Sep

Game 152: Nearly there

The Yanks are nearly there on two fronts. With the Tigers’ losing again to the Indians this afternoon, the Yanks sport a nifty five-game lead in the Wild Card. If the Yanks go just 5-6 the rest of the way, the Tigers will have to go 9-0 just to tie. Meanwhile, the Yanks find themselves 2.5 games out of first, and we all know what the Bombers have to do to win the division.

Around Yankee-land today, the Internet held some interesting pieces for us to ponder. Joe Sheehan, in a subscribers-only piece, ponders the thought of getting the Yankees ready for the postseason. He wonders if the division really matters that much or if Joe Torre should rest the injured Yanks and prep the pitching for October.

For me, the division is a matter of pride, but at some point, if the Yanks can’t continue to close the gap, the Yanks should gear up for October. Considering their 21-29 start, it’s not like they’re settling for the Wild Card.

Meanwhile, the Yankees have set another attendance record. Their 4,262,761 tickets sold is a new franchise record. They join the Blue Jays as the only team to draw more than 4 million in three consecutive seasons. I think they’ll set the AL attendance mark before the season is out.

Meanwhile, because of complaints and a protest from my mother, we’re throwing out the current voting on the caption contest poll. We’ll put up more choices and allow the masses to rule the roost on this one. More details on that later tonight. On with the lineup:

Melky Cabrera CF – Still struggling.
Derek Jeter SS
Bobby Abreu RF
Alex Rodriguez 3B – A home run would be nice.
Jorge Posada C
Hideki Matsui LF
Robinson Cano 2B
Shelley Duncan DH
Doug Mientkiewicz 1B

Andy Pettitte P (13-8, 3.89)

Categories : Game Threads

1. Mike A. says:

For me, winning the division is just gravy really. I love seeing those idiots in Boston squirm and reach to unbelievable lengths to make excuses (boohoo, Papelbon didn’t have enough time to warm up).

As long as the team is hot heading into the playoffs, I’m cool. Rest the guys, but not too much. It’s not the best team that wins in the playoffs, it’s the hottest team.

2. Jon says:

Peter Abraham brought up the point too. To me, it’s moot. The rotation is set up so basically anyone can start any game of the playoffs with normal or more rest.

There are 2 or 3 days in between the last regular season game and start of the ALDS. So everyone automatically gets that much rest, and it should be fine for Joba, Rivera, etc.

Given the LF/DH/1B logjam, someone out of Damon, Matsui, Giambi and Mienkiewicz gets rest everyday anyway.

And plus, what are the odds that the division is decided on the last day? Possible, but it’s more likely that either us or Boston clinch earlier. Then we can rest.

Go for the division, there’s no downside. And homefield advantage over whichever teams we beat (specifically the Sox in the ALCS) IS valuable.

3. JS says:

1978 Lyrics (Prince)

I was dreamin’ when I wrote this
    Forgive me but Youkilis is gay
    But when I woke up this mornin’
    Could have sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all pinstripes
    There were Bosox runnin’ everywhere
    Tryin’ to run from Bucky F. Dent
    You know I didn’t even care

They say two thousand zero, seven, party over,
    Oops, out of first place!
    So tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1978!

I was dreamin’ when I wrote this
    So sue me if I go too fast
    But Boston’s just a party
    And parties weren’t meant to last

War is all around us
    My mind says prepare to fight
    So if I gotta die
    I’m gonna listen to Aaron Boone tonight

They say two thousand zero, seven, party over,
    Oops, out of first place!
    So tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1978!

If you didn’t come to party
    Don’t bother knockin’ on my door
    I got a Bloody Sock in my pocket
    And baby, Schilling’s a big fat bore

Yeah, the Yanks are the bombers
    The Sox could all die any day
    But before I’ll let that happen
    I’ll tell you that Daisuke is gay

They say two thousand zero, seven, party over,
    Oops, out of first place!
    (We’re runnin’ outta first place)
    So tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 1978!

Say, say,
    Two thousand zero, seven, party over,
    Oops, out of first place!
    So tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 1978!

Alright, it’s 1978!

You say it, 1978!

1978!

1978! Don’t stop, don’t stop, say it 1 more time!

1978!

4. Mike A. says:

Schmuckholz just got shelled in the 5th.

2-1 Jays

5. Mike A. says:

Good lord Mink. Unbelievable stretch right there.

6. Marc says:

Man slow night for posts huh, so I don’t think Pettitte is as good as he is suppose to be because his velocity is down… lol for good measure

7. Mike A. says:

Joba in the middle of an inning? You’re witnessing history here people.

;)

8. One on, one out for Ortiz and Toronto brings in a lefty who actually gets him out. Nice!

Closer in for the Jays – just four more outs…and Lowell goes down swinging! NICE!

9. Mike A. says:

Not for nuthin’, but Burres was outstanding tonight.

10. Mike A. says:

Wow, Tampa Bay’s staff has the most K’s post-AS break (Yanks are 3rd). Can’t say I saw that coming.

11. Joe says:

One batter from Joba, not enough. I need my fix.

12. ricardo says:

WHOA!! Joba in in the middle of an inning… Could this be a sign that the Joba Rules are becoming more flexible?

13. GRAND SLAM OFF PAPELBON!

14. ansky says:

oh Papelblown..what have you done?

Thats good stuff.

15. Mike A. says:

I guess you could say it’s “Papelgone”.

hehe

16. Mac says:

Could this be more terrifying?

17. Brian says:

i feel like joe wouldn’t remove mo even if he got up to 40-50 pitches in one inning. hope he gets out of this. this is getting stupid.

18. ansky says:

wow.

Who’d a thunk we’d be this close after the start this team had? Yanks have been playing goddamn ball.

Unreal

19. Mike A. says:

200 W’s for Andy.

First pitcher ever drafted by the Yankees to win 200 games. Insane.

20. JS says:

It bears repeating:

They say two thousand zero, seven, party over,
    Oops, out of first place!
    So tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1978!