Apr

With Pettitte out 6-8 weeks, Igawa to join rotation

Despite throwing a successful 75-pitch outing against Minor Leaguers on Sunday, Andy Pettitte‘s prospects in the early going this season look bleak. The Yankees pitching depth, it seems, will be tested early.

According to reports out of New York, Pettitte’s back did not respond well at all to the weekend outing, and the Yanks believe he could be out for as long as two months. To make matters worse in the eyes of fans, the Yankees plan to replace Pettitte with the much-maligned Kei Igawa who, just a few hours ago, was named the Scranton-Wilkes Barre Opening Day starter.

The Yankees all of a sudden find themselves with a little bit of a pitching problem. While Chien-Ming Wang will retain his place at the front of the rotation, the four pitchers behind him are anything but a given. Mike Mussina will slot into the second starter position, but he’s coming off the worst season of his career and had a shaky Spring Training. Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy, two youngsters who may struggle at times, will follow Mussina, and Igawa will pick up the rear.

When word of Pettitte’s injury came down, I, like many of you, probably turned your thoughts to the ace in the hole the Yanks seem to carry in their bullpen. Wouldn’t Joba Chamberlain be a much better choice than Kei Igawa? Right now, the Yankees seem unwilling to move Chamberlain out of the pen. They fear that he’ll be used too much too soon and will reach his innings cap before the Yanks need to call on him in October.

While the rained out Opening Day and subsequent 7:05 p.m. rescheduling of the game took some of the damper out of the festivities that surround the start of the season, this news casts a veritable pall over what is usually a joyous time of year. This time, Roger Clemens won’t ride to the rescue. All of a sudden, the Yanks are left with a hole, and Johan Santana sure looked good in his Mets debut.

But the Yanks have overcome adversity before, and they still have the makings of a championship team. Maybe Kei Igawa can step. Maybe he can pitch effectively. That is, after all, why they play the games. And, oh yeah, Happy April Fools Day.

Categories : Injuries, Whimsy

1. There’s a line you really shouldn’t cross for April Fool’s jokes. You guys jumped right over it.

2. nolan11 says:

look…i love your site…i visit every day…multiple times…but common…that was horrible. My heart exploded just thinking about kei igawa and his stupid sunglasses ruining game after game after game….
    no more of this nonsense

3. Rich says:

The non-link link was a giveaway.

4. Rayblay says:

Dumb of me to believe it: I saw the headline and said haha, you guys are kidding… but then I kept reading.. and started believing… and got freaked out… and thought I was going to cry… and could not understand where this report could have come from at this hour with no updates on it anywhere else… YET I still believed you. Silly me.
    But GREAT joke. You really had me going there.

5. Buddy Biancalana says:

That was pretty good. A four letter word came to mind reading that Igawa was on the way.

6. mike f says:

fuck you

7. g-money says:

u sacred the crap out of me i was ready to flip

8. matt K says:

WOW i almost just killed myself luckily i finished reading it all

9. Matt B says:

My heart stopped for a minute, good work

10. Rob says:

Mike f’s response is apt. LOL

11. David says:

Most annoying day of the year.

12. Jamal G. says:

You know what, seriously screw you guys. I sure I am not the only one on this site who suffers from Igawaphobia and your utter lack of insensitivity to this condition is heartless.

Second damn time today, tired of this crap. Stop it already, I can’t take another one! It was so bad that I couldn’t even bring myself to read the full article, I jumped to the comments after the first paragraph and that’s when I found out about the joke.

So wrong. So, so wrong.

13. barry says:

Man my heart dropped.

14. aaron says:

You sinfoabiach!! i almost had a heart attack

15. Stephen says:

Well played, that deserves a tip of the cap… just as soon as I can catch my breath again.

16. Babe's Ghost says:

I keeel you

17. Pique says:

I fucking hate you guys. I was ready to cancel my MLB.TV subscription and take up watching UFC.

Don’t ever do that to me again.. Wow, you guys really blow.

18. Pique says:

Seriously, uncool. I called up like 6 people.

On the plus side, I’m going to be alert for the rest of the day.

19. blah says:

Bastard.

20. lenoirfaineant says:

I just read your posting guidelines last night, and was fully prepared to violate the “swear judiciously” requirement when I read Kei Igawa’s name. At the same time, I wonder if he’ll figure it out. Do you think the Yankees get anything out of his contract?

• Ben K. says:

I’d say this is a judicious time to swear. Mike F’s response basically wins the thread.

Do the Yanks get anything out of his contract? Depends on what they get if they ever take the plunge and trade him. But I’m guessing now. When the Yanks can absorb what basically amounts to a $46 million loss, what does that tell you about the financial state of the organization?

• Bruno says:

If they got something for Irabu I’m sure they’ll be able to dump Igawa on SOMEONE desperate for pitching (Houston, Philly?)

• steve (different one) says:

except Irabu really wasn’t that bad for the Yankees.

everyone remembers him as sucking, but he didn’t really “suck”.

he didn’t live up to the hype, but in 1998-1999, the Yankees had the best 4/5th starter in baseball.

21. [...] « With Pettitte out 6-8 weeks, Igawa to join rotation 01 04 2008 [...]

22. Matt says:

Wow, that had me so pissed in the beginning, and then it had me on the floor laughing. This is exactly why I check this site like 20 times a day. You guys are great, don’t you ever change. Riveraveblues.com is to changing as Joe Torre is to using Edwar Ramirez!

23. AndrewYF says:

If I had not just read Google’s “custom time” joke, my heart would have dropped like cement for more than 2 seconds. Well done.

24. brockdc says:

Fargin icehole bastiches!

I’ve played some nasty practical jokes on people before, but I’ve never, ever stooped to this level.

25. AndrewYF says:

Although I must say, if Pettitte really does suffer any kind of setback, you’re probably going to want to move out of the country, nay, out of any land-mass on Earth.

26. Adrian-Retire21 says:

Nice you did make me think that was true since it’s like almost 2:00 in the morning.Very good.

27. matcohen says:

got me a$$hole ;-)

28. Brian says:

For a weird second there, I actually thought to myself, “yeah, maybe they’re right….maybe that is why the games are played….yeah, that’s the ticket…go Igawa!”
    Now that kind of thinking from me deserves to be fooled, so I’m guessing you could do a few more like that and I may not notice.
    The scary bit is….it really really could happen. But then Horne might come up and we’d have some ridiculous Big Four campaign.

29. Bruno says:

As much as I’d love to see Joba in the rotation ASAP, this was NOT funny.

30. Chip says:

Seriously, you think we’re all dumb enough to think Igawa would be the first called up?

31. Samiamsports says:

You my friend are an ass

32. Tripp says:

Nice Job! The best part is that I fell for it and immediately called my Dad who flipped out as well…..then I read the notes and felt like a jackass….then I had to call my dad and tell him it was a joke who then called me a jackass.

33. Sam says:

Well played my friend. Wondering why Igawa would be the first guy to take Andy’s place, but it was a good joke nevertheless!

34. TurnTwo says:

yup, you just got me. bravo!

35. CaptainCargo says:

Good joke. Next year I plan to infiltrate a randomly chosen Red Sox site and do the same thing to those dorks.

36. mg says:

I hate you.

37. Geno says:

You got me, hook, line & sinker. I was all ready to bray about bringing up Horne.

38. Frunkis says:

damn you!, i have tickets to saturdays game is i was going to sell them because of that hahaha

39. Rob From NY says:

YOU GOT ME!! You sons of bitches.

40. Scott says:

I will get you back for that one…wow

41. Bo says:

Nothing lamer than bad April Fools jokes.

42. Rob D. says:

Well played, fellas. Even though I came here expecting an April Fools joke, that still made me nervous for a moment.

43. wayne's world says:

ahh………you blew your chance to report that yanks had opened up negotiations with the hendricks bros.

44. Grgoyldef2 says:

I hate you guys!!!!!

45. Link says:

whats funny is i just looked at the page just now for the first time today, saw the Stadium countdown post and mention of the April Fool’s joke..now mind you I’ve already read Pete Abe and when I say the post my heart STILL jumped for a sec even though I KNEW that it was a joke lol…goes to show how scary such a prospect is for our season…and of course you guys know if anything remote to this really happens we will burn down your homes lol j/k…very good one…

46. Link says:

saw* the post…

47. You almost made this the worst opening day ever, especially after i was at yankee stadium yesterday when it was rained out. I even started texting people about Pettitte before I read the end of the post.

48. Alex says:

Wow i was sick to my stomach reading this! haha Go yanks!

49. nick blasioli says:

i was already pissed off about the santana deal and you come up with that horrible april fools joke…iam not impressed and you are a b–t h–e.

50. Shane says:

that hurt bro… I am loyal reader of your site… that hurt… bad. The thought of Kei Igawa stepping in for Pettittie gave me the worst douche chills.

well played sir.

51. kevin says:

I would rather stick needles in my dick than have Kei Igawa save the day.

I think Danny Almonte would have put up similar numbers against the Marlins yesterday. ;lets see Johan do that in philly after johnny maine and pedro get rocked and hes got to stop a losing streak, thats why they pay him the big bucks.

52. inman says:

need to wash my shorts and take a shower

53. LiveFromNewYork says:

I knew it was a joke but I hated it anyway. It’s just so not funny.

54. LiveFromNewYork says:

It is sad that many of us could believe it and want to throw ourselves off the triborough bridge. Just the thought of it. If Andy doesn’t get a mad ovation on Saturday, I will eat my Yankees cap.

55. Joey h says:

IM GONNA KICK UR ASS BEN! lmao that was good pal, you really got me there. the tears were coming lmao! got me!

56. Michael says:

Pretty funny, you had me. I used the same joke when I called up my dad later in the morning and told him. He had to put the phone down when he heard Kei Igawa was taking Andy’s place in the rotation. haha…

57. tonton says:

This is an April truth.

Kei Igawa tosses 6 perfect Innings on 03 Apr.

The SWB Yanks opened their season tonight with a 4-1 win against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. Kei Igawa started and perfectly , perfect. 6 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 7 K.

58. tonton says:

another quotation :

Maybe the New York Yankees really did know what they were doing when they signed Japanese pitcher Kei Igawa to a $20 million contract last year.
    For one night at least, Igawa was worth every last dime of it.
    Igawa turned in a dazzling performance, pitching six perfect innings to lead the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees to a 4-0 victory

59. tonton says:

Why don’t you propose that the Yankees should trade igawa for Snyder or Lopez of the RS when igawa has a trade value? if we get out igawa who is only a garbage of 3A, we can get a pitcher of the MLB though he is old, inconsistent and mediocre. Doesn’t it sound good?

If you are a Yankees-player hater as usual, you should propose that.

60. tonton says:

What about Pettitte of today?
    Please tell something about your April Fool or April Prediction.

61. [...] the third year in a row in which big news happened in Yankeeland. Last year, the team revealed that Kei Igawa would join the rotation due to an Andy Pettitte injury. In 2007, Roger Clemens announced his return to the Bronx just days [...]

62. [...] in 2007 when we predicted Roger Clemens’ return to the Yanks, took heat in 2008 when we swapped Kei Igawa into the rotation for Andy Pettitte and stopped hearts last year when we reported on a suspension for [...]