Oct

Elias releases 2007 player rankings

As the title implies, Elias released their annual player rankings (here’s the AL and NL), which determines whether a player is a Type-A or Type-B free agent. A team that signs a Type-A free agent forfeits their first round pick to the player’s old team as compensation; the former team also picks up a supplemental first rounder. Type-B’s only net the former team a supplemental first rounder. The first 15 picks of the draft are protected, so if a team owning one of those picks signs a Type-A free agent, they lose their second rounder instead. The draft order can be found on the right sidebar of BA’s draft page.

As far as Yankees are concerned, A-Rod, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte are all Type-A free agents while only The Viz is a Type B free agent. Roger Clemens, Doug Mientkiewicz, Jose Molina and Ron Villone do not rank, so the Yanks won’t gain a pick if they sign elsewhere. With any luck, A-Rod will sign with either the Brewers, Blue Jays, Braves, Cubs or Mariners, which would give the Yanks a pick before the Tigers in the first round (those damn Tigers won’t think twice about grabbing a signability guy if/when he falls).

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. zack says:

Anyone else love that Gagne is only a class B?

2. Joseph P. says:

The Clemens thing is pretty funny.

3. yankz says:

So I guess we pray Sweet Lou is working the phones. Actually, if he goes to the Tigers, won’t the Yanks get their pick?

4. Mike A. says:

Freddy Garcia is a Type-B, so the Yanks wouldn’t lose a pick if they took a flier on him. Any thoughts?

I’d go for it, but I have to think there’s a team out there that would pay him more than I would ever offer.

• Joseph P. says:

Two years and an option at a reasonable price, sure. He’s a 200-inning guy if he’s healthy. Problem is, as you said, I’m sure another team would pay well more than I would find reasonable.

• Ben K. says:

I think I’d take Colon over Garcia. Colon has way more upside, and if we’re picking one pitcher suffering from shoulder problems, may as well go with the higher reward.

5. Mike R. says:

I’m actively rooting for the Tigers to sign him. I have pretty much discarded all the teams in the bottom 15 that choose before tthem. Worst case scenario is he goes to the Dodgers. Let’s all hope that A-Rod is still holding a grudge for that batting me 8th incident.

BTW Am I the only one who let out a “D-oh!” for having Viz miss being a type A by 2 spots?

6. Mike A. says:

Here’s a question, do the Giants offer Bonds arbitration in order to take advantage of his Type-A status? If they offer it to him, they could very well get stuck with him for another year.

• dan says:

I heard he’s lobbying McGowan to bring him back. If they offer it to him he might just accept. What a pr distater it would be if the star player comes back after being told he’s not wanted.

7. Mike R. says:

I doubt the Giants would risk offering arbitration. Bonds would take it in a heartbeat.

8. Brian says:

You just stoked my dream scenario: A-Rod to the Blue Jays. Wait, this just in: Cynthia Rodriguez just nixed my dream scenario.

9. dan says:

Something I absolutely NEVER want to see again is a ranking in this order:

63 Carl Pavano 32.143
    64 Phil Hughes 31.647

Honestly, wtf?!

10. Jamal G. says:

Am I the only one who wants Vizcaino back? I mean he did have that stretch from June to August where he had an 1.31 ERA. Torre did blow his arm out twice this year and thats when he struggled, but when nice and rested this guy was great. I mean 6 ER in a span of 41.2 IP is just great.

• dan says:

you’re not alone… but he should not be the main 8th inning option going into the season unless there’s a serious youth movement

11. dan says:

im looking through some of these lists, and some of it is just blatantly retarded….
    Let’s play a game…which of these names doesn’t fit?
    20t Torii Hunter 77.215 A
    22 Nick Swisher 76.329 A
    23 J.D. Drew 74.557 A
    24 Curtis Granderson 73.924 B

Next they have this:
    34 Jason Giambi 67.059 B
    36 B.J. Upton 64.810 B
    39 Carlos Pena 63.333 B

Honestly, what’s the point of rankings if they end up like this? (and see my above post). BPro or at least someone other than Elias should be making these rankings.

12. jerkface says:

The rankings work for a 2 year average I think, which is why it is surprising that Gagne managed to suck enough to bring himself down to a B.

Thats why BJ upton and Pena are around Giambi, and why JD Drew and company are out ranking Granderson

13. Yanks26 says:

Interesting that Jeter & Cano are ranked higher than Arod.

• usty says:

Jeter and Cano’s numbers from 2006 really help that.

• alex says:

thats rediculous, alex was better then them in 2006 too!!!!! god i hate yankee fans who think arod had a bad 2006.

i think it has more to do with the fact that cano and jeter play weaker offensive positions, so their value compared to their peers is greater.

14. daneptizl says:

I’m still mad we brought back Villone and no longer get picks for him. Last year I think we could have has a 1st + supplemental. Mad.

• pettitte's stare says:

Ya, but because of that compensation and because he is horrible no one wanted him. The picks don’t bother me so much, it is the fact that he was on the team in the first place that sucks.

• Pete says:

The problem was nobody was going to sign Villone to a major league contract (and surrender their first round pick for Plan F in the bullpen!).

That’s why the Yanks signed him to a minor league deal. Other MLB teams would’ve given him a minor league deal, but it was easier for Villone to just stay in NY, and hence, no compensation for the Yanks either way.