Jul

I think Phil’s ready

Hughes’ line today in his final rehab start: 6.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K. He threw 57 of 91 pitches for strikes. Welcome back, Phil

Categories : Asides

1. NYFan50 says:

It is going to be great when next year we’ve got homegrown Wang, Hughes and Chamberlain in the rotation. I’m assuming we won’t see Kennedy as a fulltime MLB starter until 09, when we can add him and Santana (heh) to the rotation. That’ll be sick. :)

2. Ben K. says:

I would expect Kennedy to arrive some time next year. His first AAA start was a success, and there’s only so much he can learn throwing at AAA. So in sum, Kennedy’s ETA: 2008.

3. Stuart says:

trade the pen and bring up any of the ohlendorf, veras, ramirez, britton, whomever crew..

if the ycould get gagne cheap enough I would approve that move and Dotel if they give up 2nd tier talent..

4. Bill says:

You can’t get here soon enough Phil.

5. The Scout says:

I’s be very surprised to see the Yankees go into ’08 with two rookies in the rotation. Kennedy will likely make it next year at some point, but it will be to replace another injured starter.

6. NYFan50 says:

Right – Note I said “fulltime” starter. Next year the rotation is presumably Hughes, Wang, Mussina, Pettitte (exercises option) and Mystery Meat. I assume the Meat is Joba. So any starts Kennedy might get would be to fill in for injury.

7. Mike A. says:

Best part of Phil’s night that no one’s mentioning: 13-3 GB/FB ratio. Booya.

8. Mike A. says:

Oh, and I heard Ohlendorf was throwing 97 out of the pen. Double Booya.

9. NYFan50 says:

Mike, that is pretty sick. Do you see Ohlendorf in next year’s pen? And what do you think is Horne’s future/upside?

10. Motown Yankees Fan says:

Ohlendorf hit 97 bout of the pen? Maybe Gammons wasn’t having a senior moment with Michael Kaye after all.

11. Stuart says:

sell the pen scraps for draft picks or prospects and call up the likes of veras, ohlendorf, britton(when healthy), and others and screw it..

the guys they have will not succeed, no chance.. keep proctor, viz, and mariano and get rid of kyle, myers, bruney(send down do not rtrade), what the yhell.. marian, and viz at the end of the game, try Joba and see what he brings.

yeah the young guys are unproven true but I say so what, the guys they have stink and that will not change….

save $, get younger, with a ton more upside…sometimes you need to roll the dice. as is this pitching staff will not get it done. they also need Pranchise to pitch big else the starters are decent but that is it…..

12. Luddy Bazcej says:

gotta agree with stuart on that. the pen needs a shakeup and our guys in AAA are as good as anything we can put out there now short of mo and maybe viz.

13. Mac says:

That’s pretty exciting about Ohlendorf, if true.

I remember reading when the RJ trade happened that the Diamondbacks had forced him to drop his velocity as a starter so as to have better control, something he had major issues with early on in his career. The Dbacks reasoning I believe was that he was walking way too many guys to be effective in the long term and also, in general, they didn’t want him throwing with 100% effort.

However, he’s freaking huge and his coach at Princeton has described him ad nauseam as a “complete horse,” so I guess it really shouldn’t be a surprise that he can dial it up a bit.

14. [...] Whimsy (3) « I think Phil’s ready [...]