Jun

Cox hits the DL

Chad Jennings has the scoop: J.B. Cox has been placed on the seven-day DL. He’s not with the team right now, so he doesn’t know exactly what’s going on. Chad’s good with the phone, though, so we might get an update decently soon. We can only hope it’s nothing serious.

On a side note, if I were the editor of a metropolitan area sports section, I’d be chomping at the bit to hire Jennings to cover the Yanks. The dude knows what he’s doing, and has connections throughout the Yanks system.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Brandon says:

Ok I’m calling BS on the injury something is up.

• Mike A. says:

Uh, why? If they were shopping him for a trade or something, they’d want him to pitch. Putting him on the DL would only decreases his trade value. I don’t see any benefit to putting a player on the DL.

His elbow is probably just sore, he’s only 15 months out from surgery. Melancon is 21 months out; who knows what he went through.

• Brandon says:

That’s not my thinking Mike A. I’m thinking Melancon to Scranton and he takes JB’s innings on course to the Bronx. I mean we’re already hearing the Yankees are shopping Hawkins believe it or not. And Melancon has 45 IP this season already.

2. steve (different one) says:

isn’t this a metaphor for life?

the day after Wang comes back to life, Cox goes down.

3. E-ROC says:

That sucks. Hopefully, it isn’t anything serious.

Any updates on Britton?

4. Newman says:

Mike,

Any ballpark guess on if, and when, we might see any of Robertson/Melancon/Cox (I know he’s hurt now but assuming it’s not serious) get a shot up at the bigs?

5. Jamal G. says:

Ben, I think I just heard the most illogical, dumbest, aggravating, mind-numbingly stupidest thing ever in my life. Michael Francessa and Christoper Russo were advocating a trade of Jose Reyes and even coming up with potential deals.

Jose fucking Reyes, he of the most XBH among Major League SS, he of the second best OPS among ML SS (Hanley Ramirez, duh), he of the fifth most Stolen Bases in the majors, he of the second best Runs Created per 27 outs (Ramirez, the stat shows how many runs a team of nine of the same player would score) among ML SS, and he of the second most Runs Created among ML SS. He is the second most prolific offensive Short Stop in the fucking Major Leagues and these two idiots want to trade him away to shake up the New York Mets. To shake the team up. Not only do these two want to trade him but Mr. Francessa also said of Jose Reyes that he is having “a bad year”. That stupid prick.

I have never been so floored by stupidity in baseball discussion than I was when I heard this crap, Yankee related or not. This has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard related to baseball in my life.

(Yes, this is exactly why I listen to them, on a pretty uneventful day for me these two have entertained me to great ends in those 10 minutes of utter stupidity.)

• E-ROC says:

Just out of morbid curiousity, who was the acquisition in the Reyes trade?

• Newman says:

I was listening to some of it, Francesa wanted Crawford and a “pitcher,” namely Shields b/c he “likes Crawford a lot”

• Jamal G. says:

They threw out multiple teams:

Cleveland Indians- Grady Sizemore was the main chip.
        Tampa Bay Rays- Carl Crawford and Matt Garza were the centerpieces.
        San Fran- Tim Lincecum and Omar Vizquel. Jesus.

The worst part was that they were excluding teams who already have Short Stops like the Detroit Tigers! yes, the Tigers definitely would not want Jose Reyes, they have the great Edgar Renteria! The White Sox would not dare deal for Jose Reyes with the all important Orlando Cabrera. My God.

The fact that they are so ignorant to the farm systems in baseball just made it comical on how they were visibly racking their brains trying to figure out what players on the other team’s 25-man roster the Mets would want. My God.

• Glen L says:

yup – 120 OPS+ this year to go with 23 stolen bases at an 80% success rate and he’s on pace for 9 FRAA … that’s a mighty terrible year

6. Jamal G. says:

Brandon, I also don’t get why you think Brian Cashman and Mark Newman would want to place J.B. Cox on the DL to accommodate Mark Melancon and his innings.

7. E-ROC says:

Nomar is set to play shortstop for the Dodgers. That should be fun to watch.

8. eddyb says:

i was just watching BTN and peter gammons said something about a past whisper (i emphasize “past”) about Brad Penny for Robinson Cano. Has anyone else heard that before?

• E-ROC says:

That’s the first I’ve heard of that rumor. Dodgers need a power bat; the Yanks should give them Melky. lol. j/k.

9. E-ROC says:

Does anyone think Chipper Jones will end the season with a batting average of .400?

10. Mashmore says:

I’d…uhhh, you know…want to cover the Yanks too and stuff haha.

Aceves looks good through 3.

11. A.D. says:

Terrible news, hopefully it’s nothing serious, he’s been lights out

12. [...] it was going to happen, it happened at a good time. Also, you’ve probably heard by now that JB Cox is on the DL, but now it looks like Chris Garcia has joined him, at least according to milb.com (h/t to A.D.). [...]