Nov

Molina: Two years, $4 million

Buried in the Marino article which Ben linked earlier:

The Yankees and backup catcher Jose Molina reached an agreement on a two-year, $4million contract.

When was the last time we went into Spring Training with an acceptable backup catcher?

Categories : Asides

1. marc says:

i like molina.. ever sicne that day him and bengie rocked homers off the unit cuz i hated the unit. but hes a good catch and throw guy. i bet girardi likes his style… i guess it helps that he raked when he was with us last year lol

2. Cam says:

I don’t remember specifics, but I’d say about 10 years ago, with Jorge as the backup to Girardi.

• steve says:

i agree …. the last decent back up we had was jorge …. that was a loooong time ago. hopefully jorge will get some more rest and dh work than he has in the past. molina will help out with the young kids. great signing.

3. mehmattski says:

John Flaherty had an OPS+ of 101 in 2004 and 97 in 2003. That’s not terrible.

• Joseph P. says:

You know what? His 2005 was so goddamn atrocious that it made me forget about the decent years he put up in 2003 and 2004. His OBP sucked, but he had a bit of pop when he put the ball in play.

4. rbizzler says:

This is good news. Not only is Molina an incredibly suitable backup, we don’t have listen to any more rants ripping Cash for not signing a decent backup catcher.

5. Sean McNally says:

When was the last time we went into Sprint Training with an acceptable backup catcher?

I can’t think of anyone who is less equipped to participate in sprint training than Molina. Except maybe the other Molina.

6. Travis says:

I’m really happy we signed Molina. I am saddened, however, that my first thought was, “Wow, someone in MLB is making only $2 million per year?”

7. Mike says:

Do the Yankees have any catcher prospects in the minors? From what I can see the answer is no.

8. Pete says:

Cervelli, Romine and Montero are at least, another 2-3 years away.

That’s why I didn’t care what we overpaid for Posada. This wasn’t like Mo’s situation where other people can come in an do a comparable job.

No Posada = black hole at C till 2010.

• dan says:

That is a good point regarding the length of his deal… Molina will be the backup in ’08,’09, Cervelli can hopefully be the backup in ’10 and take over in ’11 with posada backing up or moving. Cervelli’s future will essentially be decided (for better or worse) by 2011, the last year of Posada’s deal.