Jan

Open Thread: WBC provisional rosters

Provisional rosters for the sixteen countries taking part in the ’09 version of the World Baseball Classic were released earlier this evening on MLB Network, and I stupidly anticipated a thorough breakdown of each roster, or at least a graphic showing the players on each country’s squad. Instead I got a bunch of chit chat between analysts and famous players who called in, with the occasional note mixed in regarding big name players on a specific team.

Anywho, here’s a list of all the Yankees’ players I managed to find on various clubs:

USA: SS Derek Jeter (this was obvious since he was on stage for the WBC press conference during the winter meetings)
Dominican Republic: 3B Alex Rodriguez, 2B Robinson Cano

Woo hoo.

CC Sabathia declined the opportunity to play. Ex-Yanks Bobby Abreu and Pudge Rodriguez will suit up for Venezuela and Puerto Rico, respectively. They said the rosters would be available on the WBC site, but I can only find the 2006 rosters.

These are just the provisional 45-man rosters; 25-man rosters don’t have to be finalized until February 24th. The tournament starts 45 days from now in Tokyo, Mexico City, Toronto and San Juan. Tickets went on sale today; there will be games played in Petco, Dodger Stadium, and Dolphins Stadium.

Update (7.42pm): The provisional rosters are up. In addition to A-Rod, Jeter and Cano who I mentioned above, Al Aceves & Jorge Vazquez will be playing for Mexico, Melky Cabrera, Edwar Ramirez, Jose Veras & Damaso Marte for the DR, Frankie Cervelli for Italy (Italy!), Jahdiel Santamaria for Panama, and Kai Lui and Zhenwang Zhang For China (you remember those two).

Here’s your open thread. The Knicks already beat the Bulls and the Islanders already lost to the Capitals (you get one guess:  who do you think scored both Caps’ goals?). The only local team in action tonight is the Devils, who are out in Nashville. I’ll be kicking it with the new episodes of House and 24. You know the routine, talk about whatever, just be nice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Matt says:

The Dominican IF is insane.

2. Raul says:

Ovechkin of course. Hes probably the most exciting player in the league in years. But the NHL’s failure to introduce him to mainstream America is why they don’t have a huge fanbase. ESPN blitzes through the hockey highlights to get to everything else. If the NHL could sign a contract with them for Saturday nights after the college football season the following of the NHL would skyrocket

• Matt says:

I would definitely watch it. I think hockey is a great game but I just can’t get myself into it and I don’t know why; I always loved going to games but could never follow it on TV.

3. Um..err…ALEXANDER OVECHKIN!

4. Matt says:

The WBC trophy scored both goals?

5. VO says:

Is there any political genious’s out there? If so, at 12:00 Bush’s presidency ends. Now Obama will be sworn in not exactly at 12:00, if while or before(12:00) he is getting sworn in, god forbid there is a terrorist attack of some sort, who gives the orders?

6. Rafi says:

I will hopefully be at that Sunday game in Toronto. Come on USA vs. Venezuela!

7. Manimal says:

I’m in need of some new house episodes. The old episodes on TNT don’t cut it for me.

8. Mike Pop says:

If Adam Dunn only gets 5 per year, we have to get on that, no?

9. Jamal G. says:

Has anybody else been experience some shittastic Optimum service in the Brooklyn area over the past three or four days?

10. Manimal says:

No Mariano and Jorge in the WBC, good to see.

11. Mike Pop says:

Those Chinese kids going to be any good?

12. teixburnathia says:

How insane is Venezuela’s starting pitching. Johan, Felix Hernandez and Carlos Zambrano

13. dkidd says:

i was thinking about the state of our outfield defense in relation to dunn at 5M. what is the make-up of our 2009 and beyond staff (cc/burnett/wang/joba/hughes), fly ball or ground ball? know about wang, not so sure about the new guys…

14. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I think the Yankees ought to take a flier on Chinese Tapai pitcher Ching-Lung Lo. Pretty impressive YouTube video.

15. BigBlueAL says:

Am I the only one laughing my ass off at the fact that Melky actually was named to the DR roster of 45 players???? I assume there would have to be 20 injuries for him to make the final 25 man roster.

• BigBlueAL says:

Actually looking at their roster now he might actually make it since besides the 3 best OFer’s (Soriano, Vlad and Guillen) the only other CF is Willy Taveras and the only other OFer period is Moises Alou!!! Only 6 OFers and to be honest because of his D and the lack of D from most of the other OFers he might make it.

That would be bad for him I assume in terms of trying to earn the CF spot if it really is a competition between him and Gardner.

16. Joey H says:

Here when I first saw this it cracked me up. I had to post it myself. http://thejoeyhshow.blogspot.c.....whore.html

17. Januz says:

I have no interest in the WBC (Very few Yankees are even involved, which says something). I can’t wait until Super Bowl Sunday, when the Steelers get Super Bowl Title number SEVEN. Any thoughts on the game?

• Jamal G. says:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have won only five Super Bowls.

• Jay CT says:

Yeah. I think the Cards win. I know it sounds stupid, but Pitt has all the pressure. Arizona thus far in the playoffs has looked good on both sides of the ball and they have no pressure at all going in. I do think Pitt can D them up, but I just have this feeling that Arizona is this years “Team of Destiny.”

• Mike A. says:

…I just have this feeling that Arizona is this years “Team of Destiny.”

Heh, that’s what I said about the Rays.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Warner really showed me something in the Philly game. They blitzed the shit out of him, and AZ did a good job of picking up the blitzes and Warner made some amazing throws under pressure. The tag that he’s had about ‘getting in his kitchen’ doesn’t work on him anymore.

The question I have is can the Steelers defend Fitzgerald (No) and can they keep up with AZ’s scoring (No again). The Steelers are a great defensive team but an ugly offensive one that blows a ton of chances. AZ is going to break off some big plays, I just don’t see the Steelers scoring enough together to keep up.

Arizona wins.

18. Jake H says:

I can’t wait for some baseball.

19. Tom Zig says:

The picture on the Yankees home page of Jeter and A-Rod chest bumping cannot be real.

20. UWS says:

Hey, check out the old fart Brendan Shanahan! Maybe he won’t be as useless as I’d feared…

21. Bob Ruffolo says:

Don’t forget about Bernie playing for Puerto Rico

22. Manimal says:

House was decent. WICKED random ending. Really? Epilepsy in Testicles?

23. Let’s play a game. You’re appointed manager of the Dominican team. How do you set up your line-up?

Assuming there’s a DH, I do:

Hanley Ramirez DH
      Alex Rodriguez 3B
      Albert Pujols 1B
      Vladimir Guerrero RF
      Miguel Olivo C
      Melky Cabrera CF

I don’t think you can lose with that team. (Probably wins 105 games in the MLB, in fact)

• Matt says:

Reyes SS
      Ramirez DH
      Pujols 1B
      Rodriguez 3B
      Guerrero RF
      Soriano LF
      Olivo C
      Cabrera CF
      Cano 2B

I win. You lose.

• Mike A. says:

Using ’08 stats and those players (as opposed to other guys on their prov. roster), Pinto’s lineup analysis thing says the best lineup is:

1. Pujols, 1B
      2. A-Rod, 3B
      3. Reyes, SS
      4. Soriano, LF
      5. Hanley, DH
      6. Olivo, C
      7. Vlad, RF
      8. Cano, 2B
      9. Melky, CF

You could also flip Soriano & Vlad and get the same number of runs per game: 6.183. That’s 1001.6 runs over 162 games.

• A.D. says:

Rotation
      Edinson Volquez, R
      Ervin Santana, R
      Francisco Liriano, L
      Ubaldo Jiminez, R
      Wandy Rodriguez, L

That’s probably a team that wins over 100 games in the Majors despite some of the question marks in pitching. That lineup really is too scary.

24. Jamal G. says:

Outside of Dr. Cuddy offering Cameron her job, tonight’s episode of “House” was pretty weak – a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.

25. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Good article (as usual) by Buster, and he echoes my thoughts about the Tribe. I think they are poised for a bounce back year. Might be a bit short on starting pitching, but in that division they should be fine.

Also, check this out.

“The Indians’ lineup has more depth and length than it did a year ago. So far, Travis Hafner is feeling good in his rehabilitation from shoulder surgery, informing the front office that the feels much better, like the difference between day and night. He has also hired a personal chef and worked on his nutrition. “Kind of a dual approach,” said Shapiro. “He’s lost some weight.” ”

If Hafner regains his 06 form, that lineup gets serious. I think he and Sizemore were 1-2 in VORP in 06. Some combination of Sizemore, Martinez, Hafner, Derosa, Peralta and Shoppach with Matt LaPorta on the way. That’s a playoff team caliber lineup.

• Mike Pop says:

Definitely. That lineup will probably create a top 3 offense in the MLB.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Question will be do they have enough starting pitching (Bullpen looks solid). Is Cliff Lee a late blooming lefty or a flash in the pan? Can Pavano stay healthy? I like Laffey better than Sowers, but you never know with lefties, both could go in either direction.

That’s what will determine whether they run away with the Central or turn into the 08 Tigers.

• A.D. says:

If Carmona can stay healthy

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Nah, I think Carmona was bound to break down after throwing 215 plus the playoffs at age 22 in 07. That was a 100+ inning jump from the year before, and 40+ over his career highs. Plus, it was a fairly freakish hip strain that happened covering 1B with him. He should be fine.

• Ryan S. says:

Cliff Lee should continue to do good, I’m pretty sure everything I’ve read about him indicates he’s a late bloomer. I bet he wins 15 or 16 games for Cleveland next year.

• A.D. says:

Garko
          Hafner
          Peralta
          Francisco
          Cabrera

• Mike A. says:

I said the same thing about the M’s and Ichiro for years, but now he’s just a speedy singles hitter that can’t do much of anything besides leadoff.

• Matt says:

“No, Freddi Gonzalez and Eric Wedge are morons for batting Hanley Ramirez and Grady Sizemore lead-off, respectively, don’t follow suit.”

Bingo. Same thing with Leyland and Granderson.

• Jamal G. says:

Nah, that’s understandable when you take into account that they have better-than-stellar three-four guys in Magglio Ordonez and Miguel Cabrera respectively.

• Jamal G. says:

Nah, that’s understandable when you take into account that they have better-than-stellar three-four guys in Magglio Ordonez and Miguel Cabrera, respectively.

• Matt says:

That’s true; the Granderson example isn’t as egregious now that Cabrera’s been added to the lineup. I still think his power is wasted in the leadoff spot a bit, though.

• A.D. says:

I put him there because thats likely what will happen… though bringing grady back to the 3hole, and playing DeRosa there makes sense.

Leading off with Choo is wasting power even more so if Choo can continue off last year

• Honestly, I think 2008 was a fluke for the Indians. We’re looking at a team like the 2007 team, but better.

• Mike A. says:

Record with CC: 37-51
      Record after trade: 44-30

26. kSturnz says:

jack has a thing for her, and she has a thing for torture, a perfect rebound for Jack!!

27. UWS says:

Hey Rebecca, how ’bout them Devils, eh? First place in division, baby!

28. MikeD says:

Doesn’t look like the Yankees will have mutch of a bullpen in Spring Training!

29. totouchtoneterrorist says:

The Dominican team looks great on paper but A-Rod,Gurrero in the clutch????

Thats what is great about the WBC it’s a post-season type of series.You can throw around numbers and stats but in the end they are useless.I rather have Beltran or Bernie in the clutch then A-Rod.

30. yankeefan91 (rooting for team dominicana) says:

y isnt ortiz in team dominicana lineup hes on the roster

31. usty says:

24 with the silent clock. Damn it. She is too hot to be dead already.