sizemore: 1-2, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 E (fielding) – 9-for-28 (.321) with three doubles and a homer in his last ten games
- LF Zoilo Almonte: 0-2, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- C John Ryan Murphy: 0-2, 1 RBI
- LHP Matt Tracy: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 8/5 GB/FB — 55 of 94 pitches were strikes (59%)
- LHP Tyler Webb: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GB/FB — 16 of 30 pitches were strikes (53%) … melted down in the seventh and started the five-run rally for the Bisons
- RHP Edgmer Escalona: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GB/FB — 10 of 15 pitches were strikes … allowed Buffalo to finish off the comeback
Via MLBTR: The Yankees were among the teams to scout Cuban left-hander Misael Siverio during a showcase event back in June. He is scheduled to throw for teams again on Friday, according to Jon Heyman. Siverio has already been declared a free agent by MLB and cleared by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, so he is free to sign at any time.
Siverio, 25, is a small guy listed at 5-foot-9. Heyman says he has a low-90s fastball with a “tight offspeed variation” that includes a curveball, a changeup, and a splitter. The recent history of Cuban defectors heavily favors position players, but both Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras (after he left the Yankees) had success in the big leagues not too long ago. The Yankees signed Cuban lefty Omar Luis to a $2.5M deal a few years ago and there’s no word on what kind of bonus Siverio is expected to command.
- In case you missed it, the Yankees are sending OF Tyler Austin, 1B Greg Bird, 3B Eric Jagielo, OF Aaron Judge, RHP Caleb Cotham, RHP Branden Pinder, RHP Alex Smith, and a catcher to be named later to the Arizona Fall League this year.
- 2B Jose Pirela and OF Jake Cave were named to the end-of-season Triple-A International League and High-A Florida State League All-Star Teams, respectively. These teams are a recognition of the best player at each position in the league.
Triple-A Scranton had a scheduled off-day.
Double-A Trenton (5-0 win over Akron)
- CF Jake Cave: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI — 9-for-18 in his last four games
- LF Ben Gamel: 0-4
- C Gary Sanchez: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K — picked a runner off second with a snap throw
- DH Dante Bichette Jr.: 0-4, 2 K — Double-A has not been too kind to him
- RF Mason Williams: 2-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K
- RHP Jaron Long: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 9/0 GB/FB – 116/22 K/BB in 132 innings for the hitting coach’s kid
- LHP Jacob Lindgren: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GB/FB — up to 48 strikeouts (and ten walks) in 24.2 pro innings
- RHP Mark Montgomery: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K
4:43pm: Norris says the Yankees are also sending a catcher to be named later to the AzFL. Maybe Kyle Higashioka after he missed the first half of the season following Tommy John surgery?
4:17pm: According to Josh Norris, the Yankees are sending OF Tyler Austin, 1B Greg Bird, 3B Eric Jagielo, OF Aaron Judge, RHP Caleb Cotham, RHP Branden Pinder, and RHP Alex Smith to play for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League after the season. I thought they might send LHP Manny Banuelos to continue pitching following Tommy John surgery, but it’s already been a long season for him. The AzFL season begins October 7th.
The Yankees are sending more top prospects to the desert this year than I can ever remember. Usually they only send one or two top prospects. Austin (wrist, groin), Bird (back), Jagielo (oblique), Pinder (groin), and Cotham (unknown) all missed several weeks due to injury this summer and will be making up for lost time. Pinder is Rule 5 Draft eligible this winter and the club probably wants some more time to evaluate him. Judge is the team’s best prospect and Smith has had a nice year out of the bullpen for High-A Tampa (2.40 ERA and 3.29 FIP). Great crop of players going to the AzFL this year.
Highlights of tonight’s Double-A Trenton game are in the video above. Here are two quick notes:
- The Yankees have signed RHP Wilking Rodriguez to a minor league deal, according to Matt Eddy. The 24-year-old was up with the Royals earlier this year (two innings) and had a 2.87 ERA (3.32 FIP) in 15.2 Triple-A innings before being released. Rodriguez hasn’t pitched much the last few years due to injuries.
- RHP Andy Beresford and 1B Bo Thompson have both been suspended 50 games after testing positive for an amphetamine, MLB announced. Beresford was with Low-A Charleston and Thompson was with the Rookie GCL Yanks after being the team’s 13th rounder this year.
Triple-A Scranton (4-2 loss to Rochester)
- RF Ramon Flores: 1-4, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K
- 2B Rob Refsnyder: 0-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K — five strikeouts and eight walks in his last six games
- 1B Kyle Roller: 2-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
- LF Zoilo Almonte & C Austin Romine: 0-4 — Romine allowed a passed ball
- 3B Scott Sizemore: 2-4
- RHP Bryan Mitchell: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 5/4 GB/FB — 54 of 91 pitches were strikes (59%) … he’s had a nice little run in Triple-A after only a handful of starts in Double-A
- RHP Preston Claiborne: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/4 GB/FB — 21 of 30 pitches were strikes (70%)