Nov

Yanks ‘reach out’ to David Riske

The Star Ledger is reporting that the Yankees have expressed their interest in right-handed reliever David Riske. Considering the state of the bullpen, I’m not surprised.

I’ve long thought that Riske would be a worthwhile pursuit. While relievers have a tendency for volatility, he’s been somewhat consistent since 2003, never having his ERA cross the 4.00 mark. Since his 2004 season with Cleveland, his WHIP has never crossed the 1.30 mark, either, so we could be looking at a decent reliever for a couple of years.

The problem: Scott Linebrink. He just signed a four-year deal worth $19 million, and the two match up well. If Riske is simply looking for the most money and doesn’t care about what team he plays for (which I would assume is true), his agent would have to be considered a complete failure if he doesn’t get something in that ballpark.

But, as we know, the Yankees are made of money. Do you make that kind of commitment for a relatively consistent reliever in Riske?

Late Edit: Riske is a Type B, so no draft picks are involved on the Yanks end.

Hat tip to My Baseball Bias.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. Ben K. says:

Riske is risky.

I’ll just get that out of the way. That being said, he’s a lot less risky than most available relievers, Luis Vizcaino included.

2. Mike A. says:

Fucking Linebrink.

3. Mike A. says:

I just wouldn’t want to commit that kind of money to a middle man. Just grow your own and pay them the minimum. The position is so damn volatile.

4. Travis G. says:

forget Linebrink, look at Mo.

5. Mitchell's Eleven says:

I think Riske’s track record is better than most, but you still can never tell with middle relievers. If the price and years are right for the Yankees then, yeah, sure, he’s certainly the best of the non-Viz reliever bunch. Bringing back him AND the Viz, plus giving Ohlendorf and some other non-Edwar and non-Bruney youngsters a shot should be interesting.

6. steve (different one) says:

if they signed him, i’d let Viz go for the draft pick.

there is something to be said for having at least one somewhat predictable arm. right now Viz is that guy, as he provides a pretty good shot at 70 innings of 4-ish ERA.

since Viz will likely want similar money (maybe less years), i’d swap in Riske and collect the draft pick.

7. Jeff says:

Think the Viz never slept… over used even if he’d been a workhorse all his career I predict that he might be another Proctor in the making.

In short take whats out there at a fair price and wait for Sanchez.

I like Olendorf too.

8. Jamal G says:

Am I the only one who favors Jose Veras? I know you cant disregard the control issues like its nothing but when this guy is in the zone he’s damn good. I really like Ohlendorf and if his splitter continues to develop along with the sinking heater he can be a great get-out-of-jam reliever.

9. E-ROC says:

David Riske has been consistent the last couple of years. That commitment is a little rough. He’ll probably be worth more than Linebrink and I think he’s looking for that kind of money. Is Troy Percival still available? Sign Marc Kroon. How about one of those Japanese pitchers? If not, then I’d would be fine with Ohlendorf, Sanchez, or whoever else from within.