PeteAbe has a few good words from Brian Cashman. I’ll summarize.
- This is the coaching staff. Those early reports – including one in this space – about Kevin Long’s departure were incorrect.
- Joba Chamberlain will start unless Mariano Rivera leaves.
- Related: The Yankees want Posada, Rivera and Pettitte in pinstripes in 2008.
- Hideki Matsui is getting knee surgery; Derek Jeter is not.
- The Yanks will decide in the next day whether or not they are picking up Bobby Abreu’s option. Signs are pointing to yes.
And, of course, the big news. The Yankees, Cashman said again, are utterly through the A-Rod. Cashman, Hank and Hal all tried to reach out to A-Rod, and the self-obsessed slugger didn’t return their calls. This snub along with the loss of the subsidy means the door is firmly shut there. I believe it.
On November 1, Cashman also claimed that Robinson Cano could play third base, that Wilson Betemit could play third base and that some combination of Shelley Duncan, Andy Phillips and Jason Giambi will man first base. As we seemingly wave good bye to Doug Mientkiewicz, you can bet a lot of money that the offseason probably will not end with those folks playing those positions come Opening Day.