Jun

Game 66: How about two over .500?

If the Yanks are going to get to that magical two-games-over-.500 mark tonight, they have their work cut out for ‘em.

Three weeks ago, Justin Duchscherer was a David Ortiz single away from throwing a perfect game against the Red Sox. This year, he’s throwing to a 2.32 ERA, and opponents are hitting just 212/.280/.285 against him. Darrell Rasner better bring his A game, and whoever’s due to pitch the ninth in a save situation better be on the ball too.

We’ve got another late start and another late finish. Enjoy.

Damon LF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Rodriguez 3B
Matsui DH
Giambi 1B
Posada C
Cano 2B
Cabrera CF

Rasner P

Categories : Game Threads

1. Jamal G. says:

Heh, Jonathan Papelbon had to come into a game the Red Sox led 6-1 in the 9th for a save situation (hH did nail down the save). Objects in your rear view mirror are closer than they appear Red Sox Nation.

2. A.D. says:

Garcia & Cox on the DL…sadness in the minors

3. pete says:

haha the oakland announcers just said bobby abreu has always had one of the nicest swings in baseball
    he looks like a ballerina most of the time
    karishnikov would have loved that hit

4. Jamal G. says:

Uncle Charlie sure showed up tonight, nasty.

5. JeffG says:

Deuschmaster looks nasty… looks like we’ve got our work cut out for us.

6. Wally Pipp says:

Keep drinking, Jeremy.

7. E-ROC says:

That Giambi guy is having a solid year.

• Joey says:

who woulda thought? Gotta give Jamal cred

• nmc says:

Anyone think he’s a legit MVP candidate? Him and that Jariano Smivera guy…

• Chip says:

He’d have to hit a ton of homeruns or put up rediculous RBI numbers because he’s a first baseman who doesn’t run well (or at all really) and doesn’t hit for average

• Chip says:

That’d the starting all-star first baseman Giambi thank you very much. Seriously, Youk is beating him when the game is in New York? Come on Yankee fans!

8. Wally Pipp says:

Any guesses on how the Mets will lose tonight?

9. Kelvin says:

that rasner guy is something huh?

10. Chip says:

Rasner with 3 K’s through 2 and workin on a no-hitter! Gotta jinx it while he’s still got it goin :)

• Jamal G. says:

Kudos to Kobe’s response.

• A.D. says:

Didn’t Schilling call out Scott Williamson on his injury when he ended up having nerve damage?

I don’t understand why Schilling just can’t stop being an ass, I mean has Kobe ever commented on baseball let alone Schilling, if he’s going to make dick comments at least stick to your sport

11. A.D. says:

Need to get some runs, probably can’t lean on Mo tonight

12. Chip says:

Double play Jeter up to bat!

13. A.D. says:

No DP Abreu

14. Wally Pipp says:

Send Jeter, stay out of the double play.

15. Luthien says:

I could be completely wrong and probably am, but wasn’t Duchscherer a reliever at some point?

16. Chip says:

He’s really getting that high curve called. It’d definitely a strike but you don’t see it called much anymore

17. Chip says:

Two guys watching strike three with a man on third? That’s rough

18. BigBlueAL says:

Clutch Yankees hitting comes thru again.

19. Wally Pipp says:

Sweet Jesus, that was atrocious

20. The Fallen Phoenix says:

That’s range you don’t see from your average second baseman.

21. Joey says:

beautiful Robbie

22. Chip says:

You’re not supposed to bunt when a pitcher has a no-no going! :)

23. Jamal G. says:

Jason Giambi giveth and he taketh away.

24. Jake H says:

I’m sorry but A rod doesn’t have his head in the game. No way that should have been a hit. Guy had shown but the pitch before. Also 2 guys on and he doesn’t even swing at hanging curve

25. Chip says:

I can already feel .500 calling again

26. BigBlueAL says:

So the Yankees miss a chance to extend their lead, then the other team immediately turns around and scores some runs to take the lead, where have i seen this before…..

27. Chip says:

I think Rasner lost his mojo

28. eddyb says:

John Sterling: “You know, if you play .500 ball, you know what that tells you? You’re a .500 team.”

29. A.D. says:

man Rasner just keeps getting hit

30. Chip says:

And there’s another one

31. Dave P. says:

Ahhhhh John Sterling…..Captain of the S.S. Obvious for 20 years now.

32. The Fallen Phoenix says:

…dare I say we’re witnessing a BABIP regression?

33. Chip says:

Gameday won’t let me see Giambi’s HR but it has video of RBI singles? That upsets me

34. Joey says:

come on Raz

35. Jamal G. says:

LoL, this Yankee staff sure doesn’t like pitching around spotty defense.

36. Mike A. says:

Beltran just walked off

37. Chip says:

This is getting bad, he’s just lobbing em over the plate now

38. BigBlueAL says:

Will the real Darrell Rasner please stand up.

39. Luthien says:

Plz tell me they aren’t gonna use Ross O as the long man again…..

40. JeffG says:

118 pitches… could be haunting us.

41. Chip says:

Well guys, it’s been real, it’s been fun, but it hasn’t been really fun tonight so I’m going to quit before I break something. I should have known that 2 games about .500 was too much to ask, hope things turn around

42. Jamal G. says:

Tim Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez were pitching a beauty against each other at Coors Field. Jimenez is out of the now after his seven innings. Each of them were 95-MPH+ after 100+ pitches, nasty.

43. Mike A. says:

You gotta love Cure Insurance.

44. A.D. says:

Well bats better pick it up after that debacle of an inning

45. Jamal G. says:

Alfonso Soriano, a long favorite of mine, is out for six weeks at least with a broken finger after being hit by a pitch in tonight’s game versus the Atlanta Braves.

Fantasy owners cringe in unison.

46. A.D. says:

Looks like it going to be one of those games….making it easy for me to choose bed

47. Mike A. says:

Man, Ohlie looks terrible with that ‘stache. Haha.

48. Newman says:

Is Giese relegated to Joba’s caddy? Why not go with him here, he’s only succeeded…are they saving him for Joba on Friday?

• Mike A. says:

Using Giese is too out-of-the box for Girardi. Joba’s lined up for 90 pitches, Ohlendorf could have been his caddy Friday.

Ohlie hadn’t pitched in a while though.

• Newman says:

Yea that’s what I meant – with Joba on such a high pitch count you could’ve just used the bullpen as you normally would’ve, or used Ohlie then. Guess Joe G didn’t agree

• the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

I was wondering the very same thing. Even if they’re treating him like a starter, wouldn’t today be his throw day? If so, maybe he can give them an inning or so. I just don’t want Girardi to keep riding Ohlendorf beyond one more inning. He has been pretty lousy in multiple inning appearances. The offense needs to work the pitch count against Duchscherer. With Santiago Casilla and Joey Devine both on the DL, the Oakland bullpen isn’t nearly as good as their season stats would indicate.

49. BillyBall says:

I have to agree with an earlier post. A-Rod’s head is not in the game. You can blame Rasner, you can blame Posada catching Rasner and messing up a good thing, but I choose A-Rod. First he strikes out with runners on the corners, it happens but he looked completely fooled. Than he is playing in after another Giambi or shall we say Yankee 1st baseman error, and there is A-Rod flat foot as the hitter squares up to bunt, I’m not saying he would have got him but damm, the replay shows that he was flat footed and he may not even been looking up. Lastly, he has no range to his right, time and time he makes weak attempts at balls down the line. He is above avg to his left but not to his right. He should hug the line cause he never makes that play. Getting back to Giambi, he is having a very good year with the stick, but boy he is awful defensively, and I’ve been saying this all year, either make him full time DH and trade Matsui or Damon, or get a back up 1st baseman with a great glove to come in late in the game. Pathetic. Roller Coaster season.

p.s. I think we will eventually get over the hump, it may take a few moves or call ups, but it will happen.

• the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

You know a late inning defensive replacement for Giambi wouldn’t have helped in this game right? I wish Betemit or Duncan were better defensively but how many games have the Yankees lost this season due to shoddy first base defense in a situation where a defensive caddy would have been used? One? Zero?

• Jamal G. says:

It is called the hot corner for a reason. There is not enough reaction time to make an adequate move as a Third Basemen when a RHB pulls a ball down the LF foul line.

I am just floored that you are seriously “blaming” A-Rod for what has transpired thus far.

50. the most felonious vocalist in the wide world of showbusiness says:

I blame A-Rod for Ohlendorf’s mustache and control problems. Get your head in the game Alex!

51. Mike A. says:

Eh, games like this happen.

52. Simon B. says:

You see, even though Ohlendorf only got one out last inning, this is technically the second inning in which he’s participating, so that’s why he’s bad.

Not because he’s not ready for the majors, no! He would be great as a one-inning guy, even though he has a 5+ ERA in his first inning.

53. E-ROC says:

This is getting ugly; like Sam Cassell or Tyrone Hill ugly. Yikes!

54. Jamal G. says:

For all the talk about Ros Ohlendorf being much better as a one inning reliever the numbers really don’t supports that. In nine one inning or less appearances this season he has allowed six Earned Runs.

• Ben K. says:

Yeah, that’s why we’ve never really posted about that.

Ohlendorf’s not sharp tonight because he hasn’t pitched in a week. That’s no way to keep the bullpen sharp.

• Jamal G. says:

That was my thinking as well (his non usage recently) but I read a couple complaints about him being a better one inning reliever.

Oh BTW, do you have a response to the answer I gave to your question?

• Ben K. says:

Nothing in particular. You raised some good points. I was just tossing it out there to discuss. At some point, the Yanks have to consider trading some prospects. It just depends, as I said, who for what and when. I don’t have those answers either right now.

• Sal says:

Ehh didn’t 4 of those runs come in that Mets debacle?

• Todd says:

I agree completely. I feel like I am the only one who thinks that this guy simply sucks. He is definitely a favorite among guys on the board though. I often wonder how Veras would be perceived if he went to an Ivy league school. All I know is that Ohlie gets hit hard and often and fans seem to blame it on how he is being used.

• Mike A. says:

For the record, my love for Ohlendorf has nothing to due with his education.

• Todd says:

Why is he a favorite then? And if it is his stuff, are you equally excited about guys like Veras? Also, exactly when has he ever gotten outs consistently for us to believe that he will suddenly be good. Farnsy shows us that velocity means little.

BTW Mike, I do not mean to pick on you. I have just been on one for a while because people on this board seem to root against guys like Hawkins and worship similiar scrubs like Ohly.

55. Newman says:

After being so tired at work today from staying up for the entirety of last night’s game, I’d like to thank the Yanks for thinking of my sleeping needs when taking the field tonight. Goodnight all

56. E-ROC says:

1-2-3 inning for Farnsdearth!!!!

57. [...] the DL, but now it looks like Chris Garcia has joined him, at least according to milb.com (h/t to A.D.). Garcia to the DL hasn’t been confirmed yet, so I’ll keep you updated. Doesn’t [...]