May

UBBMD Update

So my pick finally rolled around in the United Baseball Bloggers Mock Draft, and with it I took none other than Gerrit Cole. No brainer, he was the best player left on the board by a considerable margin (using Keith Law’s latest rankings, the next best player was ranked 12 spots behind Cole). Kids with electric fastballs and good breaking balls don’t last until pick #28, and the makeup stuff doesn’t concern me at all (I wish someone would quantify these makeup concerns, no one has said what he’s done to make people question his makeup, they just say he’s got issues).

You can see all the picks here; Phuture Phils took Tanner Scheppers, the wildcard of the draft class. We were planning on doing the sandwich round, and in discussions to the do the second round as well, but some have been frustrated by the pace, so we might not get that far. I’ll keep you updated if we do.

In other mock draft news, John Sickels’ mock draft is being held today. I represented the Yanks last year, but I’m not doing it again this year. Too much work and too time consuming. I’ll breakdown the Yanks’ picks later today or tomorrow, and I’ll also post who I would have taken at each spot (it’s easier when you don’t have to sit in front of the computer and wait for each stinkin’ pick). Can’t get me enough draft talk.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. erik says:

Thanks for participating, even if it was like watching paint dry at times. Cole was a slam dunk pick for you, no doubt.

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona Beach says:

What a lousy pick! His character will come back to haunt us forever. You might as well have drafted Charles Manson.

Just kidding, I have no idea at all about this kid.

3. dan says:

At least Cole buys his own laptops.

4. yankees take collier in second mock draft

5. CB says:

You’re UBBMD mock draft looks very good – and makes sense. Sickels mock draft this year so far has been a bit strange. Brian Matsuz going #9? Well who knows – that’s the fun.

If the Tanner Scheppers does have a relatively clean bill of health, I wonder if the yanks will have to make a decision between him and Cole at #28. If so who should they pick?

I could see Scheppers gaining some velocity after working with Nardi. He sits 93-96 already. But Cole has a great arm.

If the yanks passed on Cole at #28 would he be available in the supplemental due to signability? If they pass on Scheppers would he last until #44?

It’ll be interesting to see how they handles this. In your mock draft Scheppers went #24 to the phils – I’d guess they people making that pick are figuring if the Phils took a chance with Savery last year they’ll take a chance on Scheppers this year. We’ll see.

I hope Detroit doesn’t take Cole or Scheppers at 21. Though given how barren their system is at the upper levels and their win now major league team I wonder if the may change strategy and pick some for need and take the most immediately ready college arm available?

• funny that Matsuz also went at 9 on Sickels’s draft

• dan says:

CB is referring to Matusz at #9 in Sickels’ draft– he went #4 in the UBB Mock draft to the Orioles. No individual blogger picked him either, they had to make a group decision (presumably because whoever chose to represent the Orioles didn’t show up in time), so this was a few people making the decision.

6. dan says:

The Sickels draft has the Yankees taking HS players with each of their first 3 picks…. anyone know who’s representing the Yankees in that one?

• Mike A. says:

If following along with the Sickels’ draft and I’m keeping track of who I would have taken at each of the Yankees spots. If you think taking 3 HS kids with the first 3 picks is crazy, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

• dan says:

I didn’t say it was crazy… I was just noting the fact. I definitely have a preference for college kids, but not so much that I’ll ignore high school completely. Like if Porcello were available to the Yankees last year at 30 I’d have taken him over Brackman, and same with Michael Main. But for this draft, I’d prefer if the Yankees took a college hitter or two near the top than can move up the ranks fairly quickly.

• since we’re almost done, Mike, who would you have taken?

• Mike A. says:

I’m going to post it tomorrow, you’ll find out then. ;)

I will say that I ended up taking 4 high schoolers. (I stopped picking after the third round)

• Keith Collins and I are taking on the Yankees’ picks. We like who we picked and we did so based on tools/stuff, potential/ceiling, frame/size, and stats. We didn’t judge based on HS or college, just talent.

7. dan says:

What’s up with Kyle Russell this year?

8. Final results of Sickels’s draft:

28) NY Yankees: Zach Collier, OF, California HS
    44) Yankees: Anthony Ferrara, LHP, Florida HS
    75) Yankees: Ricky Oropesa, 1B, California HS
    106) Yankees: Ryan Westmoreland, P-OF, Rhode Island HS
    140) Yankees: Keith Landers, LHP, Massachusetts HS
    170) Yankees: Danny Ortiz, OF, Puerto Rico HS

Pretty good, though that’s admittedly a lot of high schoolers.

• dan says:

Who were some of the other guys you were considering with each pick (but decided against), if you can remember?

• Brett Wallace (1)
        Ike Davis (1)
        Robbie Ross (1S)
        A. Dykstra (1S)
        Brett Mooneyham (4)
        David Duncan (4/5)
        Kyle Russell (5)

these were players we considered at each pick, but didn’t last long enough. the only player we decided against (barely) was dykstra, and that was kinda an accident.