Sep

Game 140: Bobby out; Yanks face schedule woes

In the ninth inning of last night’s game, Bobby Abreu stole second and jammed his hand while sliding. The YES cameras showed the Yanks’ right fielder flexing his fingers, and today, he’s out of the lineup. The Yanks haven’t announced the extent of the injury, but they do plan to call up someone from AAA soon.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are playing a night game in Tampa prior to a flight to Seattle and a night game tomorrow night. Considering that Tampa doesn’t really draw many fans, day or night, to their games but can expect a crowd for the Yankees, MLB should have scheduled this one as a day game. But once again, the economic impact of the Yankees far outweighs any practical considerations. And, by the way, the Yanks can’t take a longer AL flight than the one they will board tonight shortly after the game.

Classic mismatch tonight: Darrell Rasner vs. Scott Kazmir. Gotta win tonight though. Keep the ball rolling.

Damon lf
Jeter ss
A.Rodriguez 3b
Nady rf
Giambi dh
I.Rodriguez c
Cano 2b
Ransom 1b
Gardner cf

Rasner P

Notes: Rasner is 5-9 with a 5.08 ERA. He last won on July 12 and since then, has made eight appearances — seven starts — spanning 41 innings. He’s sporting a 15:18 BB:K ratio and has allowed seven home runs. During this stretch, opponents are hitting .276/.344/.436 against him.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Manimal says:

Justin Christian, Come on down!

2. D.B. says:

lets go yanks!

3. JimT says:

I agree with Ben concerning the schedule. The Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox are major draws for the smaller market teams. The least MLB could do is show the Yankees a bit of respect with a day time get away game. I’m a die hard Red Sox fan, but this schedule simply isn’t fair.

• Ben K. says:

Happens a lot with the Sox too. I understand the arguments for night games for the home team, but the scheduling has to consider the 3000-mile road trip the Yanks have.

• JimT says:

I agree. Also, there should be a balanced schedule within the divisions. The Yankees are made to play the Mets every year and generally the Mets are a good team. If they are going to have inter-league play then everyone should play the same schedule. One can’nt control hot steaks / cold streaks ect. So it might be that the Yanks play the Phils when thet are hot and a month later the Sox get them when they are coooled off, that’s baseball. But both teams should play the same schedule.

Plus, the big market / draw teams shouldn’t have to play late Sunday for TV then made to travel for the next day. They really should be given special consideration under those types of circumstances.

• Steve says:

Yeah, but lets not overdo this. Were flying 3000 miles to face Seattle. Any relievers not available for tonight’s game should be there already.

• JimT says:

I understand that the Mariners aren’t a strong team. But a marquis team like the Yankees shouldn’t have to play on the west coast during the last month of the season. The Yankees are scratching for thier playoff lives. Shouldn’t they be doing that in a time zone where thier fans can stay up and enjoy it. Not to mention the competitive disadvantage they are fighting.

These teams that make other teams lots of money and the fans that support them should be treated special. Yankee fans shouldn’t be made to watch games from Seattle in September.

4. Charlie (in SD) says:

Scheduling rears its head again. I was actually surprised that they had two day games over the weekend. Then again, lets worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Right now, we have to win today.

On that note, I like this lineup! We can see what bumping A-Rod up to 3rd might do, and it brings our own Scrapper, Brett Gardner into the lineup! Go Gardner, show that Leprechaun in Boston what 5’10″ can do!

GO YANKS!

• D.B. says:

stop complaining about the schedule, the yankees season is over.

• Ben K. says:

This is the attitude of a Mets fan. Why does it have to be over? Why can’t we enjoy the games and not make proclamations about the seasons? They’re still playing the games; the season isn’t over yet.

• Steve says:

Not exactly. Just about every site that estimates playoff chances puts the Yanks around 1-2%. Its a very safe statement to declare the season over. If anything, the foolish statement is to still say we have a shot. That’s the position that has a 98% chance of being wrong.

I have no problem with people watching the games just for the enjoyment, thats what I’m doing. But having a negative attitude is just facing the overwhelmingly likely reality at this point.

• Hey D.B., thanks for having the unparalleled wisdom, intelligence, and foresight to know that the season is “over” weeks in advance of when it actually is. You’re brilliant, and your genius is only compounded by you having the gigantic testicles to make your grand pronouncements here on the internet for all to see. I’m sure we all wish we could see you in person, to marvel at how large and beautiful both your brain and testicles are.

Weeks from now, when we’re actually mathematically eliminated and you’re proven right, we all promise to send you a cookie as your reward for being the first to call it.

• Steve says:

You can mock, attack and attempt to belittle him all you want, the fact of the matter is our chances stand at around 1-2% by most websites that estimate these things.

If you’re offended by him stating what is a near certain fact and obvious to any fan who isn’t blind to reality, then I suggest you see a psychiatrist. You’re being irrational.

• Nobody is offended by him saying that we have virtually no chance. Everyone knows that. (Even though he omitted the important word “virtually”.)

We’re offended by the constant, condescending strain of smug fatalism and oneupsmanship that the “season’s over” posters repeatedly resort to, as if implying that those of us who would like to see the team continue to do the thing that they’re supposed to be doing (namely, competing to win ballgames) are somehow retarded losers to dumb to be allowed to speak.

Reasonably saying that we’ve got a snowballs chance in hell to make the playoffs and thus, the scheduling screwjob we’re victims to probably won’t change much in the long run is much more palatable to listen to than “stop complaining, dude, season’s over.”

By and large, they’re not saying what they’re saying to remind their fellow Yankee fans that our hill is so high, it’s likely unclimbable, they’re saying what they’re saying because they think they’re smarter than you, me, Cashman, Girardi, and all these “stupid” players who have the gall and temerity to keep trying to win ballgames.

5. Ivan says:

Here some good news, in MILB.Com you can watch the AAA playoffs for free.

6. Frank says:

People have been discussing whether or not to bring Brian Cashman back lately.

So I ask you; is there any clearer example of giving up on a season/team than continuing to run this awful rotation out there (and that’s what it is, awful) for the last TWO crucial months of the season.

A nice trade was made for a bat and bullpen help, and one can argue that trade will help us next season as much as currently. But nothing was done to improve perhaps the most important area of this team, the starting rotation.

I don’t know why people aren’t scratching their heads over this. And the same people continue to hope and root for a team who’s season is long since over. If the play on the field hasn’t been evidence enough, the moves (or lack thereof) of the GM should be.

• D.B. says:

u have to bring cashman back

• Frank says:

The point was more to point out that even the GM has given up on this season.

Where is Paul Byrd? Were the hopes of the season hung on a pitcher who’s shown no ability to even remain healthy to make these starts? A pitcher who hasn’t pitched since early last season?

If the Yankees org. truly had hopes this season, Joba would be starting in Ponson’s place next start, and a move would have been made to bring a SP here instead of another bat.

• Ben K. says:

Paul Byrd? You’re criticizing Cashman for not getting Paul Byrd and his 4.58 ERA?

Step back from that soap box and evaluate that complaint.

• Frank says:

Are Paul Byrd’s #s better than Ponson’s?

Are they better than Rasner’s?

Did either of those two shut down the Yankees in the clinching game of the ALDS?

I’m quite sure I’m not the one who needs to reevaluate anything.

• Ben K. says:

So you’re telling me you’d waste money or a trading chip to upgrade from one below average starting pitcher to another?

• Frank says:

How much money are we talking about? What “trading chip” do you mean. Absolutey nothing of value would have to be lost to pick up a player of his calibur.

And the performance of Ponson and Byrd is not as close as you would like to make it out to be.

I’m saying throw numbers at it. Like has been the trend this season, you pitch well, you pitch again. If not, there’s someone wating to take your place. There would have been zero downside to acquiring Paul Byrd… and he’s just a name… an example.

The fact is that this has been our rotation for the better part of two months. Something should have been done IMO. At least humor the fans who are holding onto this season. That’s it really.

• Ivan says:

Give me a break. Paul Byrd wouldn’t help this team.

Paul Byrd is not that good period.

• Mike A. says:

No, and neither did Byrd.

If Byrd was on any team but the Sox, no one would give a shit. Same reason people were bitching about Colon earlier in the year. It’s just because the Sox have him.

• Frank says:

Byrd clinched the ALDS and he continued to pitch well in the ALCS.. by his standards anyway.

I guess I’m the only one who would rather see him than Ponson. IMO Ponson has been even worse than could be expected over his last few starts.

• Ben K. says:

The marginal upgrade isn’t worth hanging Cashman for. He’s barely an upgrade anyway. You fire a GM for deep-rooted problems with the organization and the direction the team is heading. You don’t fire the GM because he didn’t pick up Paul Byrd as a waiver deal in August.

• No, Frank, pretty much all of us would prefer him over Ponson. But only you think that not acquiring him is a capital offense.

Dude is a russian-roulette gamble to have a good start, just like Ponson. Is he a bit less risky? Sure. But not enough of a difference to get your panties in a bunch over, and certainly not enough of a difference to be any sort of evidence that the GM is “giving up on the season”, as you foolishly suggest…

• Frank says:

NEVER said I wanted to fire Cash.

But I think it’s a fact he gave up on this season by not acquiring pitching help, whether it would have worked out or not.

I guess I’m just sick of seeing Ponson and to a lesser extent Rasner. And I mean I REALLY don’t like Ponson. I throw up in my mouth a little bit when he pitches.. and I had to vent.

• Ben K. says:

Paul Byrd is not pitching help. That’s the point. He didn’t give up on the season; he wanted to get Washburn, but the funny thing about trades is that a trade requires two willing partners.

Outside of Sabathia and Harden, pitchers of impact didn’t move at the deadline. The Yanks weren’t about to pay twice for Sabathia, and they weren’t going to be on Harden. You can’t blame Cashman for not creating something that wasn’t there in the first place.

If anything, the Nady/Marte trade proved that he wasn’t punting on the season. He wanted offense he got offense. You wanted pitching, but your priorities this summer were not the same as those coming out of the Yankees’ front office.

• Frank says:

The only foolishness comes from those who expect to make the playoffs with this rotation. For the record I’m fine with it. I don’t care if we win next season either. I’d rather see a rotation of Joba/Hughes/Brackman/McCallister/Bleich ect dominate. However long it takes. I’m willing to follow Cashman’s vision, at least for a few more years.

But he did give up on the season. That’s a fact. Byrd is just an example. NOTHING was done. That’s the point. And don’t ask me what I wanted to see happen b/c I don’t make millions of dollars to make those decisions.

• Ben K. says:

“NOTHING was done.”

That is, for lack of a better, blatantly wrong.

The Yanks traded for Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady, two of the bigger names out there. They sent Kyle Farnsworth packing for Ivan Rodriguez, a move that, at the time, everyone loved. Those are significant moves designed to bolster the team when it looked like they were poised to make a run.

Just because they didn’t do what you wanted them to do doesn’t mean that Brian Cashman gave up on the season.

I’m done with this argument. Feel free to have the last word.

• Frank says:

It’s funny b/c I was kind of hoping nothing would be done at the deadline, and total rebuilding was near.

But I thought that the 8-game streak after the All-Star break forced Cashman’s hand in the Nady trade. I guess I expected a pitcher to follow. You’re right about Seattle and Washburn, I know.

I guess I’m alone in thinking Byrd would have been an upgrade, at least in giving quality innings. But you’re right, the market was thin.

• Okay, Frank, I still disagree with you on the whole Cashman gave up on the season thing, but Darrell Rasner sure is doing a damn good job making your Paul Byrd mancrush look good right now…

• Frank says:

Not an argument just a discussion.

The NOTHING I referred to was on the pitching end. I’m well aware of the trades that were made.

I understand the market was thin. But it’s more of a statement to me. We’re going to keep trying to bring guys in here to win games. I don’t think I’m wrong when I say this rotation has been held together far too long, playoffs or no. Just my opinion. No reason to stop being a lady.

• Frank says:

They’re bad pitchers is all. In fact, in Ponson’s case, one of the worst. I can’t see why someone else, named Paul Byrd or not, couldn’t have been brought in to try and win games. World Series or not. It’s a statement to me. I mean, are they trying to develop Rasner or something? Do they expect him to be with this rotation long term?

Here’s the guy who should be getting starts in the first place, Aceves.

• Alberto says:

Fact is, and everyone here will deny it, but PONSON has NEVER EVER had an era lower than BYRD…….BYRD would have been by far the best way to go in the last 2 months…..its without question…..some of these guys are Cashman robots and follow him as if it were a cult

• Ivan says:

The problem with this team was the offense.

Yes the pitching wasn’t great but it wasn’t bad either. I mean a healthy Joba, with Moose and Pettitte is pretty solid. Not to mention Wang being out for the season.

Lets face it, Ponson is on this team cuz Wang got hurt and Rasner is pitching cuz Joba is hurt as well. Unless you wanted to trade for a starter, the yanks would have to pay a hefty price. Would you really trade young high potential players for one half of the season? To be honest I can pin this on the rotation. I really can’t.

The Rotation again wasn’t great but not terrible. If you look at the Replacement level site, stats show the yanks were in the middle of AL with pitching despite pitching behind a below average defense and injuries.

Like Cashman said, this offense was really the culprit of why this team never really turn the corner.

• Frank says:

Yet for all the people pushing for this team to make a run, you can’t be happy seeing this rotation week after week after week. And you have to be disappointed your GM wasn’t up to the challenge.

• Ben K. says:

You do know that the Yanks’ pitching this year has actually been better than it was last year?

The problem is that, up through now, the Yankees have scored 135 fewer runs in 2008 than they did through 139 games in 2007. The pitching is the least of it this year.

• Frank says:

Better how? Better ERA, maybe?

Not better in terms of innings. Where Ponson can’t get past 3, and as a result we have to see way too mcuh of guys like Edwar and Robertson in situations they shouldn’t be in. And an actual quality reliever in Veras unable to get it done b/c he’s been overused IMO.

• Steve says:

You’re right that the problem has been our run scoring, but our pitching is relatively the same as last year. 8th in ERA last year, 8th this year. The actual team ERA this year is lower, but run scoring is down all across Baseball. In relative terms and for all practical purposes its the same.

But again, you’re right that the difference between this years team and last year is run scoring. 1st in Runs scored last year, 9th this year and we will wind up scoring about 200 less overall, which is dramatic.

• Ivan says:

What you want Cash to do? Paul Byrd wouldn’t help. Ponson is on this rotation cuz Wang got hurt. Paul Byrd was not gonna replace the production of Wang just like Ponson.

Ras is here cuz hey Joba is hurt.

I really don’t see any other alternatives unless they were internal.

Again the rotation is the problem. Is is great no, but it ain’t terrible. Look at the #’s, Yanks are in the middle despite the fact they play behind an average at best D and injuries.

Unless you wanted a big pitcher here to make an impact, you have yo sacrifice some young and up and coming players for short term value.

I can’t really kill Cashman there.

7. Manimal says:

Giants are ROLLING. Burress makes everyone look silly.

8. Charles in SD says:

Kazmir is looking like a Little League pitcher.

9. Ivan says:

Can we talk about the game please.

10. Joey H says:

wow that is some lineup dont ya think? now that pudge has a little stroke i think he feels he can move him up for a sudden lineup switch

11. Yankee1010 says:

At some point, they stop starting Rasner and Ponson, right?

• BigBlueAL says:

Honestly, to me the most frustrating thing about this season is having to watch Ponson and Rasner start as much as they have in such an important part of the season.

• Yankee1010 says:

Great. Aceves is warming up now. That means that Ponson will go on Saturday. Honestly, why not give Aceves a shot to start? Throw Kennedy out there and see what he can do this month. Running Ponson and Rasner out there isn’t goin to help the organization in the short-term or the long-term.

Ponson and Rasner are the big suck.

See above.

12. Jake H says:

Rasner sucks bad.

13. Mike Pop says:

Ras’s last start

14. cupz says:

Tuck is a demon off the edge man…

15. Jake H says:

Yank Rasner now

16. Mike Pop says:

Ras is a triple A pitcher plain and simple .. everyone knows that i know

17. BigBlueAL says:

Honestly, what do Rasner and Ponson have to do to NOT get anymore starts this season????

18. Mike Pop says:

Cowboys are gonna win it all this year sorry to the giants fans

19. Is it me, or does Al Aceves look like a slightly less greasy, chubby version of Bartolo Colon?

20. Bill N says:

Q :What’s the quickest way to end a winning streak ?
    A: Rasner

Anybody going to the sept 14th game against the Rays ? I’m going sitting in section 39 of the bleachers.

21. Steve says:

OOOOOHHH!! ACEVES!!!

This is what I’ve been looking forward to, seeing some of the kids get a chance to show what they got. I’ve had my fill of Rasner, thank you very much.

22. Mike Pop says:

Did anyone go to the NFL Draft this past year ? I was there it was one of the coolest sports involving things in my life

23. Stryker says:

hahahahahaha darrell rasner.

24. Steve says:

Don’t you just love the look on Aceves’ face when he pitches?

Its like if he doesn’t strike you out, he’s going to shoot you in the head.

25. Jake H says:

that curve is good.

26. BigBlueAL says:

These are the 2008 Yankees Ive so grown to know and love, not the imposters we saw the last 2 games….

27. Mike Pop says:

Was there ever a chance to deal Rasner in the past ? I wish we coulda dealt him when he had his early success this year

28. Frank says:

Go look at Rasner and Ponson’s numbers over their last 4 or 5 starts. Then come back and tell me Cashman and co. haven’t given up on this season. It’s beyond my reasoning to comprehend why they would continue to pitch in semi-important late season games.

If absolutely nothing else, I’m worried about the health and overuse of the bullpen as these guys cannot get through a couple innings.

29. Frank says:

Were the Giants underdogs in this game?

30. Steve says:

Just in case anyone missed this from LoHud

“UPDATE, 7:12 p.m.: Via Brian Cashman, X-rays on Bobby Abreu’s wrist were negative.”

31. Mike A. says:

Ajax just took Buchholz deep. 3-R shot tied the game.

32. Steve says:

Here’s another piece o’ news

“CHICAGO — Chicago Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano has right rotator cuff tendinitis and inflammation, an MRI confirmed, a blow to Chicago’s chances of winning the World Series for the first time in a century.

Zambrano received a shot of anti-inflammatory medication and hopes to return to the rotation next week.”

Must be from the way they used him out of the bullpen earlier this year.

33. cult of basebaal says:

jebus, damon’s REALLY got to figure out how to make the sliding catch on those balls

34. Frank says:

Great effort from Cano. People need to give him props as much as they kill him.

35. Mike A. says:

Thome and Manny for the trivia?

36. Steve says:

OK, I’ve been wondering this for a while, so let me ask Mike.

Why are some posters names in blue and others not? I thought that it was for the 3 of you who run the site, but lately I’ve noticed Jamal is blue, Mike Pop is and now the inimitable Peter Quintiliani is in blue.

How does this work?

37. BigBlueAL says:

For anyone with an iPod/iPhone/iTouch I just found out that the iTunes store now sells MLB.com’s Baseball’s Best which is over 60 complete classic games for only $1.99 per game. Shitload of Yankees games on there. I have some/will have some that are sold on different Yankees DVD’s, but there are a few games that I am downloading since they arent available on any DVD. Only thing they do take up roughly 2GB each.

38. Dumbass LoHuder of the day:

“Wouldn’t it be great to see Tampa collapse like the Mets did last year and miss the playoffs altogether? I think it’s still possible, they have a pretty tough schedule coming up.”

• Steve says:

What’s so dumb about that? Half a Baseball has been waiting for the Rays to collapse all year. If it happens in September, I don’t think it will shock anyone. If you look at the Rays run differential, it looks like they’ve been playing over their heads all year.

We don’t have much of a shot, but the RedSox (3 back) are right there. It will be interesting to see how such a young team handles a surging, experienced BoSox team breathing down their necks.

The Twins are 5 behind the Sox, so thats still a ways off. But one good week by them and one bad week by the Rays could change everything.

39. Mike Pop says:

tommiejohncarlossmith i talked to you at the draft when everyone was in line asscheek to asscheek cause the line broke down. i was so pist when that happend

40. Alberto says:

NYY TEAM ERA
    2003- 4.02 (last time made the WS)
    2004- 4.69
    2005- 4.52
    2006- 4.41
    2007- 4.49
    2008- 4.38

Will it ever get better than just average? Better Question: will the general public EVER notice this team’s pitching has been a major joke for a long long time??

PEOPLE WHO PLACE MOST OF THE BLAME ON RUNS SCORED FOR THIS SEASON’S DEBACLE ARE FOOLS…..OPEN YOUR EYES !!
    What we’ve learned this year is that UNLESS we score 950-1,000 runs every single season and finish 1st or 2nd in runs scored,we CANT win 95 games because we flat out REFUSE to improve our average pitching. We refuse to ever have a team era better than 4.50 (middle of the pack).

• Mike A. says:

Holy crap, stop it please. This is like, the 5th thread you’ve posted that it. You’ve made your point. Pretty soon the spam filter is going to block you if you keep that up.

• Mike Pop says:

we are going in the right direction our era is 4.38 with ponson and rasner both being over 5 =]

• Alberto says:

yeah other years our era is what it is with the boatload of waiver wire spot starters such as: depaula,graman,halsey,loaiza,marsonek,nitkowski,osbourne,prinz,sturtze,jason anderson,colter bean,chacon,embree,franklin,groom,henn,darrell may, tim redding, felix rodriguez, aaron small, jaret wright, heredia, karsay, gabe white, padilla, leiter, ponson (twice), beam, erickson, kartens, lidle, clippard, desalvo, ohlendork, igawa, chase wright……….just to name a “few”…this is only like the past 3 yrs

• Alberto says:

i dont think I’ve made my point enough…..the overwhelming majority (including Cashman) STILL think the boatload of spot starters and using #3 starters as your #1,2 is NORMAL!! , this kind of stupidity has doomed and will continue to doom this team until you WAKE UP

PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP……

• Alberto says:

should I stop because the truth hurts? THIS TEAM’S PITCHING HAS BEEN A JOKE FOR TOO LONG AND EVERYONE IGNORES IT, IM NOT GOING TO SIT BACK ANYMORE…..

• Alberto says:

panson and rasner basically ANNIHILATED any hopes of a 2nd half surge…….people still blame runs scored……..these two fools have never had a good string of starts ever in their lives…..Sir Sidney is used to having a 6era

• Mike A. says:

No, you should stop because it’s annoying as fuck. State your case, and let it be. No need to keep going and going and going, it’s childish.

I didn’t know that Ben warned you earlier. If you keep it up, you’ll be banned, this is the last warning.

Post about something else. Bitch about Rasner sucking tonight, bitch about A-Rod not hitting in the clutch, but stop spamming the site with the same thing over and over and over.

• Alberto says:

this IS about Rasner sucking tonight!! (and about the pitching sucking in general)

People are on this thread complaining about why the runs scored are not the best in the league since that is the only way this team can win 95. This is notion being spread around CONSTANTLY in every thread and why don’t you consider THAT to be off-topic?

• SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!!!!!

IT’S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Frank says:

I assume you mean me. Don’t lump me in with this fool. Please go re-read my posts and stop waggging your little baby nuts around throwing a temper tantrum.

• cult of basebaal says:

umm, what part of Ben’s request earlier today to not post the SAME THING in thread after thread didn’t you quite understand?!?!?

i sorry, was something in the following unclear?

“On another note, stop posting the same off-topic Cashman/pitching rants in every thread. We know your position, and we’re sick of hearing it ad nauseum day in and day out. We don’t like to ban people, but we respectfully ask people to keep comments new and on-topic. That’s not happening here.”

• Alberto says:

whats off topic? Rasner is out there embarassing us every time out…..

I have a question to ask those who bash me, why do you want to shut me up? Is the crappy pitching OK? Do you choose to ignore glaring problems? Are you fine with mis-leading information being spread to the masses that in turn causes your team to be more of a joke for more years to come?

Does the truth hurt that much enough to just ignore it? I’m confused….

• “I have a question to ask those who bash me, why do you want to shut me up?”

It’s not because you don’t have a point worthy of discussion or reasoned debate. It’s because you make it in the most annoying, repetitive, loud, obnoxious way possible.

Calm down, switch to decaf, ease back on the whole paranoia “Why can only those as super-smart as I see the truth?!?” rhetoric, and we can talk about this like grownups.

• Alberto says:

I have approached this site in a grown-up way but all I got is similar to what I am getting now, “whatever, oh but Joba is awesome, Cashman got us Aaron Small, Panson hasnt been that bad”…….

I am extremely frustrated that after so long, the problem STILL cannot be correctly identified. This can make someone go crazy. That is where I am at….at the verge of going absolutely nuts with this…..i just wish some of you would wake up…

• Okay, fine. If it makes you go crazy, take a Zoloft, drink some herbal tea, and take a screwdriver to break off the caps lock key off your keyboard, because nobody wants to read shit like that.

But stop acting like the rest of us are willfully deluding ourselves and you are the messenger of reason descended from on high to wake the sheeple from our Matrix-like slumber. We just disagree with you on some shit, that’s all.

• Alberto says:

I think it’s pretty awesome that you are not specific about what you exactly disagree with. To me, that is a sign of admission to what I have been explaining but it is still hard for you admit.

You and many others are acting as brainwashed robots….you are in a position where you cant disagree with me, the facts are there….I am an advocate for “agreeing to disagree” but this is not a situation where you can disagree……you can continue to be in denial, thats about it….it’s your choice, Neo

• I think it’s pretty awesome that you’re totally ignoring everything we keep saying (that it’s your paranoid-over-the-top-antics that are annoying, not any actual point you may or may not be making)

… while saying that we need to stop ignoring you.

You’re like a poor man’s Andy Kaufman.

• Alberto says:

Yeah, instead of actually talking to me like a human being, you are picking at my paranoid antics. My paranoid antics arise because I think we have SERIOUS problem here that still cannot be identified by the general public.

You are like a poor man’s Brian Cashman.

• Dude, are you a bot? I keep waiting for you to end your posts with an ad for how to rebuild my credit or where to buy penis enlargement pills.

• Alberto says:

I should made a deal with Guiseppe Franco so that I can send my message throughout his commercials…..yeah, keep ignoring the garbage pitching and prepare for more spot starters…..more losing season, more stuggles, more easy first round exits…….while boston bends over backwards to get their starters, we go out and get more hitters

• Jamal G. says:

I like how your using stats that disprove your argument.

disprove this:

• Geno says:

Dude, your arguments are bizarre. First, who exactly offered us a team era below 4.50 for us to refuse? Second, plenty of teams have finished lower than 2nd in runs scored and won more than 95 games.

See, a fallacy is inherently untrue, so disproving it is simply a matter of stating it, which you did. In essence, you prove yourself wrong.

• Alberto says:

wow, i didnt think i’d get replies from people who can’t read

-we “refuse” to reduce the era by ignoring the fact there is a serious issue there. We blame our struggles and first round exits as a result of poor hitting meanwhile the starting pitching clearly has been a joke. Nothing has been done to bring a top flight starter. One of the best was being waved in our faces last winter and we passed.

-My point is that THIS team cannot be less than 2nd in runs scored and win 95 games BECAUSE THIS TEAM REFUSES TO WIN THROUGH PITCHING. The first round exits are because we have nobody that shuts down any baseball team. Pitching wins championships, its been said a million times.

• Geno says:

Alberto, you make me smile. Injuries sunk the pitching, and you know it. Your “argument” is a straw man, and your manic style makes me think you’re mentally unstable.

41. Manimal says:

I love when rookies throw breaking balls with a full count. Shows some balls. IPK should take note.

42. Frank says:

Willy Aybar is an angry… angry man.

43. giselle says:

HEY! did you guys know that scott kazmir changed a couple of veterans’ music in the mets training room? i guess he was traded because of that. just wanted to point that out.

also, jon lester had cancer.

44. Mike Pop says:

Lol @ Leiter ! Dude just said some funny shit

45. Mike Pop says:

3 run shot !!!!!!!!

46. Jamal G. says:

Eli, stop being a dick.

47. Steve says:

Somehow it always comes down to Alex . . . . its such a coincidence . . . . its like cosmic. . . . . how the stars and moons align to put him in the center of big spots. . . . . .

. . . . . or, its just the fact that he’s the #4 hitter and our best guys hit in front of him.

Nah, I’m going with the cosmic stuff. Better sports narrative.

48. Mike A. says:

Justin Tuck is a man, he’s 40.

49. Frank says:

Aceves really needs to stop floating that ball inside.

50. Jamal G. says:

Oh man, the Giants are not going to miss a single beat when Amani Toomer retires. Steve Smith looks like a damn good possession receiver.

51. Jamal G. says:

So as a starter, what are we looking at with the Mexican Gangster? Closer to a middle-of-the-rotation guy than a back-end starter?

52. Ivan says:

Finally Im back.

53. Mike A. says:

And Trenton takes the lead in the 8th!!!

54. Ivan says:

Skins Offense suck.

55. Batty says:

Boy, I hope Aceves gets the nod next time around, let Rasner be the long arm.

56. Frank says:

That kid Snyder is showing what he can do against the Twinks. He’s 20-years-old. He’s gonna be a beast.

57. D.B. says:

hey mike,

mccallister or masterson?

58. Jamal G. says:

Is that Pete Kendall taking off Antonio Pierce’s helmet? What a little bitch.

59. Axl says:

I just got offered Torry Holt for Steve Smith…what do you think?

60. Mike Pop says:

Big L was the man Eminem first couple cds were so sick no1 could touch him his lyrics were amazing…. jay z was sick but emeinem killed him

• Mike A. says:

Notorious F.A.T. crushed ‘em all.

• Big, Jay, Nas, Rakim, KRS, Pac, Pun, Big L, Kane, Black Thought, Mos, Kweli, Free, Ghost, GZA, Red, G.Rap, Andre Big Boi, Dres, Del, Common…

…all better than Eminem, Wayne, Jadakiss, Kanye, 50, or any of the other newcomer pretenders to the throne.

• Mike Pop says:

in your biased opinion alot of the names you mentioned are great but eminem tops some of those on your list in a HUGE way and Jada can murder people iin freestylez that is what he is best at .. mos and kweli i love.. omg definition by blackstar is so sick

• Ivan says:

Huge Big L, really unfortunate he died. Love Eminem (still gets underrated)

But Hov is just plain great. Best Rapper Since B.I.G. Died.

• Jamal G. says:

A friend of mine in HS was his nephew. Donald some-shit.

• Mike Pop says:

Jay Z is not as lyrically gifted as eminem is ,, lol ifthat makes sense.. eminem made the sickest rhyumes he had stories in his songs … the song stan omg dude that was genious

• Ivan says:

Disagree, I think Jay has the better lyricist. Has more flows, his Metaphors and Punch-lines are some of the best in Hip-Hop history and he’s a better story teller. I like Em alot, I really do but Jay has him beat.

• God, “Stan” sucked so bad. Utterly average, and not even close to Em’s best work… in fact, one of his worst. Hackneyed and cliched.

Eminem is a great lyricist, no doubt, but not even close to top 10 all time like many make him out to be. Just a solid, good, creative rapper… on par with Jeru the Damaja, O.C., Canibus, people like that. Good, but second tier.

• Mike Pop says:

what are you talking about it was voted like a top 5 song of all time .. u think u know everything tommiejohn but your so wrong eminem kkills more than half the rappers you name ill give u jay z or w.e but the other guys i dont think so and eminem is not 2nd tier you couldnt be more wrong

61. Jamal G. says:

B-Jax is an animal. Looks even more agile than before. Now he doesn’t look agile for a big dude, he just looks quick on his feet in general.

62. Jamal G. says:

If there was ever such a thing as a “clutch” Punter, Jeff Feagles is one.

63. D.B. says:

brady=greatest qb of all time

64. Mike Pop says:

Tuck is playing very well tonight

65. Ivan says:

Bad Drop by Moss.

66. D.B. says:

hey mike,

hughes or gallardo-brewers pitcher i cant spell

67. Ron says:

So did Pudge just forget how to block the plate since he came to the Yanks or did he never know how? Navarro was safe because Pudge didn’t properly block the plate. Thankfully, we got the call. But really, that’s a pretty basic move for any catcher, let alone a HOF one.

68. Mike A. says:

Calling up Melky? Boooo.

69. I can’t believe the Republican Convention is actually playing Johnny B. Goode right now, moments before McCain speaks. Who’s tonight’s headliner, Chubby Checker? Pat Boone? Mel Torme?

70. Mike Pop says:

Does Pat Venditte have the stuff to be a quality major league reliever ?

71. Jamal G. says:

My Mariano, Washington’s clock management blows.

72. Ivan says:

Moment of Truth who ya pick:

Jay-Z or Nas?

To me, it’s Jay-Z Period.

• Jay-Z is like Emmitt Smith. He was never really the best or amazed you with anything, but he never had a bad season/album and he kept putting out quality, quality shit that you could listen to over and over again and 10 years later, you look back and are amazed at his ability to stay fresh, relevant, etc.

Nas is Gayle Sayers. He exploded on the scene and was so much better than anything anyone had ever imagined of, and then he was gone like Keyzer Soze. What makes it worse for Nas is that, unlike Sayers, he didn’t actually retire but instead churned out garbage CD after garbage CD. But Illmatic must be recognized as the best album in the history of hip hop, even though it’s only 9 songs long (and nothing else is really close.)

In the end, I choose… neither. Rakim is still the king.

73. Batty says:

Briton picked a bad day to forget how to pitch. Then again it’s probably been so long that it’s a wonder he remembers which uniform number is his.

Just noticed that his fastball sits in the high 80′s – think that’s why they never really gave him a chance?

74. Mike Pop says:

Stan– #3 rap song according to Q magazine and 290th best song of all time according to rolling stone.. mind u not just rap songs all songs ….The song is perhaps Eminem’s most critically acclaimed song and has been called a ‘cultural milestone’.[1] and referred to as “Eminem’s best song” by About.com.[2

75. Mike Pop says:

you just think your 100 percent correct there is no getting around to you at all you still think Stan sucked and had no effect on hip hop/rap at all even tho i put up all that info for u .. i respect ur opinions cuz u obv know what your talking bout but you only care what you have to say lol.. w.e bro good talking to you we should talk bout it again during tomorrrows game

• Naw, I don’t think I know everything, I just say some shit pretty matter of factly, I guess. But this is a convo I’ve had thousands of times before with hundreds of different people. I’ve come across tons of Eminem fans who haven’t really listened to a ton of stuff that came before him, and I think they overinflate his stuff just because they don’t know the greats of the late 80′s / early-to-mid 90′s at the peak of hip hop and can’t compare it. I’ve listened to a lot of Em and he’s got some great verses, but i don’t think they stand toe to toe with the best of Nas, Big, jay, Rakim, Mos Def, or Black Thought, that’s all.

You listen to the Roots? Black Thought is a nasty muthafucka…

• E-ROC says:

Can’t forget about Talib Kweli or Common or Kanye West.

Let’s not go overboard with the bashing of Eminem. He is one of the greatest rappers of all time, atleast in the top ten. He is the highest selling rapper ever. He is one of the best lyricists ever. One of the best storytellers ever. Eminem is legit and he even won an Oscar.

• Talib and Common, yes. Kanye, no.

Here’s an actual Kanye verse:

“I’m Kan, the Louis Vuitton Don
          Bought my mom a purse, now she’s Louis Vuitton Mom!”

ugh.

and btw, record sales is a bad correlation to quality of rapper. Please Hammer, Don’t Hurt ‘Em and Speakerboxx/The Love Below both sold about 10 times as many units as Illmatic, Ready to Die, 36 Chambers, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar, Things Fall Apart, The Low End Theory, Only Built for Cuban Linx, Paid in Full, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Reasonable Doubt, etc., etc.

People buy albums because MTV and radio play pump a song up with a catchy hook and people who don’t like rap or listen to hip hop with any regularity just have to have “Hey Ya!” in their catalog. So Em selling a bunch of albums doesn’t make him better than somebody else by default.

• E-ROC says:

I don’t think Stan had that big of an effect on hip-hop. Lose Yourself was the most impactful song by Eminem.

76. Mike A. says:

Holy shit, we have ourselves a game.

77. Jamal G. says:

This is why tack-on runs fucking suck.

78. Mike A. says:

So was that homer clutch? What are the guidelines for this?

• Jamal G. says:

It’s another solo HR, definitely not clutch. Derek Jeter did it with guys on-base, A-Rod did not. Never mind the fact that A-Rod just went back-to-back, silly facts like that do not count for shit.

79. Mike A. says:

Hey, at least they’re guaranteed to win tomorrow.

80. Jamal G. says:

Three moon shots for the Yanks this series, one by Nady in the series opener, and two of them by A-Rod in the last two games.

81. Mike A. says:

1 pitch X? Come on.

82. Manimal says:

last time jeter and arod went back to back. The trop. I was there. I only saw the second one because jeter’s hr was while I was in line for hot dogs. Not joking.

83. Via PeteAbe:

“UPDATE, 9:55 p.m.: A little breaking news for you. Brian Cashman has told the beat writers that Melky Cabrera will join the team tomorrow.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!