Nov

Open Thread: Happy Mo Day

All is quiet on the Yankee front. No one on the team has accidentally shot themselves. And while the Red Sox seem to be closing in on Junichi Tazawa, no one seems to be too impressed with him.

But as we open up this thread on Saturday night, we do have one thing to mention: Today is the 39th birthday of Mariano Rivera. I hope His Mo-ness is having a good one wherever he may be celebrating.

You know the drill. Open thread, anything goes. Just play nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Chris G. says:

Enough about Tazawa. I think that this Uehara guy is far more interesting. I know that no one has the Yanks interested in him, but wouldn’t you want to give a guy who won the JPN pitching title twice a look? I know scouts haven’t said anything bad about him, but is there any kind of scouting report out on him?

• Ben K. says:

If he weren’t going to be 34 on Opening Day, I’d give him a look. Otherwise, there are proven MLB pitchers younger than that who would probably command a comparable salary.

2. Eric says:

I brought this up in the other thread but it seems to be dead so let’s start it off here…

When does everyone think 3K hits and 500 HRs will stop being “magic numbers” for HOF enshrinement?

I hope the 3K hit parade ends at Craig Biggio…

• andrew says:

now that the steroid era is coming to an end i feel like the luster of 500 homeruns may actually be restored. that being said, a guy like howard who could hit 500 with a .240 avg would not be automatic

• Baseballnation says:

“I hope the 3K hit parade ends at Craig Biggio…”

Jeter says Hi! He has a real shot at 3,500hits barring seriojus injury which is just awesome. 600 hr’s is the new 500 and 3, 500 hits is the new 3,000. What I think is increasingly a difficult accolade to have a shot at is 300 wins. With the way pitchers are 6 inning pitchers now a days I think the number 300 becomes ever more elusive thus it’s exclusivity. That and Giambi’s Stache….And No I don’t pronounce that in an anglo tongue or it kills the awesomeness to it…You gotta say it with a deep foreign tone “The Stache.” Well that and a whales vigina

• Eric says:

Jeter also has a better BA/OBP/SLG/OPS/OPS+ than Biggio. He’s a much better candidate than Biggio. Biggio’s only real argument is his 3K hits, and that’s just because he stuck around for a long time.

I’m not saying that 3K hits shouldn’t count for something but it shouldn’t just be taken at face value like it will be for Biggio.

• RollingWave says:

errr no, Biggio was a pretty solid case with or withour 3000H, you have to look at the middle infielders actually in the hall, aside from the best of the best (Ripkin, Hornsby, Wagner etc) he’s better than almost everyone else, he’s peak was remarkable, he lasted long enough at a good rate. Jeter’s better than him, but that says a lot more about Jeter’s obvious accomplishment than Biggio’s lack of.

3. Eric says:

So you think a hitter like Harmon Killebrew wouldn’t get elected today?

• Baseballnation says:

He would. He had power like the frog on the sugar smacks box…but i just don’t think that 500 is as automatic as it was 6-7 years ago and that might be attributed to athletes becoming bigger, stronger, ball parks smaller, and of course the whole steroid crappa…I’ll tell you something Mcmouth I won’t vote for you to get into the hall though! lol.

4. brockdc says:

Mo bless us, every one.

5. Will says:

Watched Yankee classics today, i love being home from college because of YES. It was the 2001 series where jeter hit the hr in the bototm of the 10th, Mr November. I realize that even back then, I was too young to realize it at the time, Kay was annoying as hell when he spoke. Mo pitched the top of the inning, so i guess it relates.

6. Mike says:

Any updates on how Yeico Calderon is doing down in the dominican?

7. Frank says:

Today is Mo’s birthday. Doesn’t that make it Christmas somehow?

• Eric says:

More like Christmas, Thanksgiving, the Fourth of July, Boxing Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, Washington/Lincoln/MLK’s Birthdays, Columubs Day, Easter, Good Friday, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hasshanna, Ramadan, and the Solstices all rolled into one.

8. Eric says:

Mike Patrick just said “Quack Attack, eh?” I did not see the Mighty Ducks. I was annoyed.

9. VO says:

Does anyone notice how underappreciated Mo is throughout MLB. He is probablly the most unnoticed superstar there is.

• Steve says:

Huh? He’s only referred constantly to as the greatest closer in the history of Baseball, and a 1st ballot HOFer. He gets regularly referred to as as deity on this very website.

10. Conan the Barack O'Brian says:

Anybody have a take on Neyer’s article on Sabathia? Not a new issue or anything, but definitely not something to dismiss outright…

• Matt C says:

I though neyers article was true and accurate. Sabathia is not like Zito, Hampton or Brown, or maybe there not like him. The only flaw on Sabathia is his weight and being able to stay healthy because of his weight. I beleive thats the only reason there offering him 6 years. He’ll only be 34 years old. Another thing to think about Sabathia coming to the Yanks is they very rarely allow a pitcher go 8,9 innings so being overworked shouldnt be an issue.

• Steve says:

The stuff about 100 mil contracts has less to do with the money than who they signed and where, so that’s no biggie. The stuff about his build has yet to show up in any injuries, and in fact his massive size is what the Yanks LIKE about him. Not the weight, but the huge frame which allows him to put less torque on his body and still be a power pitcher. Big power pitchers tend to hold up better than little ones like Pedro or Guidry.

He’s a lefty, young, has a clean health history, and is one of the best pitcher in Baseball. If you’re going to worry about him you’ll never sign anyone.

11. Eric says:

Holy crap, that McKnight dude on USC is faaaaaaaaaast.

12. Matt C says:

Anybody hear about the Orioles being the 3rd team in the Peavy trade

• Mike Pop says:

Ya I definitely didnt see it at first but the more I think bout it the more it makes sense since they were targeting Pie and Olson was who the Pads wanted for Khalil

• Steve says:

Yeah. I’m starting to feel a bit sorry for Kevin Towers. The Cubs have repeatedly said they’re out, and yet he keeps bringing them up. Pretty soon he will be coming out with 4 way trade proposals involving the Havana Industriales and the Nippon Ham Fighters, and people will just look at him with a sense of pity.

13. Matt M says:

what an interesting baseball card on the left…for all of our sakes, im glad mo decided to quit being a miami vice taxi driver and picked up a baseball instead.

14. E-ROC says:

That Tyrone Willingham Charlie Weis sucks.

15. Derek says:

is that edwar ramirez on the left?

16. Mike Pop says:

Anyone think we could get Dunn on a 1 year 18 million dollar deal ?

• Eric says:

I wouldn’t mind that but I’d really like to have him for three years with an option for a fourth.

• Mike Pop says:

Ya dude the more I been thinking bout it in the past couple days the more I feel like it makes sense for us to get him… Especially if we are talking in the 64 to 68 million range.. That seems like a great dea for us to have a guy like him in our lineup..

17. Mike Pop says:

Whats better assuming Pettite comes back for both options ?

CC and Tex or CC, Dunn, and Sheets ?

18. Manimal says:

Man, Ace Ventura is a classic.

19. Dave says:

I dont understand rosenthal’s comments. It seems that he is under the impression that if pettitte is offered arbitration and accepts that the yanks will be forced to pay pettitte more than the 16 million he got last season. Couldn’t they pay him as low as a 20 percent decrease from last years salary which would be about 13 million? That is high but I was thinking the lowest they would re-sign him for would be 10 million no matter what the circumstances. They could potentially get two excellent draft picks and only run the risk of paying pettitte 3 million more – i think they would do that over running the risk of losing pettitte and getting absolutely nothing from the dodgers. Particularly because the dodgers have such high draft picks and pettitte’s type A status.

20. mike G. says:

so what the hell are we going to do when mo retires?