Got a couple notes to pass along:
- As expected, LHP Justus Sheffield was placed on the Triple-A Scranton disabled list, the team announced. The Yankees were always going to play it safe with him. He left last night’s start with shoulder tightness and today he told Conor Foley he feels fine. Manager Bobby Mitchell said the hope is Sheffield will only miss one start.
- The Yankees have signed IF Rey Navarro and assigned him to Triple-A Scranton, reports DJ Eberle. He takes Sheffield’s roster spot for the time being. The 28-year-old journeyman has been bouncing around Triple-A and independent ball the last few years. He got some big league time with the Orioles in 2015. Just a depth move with Cody Asche having been released and IF Thairo Estrada injured.
- OF Jeff Hendrix has been activated off the disabled list and assigned to Double-A Trenton, the team announced. Not sure what was wrong with him, but he got hurt late in Spring Training. OF Rashad Crawford was sent to Extended Spring Training to clear a roster spot. Crawford is hitting .179/.262/.232 (48 wRC+) so far this year. Eek.
- Double-A Trenton manager Jay Bell gave some scouting reports on his players to Randy Miller. The biggest piece of news: IF Kyle Holder fractured a vertebrae in Spring Training. Geez. He is expected to play later this year though.
The Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders were rained out. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on June 12th.
Double-A Trenton Thunder (6-4 win over Richmond)
- DH Trey Amburgey: 2-5, 1 2B, 2 RBI
- SS Abi Avelino: 2-4, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB — he’s been tearing the cover off the ball since he got here
- RF Jhalan Jackson: 1-4, 1 BB
- LF Gosuke Katoh: 1-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 SB — he’s basically the new Cito Culver, that organizational utility guy
- LHP Ryan Bollinger: 8 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 10/8 GB/FB — 72 of 94 pitches were strikes (77%)
- RHP Kaleb Ort: 0.1 IP, zeroes, 1 K — three pitches, three strikes … 23/8 K/BB in 14.1 innings for the former independent leaguer