Jan

Get your very own Manager of the Year Award

In 2003, Tony Peña, the Yanks’ current bench coach, won Manager of the Year when his Kansas City Royals finished with a winning record for the first time since 1994. This week, Peña seemingly auctioned off his trophy on eBay. It seems that the winning bid was for a whopping $200. So clearly Tony wasn’t after the big bucks. I do wonder though what the backstory is.

Categories : Asides

1. Paulie says:

Why would he sell this? Does he really need the $200? If so, the Yankees should be paying him more, haha.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

If it was sold on consignment as stated, that it was probably given to someone in lieu of payment for something else, and the guy he gave it to was the one who actually sold it.

Personally, I like the idea. He didn’t ask for the trophy, and his team folded in the second half that year and went nowhere. I wouldn’t be overly attached to it if I was him, either.

2. Mike Pop says:

I don’t get this.

3. VO says:

Why didn’t I find out about this? I would have bought that and put it right into my empty trophy case.

4. Manimal says:

Sox make another move (MLBTR)

Aardsma for Fabian Williamson

I thought Aardsma was decent, I have no clue who Williamson is.

• Manimal says:

NVM, Aardsma had a 5.55 ERA, and Williamson isn’t even in A ball yet. Makes no sense but obviously, Williamson will be a star, otherwise Theo wouldn’t have traded for him.

• Manimal says:

I stand corrected, he has played ONE game in A ball.

• Ben K. says:

…and has never had anything to do with Tony Peña and his Manager of the Year Award.

The Open Thread hits at 7, as it does every night when there’s no game. Save your obsession with discussion of inconsequential Red Sox moves for that one.

5. [...] Ben K. of River Avenue Blues reports that Tony Pena’s Manager of the Year Award was on eBay for $200. [...]

6. John says:

I would have sold it at least a thousand…guessing from the looks of the trophy, he didnt really care about it.

7. 27 this year says:

Brian Bruney asked for $1.55M vs the Yankees $1.1M.

Melky asked for $1.7M while the Yankees $1.2M.

Why would the Yanks offer more to Melky when clearly Bruney has more value considering Melky is no more than a 4th OF.

8. Mike R. says:

Melky signed for 1.4 million. It is on lohud.

9. The Evil Empire says:

I’m sorry I’m still understanding this arbitration thing, if they don’t reach on a deal i.e Ryan Howard and the Phillies, does that mean he becomes a FA right now?

10. The Evil Empire says: