Aug

If Alex leaves, we will be compensated

Just read this bit over at Pete Abraham’s blog. It appears that should A-Rod opt out of his contract, the Yankees could (and by that, I mean will) offer him arbitration, thereby receiving a first rounder and a sandwich pick.

There has been much talk about this, and many people referred to the clause in Alex’s contract that says a team cannot offer him arbitration after the deal expires. Apparently — and this comes from Abraham via Brian Cashman himself — that clause does not apply for this opt-out years. It makes you wonder why the Dodgers didn’t offer Drew arbitration (or did Boras stick a “no arbitration” regulation in Drew’s opt-out clause?).

I’ll believe this for now, since it comes from Cashman. However, should it prove wrong, we might want to consider who we have running our baseball operations.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. rbizzler says:

Howdy Fellers, with the 8/15 deadline looming I have seen rumors that the Yanks have agreed to deals with Angelini, Romine and (IMO best of all) Suttle. Is there any way to confirm this or do we have to wait to the deadline to find out?

Also, it seems as though Brackman and his balky elbow will sign, but what about Weems and the two pitchers, Carpenter and Peavey?

2. dan says:

no one really knows for sure until they announce each signing. i’m not getting excited about these guys until they sign and start playing. we’ll actually get to see them for a little bit before the season ends because of the deadline, unlike kennedy and joba last year

3. Rich says:

What the heck does your last sentence mean? If it’s true you believe it because it’s coming from Cashman but if they can’t get compensation it’s Cashman’s fault the contract is written the way it is?

Forgive me if I’m a dullard but I’m not clear on the point you’re trying to make.

4. Joseph P. says:

No, it would be Cashman’s fault for not knowing what the fuck he’s talking about. This is the first time I’ve heard that the Yanks can get compensation should A-Rod leave. Normally I’d be skeptical, but since it’s coming from the mouth of the guy who should know what he’s talking about, I’ll believe it.

But part of me naturally remains skeptical.

5. Rich says:

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t know why I’m always surprised by the hostility fans have to Cashman.

Unless Abraham misinterpreted Cashman I figure Cashman knows better than anyone except maybe Boras.

Maybe no one ever asked the status before and everyone else was ASSuming there’d be no compensation on an early opt out.

6. steve says:

Rich, it’s b/c most Yankee fans have no idea WTF they are talking about.

7. Eric Schultz says:

rbizzler, they have apparently agreed to terms with Weems as well. Carpenter and Peavey are still up in the air.

8. Mike A. says:

While knowing we’d receive 2 draft picks if he bolts is comforting, I think anyone with a sane mind would rather have A-Rod.

9. The Scout says:

I’m with Mike A: two draft picks would not begin to make up for the void A-Rod’s departure would create. Four or five years from now we might be pleased by the prospects, but A-Rod is a vital piece of the team that should be competing next year for a title.